Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KS posted:

Reviews are pending, but the 2020 6 series (635) just came out and adds a 120 hz panel and VRR. The 65" is in that range and the 75" is only $1200 if you want to go bigger.

Hisense H8G is a good option as well.

Yeah I'd wait for the review but the 2020 6 series is gonna still be the reco for those stats and mini led. The Hisense 8 and above series is great too, but unless there is something that is a deal breaker we haven't seen yet in the 2020 TCL 6 series, Hisense is gonna play catch up for about 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BonoMan posted:

unless there is something that is a deal breaker we haven't seen yet in the 2020 TCL 6 series
My big question about the new 6's mini-leds is performance. RTINGS had the previous mini-LED model performing worse than the QPX somehow.

If that's been fixed then it'll likely be the midcard go-to for a while.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

KS posted:

Reviews are pending, but the 2020 6 series (635) just came out and adds a 120 hz panel and VRR. The 65" is in that range and the 75" is only $1200 if you want to go bigger.

Hisense H8G is a good option as well.

I thought the 2019 6 series already had a 120hz panel?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Actually why do TVs list 2 different refresh rates? Like, lower end models are 60hz but they are listed 60/120hz. Then the 6 series I bought was listed as 120/240.

Like, afaik the lower number is the actual refresh rate so what does the second number mean?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The second number is some kind of bullshit to indicate a motion smoothing mode of some kind.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

65" BX $2,097 shipped and BuyDig throws in a $100 Visa gift card to your cart at checkout.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I didn't even realize the BX was out already. Should I expect similar tradeoffs from C9>B9 for the BX? Because that's cheap enough for me to want to pull the trigger...

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I swear I remember 65" C9 were around this price last August. ($2k). Is the BX even that good a deal then. Wish I grabbed a C9 around Black Friday when they were $1600 for 65.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there any way to turn off the setting where the LG OLED slowly gets dimmer and dimmer if the TV hasn't detected a scene change? It's happening to me a lot watching Doom Patrol, where a scene will start in the dimly-lit mansion, then slowly get dimmer until by the end of the scene it's super-dim, then pop up to normal brightness like a second into the next scene.

Or, if there's no way to turn it off, can I at least alter the threshold at which it starts to dim the display?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Service menu is the only way I know of. It involves setting TPC Enable to "Off" on my C6. I'm not sure if its the same in the newer models or not. Do a search for disabling ASBL (Automatic Static Brightness Limiting) for your model.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

couldcareless posted:

I didn't even realize the BX was out already. Should I expect similar tradeoffs from C9>B9 for the BX? Because that's cheap enough for me to want to pull the trigger...

BX seems to be a bit worse than the B9. At least, based on the review below, the BX is dimmer and has pretty aggressive ABL, and the gradient performance is worse than the B9 (which was worse than the C9). The only areas where BX seems to have a clear advantage over the B9 is that it has better BFI, and better color accuracy.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/bx-oled

Unrelated Edit: maybe it's just me, but it seems like good deals on TVs are harder to find this year--dunno if it's due to tighter supply or what. When will we have mainstream 55" LG OLED prices < $1000?

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 18, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Service menu is the only way I know of. It involves setting TPC Enable to "Off" on my C6. I'm not sure if its the same in the newer models or not. Do a search for disabling ASBL (Automatic Static Brightness Limiting) for your model.

Yeah, i knew it could be disabled in the service menu, but no one on the internet seems to know for sure how potentially dangerous this is for the tv. Guess I’ll live with it for now.

Just out of curiosity, do the Sony OLEDs do this too, or is this just an LG thing?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hey all, not sure this is quite the right thread for this...

My girlfriend is hard of hearing in one ear and has difficulty picking out dialogue a lot of times. Not all programs have subtitles so it can often be a bit frustrating watching TV for us.

We have a pair of headphones which really help, but obviously that's not an ideal solution. Does anyone think a soundbar would help out?

And if so, can anyone recommend a good mid-price (around £300) one that is available in the UK?

I'm not able to have a full sound system, so just the bar would be great if people agree it might help make the dialogue less muddy.

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
Been lurking this thread for a little bit now. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on a LG CX 65" from Best Buy and get the Geek Squad coverage.

I have a question about view distance. Some casual Googling is telling me for 65" that a 5.4' - 8.1' is optimal for that. When I checked out what rtings is saying it's suggesting 9'.

What am I missing out on if I'm more in the 6 foot range from my TV and is it worthwhile rearranging my whole living room to get the 9'?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

My girlfriend is hard of hearing in one ear and has difficulty picking out dialogue a lot of times. Not all programs have subtitles so it can often be a bit frustrating watching TV for us.

We have a pair of headphones which really help, but obviously that's not an ideal solution. Does anyone think a soundbar would help out?

And if so, can anyone recommend a good mid-price (around £300) one that is available in the UK?

I'm not able to have a full sound system, so just the bar would be great if people agree it might help make the dialogue less muddy.

Any soundbar with a dedicated middle channel will make dialogue much easier to hear. I recently had a 2.0 tower speaker setup that was great for music but rubbish for movies and tv because all the effects were loud but i had to watch with subs because dialogue was so low. So I’ve moved that set up into another room and just plonked a sonos beam down in front of the tv and watching movies and tv now is like night and day. The beam is 400 quid on amazon but as long as you get one with that dedicated middle speaker you should be good as far as improved dialogue clarity. Some sound bars are just stereo, which won’t solve anything for you.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Sturm posted:

view distance

People sit too far from their TV generally, why would you be missing out on anything by being further away? As long as you can see the whole screen then the closer the better, or else you can't see all the detail you've just forked out thousands to display.

That said, we have 55" at about 6' and it's good. I could see moving to a 65" but no bigger at that range.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

PriorMarcus posted:

I've banged this drum a few times but the Samsung HW MS-650 is an incredible sound bar for the money, but it's a few years old now and has been supplanted by newer (and not necessarily better) models. If you can find it new I'd recommend that - it was a £600 soundbar on release back in 2017 but I paid £300 new for it at the end of 2018.

It has a bunch of different audio settings for sports, movies, music, dialogue etc but the smart setting works out what's best for the content and automatically uses that. Compared to standard TV audio it's night and day.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

PriorMarcus posted:

Yes I have a similar issue with very muddied hearing in one ear particularly at the frequencies of human speech (I really need to get to an audiologist). Have a receiver with speakers in one room, and a decent sound bar in the other, the sound bar isn't quite as good but is a huge step above TV speakers and makes an enormous difference to my being able to hear speech. I don't know what brands are available in the UK, ours is a Vizio which is a brand that I think is US only, but make sure as others have said it has an actual center speaker inside it, and that it allows you to boost that. I find boosting the center can make all the difference, some will also have dedicated modes to normalize the volume, tweak bass/treble like an equalizer, change the bias left/right which all could help.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Thanks for the feedback folks. I'm looking at the Sonos Beam which seems to meet the requirements people have recommended and can scale up into a full surround system (were saving up for a house at the moment so this is an appealing option once we're in a place we own).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there any way to turn off the setting where the LG OLED slowly gets dimmer and dimmer if the TV hasn't detected a scene change? It's happening to me a lot watching Doom Patrol, where a scene will start in the dimly-lit mansion, then slowly get dimmer until by the end of the scene it's super-dim, then pop up to normal brightness like a second into the next scene.

Or, if there's no way to turn it off, can I at least alter the threshold at which it starts to dim the display?

Look for the logo detector thing in the picture settings and turn that off, that might do it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

beep by grandpa posted:

Look for the logo detector thing in the picture settings and turn that off, that might do it

No, that only targets logos in part of the screen. The overall dimming is ASBL and can only be disabled through the service menu.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I must say that your sound system is a much more important and overall better investment than your display. Good speakers wont be rendered obsolete, your receiver will have to be replaced every so many years (depending) but good speakers are for life. Start yourself off with a 3.0 setup and go from there. Soundbars should only be considered in the most miniscule of settings

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

codo27 posted:

I must say that your sound system is a much more important and overall better investment than your display. Good speakers wont be rendered obsolete, your receiver will have to be replaced every so many years (depending) but good speakers are for life. Start yourself off with a 3.0 setup and go from there. Soundbars should only be considered in the most miniscule of settings

Isn’t there an issue with Sonos and being made obsolete?
There was that whole issue with firmware a few years ago.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Question IRL posted:

Isn’t there an issue with Sonos and being made obsolete?
There was that whole issue with firmware a few years ago.

That was January (to March-ish) of this year. :ironicat:

And yeah, my own Samsung HW-MS650 has been absolutely great. The current equivalent would be the Q60/70. If you want Atmos, then the Q80/90.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hello,

I'm looking for a tv to use with my ps4 (and ps5 when it comes out). 49 or 50 inch, this is what I had previously and I sit 7-7.5 feet away so it seemed to be a good size. I don't give a poo poo about actual tv, and I virtually never would be watching a movie on it. So just something with low input lag for gaming is all I need, and a budget model if possible. I may also want to use screen monitoring from time to time to watch some movies playing on my computer on the tv, but that part isn't a big deal for me if it doesn't work well. Also I don't care about any of the "smart" tv poo poo, in fact I will keep all that stuff off but I would imagine it's unavoidable now.

I was looking at this one:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/tu7000

thoughts? this is 347 at newegg currently

one of the cons they list under video games is low peak brightness, but I can't handle brightness well anyway due to an eye condition so that's not a problem for me.

also the higher up model is on sale for $50 more at newegg, which has a slightly better rating for video games

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/tu8000

thanks!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 18, 2020

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I got my Hisense H9G four days ago. While I mainly got it for its picture quality considering its price, another one of its perks was that it seemed to be one of the few TVs on the market that didn't have ads baked into its interface.

While I was switching apps this afternoon the UI suddenly bogged down. Go to the homescreen to investigate, and now there's ads.

https://twitter.com/9to5Google/status/1295711331941847041

Luckily the workaround in the above article works, for now.

I miss my dumb TV. :rip:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Huh, no ads on mine yet:

But I get it, they couldn't sell these things as dirt cheap as they do without selling real estate on them and I think that is largely what consumers have asked for.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Don't let your TV ever connect to the internet and use an AppleTV for all your streaming and app purposes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AppleTV has been known to promote their TV content as well. There's no escaping ads for promoted content on pretty much any platform.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

bull3964 posted:

AppleTV has been known to promote their TV content as well. There's no escaping ads for promoted content on pretty much any platform.

Apple promotes sure but they honestly don't seem to be hovering up and selling your data which definitely can't be said for other platforms.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

just don't connect your tv to the internet

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

American McGay posted:

Don't let your TV ever connect to the internet and use an AppleTV for all your streaming and app purposes.

This. The only device I trust not to sell my data or give me 3rd party ads (there's some stuff in it for their own services, mind). I know the Shield is taunted as the high end Android client, but I can't say I trust that to remain ad free forever.

I dig my cheap rear end Firestick 4K for the bedroom, but I have no pretense that that is riddled with ad poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apple absolutely will disclose information to 3rd parties. It's not "personalized" and it's kept within their ecosystem, but it's not a "no tracking" system.

quote:

Sharing with Third Parties

We are obligated to provide some non-personal information to strategic partners that work with Apple to provide our products and services, help Apple market to customers, and sell ads on Apple’s behalf to display in the App Store and Apple News and Stocks. For example, we may share non-personal information about your transactions and viewing activity to Apple TV strategic partners, such as content owners, so that they can measure the performance of their creative work, meet royalty and accounting requirements, and improve their associated products and services.

Also, all bets are off when it comes to any 3rd party apps that you may connect through the service.

So, if all you are doing with your apple tv is watching AppleTV+ original content or iTunes within the Apple ecosystem, then fine, your privacy is intact and only apple knows what you are doing (though they will share that "non-personal" data to 3rd parties for advertising purposes throughout the ecosystem.) The minute you start logging into 3rd party apps, those 3rd party apps can do what they want with the viewing data they collect within their app. Also, if you connect the app through the Apple TV app, then Apple can also see what it is you are watching on Netflix or Prime and use that data.

Apple also makes it a point to never say what they are using THAT viewing data for, only that you can delete it whenever you want by disconnecting the app and choosing to delete.

So yeah, Apple TV isn't going to share that you watch Central Park with Hulu to recommend Bob's Burgers, but Apple may use that you watch Central Park to recommend Bob's Burgers to you in iTunes and they might tell the creators of Central Park that purchasers of Bob's Burgers are 74% more likely to subscribe to AppleTV+ to watch Central Park. Also, who knows what apple does with the information that you watch Bojack Horseman on the AppleTV connected Netflix app. Actually, yes we probably do know what they are doing with that data. They are using that data to drive what shows they purchase from production companies to keep the likes of Netflix or Prime from buying them. Then, once they have them ready on AppleTV+ they already know you like that type of show and will therefor promote it to you.

So, you gain a marginal amount of personal privacy at the expense of putting Apple at a massive competitive advantage in acquiring content.

There's no anonymity in viewing media unless you are going to the store and paying cash for discs that you then play in a disconnected player.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 18, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

No ads on my H9G yet, but then I ruthlessly turn off every android feature I can, and removed every app I don't use from the home screen.

Also, I don't think it can update if you don't actually turn it off/put it to sleep. :pcgaming:

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
LG CX has been ordered. Any recommendations on a 4K HDMI cable?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
If you're going to gaming get a high speed 48 HDMI cable which will support 4K@120HZ. Once new consoles and RTX cards drop we are supposed to see HDMI 2.1 being used.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I connected my LG B9 to the internet to update it because I figured that might be a good idea. Then I disconnected it from the internet and went back to using my Apple TV for everything. The one thing I wish I could do was use the LG's gyroscopic poo poo to control my AppleTV because the gyro in that bad boy works really, really well.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I found out that my Soundbar supports only up to 2.0 HDMI cables.

Since I run my PS4 through my Soundbar to my TV will that not effect my TV displaying at higher refresh rates when I eventually get a PS5?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

HDMI 2.0 supports 1080p@120 and 4K60 with 4:4:4 and HDR.

Considering that the big titles (Horizon: Forbidden West, etc.) are still only going to be 30fps, you're likely not going to miss out on 4k120 unless you care about esports titles or very specific IPs.
For consoles, the key quality of life feature that would be nice from hdmi 2.1 is VRR/Freesync; you could unlock the framerate and let it run above 60 but under 120, and VRR would prevent screen tearing for a smooth(er) experience.
Devs wouldn't have to spend as much time rigidly optimizing graphics settings for each sku's throughput, and/or they could have a universal Performance Mode that was still above 60 for the (eventual) XSeS, but closer to 120 for the PS5/XSeX, all with the same spec.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah you needn't worry about high refresh rates with consoles, that's like me inquiring about highway speed limits for my Honda