Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

“How I Met Your Mother killed the traditional sitcom!” says person not remembering The Big Bang Theory was one of the biggest TV shows of the past decade and only ended last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Vandar posted:

Patrick Rothfuss is never going to finish the Kingkiller Chronicles. Probably for the best.

The first book was pretty good, if flawed, but man that second book is so bad. The whole "The (virgin) MC is so good at sex that the goddess of sex is impressed" thing is literally teenage deviantart erotica level bad writing. Its hard to believe its not a parody of itself.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Cameo posted:

“How I Met Your Mother killed the traditional sitcom!” says person not remembering The Big Bang Theory was one of the biggest TV shows of the past decade and only ended last year

Also as far as I'm aware the spinoff prequel series Young Sheldon is still on and I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's a very traditional sitcom.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also as far as I'm aware the spinoff prequel series Young Sheldon is still on and I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's a very traditional sitcom.

Oh yeah, thats a goid point,i forgot about that.never mind then.

I hope someone is talking with joe abercrombie about adapting his stuff.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Cameo posted:

And that Chuck Lorre has multiple traditional sitcoms going at any given time.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1295432771675000832

No, please don't.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We’re hosed

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I’m maybe interested in that if one of them pulls a DeNiro in Raging Bull and balloons to John Candy size for the role

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Neither one of them could pull off the John Candy role. I can't think of any actor who could do that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Cameo posted:

I’m maybe interested in that if one of them pulls a DeNiro in Raging Bull and balloons to John Candy size for the role

Every generation of the last hundred years has an iconic fat comedian except ours

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Every generation of the last hundred years has an iconic fat comedian except ours

Hey now, we had uhhhhhh... Will Sasso!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kevin James?

Not that he’s THAT good, but he’s the first one I think of.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Neither one of them could pull off the John Candy role. I can't think of any actor who could do that.

Patton Oswalt, perhaps?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zach galifianakis

Oh wait....

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MH Knights posted:

Did Troy get some extended Director's Cut that was better than the theatrical release? I know the extended version of Kingdom of Heaven was considered to be superior to the theatrical.

I haven't seen it but from what i've heard the directors cut of KoH is meant to be one of the best films of the 21st century and should be in the same conversation as things like The New World, There Will Be Blood and other epics. I haven't seen it partially because of that level of praise and the original was so poor it makes me side eye it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's okay

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Zach galifianakis

Oh wait....

Him and Jonah Hill were supposed to be our Fat Comedians, but they lost the weight! Our generation is underserved and the next generation will be even more so.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lid posted:

I haven't seen it but from what i've heard the directors cut of KoH is meant to be one of the best films of the 21st century and should be in the same conversation as things like The New World, There Will Be Blood and other epics. I haven't seen it partially because of that level of praise and the original was so poor it makes me side eye it.

If it's still got the dumbass 21st-century-humanism big speech at the end, I can't see how it could be.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I remember thinking that there were a bunch of sequences that seemed weirdly incongruous with the rest of the film, like you could still tell where the cuts were made, or like there were scenes that were still missing and just never got added back in.

It also flip-flopped a lot between pseudo-swords and sandals action about a guy getting into sick fights on his journey to the holy land, political drama and LotR-esque giant fantasy battle sequences and never seemed to make up its mind about which of the three it wanted to focus on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Feels at times like Hollywood's got the same problem as the video game industry; they've discarded so many once-huge genres over the years that they have no idea how to make them anymore.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Was going to say how Hollywood doesn't yet realize how Wil Smith comedies are usually poison nowadays, but I see they are making Bright 2.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Bright is just Hellboy 2 but much much much worse acted, directed, written, world built...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I just remembered they tried to reboot Hellboy of all things too jesus christ

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Hellboy wasn't even that good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fartbox posted:

Wrong.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Fartbox posted:

It was unique as gently caress with awesome costumes and creature effects that made it look like this bizarre lived in world, and was an absolute treat to watch. (I'm talking about the first movie, not the remake).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fartbox posted:

Im with you. It was an absolute nothing of a movie. Exactly as memorable as that Conan reboot nobody watched

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Barudak posted:

Im with you. It was an absolute nothing of a movie. Exactly as memorable as that Conan reboot nobody watched

I distinctly remember the act of watching the Conan reboot but I couldn't tell you a goddamn thing about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

8one6 posted:

I distinctly remember the act of watching the Conan reboot but I couldn't tell you a goddamn thing about it.

I know Ron Perlman was in it and there is a scene where a boy fails a manhood challenge and has to spit out a broken egg. I think there was a kraken or something in it too. Like a knock off Old One.

Be absolutely damned to tell you anything else.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Amazon is making a Lord of the Rings show although it is in a weird position where it is Middle Earth but not the time period of the books, instead it is set much earlier.

Judging how terrible people are with making prequels, every minute there will be a forced reference to the good trilogy just like in those awful Hobbit movies regardless of how they fit the time period, style, tone or plot

Just watch them have explicit copies of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli because hey remember that one time high fantasy on big screen was decent???

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
conan had steven lang which was weird cuz he's basically the same guy as his avatar character but with more hair and ill be damned if I can tell you what else the two movies have in common

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Why does it always have to be prequels? Can't we move on instead. Lets follow some hobbit or ranger through the aftermath of LOTR. There are still orcs and monsters and trolls and wizards and politics and evil nations around to build conflict around

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

happyhippy posted:

Was going to say how Hollywood doesn't yet realize how Wil Smith comedies are usually poison nowadays, but I see they are making Bright 2.

Will Smith seems to be a textbook case of the modern Hollywood thing where they're so afraid of failure they overmanage a project until it's impossible to succeed.

Fartbox posted:

Why does it always have to be prequels? Can't we move on instead. Lets follow some hobbit or ranger through the aftermath of LOTR. There are still orcs and monsters and trolls and wizards and politics and evil nations around to build conflict around

Kind of the whole theme of LotR though is basically an End of an Age; all the magic, both good and evil, is slowly leaving the world, and it's the last gasp of the last of the the Satanic supervillains before mortals get their poo poo together and stop trying to use his most powerful weapon against him. It's supposed to be an ancient myth drawing from European ideas of forgotten prehistory. I think possibly explicitly a European take on stories like Journey to the West.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Its Louis CK. He's just iconic now for the wrong reasons.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bright 2 is happening because Bright was one of Netflix's biggest hit.

Fartbox posted:

More specifically no one wants to write a sequel to one of the most important works of literature of all time so they are adapting the stuff that was already written in the supplementary material to the main trilogy and The Hobbit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

a LOTR sequel where Easterlings move to...Middle Earth (is everything Middle Earth or just that region of the planet?) and the free peoples of Gondor and Rohan have t o contend with the greatest enemy of all: their racism

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Young Sheldon is actually kind of a blatant Wonder Years ripoff. Slightly more comedic in tone, I suppose, but it's got the narration and everything and is shot like a network drama show. Yeah I don't really get it either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

8one6 posted:

:same: I can say the same about Solomon Kane.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels at times like Hollywood's got the same problem as the video game industry; they've discarded so many once-huge genres over the years that they have no idea how to make them anymore.

The problem with both industries is that the big companies have become risk adverse. In decades past, they were definitely more willing to put big money into something new and untested. It's why everything is either an infinite sequel, or a remake of a movie that made a lot of money 10+ years ago.

The good stuff is still out there, but also like the video game industry, it's in smaller and more independent studios, which can't afford to put Avengers amounts of money into things.

I am not sure exactly why Will Smith still has the Hollywood capital he had back in the 90's though, because he's, been in nothing but bombs for a while.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I am not sure exactly why Will Smith still has the Hollywood capital he had back in the 90's though, because he's, been in nothing but bombs for a while.
they don't have anyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/uninterrupted/status/1295529003747442688?s=20