Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I've been watching the Futari wa Precure dub recently and it's very good. Other than the character name changes and a couple of questionable localization choices (turning the episode about WWII bombing into being about an earthquake instead was probably the most egregious one) it is very faithful and in a few cases a minor change even enhanced the overall experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pikestaff posted:

I've been watching the Futari wa Precure dub recently and it's very good. Other than the character name changes and a couple of questionable localization choices (turning the episode about WWII bombing into being about an earthquake instead was probably the most egregious one) it is very faithful and in a few cases a minor change even enhanced the overall experience.

Not too bothered about Pisard becoming Pijard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not too bothered about Pisard becoming Pijard.

If anything it’s an improvement as Pisard was a stupid name anyway. Voice acting was decent enough as well.

Out of curiosity, why did the Futari dub never make it to the US?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

pissard is the perfect name

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

If anything it’s an improvement as Pisard was a stupid name anyway. Voice acting was decent enough as well.

Agreed

Also I am Canadian so the dub was my first exposure to the franchise.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Aurora posted:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While ideally I’d prefer if they didn’t change anything, the Futari Wa dub is pretty much the best of the three by default and I hope any potential future attempts to localize the series in the west will be more like that and less like Glitter Force.

To the latter’s credit though, some of the voice acting and music was decent (particularly Cherami Leigh as Regina), the Happy Robo episode of Smile is hilarious in both languages and Mackenzie Mack is a pretty good name.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 27, 2020

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

My off the cuff best guess might be licensing rights. I know 4Kids had the license to Precure in America but never did anything with it, so maybe them sitting on the license closed that door? But again, this is just a guess.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Aurora posted:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I found some more Precure concept art (this time of Melody and Rhythm from Suite):

It seems Melody originally had Beat’s hair and Rhythm was going to be a Purple Cure.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 27, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, I found some more Precure concept art (this time of Melody and Rhythm from Suite):

It seems Melody originally had Beat’s hair and Rhythm was going to be a Purple Cure.

Not bad designs but I can see why they didn't go with them as it feels just a bit to much like Heartcatch

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Hibiki in particular looks barely recognizable. Out of curiosity though, is Rhythm the only Cure that actually changed colors over the course of her development?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of prototypes, here’s Heart and Sword from DokiDoki:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some new titles are out:

EP19: To Protect Latte...! The Winds of Prayer and the Miraculous Girl

EP20: Now, Our Wish is Linked...! We Are Cure Earth

EP21: A Pleasure to Meet You! I Am Asumi Fuurin

EP22: Don't Run Away Latte! An Invisible Body and Flourishing Thoughts

Seems Asumi will be making her debut in episode 19 and transforming into Cure Earth in the following one.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 30, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Healin Good 18: That was a pretty good Nyatoran episode. Always a little weird when a mascot falls in love with a human, but Hinata was being very supportive of him... until it was revealed that she already has someone. A sweet episode, and a good showcase for the Hinata and Nyatoran pair. Also liked the dream sequence where everyone wondered if Nyatoran would partner up with her and make an adult Cure, something that's happened only on very rare occasions. At least, now that this stretch is over, we can finally get started on the Asumi/Cure Earth saga.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nyatoran Joe is up there with Brave Donuts for top level Precure Ashita no Joe jokes

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I do have to thank Brave Donuts for introducing me to Ashita no Joe by way of that goofy rear end sight gag. Or more specifically the person I shared Gopri with who freaked the hell out when they got to that part and identified the reference, since I'd seen it a couple of times elsewhere and never actually knew it was a specific thing they were riffing on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, if anyone here is from there is KiraKira available on Crunchyroll in the UK by now? If so, how are the subs?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently Toei made official English versions of Fresh Precure’s two ending themes:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LtLZxYxNJhM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6Mibkrk4Ihg

As well as one for HeartCatch:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vqP9nSeiaGs

Also, Cure Earth’s Image song is out now as well:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EJFb56tnouI

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, if anyone here is from there is KiraKira available on Crunchyroll in the UK by now? If so, how are the subs?

I asked a friend who is in the UK and they said it's not on Crunchy yet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

I asked a friend who is in the UK and they said it's not on Crunchy yet.

Has a release date at least been set yet? KiraKira isn’t one of my personal favorites but it’d still be nice if it made it to the US eventually.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

She’s here....

Pretty good episode that focused around Latte at first. As it turns out, MotW illness can be cured easily but a normal dog sickness not as much. However, with some help from the Queen, Cure Earth is summoned into the world once again. No formal transformation or real character introduction for her. She just turns up and turns the tide for the core trio. Her actual, proper intro happens next week.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 10, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Healin Good 20: Asumi's deubt was pretty enjoyable. She was born to protect Latte, but comes to realize that Latte wants to fight on her own alongside her. Her transformation and Healing Hurricane were both pretty great and I'm also certain they killed off Batetemoda. The new ED is pretty catchy and has a big band type feeling to it

Also fun fact, the new ED is performed by Cure Sword’s VA (who I believe has done a few songs for Precure before).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 16, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kinda of shocked that for now Cure Earth Is a Fairy and not a ghost/reincarnation of the original. Wonder if we'll get the original's back story or Asumi maybe doesn't have her full memories or some other twist

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Kinda of shocked that for now Cure Earth Is a Fairy and not a ghost/reincarnation of the original. Wonder if we'll get the original's back story or Asumi maybe doesn't have her full memories or some other twist

So this would technically be our first fairy x fairy team in the series then right? That’s sort of unique. Judging by the Queen’s line at the end I assume the original Cure Earth’s name was Fuu (which I guess is where her last name comes from, though I wonder if there’s some significance in the planet creating her in the exact image of the ancient Precure).

Somehow it doesn’t feel like Batetemoda is gone for good either but we’ll see I guess

But on the other hand, I guess we know where the name “Cure Earth” comes from now.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was watching this on Crunchyroll until the translator news came out, so I swapped back to the fansubs. Anyway I just saw 19, and Cure Earth got me wondering. How many adult Precure have there been? It seems like they're usually no older than high school, but this one is apparently a little older.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was watching this on Crunchyroll until the translator news came out, so I swapped back to the fansubs. Anyway I just saw 19, and Cure Earth got me wondering. How many adult Precure have there been? It seems like they're usually no older than high school, but this one is apparently a little older.

What translator news?

As for mainline Cures, Cure Moonlight in HeartCatch was 17 and Chocolat and Macroon from KiraKira were both 16 so there’s at least some precedent.

As for actual adult Cures, there was also Cure Flower and Cure Lumiere from the same seasons respectively.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Larryb posted:

What translator news?

That Crunchyroll doesn't pay their translators livable wages. It was about a month ago I think, and maybe it was even known (or assumed) before then but it's really made me pretty discouraged from supporting them in any way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, that sucks.

Also in regards to Cure Earth, while she appears older than the others she actually was literally just born thanks to Latte's wish (seriously, Toei's website lists her birthday as today) and is only the ancient Precure in appearance alone

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

My only real complaint about Asumi is she seems a bit OP so far (even by Extra Cure standards), I’m hoping they introduce some sort of weakness/limitation for her eventually or at the very least introduce a stronger rival/monster type to even the playing field a bit.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

https://youtu.be/fVxySvF3uKo

Wow, I can't wait to see this!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FewtureMD posted:

Is that the new Doremi movie? Looks pretty good so far.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yep. Ojamajo Doremi is an extremely good show, so I'm crossing my fingers the movie is gonna live up to that even a little. The show from the same period it was on adjacent to had a movie this year that SUCKED, so it would be nice if Doremi had a nice send-off.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

FewtureMD posted:

And here I was, thinking that movie only existed in the universe of Precure...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fangz posted:

And here I was, thinking that movie only existed in the universe of Precure...

Nope, in fact it would have already been out for a few months now if it wasn’t for the pandemic.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Kira Kira Precure is on Crunchyroll for the UK and parts of Europe today. I don't live there so I don't know what the subs are like but apparently the video quality is the best you can get outside of Blu-ray.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Kira Kira Precure is on Crunchyroll for the UK and parts of Europe today. I don't live there so I don't know what the subs are like but apparently the video quality is the best you can get outside of Blu-ray.

Nice, hope it gets a release in the US eventually (and conversely, that Healin Good is eventually put on Crunchyroll for other countries as well).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Friend posted a screen cap of Yukari saying "I love her" in Episode 25 so they already kept one of the best parts barring someone animating the manga chapter for a special

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Friend posted a screen cap of Yukari saying "I love her" in Episode 25 so they already kept one of the best parts barring someone animating the manga chapter for a special

:allears: all I needed to know really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They also apparently translated Bibury (or Vibry to use Toei’s official spelling) as “Bibli” for some reason.