Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Squishy posted:

Cody should join the Dark Order and the Four Horsemen will be the the entire Dark Order and FTR.

Hollywood Cody incoming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Over in the WWE thread, someone posted that HHH told Ryback that John Cena was the last marquee name wrestling would ever have.

We all talk about WWE being focused on "the Brand" over superstars. Is AEW always going to be seen as a competing "brand" to WWE, or is there a chance for a legit superstar to become a new household name ala Hogan and Austin?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Over in the WWE thread, someone posted that HHH told Ryback that John Cena was the last marquee name wrestling would ever have.

We all talk about WWE being focused on "the Brand" over superstars. Is AEW always going to be seen as a competing "brand" to WWE, or is there a chance for a legit superstar to become a new household name ala Hogan and Austin?
I honestly believe Hangman would be on his way right now if covid hadn't happened

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

CobiWann posted:

I don't think it'll ever get to that point again but if someone (hangman) did get extremely over and was approaching that level, I don't think AEW would kneecap them (intentionally) like WWE would.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

I honestly believe Hangman would be on his way right now if covid hadn't happened

Yup. Such a shame.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Hangman or Starks seem like the ones most likely to eventually pull off mainstream success, even if I don’t think that actually exists anymore.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think AEW as a brand has to reach some saturation point before it can be the primordial goop that a household name comes from, to that end presuming we're on that trajectory i think MJF and Hangman could easily

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Jack Perry is right there dudes

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

And to that end, I don’t think any wrestling will ever rise to the level of popularity it had in the late 90s and early aughts.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Hangman would make a great guest star as a bad guy on that Sammo Hung show Martial Law, or an alien from the a cowboy planet on Deep Space Nine.

Total attitude era level star

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

large agree.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if jack perry's entire skillset for connecting with people is to be the plucky underdog who can get mad in the middle of a good match then he's going to be super over but will never be anywhere near part of the zeitgeist. no idea if that's all he's got though since he hasn't been asked/allowed to go beyond that. and maybe no one can anyway so i'm not trying to poo poo on him

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

projecthalaxy posted:

Do you fine folks really think Cody is going to lose the Cody Presents Cody Wins Belt, Starring Cody

You're right, of course, he's going to hold it until he dies and they bury him wearing it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lamuella posted:

they bury him wearing it.

Very apt

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

no no no, they'll have him wearing it for the viewing, but then switch it for his weight belt when its time to lower the casket.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

And to that end, I don’t think any wrestling will ever rise to the level of popularity it had in the late 90s and early aughts.

And the media world is so different, it's hard to imagine that any wrestler can reach that level of recognition now without a much more significant external catalyst. Short of someone being cast, and then crushing their role, in a Marvel film or a good Star War the only thing I can think of doing it would be if the AEW video game just blows the doors off and becomes a massive crossover hit, which opens the floodgates into AEW and lets the star power flow back out.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I just hope they get the AEW game out on the current console generation, but I’m not optimistic at this point, never could get into Fire Pro, especially once you had to start buying DLC for all your CAWs to work.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the ps5 and XSX are both confirmed backwards compatible (the disc-drive versions at least) so it's not a complete loss/waste to develop for current gen. this is gonna be capcom's first "sports" franchise so it will be interesting to see if they do a yearly model or a legacy title with dlc updates issued periodically to have an updating roster. the way they treat fighting games seems to point to the second model, and i don't necessarily hate it, especially if the dlc wrestlers (im in straight theory mode here) wind up being legends of the ring instead of holding back vital roster members to ensure you'll sell character packs (ie no hangman at launch, in dlc wave 1, proud n powerful in wave 2, etc)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the install base of last-gen consoles is usually enough to get companies to release their games on the older hardware for an extra year or even two unless it's meant to be an exclusive system seller type of game. i'm pretty sure ports are also the easiest they have ever been given the hardware this gen and next gen use. i wouldn't expect a game to come out next year though really. i dunno

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The next gen consoles are fully backwards compatible, it’s just that obviously any discs you own won’t be able to put into the digital only versions since there’s no drive (and neither platform holder will say “oh yeah, BC is 100%” because then one game turns out to not work and suddenly someone tries to start a class action over false advertising).

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i still usually wait 2-3 years into a console generation before buying one to make sure the hardware issues are worked out/the price has dropped by the time i get one. plus by then whichever console i get has a pretty well established library.

i dunno which way im gonna lean for next gen, its definitely gonna depend on the games. i think i lean ps5 but nothing's locked in

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

my method is to only own a Dreamcast and a Gameboy SP, so far so good! y'all are suckers.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its weird how the dreamcast is considered a failure (really its only a failure due to the distrust in the market sega earned during their constant waffling between the 16 and 32 bit transition era and the poisonous relationship between sega of japan and sega of america and their inability to communicate) but the console itself is beloved seemingly universally by gamers. it was def my favorite console of its gen even though it died early and it did kill me on the inside to see the good dreamcast games get ported to other consoles and get ignored :(

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Have I missed some kind of concrete AEW game news or is everyone on the speculative “they’re doing Capcom x AEW shirts so clearly Capcom are doing the game” train and deciding that’s fact?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i hated the controller and only played like 4 games on my dreamcast but somehow had a strong attachment to it. there is something about mary

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have I missed some kind of concrete AEW game news or is everyone on the speculative “they’re doing Capcom x AEW shirts so clearly Capcom are doing the game” train and deciding that’s fact?

just speculation but the relationship makes sense especially with kenny omega and ceo being often linked to aew and to capcom.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

History Comes Inside! posted:

It's definitely happening and Aubrey Edwards is project manager because that was her career once upon a time. I don't know that we have much more concrete than that though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

can someone tweet at kenny or tony or aubrey and find out im not on twitter anymore and cant do it

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The Four Horsemen should be FTR and Shawn Spears and it's never explained why there's only 3 of them

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The dreamcast sold less units than the saturn. I've even seen a saturn. Which apparently had a thousand games. But yeah, every gamer I knew back then loved the Dreamcast. Even the PC gamers in my extended circles did, since it had arcade stuff they craved. Sold sub 10 million units.

The N64 is considered a massive success but sold half the units of the NES and one third the units of the PS1. poo poo's just weird.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think i am piecing together some hot info.

first, this tweet

https://twitter.com/RefAubrey/status/1204103679151751169

next, this

quote:

In an appearance on Talk Is Jericho, Edwards confirmed an AEW game is in the development stage and she’s one of the people working on it. “We’re very, very early on. There’s a lot of things that we’re talking about,” she revealed.

Edwards has the title of Project Coordinator, and it’s not without merit. Prior to her career in wrestling, she worked for 10 years in the gaming industry for companies like Nintendo and XBOX.

She said she’s even been collaborating with Kenny Omega on ideas and the two have the fans in mind, first and foremost. “It really comes down to what people want, like Create-A-Characters are really important because people like having that creativity aspect or if there’s a character that’s not in the game, people want to create it,” she said.

to me it sounds like aubrey edwards is the 'project manager' of aew projects including the video game that they are going to pitch to someone or some poo poo. idk how you can be more than that without working for the game company. so i bet they don't really have anything truly developed but i'm scared to @ people on twitter

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JOHN CENA posted:

its weird how the dreamcast is considered a failure (really its only a failure due to the distrust in the market sega earned during their constant waffling between the 16 and 32 bit transition era and the poisonous relationship between sega of japan and sega of america and their inability to communicate) but the console itself is beloved seemingly universally by gamers. it was def my favorite console of its gen even though it died early and it did kill me on the inside to see the good dreamcast games get ported to other consoles and get ignored :(

played backups out of the box, insane homebrew scene, emulators, etc. also PSO, what's not to love!

all the piracy stuff sucks for SEGA, but yeah, it's easy to see why it's beloved

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when i said "truly developed" earlier i meant in development. but i was trying to respect that concepts and planning are absolutely part of development. instead, i disrespected it all and myself

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Cavauro posted:

i think i am piecing together some hot info.

first, this tweet

https://twitter.com/RefAubrey/status/1204103679151751169

next, this

to me it sounds like aubrey edwards is the 'project manager' of aew projects including the video game that they are going to pitch to someone or some poo poo. idk how you can be more than that without working for the game company. so i bet they don't really have anything truly developed but i'm scared to @ people on twitter

Fantastic, can't wait to see how the AEW is when they finally unveil it. Probably a good while yet but I'm totally pumped to get my hands on a AEW game.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Didn't even TNA manage to make money with their wrestling games? The markets wide open.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
another good part of BTE were the Beaver Boys getting tossed by the ref

i like the idea that in the BTEverse wrestlers are beholden to ref rules 24/7

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Time to watch some lady grapplin' y'all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0yzHi-vh6o

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Here we go gently caress yeah. Excited for both these matches.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
omg i love Swolenation, i hope they booked this right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The nightmare sisters theme is hilarious, I love it.