Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

what better way to put aew heels over than having two pairs of heels in the final

Ivilese and Diamante are tweeners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I was gonna say, is Brandi heeling it up harder than usual this week or what?

Diamante and Ivelisse are definitely going in as faces, and I'm here for it

She suddenly became super full of herself in their interview after their first round match, leaving Allie confused like "I thought I was supposed to be the heel here."

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Brandi going into business for herself

which seems easy if you have a wrestling company already

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/annajay___/status/1295506232984379393?s=20

They were smart to get her under contract fast, she's a natural.

(edit): she deleted it for some reason:

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 18, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

why didn't they just put this on TV across a few weeks instead of bullshit squash matches, what the gently caress

Brandi has said it's primarily her project and having it on YouTube meant they could book it and give it time that they couldn't if it was working around the rest of the TV show. It doesn't look great with the lack of women on Wednesday but using YouTube for more experimental stuff is a good idea in a vacuum.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

has brandi changed her role and gimmick at the drop of a hat, stranding other performers for a second time? afaik allie appeared to be doing some kind of slow burn heel thing for quite a while now. now it doesn't make much sense and she could either end up being brandi's also heel lackey or even worse be forced into a nonsensical actual face role that formally deletes bbb altogether. perhaps i am reading too much into you tube

i don't know why i said this. i haven't paid attention to their angles much. i might not even remember what's going on right. i'm sorry

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 18, 2020

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Cavauro posted:

has brandi changed her role and gimmick at the drop of a hat, stranding other performers for a second time? afaik allie appeared to be doing some kind of slow burn heel thing for quite a while now. now it doesn't make much sense and she could either end up being brandi's also heel lackey or even worse be forced into a nonsensical actual face role that formally deletes bbb altogether. perhaps i am reading too much into you tube

brandi is playing a different person every week and even though i kinda like "obsessed with her action figure brandi" she and allie probably shouldn't have overwhelmingly dominated the match and brandi getting distracted by her action figure should have been more of an element. time and time again though i am willing to see where they go with it because there is a seed of good for it i just think the execution was botched. brandi says she has nothing to do with booking the division but the only time there's some weird bullshit happening out of nowhere brandi is the focus of it.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, Brandi chasing after the action figure seems like it should have cost them the match, then you build on something there, but nope!

it's kinda like watching watching a car fish tail and wondering when it's going to slam into something

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

brandi and the code man have already ruined aew and prevented gangnam page from becoming a household name

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oppa cowboy poo poo~!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

poo poo, watching the Sixers game and completely forgot about the women's tourney. Guess I have something to watch later.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/Egos1313/status/1295173474894385153

I hope we see Anthony again. He had some great matches on Dark.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

yeah, robert anthony is definitely on my list.

Dean whoever, Hobbes, and Serpentico are WAY higher on my list though.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

StarkRavingMad posted:

10th match is insane. Her dynamite debut would have been like.... 5th?

Also, Tay looked amazing on the shine, I liked Tayjay but I get why they went with the team with combined 26 years rather than 4.

Oh and I know it's a good scheme, but they need to coordinate colours beforehand, it's insane that 3 of the 4 teams wore red and black.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Tay could do nothing but elbows and hanging armbars, and she would still be awesome

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

There are also enough people around to teach her how to put together a match now that she’s out of the Bad Place.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Jonny Nox posted:

Dean whoever

Ambrose

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

There are also enough people around to teach her how to put together a match now that she’s out of the Bad Place.

I would 100% not be surprised if her sudden interest in Shibata matches is a Kenny recommendation.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Naw, I think he retired

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

Naw, I think he retired

Douglas, then.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Bring back Simon Dean.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Cavauro posted:

i don't know why i said this. i haven't paid attention to their angles much. i might not even remember what's going on right. i'm sorry

The Nightmare Sisters stuff hasn’t been bad but it’s been messy and I don’t like the decision to build the tag team tourney around Brandi and Allie instead of the intriguing newer talents they had in the semifinals. I initially read Brandi getting a big head as a sign that the Nightmare Sisters were destined to bow out early; I think it comes off a lot worse if you have the non-regular-wrestler with a fancy job title and an EVP husband going on and on about how she’s the only woman in the company with an action figure...and then she actually beats legit talents.

Also Swole/Savoy vs. Ivelisse/Diamanté is a much more exciting Dynamite match than one focused on the Brandi/Allie storyline that’s mostly played out on YouTube, imo.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Hmm, neither team I wanted to win won in the women's tourney. Oh well.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I'm not thrilled with the booking, hopefully Diamante and Ivelisse win and it injects some heat into the division and it's not just the nightmare sisters going over so they can yank the trophy from each other on dark every week

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Anna Jay throws an amazing looking punch, holy poo poo. I'm really happy she's signed and involved in stuff, she's got such potential. Tay Conti and Lil' Swole both seem like no-brainer pickups at this point, sign them, Diamante, Ivelisse (who has looked really good throughout the tournament) and KiLynn King and you've got a vastly improved women's division.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I feel like AEW has been spinning its wheels with most of its stories in the past month or so (the sole exception being FTR, but I really do not enjoy FTR at all), and Nightmare Sisters winning the tournament would just be another line item on that list. They've been building up Brandi and Allie on the verge of breaking up for a while now, and I thought tonight was when they'd pull the trigger. If it doesn't happen in the finals, I'm going to be extremely baffled.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Nightmare Sisters do nothing for me but I thought some of the action figure spots were cute. So yeah, Diamante and Ivelisse hopefully win.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I hope that this leads to an Allie-Brandi split and match in the finals because every team the Nightmare Sisters have faced, have had more experience in total. Otherwise, having Brandi acting this cocky and winning with no comeuppance reminds me of Stephanie.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

If I’m Coward Tony, this would be my priority list for unsigned folks I brought into the tournament:

1. Nicole Savoy - wrestles a style not otherwise represented on the roster, and has great charisma. Probably could work face or heel. Can go on Dynamite right now.

2. Tay Conti - More developmental, but her strike and judo toss style is also unique and fun. Probably can’t go on Dynamite right away, but has shown enough to be worth a flyer.

3. Rachael Ellering - Slot her into the spot Shanna was in. Probably could use some more ramp up time on Dark for now coming off her injury, but wouldn’t look out of place on Dynamite.

4. Diamanté and Ivelisse - I’m still on the fence on whether I have a strong preference for either, but honestly I think both would be fine to round out lower/mid heel slots in the division. I also like the idea of having more of the women grouped together instead of all singles without alliances.

Bonus: Put Veda on Dark with Excalibur and give her JR’s spot on Dynamite when he finally retires.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 18, 2020

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah it really feels like the seeds for putting the division back on track are here, so uh, I guess three people about to get injured or something

TV Zombie posted:

I hope that this leads to an Allie-Brandi split and match in the finals because every team the Nightmare Sisters have faced, have had more experience in total. Otherwise, having Brandi acting this cocky and winning with no comeuppance reminds me of Stephanie.
Yeah I mean Brandi would have to work for years to be as irritating and awful as Stephanie, but it feels really off and weird that they keep trying to make her unlikable. Why are her storylines constantly coming back to her being a poo poo when she's charismatic and great in front of the camera, ie completely the opposite of Stephanie?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Brandi is also a much more natural baby face.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I was really entertained by the action figure spots. That should be Cardona's gimmick.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah I mean Brandi would have to work for years to be as irritating and awful as Stephanie, but it feels really off and weird that they keep trying to make her unlikable. Why are her storylines constantly coming back to her being a poo poo when she's charismatic and great in front of the camera, ie completely the opposite of Stephanie?

The simplest explanation is "Brandi enjoys being a heel more"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Obviously someone needs to have a frank talk with the Rhodes family about their natural alignments

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

3. Rachael Ellering - Slot her into the spot Shanna was in. Probably could use some more ramp up time on Dark for now coming off her injury, but wouldn’t look out of place on Dynamite.

Good call, she's got definite potential too.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
With a little bit of development and help from whatever writing staff AEW has, the Nightmare Sisters could work as a full time thing, where they're a heel team composed of two completely different types of heels. The central tension of their team is that as wrestlers they work together very well, but outside of the ring they absolutely hate each other.

Of course, there's two big problems to solve if the Nightmare Sisters sticks around for the long-term. The first is that Allie and Brandi are pretty obviously two of the weakest workers in the women's division, and the second is that they're the only dedicated tag team in the women's division.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

StarkRavingMad posted:

TENTH match is insane. :stare: she's going to be loving AMAZING.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I''ve got to assume Brandi either prefers being a heel or feels like she should work heel to prove something because she's a natural face.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Taichi and Orange Cassidy have the same gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Lid posted:

Taichi and Orange Cassidy have the same gimmick.

Does that mean they should face each other or team up? :thunk: