Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

homeless snail posted:

Can't wait until Lahabrea comes back in 7.0

Lahabrea will continue to only communicate in unskippable voiced cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, Elidibus isn't a leader any more than Levi is the leader of the Sahagin. They summoned him for a purpose, he has enough of a will that he got a big head about it, but the other Ascians we see don't ever seem to ever put him in high regard. There is like a total of one or two cutscenes where anyone listens to what he has to say, and those were years ago

The first time we meet Emet he speaks highly of Elidibus' abilities. It's the entire reason he came out of retirement.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

His abilities sure, they made him to be able

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/allaganeyes/status/1295488875586940928?s=20

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Someone post the gif of Emet-Selch giving the side-eye for me, I can't find it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I don’t understand what that is supposed to mean

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t understand what that is supposed to mean

It means Fandaniel's gonna kick our loving rear end

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
fandaniel will be dead by level 87, calling my shot

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The whole thing about Fandaniel being obsessed with gold does add to that, I think.

Personally I hope it means that 6.0 will be a commentary on the limitations of individual heroism in the face of capital accumulation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They might as well end the game there then because god knows if we could survive the blow of being beaten by a dude named Fandaniel in the crappiest body imaginable after we bodied both the last and strongest Ascian and their goddamn primal.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The whole thing about Fandaniel being obsessed with gold does add to that, I think.

Personally I hope it means that 6.0 will be a commentary on the limitations of individual heroism in the face of capital accumulation

How else do you think he can afford those white Vans?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

They might as well end the game there then because god knows if we could survive the blow of being beaten by a dude named Fandaniel in the crappiest body imaginable after we bodied both the last and strongest Ascian and their goddamn primal there's no recovering.
We nearly got murked by a nerd with a box propped up by a stick with a string, the Warrior of Light is used to humiliation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The closest anyone has legitimately come to killing the WoL was a waiter

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
It could be a reference to the past. Maybe the Azem of Emet's days got eaten by Fandaniel before the sundering, and the gold dripped down into the lifestream to create your Ardberts and your kitty-wizards and ghost-costume-lalafellers.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The closest anyone has legitimately come to killing the WoL was a waiter

I mean Emet-Selch came pretty drat close until we got an Ardbert-shaped powerup.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I hardly think Fandaniel will take down the WoL but given that this is the last expansion of the current storyline and he has a Zenos, he is sure as heck not going to make it easy for us.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fandaniel: Cerberus Mk II

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I repeat. Griever.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

YES bread posted:

I can't imagine this at all actually. it just makes the ancients sound like complete idiots and its a wonder their entire civilization didn't collapse on its own before a weird noise made them scream ghosts into reality

It’s a variation on the philosopher-king idea. Utterly daft in real life, but Amaurot is explicitly Utopian, and “child raised to be the perfect judge” is bang alongside that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
In a society that has literally never had a single major disagreement ever, there is zero downside to a young child learning on the job.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I still don't buy ANY of that about Amaurot being a utopia, but we're in a weird 'either way it works' situation on Elidibus possibly being a child. Either they are a utopia, in which case it's safe to trust a child there and their judgement is infallible... or they aren't a utopia, and are in fact a civilization so lovely or in such a bad position that they'd put a child in that role, which... also checks out, Lahabrea and Emet had to learn how to be terrible people from somewhere.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cleretic posted:

I still don't buy ANY of that about Amaurot being a utopia, but we're in a weird 'either way it works' situation on Elidibus possibly being a child. Either they are a utopia, in which case it's safe to trust a child there and their judgement is infallible... or they aren't a utopia, and are in fact a civilization so lovely or in such a bad position that they'd put a child in that role, which... also checks out, Lahabrea and Emet had to learn how to be terrible people from somewhere.

They're referring to the actual book, Utopia.

A good number of names in Amaurot come directly from it.

Hell, Amaurot is the capital of Utopia.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the most important thing about Amaurot is there's a sidequest where a dude gives us poo poo about our terrible glamours

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Cleretic posted:

More's Utopia is about how such a place is completely impossible and that's exactly what our Amaurot represents. Hythlodaeus' name literally means "Speaks Nonsense," the River Anyder comes from anhydros meaning River of No Water, etc. It wasn't perfect because no perfect society can exist. :thejoke:

Also sacrificing a child in a The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas-esque manner to bring about a dark god sorta hammers that home, too. Azem abandoning their post makes a lot more sense now since seeing twelve other people vote for that would make any person want to get the gently caress outta Dodge.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I find it funny how many people think a young eli is impossible because they confuse powerful beings with wise beings

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sentient Data posted:

I find it funny how many people think a young eli is impossible because they confuse powerful beings with wise beings

Ascian Alphinaud works for me.

I also maintain my theory that 'Emissary' seems to have been a role of spiritual leadership in Amaurot, and that also makes a fair amount of sense to be abnormally young if Eli was perceived as unusually gifted or blessed.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
do people think that? personally I just started feeling like it was just a shortcut to make Elidibus way more sympathetic in a hurry. his whole thing felt kinda half-baked but maybe it was only in comparison to the rest of SHB

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

YES bread posted:

do people think that? personally I just started feeling like it was just a shortcut to make Elidibus way more sympathetic in a hurry. his whole thing felt kinda half-baked but maybe it was only in comparison to the rest of SHB

Oh, it absolutely is, albeit one done fairly well. 5.3's use of Elidibus is honestly a really efficient use of time for character exploration; there's like, three or four scenes total where we learn anything about him, but those scenes do some goddamn WORK. Although personally, I still like him more as a villain than as a character. He was a really interesting, if brief, full-focus antagonist, and honestly I think there was more potential in the whole concept of fighting somebody who both has weaponized heroism, and basically IS weaponized heroism. We could've kept him for a couple more patches and I wouldn't have been mad.

...actually, thinking about it, he feels like a much better Vauthry followup than Emet did. My big problem with Emet and Amaurot as we got it was that it felt like they grafted the climax of a different story onto the expansion after Vauthry's death, but Elidibus actually does ride the themes and concepts of 70-79 Shadowbringers to an interesting conclusion, while Emet just sorta... told them to take a time-out while he retold Dream Zanarkand.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Everything in 5.3 jibes pretty well with what we saw of Elid. He was naive, tried to strike deals with heroes and people who believed themselves to be heroes (Urianger, us, Thordan, the WoDs), was nearly single-minded in his actions, made attempts at reconciliation and he truly and honestly thought he was the hero. Elidibus also rescued Unukalhai from his fate on the 13th, which we now know is a direct parallel to his own life's circumstances.

He wasn't a particularly deep character but there were seeds of this form of him as early as Heavensward at least.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I think that's probably it, just that the shallowness felt disappointing after mainline SHB. they did okay with what was there though and I think the stuff with G'raha and the minor Emet bits did a good job picking up the slack. everything post-trial was really fun

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think the biggest stand out to me with Kidibus, is when my friend and I were going through the Solo duty, it just came across as... super childish? Like Elidibus is making us cut down the Scions and such and acting really... simple in his morality. To the point where it just came across as a child's understanding of good and bad.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
A thought that occurred to me when talking about 5.0 to 5.3 stuff with a friend: I was thinking that Emet's line about his world having no need for heroes during the pre-trial cutscene feels like it could now be a hint of remorse at what happened with Elidibus, since he declares himself as 'mankind's first hero', but it could also just be coincidence.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Lahabrea and Emet had to learn how to be terrible people from somewhere.

They learned it from watching you.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
reminder that a mod had to beg Cleretic to stop talking about Emet-Selch in the main thread lmao

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
What I want is for Feo Ul to get really loving bored with being King and just constantly loving off to the Source to follow the WoL around making commentary filling in for Midgardsormr but jealous and Scottish

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

What I want is for Feo Ul to get really loving bored with being King and just constantly loving off to the Source to follow the WoL around making commentary filling in for Midgardsormr but jealous and Scottish

:yeah:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
While we fight Zenos, Feo Ul will beat Fandaniel to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So if elidibus was the role of 'young king'/moderator of the council, then I wonder if there was an age limit where when an elidibus gets too old they retire from their position and become a bureaucrat or debater or something and a new one is appointed.

This relies on the whole 'elidibus is a position for a young prodigy' theory being right however.

As an aside, I kinda get frustrated a bit when it seems like people forget that the council of 14 names are also government positions with many predecessors using that name.