Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Midgetskydiver posted:

Lack of access to healthcare kills 40,000+ people every year in the US. You're cheering the guy who will protect you but leave tens of thousands of people to die.

It's, profoundly hosed up.

Who is cheering?

We're all resigned to voting for the least bad option here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Pretty sure the actual election is going to be much more widely affected by things like mail availability and more traditional forms of rigging than a bunch of people posting on a dead forum.

It's too bad the only way to engage with politics is by voting.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

whos that broooown posted:

Who is cheering?

you can vote for Howie Hawkins, the best option with the best policy

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

I don't trust a guy who's consistently been trying to cut medicare/medicaid for years to expand it. Cmon now.

Not trusting the democrats is a different argument, and one I totally agree with, cause running to the left and governing to the right seems to be their only move.

But they've put out a thing that says "this is what we want to do" it's not bad at all. If that's what they want to do, and they say it is, then some actual honestly good things could happen.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

hi buddy do you remember when you said Obama didn't do anything about voting rights and I asked you this question

feel like answering it or nah

for some reason I feel like it's apropos, in the context of "surely Obama's vice president wouldn't do a bad thing"

defunding acorn was very stupid. what i meant was that expanding voting rights wasn't on the table, and after the blowout win that the democrats had, you can see why that was. it should have been, but voter suppression as a major issue really came to the fore after the 2010 gerrymanders and shelby county v. holder. at no point have i ever said that obama's vice president wouldn't do a bad thing.

Matt Zerella posted:

It absolutely is not.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/14/joe-biden-2020-filibuster-360587

this isn't a commitment by any means but it's a lot more aggressive than anything we heard in 2009

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Who is cheering?

The poster I'm responding to, which is not you.

And we are definitely not "all" resigned to do anything.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I'm voting for Joe Biden because he sits in a chair like a normal guy, not like he is on a toilet

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

goethe.cx posted:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/14/joe-biden-2020-filibuster-360587

this isn't a commitment by any means but it's a lot more aggressive than anything we heard in 2009

Dude they're bringing back Pay-Go rules, there's no way they're gonna do that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Matt Zerella posted:

This will not pass Congress. It means absolutely nothing.

Nothing means nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWrlAmT4jyA

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czn0nxFNy0Q

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dude they're bringing back Pay-Go rules, there's no way they're gonna do that.

they've been doing that since the midterms

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

goethe.cx posted:

they've been doing that since the midterms

Yes that's my point. They're not interested as a party in ruling, it's why when they get the reins they immediately put on all the limiters to power that the republicans take off to do their political work. They aren't going get rid of the filibuster for the same reason.

EDIT: Like yes you're technically correct I should have said "Brought back" instead of "Bringing back". That doesn't address my point at all.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I thought Biden was very uninterested in anything approaching UHC/M4A.
Biden is generally for UHC in a sense, but UHC isn't in itself great. It just means everyone is covered or can potentially be covered.

Biden's definitively not for Singlepayer which is the most ideal reform for healthcare.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

I’m sure he would. Do you think he stands a meaningful chance of winning the election?

He's electable if you vote for him!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Reality Protester posted:

Yeah, I'm in Pennsylvania. I'm not happy about the current situation, either. A vote for Howie Hawkins is a vote for Trump here whether you care to admit it or not.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Yeah, I'm in Pennsylvania. I'm not happy about the current situation, either. A vote for Howie Hawkins is a vote for Trump here whether you care to admit it or not.

So if 40% of the state votes for Biden and 50% of the state votes for Hawkins, Trump gets the EVs?

That's a really hosed up way to assign them, you should vote for state reps that would fix it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's also a vote for biden with that logic though?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Doctor Teeth posted:

He's electable if you vote for him!

come on, man. so is bernie sanders if you write him in. the green party has never held any kind of major office. a critical mass of voters will never be persuaded between now and november to vote third party.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
We're doing this here too, huh. There's a reason this endless argument has its own thread.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

No.

Voting for a 3rd party is a vote for _______ doesn't make sense at all. It's a completely internally inconsistent position.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

goethe.cx posted:

come on, man. so is bernie sanders if you write him in. the green party has never held any kind of major office. a critical mass of voters will never be persuaded between now and november to vote third party.

You ever going to reply to my actual point about the filibuster re: The DNC's decisions to constantly choose to restrain themselves with procedure their opponents largely ignore?

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I don't think anyone planning to vote for Hawkins, including myself, is delusional enough to think the Greens will win. But if it feels like I'm throwing my vote away regardless, I'd rather give it to someone who actually wants like one or two of the same things I do.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Reality Protester posted:

Does Hawkins want to destroy privatized education and all of those who have benefited from it?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Eminai posted:

So if 40% of the state votes for Biden and 50% of the state votes for Hawkins, Trump gets the EVs?

That's a really hosed up way to assign them, you should vote for state reps that would fix it.

I have, rear end in a top hat. I've also donated multiple times to brand new congress and justice dems.

Keep it up with the crab bucket mentality though. I'm sure it will serve you well.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Midgetskydiver posted:

No.

Voting for a 3rd party is a vote for _______ doesn't make sense at all. It's a completely internally inconsistent position.

It isn't in any way lol

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nonsense posted:

He appears to be within 5 points of his Democratic primary opponent, so it's possible for him, but hard to say.

isn't this destruction of evidence?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

karthun posted:

Does Hawkins want to destroy privatized education and all of those who have benefited from it?

You want PSL / LaRiva for that. Not diet Bernie who can't file paperwork on time .

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

It's also a vote for biden with that logic though?

I guess in a "but have you considered you're also make of carbon?" kind of way.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

You ever going to reply to my actual point about the filibuster re: The DNC's decisions to constantly choose to restrain themselves with procedure their opponents largely ignore?

Paygo is stupid. What other decisions has the DNC made that restrain themselves with procedure that republicans ignore? I ask this honestly, what other examples are there?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Midgetskydiver posted:

No.

Expain then

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

I'm voting for Joe Biden because he sits in a chair like a normal guy, not like he is on a toilet

HI LIZZY!

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

It isn't in any way lol

Not that any of this matters because whatever election will be (probably rightfully) considered fraudulent, but would you say people who aren't voting are also voting for Ramp? If so, that would mean 2/3 of Americans want him in then right?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

https://www.nsfwcorp.com/dispatch/gary-johnson-swindle/

Reminder that the Libertarian Party is designed to suck up votes from potential Democrat voters to benefit the Republicans, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Green Party was the same. *insert Stein/Putin photo here*

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

lol at throwing your vote away for the anti-vax loving green party.

gently caress your poo poo so called ethics

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Matt Zerella posted:

You want PSL / LaRiva for that. Not diet Bernie who can't file paperwork on time .

LaRiva went to a privatized college and should be disqualified from any public position. Death to all of those who demand the privatization of fundamental governmental services.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

SoggyBobcat posted:

https://www.nsfwcorp.com/dispatch/gary-johnson-swindle/

Reminder that the Libertarian Party is designed to suck up votes from potential Democrat voters to benefit the Republicans, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Green Party was the same. *insert Stein/Putin photo here*

If the Democrats felt like throwing the left literally anything at all, legal weed, less money for cops/war, like anything, they could have Green votes easy. If it's a grift to sway leftists it's one that'd be really, really easy to counter.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Mods should never tell anyone that they are going to bed and no longer potentially monitoring the thread

not with this hopeless collection of bad posters (myself included)

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

lol at throwing your vote away for the anti-vax loving green party.

gently caress your poo poo so called ethics

A couple people's vote don't matter that much. Especially given the current averages. Chill.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Rockit posted:

A couple people's vote don't matter that much. Especially given the current averages. Chill.

Hard pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Sooo...

Who's going to get blamed this time if Biden fails to convince anyone to vote for him?