Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I mean the two 'veteran' players were playing a hick elf with a scramble boy familiar and a literal boy scout paladin so while they had more firm choices in character building they still were pretty open to goofing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
Emily and Murph are both D20 vets, where each season's a new campaign and new setting, and it's never had problems trying to outdo itself. I suspect Murph's more than willing to ask Brennan for advice on how not to fall into that.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

SavTargaryen posted:

Emily and Murph are both D20 vets, where each season's a new campaign and new setting, and it's never had problems trying to outdo itself. I suspect Murph's more than willing to ask Brennan for advice on how not to fall into that.

To add onto this, I fully believe the first adventure zone was a fluke, they still don’t know the rules of dnd even and the McElroy brothers constantly fall into the same traps of boring podcast worthy dnd, when you take a look at it their inability to improve is insane given the resources and people they have access to

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
TAZ was at its best when it was four goofballs just loving around and making goofs. That’s why I really
love Naddpod so much, in that they made an engrossing story while still being absolute goobers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I mean the two 'veteran' players were playing a hick elf with a scramble boy familiar and a literal boy scout paladin so while they had more firm choices in character building they still were pretty open to goofing.

Going off the Short Rests, Emily has a bajillion ideas for characters and every single one of them is really distinct but also really loving stupid and Murph has to corral her in to making the characters she does play at least somewhat reasonable. Dunkle will probably let her play Binky Fiasco some day though, or a skeleton lucha libre fighter, or any of the dozen or more character ideas she's floated at various times. I'm hoping that Jake will play a more magic focused character in the second campaign, just because it's an archetype he's routinely expressed some trepidation about playing during the Short Rests, because there's so much to keep track of in terms of spell lists and options in a fight so it feels like it might help recreate some of that feeling of him growing in to a character.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Honestly NADDPOD kinda killed TAZ for me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Honestly NADDPOD kinda killed TAZ for me.

I only ever listened to one episode of The Adventure Zone, and stopped because one of the cast put on a really annoying accent. I can't even remember what it was, or anything, but I didn't find the episode great in general, or the cast all that endearing, so being annoyed by that one thing was enough to put me off on it's own. On the other hand, while I don't care about The Adventure Zone, one I don't see mentioned as often but which I was listening to before I started NADDPod and which eclipsed it in my view is "Dragon Friends". Which, I don't even dislike it now, but I just never feel the urge to go to it because NADDPod is funnier in my opinion. I think it helps that NADDPod is more regular too, while Dragon Friends usually only has a handful of episodes, then takes a break for a few weeks or months. I'm pretty sure I have two seasons of it to catch up on at this point, and I will do some day, but I can't summon the same enthusiasm for it anymore after starting NADDPod, even though I don't by any stretch think it's bad.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
I recommend Critical Bits for anyone looking for something with a similar vibe as NADDPod. It's Masks, not D&D, but it's got a NADDPod-like balance of comedy, plot and funny people making jokes.

Explicitly less horny though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Apparently they have a print shop for fan art now, with the proceeds going to the artist. I'm tempted by a few of them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

seaborgium posted:

Apparently they have a print shop for fan art now, with the proceeds going to the artist. I'm tempted by a few of them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the beginning of this new episode is so good

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zac is so good

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I already love this new series

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/FearsomeCritter/status/1294654356256468992?s=20

So Critical Hit's The Void Saga is coming to an end next week. It's a 10 year old 4e D&D campaign that's been run from level 1 to level 30 culminating in a final fight against Asmodeus. Curious if anyone else here has ever listened to it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

EndOfTheWorld posted:

https://twitter.com/FearsomeCritter/status/1294654356256468992?s=20

So Critical Hit's The Void Saga is coming to an end next week. It's a 10 year old 4e D&D campaign that's been run from level 1 to level 30 culminating in a final fight against Asmodeus. Curious if anyone else here has ever listened to it.

tired: being like 300 hours behind on critical role
wired: being one decade behind on critical hit

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

There is something about aggressively emotional bros that is just so funny

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The Hangover: The RPG seems like a good NADDPOD format.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Mavris and the boys is wonderful. It’s such a simple concept but the execution is so good. And Emily is great at making these dope rear end ideas, like a harp made from a jawbone of a fish.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I feel like the subtitle for this mini arc should be called Jersey Swords or Tales from the Jersey Shore

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

There is something about aggressively emotional bros that is just so funny

Honestly, that's the worst part for me. All the "hey dude, can we sidebar", "can you sidebar with X" stuff etc. is kind of tiresome and feels way more rehearsed or like it's trying to fit an idea they had on what their character or the story should be before hand and I got way more of a kick out of things like everyone watching the Matrix Trilogy (including Mavris deciding to press play as a background action when he thought Carl was fine for a short while), all the stuff with Jake's character angsting over reaction to his music, Emily having fun with the setting like High Elves in disguise, the Pact Drake, the Hippofins etc. It's a really fun story so far, but the characters seem like they have the potential to be aggressively annoying if left to their own devices and Emily doesn't prod them along a critical path a little.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I loved every second of whatever the bonfreres did, so to each their own. The short rest is pretty interesting too with how much they just skipped or ignored. Emily did a good job keeping it sort of on the rails without detracting from the goofs.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The sidebar stuff felt more improvised to me; like one of them said it first, and the others were like yep, this is a thing these boys do, and they call it sidebaring because they have horrible influences. I thought it was all great, and Emily, surprising absolutely nobody, is a great DM

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ainsley McTree posted:

The sidebar stuff felt more improvised to me; like one of them said it first, and the others were like yep, this is a thing these boys do, and they call it sidebaring because they have horrible influences. I thought it was all great, and Emily, surprising absolutely nobody, is a great DM

The sidebar stuff was something they indicated they wanted to do during the Mixed Bag where they were introducing the setting, plot and their characters. I can't remember who talked about it first, and I think it may have been Murph. That said, I do think the Bon Freres stuff in particular was great, from Mavris' initial flailing response that brings it up, later indication that it was something he had preplanned and everyone committing to the name; it's just the sidebar stuff, and constant "are you okay dude", "man I don't think X is okay" stuff that grates on me and not the Bon Freres part, or incidental things like Hungry Dave giving Jake's character (whose name escapes me) a frisbree to hurl in etc.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Finally got to listen to it, I’m extremely down with the bon freres and their lack of wanting to pay for anything

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

finally caught up and finished ep 100

moonshine eats god is a fitting ending to an already vore-heavy campaign

now to get to Trinyvale

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Me too, just last night. Emily Axford's whole podcasting career going back to 8BBC has been broadcasting her fetishes to the world, it couldn't have ended any other way.

I'm surprised she didn't immediate lay a huge clutch of magical glowing eggs and bring back the dragons that way

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been really loving this new arc so far, fun group dynamics and so far been a good blend of stuff.

I will say though without a massive backlog to listen to I've gone back to 8BBC to relisten and I forgot how completely gold it was, so basically my brain has just been being baked by these nerds either laughing at insane things like 'leech father-queen' or just natural insane interactions like Emily earnestly asking 'what if the mario brothers were obsessed with bagels and not pizza' and everyone figuring out she was thinking they were TMNT.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
So is this Emily's first time DMing, ever? Because if so (and even if not) she's doing a really good job of both letting the players enjoy their characters but also having NPCs and mechanics in place to keep things moving. I think she has a very different style for DMing than she does being a PC, but I also imagine a lot of that is due to the pressure and stress of having it on display for a wider audience. I may not get the beer/hipster jokes, but I'm still having fun.

sexpig by night posted:

I've been really loving this new arc so far, fun group dynamics and so far been a good blend of stuff.

I will say though without a massive backlog to listen to I've gone back to 8BBC to relisten and I forgot how completely gold it was, so basically my brain has just been being baked by these nerds either laughing at insane things like 'leech father-queen' or just natural insane interactions like Emily earnestly asking 'what if the mario brothers were obsessed with bagels and not pizza' and everyone figuring out she was thinking they were TMNT.

Holy poo poo I wish they'd do more 8BBC and bring Jake on board. I really wish there was a recording of them doing the last Metal City Mayhem on stream. If there is one, I couldn't find it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve also started discovering 8bbc and yeah it rules. I enjoy Emily and Caldwell being agents of chaos in all the cyoa episodes, and trying to turn them into d&d

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

zac should join permanently

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

eke out posted:

I lost it when he intimidated Mac into giving him the duster The whole duster thing reminded me of the duster bit in Always Sunny between Mac and Dennis

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HoboTech posted:

So is this Emily's first time DMing, ever?

She did a one off session a few months ago, though it may have been for a Mixed Bag or something and not general release. It was more of a horror themed thing, though I don't recall much more about it. I don't know if she's done more in between, but I don't think she's done anything else for public consumption at least, whether she's done more for home games or whatever is another thing entirely. I'm enjoying this one far more either way, since I think the comic nature of it suits her personality as a performer more, and she picks some fun stuff to fill out the setting and adds some choice personal flair to the things she does pick. The one thing I'm not huge on in it really is her voices, since she doesn't seem to have as much range as Murph or Caldwell. That's a minor complaint though, really, and of course not everyone is going to be able to do a myriad of voices.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

I love him so much

I haven't listened to Comedy Bang Bang in a while but I've seen his name showing up in the titles of a few episodes lately, so I love that for him

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Emily is a treasure and her DMing is hilarious.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I love him so much

I haven't listened to Comedy Bang Bang in a while but I've seen his name showing up in the titles of a few episodes lately, so I love that for him

i was looking up what characters he did (because i could only remember the incredibly stupid Keantwo Reeves ("If Keanu Reeves was worse")) and found this even dumber one lol

quote:

Kenny Takahashi is a character played by Zac Oyama. He is a bouncer at the Nasty Rat bar in San Diego. His body is in the shape of a cube with the dimensions 6'5" by 6'5" by 6'5" when he puffs his chest out. If pushed, his body will squish in 3 to 4 feet. Despite his large and intimidating size, he is actually quite innocent and delicate. His job at the bar is to stand in front of the door of the same dimensions. He gets paid in food and only eats tube shaped foods. He is currently attending UC San Diego getting his degree in Watercoloring. He has a crush on fellow Nasty Rat employee Melody, but has trouble talking to her. He identifies as an incel, but "not, like, a mean way or anything" (Ep. 544).

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 29, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

i was looking up what characters he did (because i could only remember the incredibly stupid Keantwo Reeves ("If Keanu Reeves was worse")) and found this even dumber one lol

i am reaching the end of a 60 hour workweek and "Keantwo Reeves" is hitting me in a way I can't quite describe

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I don't get it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bip Roberts posted:

I don't get it.

Mavrus is basically Keanu Reeves.