Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of it kinda comes off just as much classism and regular ol' jealousy, Fleur being supernaturally beautiful making Molly think she's likely to ditch Bill as soon as someone better looking comes along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Daikloktos posted:

To be fair I didn't get too much a racist read off Molly. You sure it's not all the other Weasley's you're grouping her in with or am I just remembering her too warmly

There was a bit in book one where Ron mentions his mom has a squib second cousin who worked as an accountant, but no one ever likes to talk about him. Which was just a tiny world-building detail in the first book, but takes a different tone as the series went on.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of it kinda comes off just as much classism and regular ol' jealousy, Fleur being supernaturally beautiful making Molly think she's likely to ditch Bill as soon as someone better looking comes along.

You're probably right. It just looks way worse with how Fleur got treated in the fourth book, imo. Though speaking of classism, I remember how in the 4th book, Molly disapproved of Fred and George's goal of opening a joke shop since she didn't consider it a respectable job. She even destroyed all of their merchandise, which I think Fred and George used most of their savings to create? Though maybe I'm conflating that with the time they lost all their money from someone scamming them from a bet they made.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fred and George opened a fantastically successful shop that Molly hated or something and Fleur was defined by her non-human (french) blood.

Also the films are worse than I remembered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw0RWnC28Gs

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 16, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Fred and George opened a fantastically successful shop that Molly hated or something and Fleur was defined by her non-human (french) blood.
It's canon in the HP universe that the French are magically transformed frogs and not actual humans.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TheAardvark posted:

be honest how many kids did you end up spoiling

My little brother was at a metal concert when the books were still coming out and they had a ticker that you could text messages to and they'd display, and the messages were a split of "We love you [band]!" and Harry Potter spoilers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hey, Snape kills Dumbledore!

NOOO, YOU BITCH!!!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I got spoiled by a youtube comment spam that said what page everyone dies on

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Not Harry Potter but before The Matrix Revolutions came out I guessed that Neo would die so I put on my AIM away message that Neo dies as a joke. I had a friend that just LOVED the Matrix and he swore to me if it was true he would defriend me.

And he did.

I don’t regret it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't remember being spoiled on anything, but I do remember successfully guessing that Harry was a horcrux, which seems more plot-relevant than the grab bag of background character deaths.

Breakfast Burrito posted:

Yep it sucks massively. My partner got me tickets to the cursed child for my 30th and while it was p much bad fan fic I had a great time and it tickled my nostalgia bones in just the right way, and now I just feel annoyed and sad thinking about it

I'm a little surprised at how harshly people have taken Rowling's later in life turn, and how much they're letting it affect their feelings to the work she finished over a decade ago. I don't think she's the only creator of some well-loved work to take a bad turn later in life.

I know that she kind of built some kind of longer-term authorship thing over her work where she kept retroactively adding bits and pieces on twitter, and the franchise as a whole was running strong and Warner Brothers was trying to make it into an equivalent of Star Wars (which it's neat to see that start to fall apart), but the old work as you remember it is still in the past and unchanged.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also the films are worse than I remembered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw0RWnC28Gs

It's family fun at the movies, here's an insert shot of jiggling teen girl asses

Something for Daddy

dialhforhero posted:

Not Harry Potter but before The Matrix Revolutions came out I guessed that Neo would die so I put on my AIM away message that Neo dies as a joke. I had a friend that just LOVED the Matrix and he swore to me if it was true he would defriend me.

And he did.

I don’t regret it.

Well Neo's apparently alive in Matrix 4 so you can be friends again

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

JethroMcB posted:

IWell Neo's apparently alive in Matrix 4 so you can be friends again

yeah wasn't the deal that he left his body to inhabit the matrix itself, or something? i never played tmo, but i thought they tried to use that as a sort of multimedia epilogue

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Raluek posted:

yeah wasn't the deal that he left his body to inhabit the matrix itself, or something? i never played tmo, but i thought they tried to use that as a sort of multimedia epilogue

In the MMO there was a subplot that Neo had been reborn as woman, because of course the trans subtext of the films just had to become actual text. Also Morpheus died by being shot in the head after three movies of dodging gatling guns and semi trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWPey1fU9Ok

The ultimate ending of almost a decade of multimedia world building and hundreds of millions of dollars of budgets was literally everyone's heads going up their asses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfeGPilWZp0&t=35s

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Raluek posted:

From what I gathered they played with Neo's fate in TMO a lot (The Machines said Neo's body was not recycled/destroyed but offered no further details; there was a questline to collect parts of Neo's code inside the Matrix but it didn't bring him back; hints that he may have reincarnated himself as an amnesiac woman; etc.) but they never got into definitive answers territory before the game shut down.

In any case I'm guessing that Lana Wachowski is going to totally ignore all that stuff for 4, even though it was positioned as the canonical continuation of the story when it was running.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's canon in the HP universe that the French are magically transformed frogs and not actual humans.

Having not followed any of the insane post-series facts JKR put out, I seriously can't tell if this is real or not, like how some goon mentioned that American wizards called non-magical people "No-Maj".

Sydin posted:

NOOO, YOU BITCH!!!

I laughed out loud when this came up in the seventh book because of how much of a tonal swerve it was.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

amigolupus posted:

Having not followed any of the insane post-series facts JKR put out, I seriously can't tell if this is real or not

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm a little surprised at how harshly people have taken Rowling's later in life turn, and how much they're letting it affect their feelings to the work she finished over a decade ago. I don't think she's the only creator of some well-loved work to take a bad turn later in life.

I know that she kind of built some kind of longer-term authorship thing over her work where she kept retroactively adding bits and pieces on twitter, and the franchise as a whole was running strong and Warner Brothers was trying to make it into an equivalent of Star Wars (which it's neat to see that start to fall apart), but the old work as you remember it is still in the past and unchanged.

I mean it's more that I'm trans, and finding out she has decided to spend a not small amount of time and money actively working to make my already difficult life much more difficult really sucks, and kind of poisons any desire I have to engage with it. It's pretty hard to even look back at the joy I had with the books as a little kid without a tiny voice saying "psst hey. hey. she hates you"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also the overall feeling that a particular amount of elements in Harry Potter revolve around completely arbitrary and unfair authorities, something a 90s kid may accent as a given but a 2020 teenager by necessity has to question as a survival/not-getting-molested mechanism.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

looks like those clowns at the ministry have done it again! ghost nazis patrol school now. dumbledore chuckled, "I tried to persuade Cornelius, but he was quite insistent!"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In the first half of Deathly Hallows, did holding the locket all the time also make Ron DUMB AS poo poo in addition to being an rear end in a top hat? Because how else do you explain him having to be told like every other page by Hermione that you can't magically create food everytime he was hungry?

A lesson that must have been, like, first year day 1 of whatever class dealt with that kind of magic, and also being from a poor magic family surely he would have known that the first time they didn't have enough food and just asked mom and dad to magic-up some more and was told they can't.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

DrBouvenstein posted:

In the first half of Deathly Hallows, did holding the locket all the time also make Ron DUMB AS poo poo in addition to being an rear end in a top hat? Because how else do you explain him having to be told like every other page by Hermione that you can't magically create food everytime he was hungry?

A lesson that must have been, like, first year day 1 of whatever class dealt with that kind of magic, and also being from a poor magic family surely he would have known that the first time they didn't have enough food and just asked mom and dad to magic-up some more and was told they can't.

His mom was constantly cooking and applying fattening spells to her children

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

DrBouvenstein posted:

jk expects us to believe you can't magic food but how many times is wizard agriculture mentioned or alluded to in the books? Oh wizards just use muggle money to buy food at the supermarket? Yeah right.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

jk expects us to believe you can't magic food but how many times is wizard agriculture mentioned or alluded to in the books? Oh wizards just use muggle money to buy food at the supermarket? Yeah right.

wizarding society leaches off muggle society and refuses to acknowledge it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The first third of DH is so loving dumb.

"Okay so we're stuck in this forest. What are we doing?"
"We have to find the horcruxes."
"Okay, do you know where any of them could be?"
"No."
"Did we prepare at all for this extended quest in terms of provisions or materials?"
"No."
"Not gonna lie Harry, that sounds not great."
"GOD RON YOU'RE SUCH AN rear end in a top hat, JUST LEAVE THEN."

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

DH had so much drat padding, they should have just kept them in Hogwarts but hiding in the dark corners of the castle / the room of requirement and relying on polyjuice potion to not get their cover blown

Hell, the book would be a lot better if they just used Sirius Black's old pad as their base of operations

But them camping out in the middle of loving nowhere between major plot beats?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Feldegast42 posted:

DH had so much drat padding, they should have just kept them in Hogwarts but hiding in the dark corners of the castle / the room of requirement and relying on polyjuice potion to not get their cover blown

Hell, the book would be a lot better if they just used Sirius Black's old pad as their base of operations

But them camping out in the middle of loving nowhere between major plot beats?

They do spend a couple weeks crashing at Grimmauld Place, they end up being forced to leave for some stupid reasons because camping was just that important to the story JKR wanted to tell.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The camping allowed the film to get really weird with it so I'm in favour of the camping.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Not sure what's the deal with Harry falling for the old woman made of snakes gambit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zore posted:

They do spend a couple weeks crashing at Grimmauld Place, they end up being forced to leave for some stupid reasons because camping was just that important to the story JKR wanted to tell.

Why did they have to bounce from Sirius' pad again? Some dumb technicality that made the new secret keeper a nazi or something?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sydin posted:

Why did they have to bounce from Sirius' pad again? Some dumb technicality that made the new secret keeper a nazi or something?

When Dumbledore died everyone who knew about it became a Secret Keeper including Snape

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 18, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
dumbass move on Dumbledore's part, everybody knows you gotta switch succession types to primogeniture or at least elective, gavelkind just fucks everything up when you die smdh

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Sydin posted:

The first third of DH is so loving dumb.

"Okay so we're stuck in this forest. What are we doing?"
"We have to find the horcruxes."
"Okay, do you know where any of them could be?"
"No."
"Did we prepare at all for this extended quest in terms of provisions or materials?"
"No."
"Not gonna lie Harry, that sounds not great."
"GOD RON YOU'RE SUCH AN rear end in a top hat, JUST LEAVE THEN."

I remember that I was excited like Ron and Hermione when Harry talked about getting private lessons from Dumbledore, thinking that he'll be taught how to lead the Order and how to duel like a champ. But no, it's just... showing Harry Voldemort's backstory. It was a baffling wasted of time how Dumbledore didn't just give Harry a TL;DR and a checklist of the Horcruxes so they could focus on actually teaching Harry how to survive against evil wizards. :psyduck:

Also, one of the main reasons they didn't have enough provisions or materials was because Molly was actively hindering them from planning together. Instead of helping them get food that will last them for months, she constantly gave them separate chores. Literally the only reason Harry didn't die from hunger or from being out in the elements was because Hermione had her bag of holding.

Sydin posted:

IIRC, they risked going to Sirius' place and thought the others must have charmed it to keep Snape out. They then stayed there for a bit before coming up with the plan to infiltrate the Ministry to get the locket from Umbridge. But while escaping after fulfilling their mission, Umbridge or someone grabbed them while they were teleporting back to Sirius' house. This somehow makes it so that the nazi wizards can just go into their place whenever they want.

What makes this so loving stupid is that it contradicts everything we knew about the Secret Keeper deal, where A) The Secret Keeper must tell the other person where the place is, otherwise they won't even be able to see through the folded space, and B) Being told the secret doesn't turn you into a Secret Keeper, so they only had to deal with one wizard anyway.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

For real though how do wizards get food. They don't seem to understand muggle money and I'm sure they don't have currency exchange shops. Do they just loving steal food from muggle homes and stores like rats? Do they hijack produce trucks to ASDA and Kroger?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
There's probably, like, four or five Wizard Farms that use magic and potions not to conjure food but to achieve ConAgra-level yields in relatively tiny plots that can supply the entire wizarding community of the British Isles. They've got a little farmer's market square set up in Diagon Alley and everybody buys from them.

Also the farm's proprietors all hate each other (because the wizarding world is vast and huge but also everybody knows everybody, and every family has a detailed and ugly history intertwined with everybody else's.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

Also the farm's proprietors all hate each other (because the wizarding world is vast and huge but also everybody knows everybody, and every family has a detailed and ugly history intertwined with everybody else's.)

That's just England

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fleur is stuck up and acts like she's better than Molly's entire family in a really bratty way and keeps talking about how pretty Charlie is instead of any of his qualities that's not, you know, he's hot. Everyone finds her annoying as hell because for the longest time she's acting like a shallow annoying douche and she's not good enough for Molly's son at that point.

Then Charlie gets hosed up by a werewolf and she sticks around proving everyone wrong.

Edit: I might be confusing Bill and Charlie here, I can't remember which is which

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

For real though how do wizards get food. They don't seem to understand muggle money and I'm sure they don't have currency exchange shops. Do they just loving steal food from muggle homes and stores like rats? Do they hijack produce trucks to ASDA and Kroger?

Farm Elves, probably

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And the elves are not the ones working the farms

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Smash mouth eat the elves

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Man with Hat posted:

Fleur is stuck up and acts like she's better than Molly's entire family in a really bratty way and keeps talking about how pretty Charlie is instead of any of his qualities that's not, you know, he's hot. Everyone finds her annoying as hell because for the longest time she's acting like a shallow annoying douche and she's not good enough for Molly's son at that point.

Then Charlie gets hosed up by a werewolf and she sticks around proving everyone wrong.

Edit: I might be confusing Bill and Charlie here, I can't remember which is which

Yeah, it was Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ooh, I made the thread title. :3:

And during the whole "we have no idea what we're doing other than hiding in the woods to not be caught," scenario, why didn't they just apparate into a loving Tesco at midnight, steal some food, then go back to their camp?