Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Allie has always seemed fine in the ring, she's no Shida but she's reliably competent. Brandi drives me nuts because she's so inconsistent, one week she'll look really shaky but land a picture perfect spear and the next week she'll actually be really fluid in the ring but will hit a spear that looks like total garbage. Tonight she looked pretty good in the ring, last time she was tentative and and looked kind of lost. She seems like she'll average out to adequate but it's so goddamn swingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

tay's hot tag kicked rear end and i am now convinced they need to sign her

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Brandi is also a much more natural baby face.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I''ve got to assume Brandi either prefers being a heel or feels like she should work heel to prove something because she's a natural face.

you both know that "natural babyface" isn't just code for Is Pretty, right?

like just watch her cooking show for 15 seconds and you can tell she's a heel at heart

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is Shanna still around? I thought with Angelico scheduled to wrestle in tomorrow’s Dark, I thought she would be able to travel.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Goat posted:

like just watch her cooking show for 15 seconds and you can tell she's a heel at heart

Yeah, Chaotic Brandi obsessed with owning her haters is definitely a heel. She also wrestles like one regardless of her character alignment. That would all be fine if her motivations didn't change from week to week.

TV Zombie posted:

Is Shanna still around? I thought with Angelico scheduled to wrestle in tomorrow’s Dark, I thought she would be able to travel.

She lives in France, so it's gonna be a real pain in the rear end to get her over here. Plus she may have medical stuff to consider.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Theyre turning Brandi because they're turning Cody soon and both need to be heels to be Triple H and Steph.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LaFashionista_/status/1295454880107307009?s=20

NO. NO. NO. Anna Jay has as many matches as you have had years and is already better than you.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lone Goat posted:

I’ve watched multiple episodes of A Shot of Brandi and I am not picking up heel energy at all. All her heel work in AEW has felt like she was trying too hard to get her deal across, meanwhile that promo she cut on Spears prior to All Out last year was probably the peak of the build to that match.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I get that on her cooking show but none of that seems to show up when she's wrestling and her heel personas keep feeling very forced.

Thinking it out more it feels like she's a pretty bad improvisational actress, for an example we can go back to her awful commentary spots with the Nightmare Collective, but pretty good with a script. But when she's doing the scripted stuff she's usually in the role of Cody's wife or AEW Executive Brandi and is doing babyface stuff. But when she wrestles and does improvisational acting she's usually a heel. So it's less that she's a natural babyface and more that when she's a babyface she's in spots that play to her strengths but when she's working heel she tends not to be which drags down her heel work.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Cooking show Brandi is the dream late night roommate and that's no heel.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Cooking show Brandi is the dream late night roommate and that's no heel.

Uh I had that roommate in university and unless you have access to a full cleaning staff for your kitchen the next day, that ain't no dream

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Thinking it out more it feels like she's a pretty bad improvisational actress, for an example we can go back to her awful commentary spots with the Nightmare Collective, but pretty good with a script. But when she's doing the scripted stuff she's usually in the role of Cody's wife or AEW Executive Brandi and is doing babyface stuff. But when she wrestles and does improvisational acting she's usually a heel. So it's less that she's a natural babyface and more that when she's a babyface she's in spots that play to her strengths but when she's working heel she tends not to be which drags down her heel work.

so what you're saying is that she's bad at being a professional wrestler

i'm glad we can finally come to an agreement

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lone Goat posted:

so what you're saying is that she's bad at being a professional wrestler

i'm glad we can finally come to an agreement

Yeah this is what I keep coming back to, is that as a viewer I haven't been given a compelling reason why she's getting storyline content and so many other women aren't.

It doesn't really rankle when it's mostly self-contained stuff on Dark, but when it's central to a tourney with other wrestlers or it creeps into Dynamite I can't help but think "Was there not a better story to tell here?" Same thing goes for the Natural Nightmares; QT getting a long story arc in a super crowded tag division feels like an iffy allocation of resources even though I don't dislike his matches

(To be fair, with Brandi and the tournament I could see it being a situation where they went in with plans to lean on the signed talent they had available & weren't really certain how Savoy/Conti/Ellering would fare as newcomers)

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 18, 2020

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Brandi...................is good

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i want an angle where Abadon is haunting PAC's bridge tunnel

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Abadon would be PAC's only friend

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Now I’m thinking about how cool it was when PAC got Nyla to attack Riho to get at Kenny...

Feel like pure poo poo just want him back

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Now I’m thinking about how cool it was when PAC got Nyla to attack Riho to get at Kenny...

Feel like pure poo poo just want him back

this was a cool bit of storyline threading i really liked and im sad we havent seen too much of it continued

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Tournathoughts

Toney and Veda on the mic. Veda is great on the mic. Shaul Guererro is great as a ring announcer.

1) Swole Family vs Nightmare Sisters. Go Swole Family. They have super infectious energy. The Nightmare Sisters are doing some interesting antagonistic / semi heel stuff. A full heel corporate Brandi could be fun. Start wrestling sequence was a bit awkward, got less so when Allie tagged in. Lil Swole does a great job at being face in peril. Very good hot tag stuff from Swole, apart from one weird kick spot that didn't work. Britt Baker rolling up was fun, but I still wanted the Swole Family to win. I also kind of wanted Big Swole to check on Lil Swole.

2) Anna Jay and Tay Conti vs Ivelisse and Diamante. Tay's video package features Christ The Redeemer, towering high over Rio. Rio Di Janeiro. And speaking of messiahs, here's Mr Brodie. Tay Conti has some really excellent strikes. The in-ring is a lot smoother here than in the last match. Ivelisse and Diamante have some superb double team manoeuvres. If Anna Jay is actually just 11 months into her career, she is an insanely fast learner. There's an energy to this match I like, lots of hard effective offense. Everyone looked pretty good.

So we have Nightmare Sisters vs Ivelisse and Diamante on Dynamite this Saturday. And I hope Ivelisse and Diamante wipe the floor with their opponents.

This was a fun show.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Show was okay, the first match was a bit of a mess with all the Brandi action figure stuff not having any consequences but Swole hears Britt somewhere far away in a dark barely lit place and completely forgets about the match before its too late. Second match was definitely the better one, and TayJay really showed a lot of potential.

Though I will say I was a bit distracted in that match when Tony called something a "Back Leg Front Kick" and I suddenly had flashbacks to Eric Bischoff's commentary at Souled Out.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Germansimp posted:

Show was okay, the first match was a bit of a mess with all the Brandi action figure stuff not having any consequences but Swole hears Britt somewhere far away in a dark barely lit place and completely forgets about the match before its too late. Second match was definitely the better one, and TayJay really showed a lot of potential.

Though I will say I was a bit distracted in that match when Tony called something a "Back Leg Front Kick" and I suddenly had flashbacks to Eric Bischoff's commentary at Souled Out.

he did this during dark too, i feel like it HAS to be intentional

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm here for Tay Conti slowly morphing into Minoru Suzuki

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Taymohiro Contii

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

I'm here for Tay Conti slowly morphing into Minoru Suzuki

One of the real pleasant surprises of the second match - apart from how quickly Anna Jay is becoming a really good worker - was the incongruity between Tay Conti being a tall pretty blonde in a sparkly outfit and Tay Conti being an absolute strike machine who took a weak kick off Ivelisse, looked pissed off about it, and then tried to put an elbow through her head.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cutler speaking up in the latest BTE to tell Avalon,"We walked over here together!" was incredible. I love The Initiative :allears:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Cutler speaking up in the latest BTE to tell Avalon,"We walked over here together!" was incredible. I love The Initiative :allears:
I love how they just had to cut that segment where they did because all 3 of them were losing it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That reminds me of Alex Silver(?) corpsing a couple weeks ago and Mr. Brodie screaming at him to stop crying. Beautiful cover :)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i'd say conti's rapid improvement over what appears to be a couple of weeks compared to her four years in the performance center is a MASSIVE indictment against that system

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

That reminds me of Alex Silver(?) corpsing a couple weeks ago and Mr. Brodie screaming at him to stop crying. Beautiful cover :)

(long) john silver

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Lid posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LaFashionista_/status/1295454880107307009?s=20

NO. NO. NO. Anna Jay has as many matches as you have had years and is already better than you.

God help me, this made me laugh several times. Maybe Rache just needs to be put in a manager role.

jesus WEP posted:

I love how they just had to cut that segment where they did because all 3 of them were losing it

I've been a bit cool on BTE recently, but the purestrain stupid in the ending of that sketch ruled.

Speaking of, I kind of unironically enjoyed Brandon's 50+ for 50+ segment. I might secretly be a boomer :ohdear:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

inthesto posted:

Speaking of, I kind of unironically enjoyed Brandon's 50+ for 50+ segment. I might secretly be a boomer :ohdear:

I still haven’t gotten over the masking tape trick to hang pictures.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Mons Hubris posted:

I still haven’t gotten over the masking tape trick to hang pictures.

It's not the best idea as you can end up pulling off paint with the tape.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
After losing power and internet for nearly two weeks, I FINALLY caught up with all the AEW content. I'm pretty bummed that Big and Lil' Swole were eliminated. I appreciate how the Nightmare Sisters only won through duplicity and how this sets up more heat between Big Swole and Dr. Britt, but I'm irritated that the clearly more talented wrestlers lost.

Ivelisse and Diamante vs Anna Jay and Tay Conti was really solid and I look forward to seeing more from both ladies in the future. Lets be honest though: there's not a world that exists where the Nightmare Sisters out-wrestle Ivelisse and Diamante. Should be an interesting match this Saturday.

E: Ok "irritated" is a strong word. I'm still totally in for the ride, but I would have loved to see a more technical, hard hitting match between the Swoles and Ivelisse and Diamante.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Kaveman posted:

Use painter's tape like Matt did.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Kaveman posted:

Even if you do that, you'll be hanging a frame over it. THE PERFECT COVER.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

JOHN CENA posted:

i'd say conti's rapid improvement over what appears to be a couple of weeks compared to her four years in the performance center is a MASSIVE indictment against that system

We still don't know if she can do a competent forward roll though!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

inthesto posted:

I'm not sure I really got that segment. When I think 50+, the absolute last thing I think is "assembling my own gamer PC from components". It would make way more sense to have them walk into a Best Buy and browse through the prebuilts.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Nipponophile posted:

I'm not sure I really got that segment. When I think 50+, the absolute last thing I think is "assembling my own gamer PC from components". It would make way more sense to have them walk into a Best Buy and browse through the prebuilts.

Pull your computer up by its bootstraps!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The 50+ segments have been really informative and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
It was a real solid computer building segment; he even used the nerdy anti-static wrist strap!