Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
It's like some of you want to think "Hey just eat broccoli," without being even marginally willing to consider that some folks might have some issue with "broccoli" or "liver and onions," or "tomatoes," or whatever the gently caress else.

"Just prepare the food you got beaten for not liking in a different way!"

I mean what the gently caress, sicko shits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

We're willing to consider it, it's just you're exactly the kind of person this thread is about. You're unreasonably weird about food. You came into the thread that exists to talk about people who are unreasonably weird about food, told us about your unreasonable food habits, and now you're getting pissed off at us for it.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

We're willing to consider it, it's just you're exactly the kind of person this thread is about. You're unreasonably weird about food. You came into the thread that exists to talk about people who are unreasonably weird about food, told us about your unreasonable food habits, and now you're getting pissed off at us for it.

Aversions to food you got beaten for not eating is unreasonable.

Gotcha.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

gizmojumpjet posted:

Aversions to food you got beaten for not eating is unreasonable.

Gotcha.

No.
It is reasonable.

You're reasonably adverse to food for being beaten senselessly for it.

This is the UNreasonable about food thread. It says right at the top

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

No.
It is reasonable.

You're reasonably adverse to food for being beaten senselessly for it.

This is the UNreasonable about food thread. It says right at the top

It's almost like you didn't read my original post, which was a response to the whole "picky eater" bullshit content of this thread.

Hey guys maybe people are picky eaters for a reason?!?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its cuz angloamerican culture is worthless with regards to food

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

gizmojumpjet posted:

It's almost like you didn't read my original post, which was a response to the whole "picky eater" bullshit content of this thread.

Hey guys maybe people are picky eaters for a reason?!?

Maybe they are but they're probably just picky assholes and I'm not going to ask everyone if they were personal witness to the Rape of Nanjing because they don't like raw onion.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I used to drink a ton of soda as a teenager, you just get desensitized to the sugar content. I eventally got off the habit by making a rule that if I was thirsty, I had to quench it with water first before I had any sugary drinks. Now I just carry around a reusable water bottle everywhere and soda tastes too sweet and syrupy to have any more than a little bit

And for you *information* Unkey Moe, I drink it warm because da sodey is too cold my teef hurt

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Even if you accidentally boiled the hell out of a veggie, just pulverize it and turn it into a condiment. Add salt, cream, and/or butter. There you go, you can use it for something else.

naem
May 29, 2011

in basic training we carried two quart sized canteens at all times and would get the sing-song command “driiiiiiiink waaaaater” and you had to drink for as long as everyone else did.

if your canteen was emptied at all, it would make a distinctive sloshing sound and the drill sergeants would descend upon you screaming about how important hydration was, and why weren’t we filling up our canteens, you have to police those canteens, “I hear sloshin!! who’s sloshin’!! you tell me who’s sloshin’!! you show me which one a you’s sloshin’!” and then everyone around you would be punished with exercise.

You also had to tilt the canteen back enough that you couldn’t pretend to drink and keep it full.

We realized the best bet to avoid the torture was to have both full for morning inspection, then drink an entire quart canteen empty before it made any sounds, and then fake drinking from the empty one all day and act like you just finished a whole canteen any time you got too much attention.

If you “killed” a whole canteen you were always allowed to refill it while they yelled “outstanding!” at you.

If you timed it right and were a good actor you probably only had to drink 3 or four quarts of water a day vs the, several gallons you’d otherwise be drowning in

I drink an entire nalgene bottle of water every morning to this day

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Internetjack posted:

Also, I used to hate cilantro. Could not stand the heady flavor. Would not eat pesto at all. I gave it a second and third try though and now enjoy it. Beyond allergies, if you aren't willing to re-try foods you "don't like" occasionally; like two years, five years, ten years later, you are seriously limiting your flavor experience in this lifetime.

Before this post, I had never heard of cilantro pesto at all. It's definitely not traditional, or even common, and I say that as someone who loves cilantro and pesto. I think I've heard of spinach based pesto, but I have never personally had nor known anyone to ever have a pesto made from any other leafy herb than basil. I mean, I'd try it, but it wouldn't really be pesto.

UltraRed posted:

Even if you accidentally boiled the hell out of a veggie, just pulverize it and turn it into a condiment. Add salt, cream, and/or butter. There you go, you can use it for something else.

Definitely this. Overcooked vegetables can be saved, at least in part, by blending them. As you point out, they can make condiments with the addition of other flavors. I like to add different types of vinegar to different blended vegetables. I really like to blend overcooked vegetables as a blended soup. Depending on the vegetable, a little cream or plain yogurt, a few herbs, and you can make a great hot or cold soup.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

I drink an entire nalgene bottle of water every morning to this day

how many peeps in boot camp get water poisoning

naem
May 29, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

how many peeps in boot camp get water poisoning

nausea, vomiting, cramps, and fatigue are all constant states

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
how much is a nalgene anyway. two or three frumpkins?

Woden
May 6, 2006
An old room mate of mine drank so much water he couldn't go on a road trip longer than an hour without needing a piss break. I get that a lot of people aren't hydrating enough, but some people take it to the extreme.

I've read similar things about sugar. Sugar is bad, therefore to some idiots all carbs are evil.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Parents can and do, sometimes unknowingly poison their children's minds against certain foods. Treating carrots and peas as something "ewwwy" vs something delicious. Kid grows up hating carrots and peas for no good reason other than an early childhood memory. Parent's responsibility is to try not to do this in the first place. Kid's responsibility is to move beyond their indoctrinization and try new and old stuff in new and old ways.

Mommy used to boil the poo poo out of the vegies and make them into unpalatable paste...? Too loving bad. Look up a recipe, learn to cook and try some old stuff in new and exciting ways. There is a whole world of good stuff to eat out there.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Internetjack posted:

Mommy used to boil the poo poo out of the vegies and make them into unpalatable paste...? Too loving bad. Look up a recipe, learn to cook and try some old stuff in new and exciting ways. There is a whole world of good stuff to eat out there.

Where does this weird aggression towards other people's diets come from? Look how you worded that. It's so unnecessarily angry and superior.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Where does this weird aggression towards other people's diets come from? Look how you worded that. It's so unnecessarily angry and superior.

because whenever there's a mixed gathering for food you have to cater to the one with the most baby palate in the group and they singlehandedly drag everyone else down with them. Couple this with many of us having the exact same excuses as these people who just refuse to change, and it just gets frustrating that these people exist. I was raised in a single parent household so lived almost entirely out of boxed food until I started living on my own and hated basically everything green, but because I hated being that guy who kept saying "can the pizza just be meat and cheese" or "can we go to a different restaurant" I put in the effort to change, most people with the exceptions of allergies or I guess getting beaten with comically large cucumbers should be able to do this too, they just don't.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

It's my lack of tolerance for dancy-sissy-pants whiner level of bitching?

This world is abundant in delicious foods. Grown adults that "will not eat food xyz because it is gross" can just gently caress off. Grow up. Learn to cook and enjoy the wonders of this planet.

If something is goddamn poisonous to your chemistry, then fair enough. Don't eat that.

If you are a grown adult and have not tried food xyz in 15 years because of boohoo, well, that poo poo is on you as a human, not the fault of the food.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It sounds like you guys are the ones with the problem really. I think people should be free to choose to eat or to not eat whatever they like without having to worry about some mentally unstable person at the table melting down at them over it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Everyone with an opinion I don't agree with is melting down at all times.

Sorry for the meltdown.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

It sounds like you guys are the ones with the problem really. I think people should be free to choose to eat or to not eat whatever they like without having to worry about some mentally unstable person at the table melting down at them over it.

You can starve or glutton yourself out as far as I'm concerned. It's the bitching and whining about foods that are otherwise delicious that gets to me. I know of too many people that won't eat a thing because it was "gross" decades ago. Really? Have you tried it recently, in the last 5 years, in a different recipe perhaps? No? gently caress you.

I don't express this at a dinner table or bbq or whatever. I'm actually a pretty civil person. Maybe I raise an eyebrow or two at best. In my heart though, I know these people are claiming identity crap on stupid crap of "hating a food" and it is stupid as gently caress. That is why I sound so sanctimonious in my posts.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I need to try crickets and grasshoppers at some point. Have not done that, may hit a threshold.

Oh, on the other hand if millions have eaten them in delicious recipes, wtf is wrong with me if I can't enjoy them too?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Funky See Funky Do doesn't get that these people are the reason group catering stuff is invariably bland. Have a work meeting and the boss shows up with subway, or pizza has to be ordered from a mediocre chain instead of the local place that has olives other than "black" on the menu. That you end up at a applebees during a conference week because Sarah thinks that place would be too spicy.

It's night and day being with and around people that actually eat most foods vs adult children. MrsC is from a different culture and country and both her and her family have mentioned to me on several occasions they're glad I'm so adventurous with food and it probably would have been a dealbreaker if I wasn't.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't think you should be harbouring this kind of hate in your heart over something as trivial as what another person chooses to ingest. It doesn't seem very healthy to me. Different people like or don't like different things. That's ok.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

I don't think you should be harbouring this kind of hate in your heart over something as trivial as what another person chooses to ingest. It doesn't seem very healthy to me. Different people like or don't like different things. That's ok.

It is not hate. It is intolerance for stupidity. And for the most part, I keep it to myself. Except for this thread.

I'm also very zen and learn to let go of things that bug me. I can indulge in a gross ranting thing from time to time and enjoy the experience, and not be a whiny piss-baby though. It does not possess me, like some folk's disflavour of an otherwise wonderful food.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They explained perfectly well what the reasoning was, and it wasn't 'hate'. So, either you're trolling them, or you're a victim of this awful hatred yourself I'd wager.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A victim

of taste as it were

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Jeez, I'm sorry I posted in this thread at all. I thought it was a lighthearted discussion, not "my parents beat me with broccoli" answered with "you're a goddamn baby for not shoving Brussels sprout down your gullet"

What do I know?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Big Beef City posted:

They explained perfectly well what the reasoning was, and it wasn't 'hate'. So, either you're trolling them, or you're a victim of this awful hatred yourself I'd wager.

A person that caves in someone's skull with a wheel-jack because they got cut off in traffic may be able to perfectly elucidate the reason but that does not excuse the action.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
oven roast those sprouts with diced potatoes and onions and some olive oil.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

A person that caves in someone's skull with a wheel-jack because they got cut off in traffic may be able to perfectly elucidate the reason but that does not excuse the action.

I have yet to cave in any skulls over dietary consideration. Yet....

brotato
May 14, 2013
I'm jealous of people who can taste cilantro

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
i'm jealous of people who know what cilantro is.

e: apparently cilantro is coriander. really? all this loving time it was coriander.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
I’m cool with cilantro, but I hear there’s a gene in some people that makes it taste like soap to them. My condolences to those people.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Star Me Kitten posted:

I’m cool with cilantro, but I hear there’s a gene in some people that makes it taste like soap to them. My condolences to those people.

the buddy system was failure and i will never forgive you.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Coriander used to taste like soap to me but then every time I misbehaved as a child my mother would force me to eat a bushel and now it makes me curl up into a ball and sob inconsolably.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Strumpie posted:

the buddy system was failure and i will never forgive you.

My response to you is forthcoming. I just had a really busy day and I wanted to make sure I gave you a thoughtful reply.

I would hit you up with a PM but you don’t have plat dude!

On a separate note I don’t think the experiment is a failure; I just think the results of it—at least so far—give us some stuff to think about.

But anyway about cilantro tasting like soap....

Star Me Kitten fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 18, 2020

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I dislike cilantro and muh guhfriend is from South America, boy howdy is it like a sitcom in our kitchen!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Star Me Kitten posted:

But anyway about cilantro tasting like soap....

i can be unreasonably weird about more than one thing. :colbert: