Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

No Quad City DJs. Zero stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elfgames posted:

they don't have anyone else

Yeah, Will Smith is one of the last Movie Stars, whose name and presence automatically carries cachet and a box office bump.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The green screen is working at least,

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

No Quad City DJs. Zero stars.

Yeah how do you gently caress up that badly.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Who is that?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
This is not canon

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fartbox posted:

Who is that?

They did the theme song to the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eo_FX4HGPM

whydirt posted:

This is not canon

This, however, is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWKQiZVBtu4

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Lid posted:

I haven't seen it but from what i've heard the directors cut of KoH is meant to be one of the best films of the 21st century and should be in the same conversation as things like The New World, There Will Be Blood and other epics. I haven't seen it partially because of that level of praise and the original was so poor it makes me side eye it.

It's definitely better and shifts the tone of the film from a plodding tentpole to something that breathes a bit more and gives some depth to the characters. But it's not a radical transformation. I'd say that it moves the film from being mediocre to good, but not great.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Iron Crowned posted:

I am not sure exactly why Will Smith still has the Hollywood capital he had back in the 90's though, because he's, been in nothing but bombs for a while.

Aladdin made a billion dollars and Smith was put in the tough position of being compared to an iconic, beloved actor's probable most iconic role.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alan Smithee posted:

conan had steven lang which was weird cuz he's basically the same guy as his avatar character but with more hair and ill be damned if I can tell you what else the two movies have in common

Yeah Steven Lang goes whole hog on the scenery chewing but it's no good, the movie is a boring ugly slog. I mean, Lang fights Conan with two dual-bladed swords and it's only mildly entertaining. There is so much about the movie that is theoretically awesome, like the kraken or sand demons or Conan's childhood being 75% more metal than in the first Schwarzenegger movie. But it all looks more like the second Schwarzenegger movie, very cheap in places and the editing is terrible. Shame about the great casting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Finally a documentary about Russell Crowe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lid posted:

I haven't seen it but from what i've heard the directors cut of KoH is meant to be one of the best films of the 21st century and should be in the same conversation as things like The New World, There Will Be Blood and other epics. I haven't seen it partially because of that level of praise and the original was so poor it makes me side eye it.

I don't know if it's one of the best films of the century, but it's extremely good and like 100x better than the theatrical version.

A lot of stuff that feels idiotic or out of nowhere in the theatrical version also makes a lot more sense when the characters are actually developed enough/given enough background that you can follow why who is doing what too. Like in the theatrical Orlando Bloom just like, out of nowhere personally invents anti-siege weaponry towards the end in like a week. In the director's cut it's more clear that he was literally a wartime engineer and working on Jerusalem's infrastructure longterm in general is like why he was being recruited in the first place, which he attempts to do some good with earlier with setting up better water circulation and stuff. Like it just feels much more coherent and focused.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 18, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rageaholic posted:

quote:

Academy Award winner Russell Crowe stars in Unhinged, a timely psychological thriller that explores the fragile balance of a society pushed to the edge, taking something we’ve all experienced- road rage - to an unpredictable and terrifying conclusion.
lol

Russell Crowe stops his abuse and pledges to recognize his toxic masculinity and makes amends with his victims, promising to become a better person

if that's literally the ending I'm going to howl with laughter

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the failure of the Barkley 2 kickstarter isn't quite doobie level saga but it's up there with Zybourne Clock, just with fewer memes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Imo, brad pitt and especially eric bana do great work on troy.
The costume design is great.
Also sean bean, who plays completelly against type and does not die.
i think people were expecting it to be the next big thing and its kinda underwhelming when compared to LoTR.
I still like it.

GOT went downhill by the double whammy of both the executive producers not giving a poo poo AND the author also not giving a poo poo because the original material was also becoming poo poo.
A poo poo confluence that basicaly sunk almost everyones careers.

Troy was in a weird netherworld of not being fantastical enough, and not being real enough.

The best parts was the wrestling scrimmages.

Also it should have ended like the Illiad. gently caress that revisionist appendage poo poo tacked on about Paris killing Achilles. Historical fan fic

e:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4CCmPXgeSo

loving dreck!

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 18, 2020

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Neither one of them could pull off the John Candy role. I can't think of any actor who could do that.

Kevin Hart: Hey man what are you doing? I sell shower rings man! Isn't that crazy!!!!

Iron Crowned posted:

I am not sure exactly why Will Smith still has the Hollywood capital he had back in the 90's though, because he's, been in nothing but bombs for a while.

Bad Boys 3 made 419 million dollars. Somehow.

e: lol its the highest grossing movie of 2020

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 18, 2020

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Fartbox posted:

Why does it always have to be prequels? Can't we move on instead. Lets follow some hobbit or ranger through the aftermath of LOTR. There are still orcs and monsters and trolls and wizards and politics and evil nations around to build conflict around

I'm not a fan of prequels, but I also don't think it's a great idea to make sequels to things which already had a conclusive ending. Has there ever been a good movie or book like that? For example, the Star Wars sequels (in addition to other flaws), suffered partly because it's not very satisfying to follow up "they lived happily ever after" with "actually, a bunch of other bad stuff happened and the original characters didn't solve much of anything". Stuff like Mad Max works because the earlier movies had more of a western-style self-contained story without any big conclusive ending, and the new movie basically just continues that tradition.

I'd rather they just make new properties entirely. If they feel like adapting stuff, there's tons of other books they could adapt.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 18, 2020

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The MSJ posted:

More specifically no one wants to write a sequel to one of the most important works of literature of all time so they are adapting the stuff that was already written in the supplementary material to the main trilogy and The Hobbit.

Especially as Tolkien himself tried and wrote like two chapters before realising it was poo poo and tossing it in the bin.

I have some hope that Amazon's show will be good though. The Second Age setting means that they can pick and choose which of the main events they might want to include, or just make up their own stories altogether. For reference the Second Age is thousands of years before the events of the Hobbit & LoTR (late Third Age).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I honestly thought it was a LOTR remake. So is it more accurately a Simarillion show in which case...how did they get the rights from Tolkien jr

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Troy was in a weird netherworld of not being fantastical enough, and not being real enough.

I'll never understand the drive to adapt mythology but cut out all the..well, mythology.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Alan Smithee posted:

I honestly thought it was a LOTR remake. So is it more accurately a Simarillion show in which case...how did they get the rights from Tolkien jr
I would assume Amazon drove a dump truck full of money to his house and unloaded it on to his lawn and he went swimming in it à la Scrooge McDuck.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Hahaha no. They don't have the rights to the Silmarillion. Or the Unfinished Tales. So it's just pulling something out of their asses whole-cloth from the LOTR appendices.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Byzantine posted:

I'll never understand the drive to adapt mythology but cut out all the..well, mythology.

It can be interesting if the supernatural/fantastical stuff is explained in an interesting way and not just excised. A Dream of Eagles was a great series that made everything about the Arthurian legend "real", like it was historical fiction.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

quote:

At the start of March 2019, Amazon revealed that the series would be set in the Second Age of Middle-earth, thousands of years before the story of The Lord of the Rings. Shippey explained that the series was not allowed to contradict anything that Tolkien had written about the Second Age and would have to follow the broad strokes of his narrative, with the Tolkien Estate prepared to veto any such changes, but Amazon was free to add characters or details to fill in the gaps between Tolkien's works.

The series is also only allowed to adapt and reference content from the Lord of the Rings books and their extensive appendices rather than any of Tolkien's other books that explore the Second Age such as The Silmarillion. The Tolkien Estate retained the rights to the events of the First Age while Middle-earth Enterprises held the rights to the events of the Third Age (as seen in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings films), so the series was also not allowed to explore those. Shippey felt this left the series with "a lot of scope for interpretation and free invention"

Hmm yes. Love to pay $250m for the rights to make up my own characters set in a time period that fans of the original books probably don't care about at all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But how could it go wrong with such heavy-hitting talent behind the scenes with showrunners like, uh... a couple of uncredited writers for Star Trek Beyond and literally nothing else? But don't worry, they're being consulted by one of the guys who wrote some Game of Thrones episodes that some people liked!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MrBling posted:

Hmm yes. Love to pay $250m for the rights to make up my own characters set in a time period that fans of the original books probably don't care about at all.

Don't underestimate the value of the brand. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was based on a fake guidebook, it's set decades before the Harry Potter books and the only character from the original books that shows up is Dumbledore (and only appears in a cameo). And yet it made bank.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fartbox posted:

Why does it always have to be prequels? Can't we move on instead. Lets follow some hobbit or ranger through the aftermath of LOTR. There are still orcs and monsters and trolls and wizards and politics and evil nations around to build conflict around

How could you even write a sequel to LotR? Sauron was specifically the last major force of evil in the world, every magical creature is leaving Middle-Earth or hiding so deep that they vanish from sight, Smaug was the last dragon and he was killed in the Hobbit, Shelob is slowly dying of a mortal wound, Gandalf is the only wizard left and he's on a boat to eternity and the orcs are described as losing all willpower and is just wandering aimlessly around. There just isn't that much to make a story of.

Iron Crowned posted:

Suicide Squad, Aladdin and Bad Boys For Life was not bombs.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 18, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alhazred posted:

How could you even write a sequel to LotR? Sauron was specifically the last major force of evil in the world, every magical creature is leaving Middle-Earth or hiding so deep that they vanish from sight, Smaug was the last dragon and he was killed in the Hobbit, Shelob is slowly dying of a mortal wound, Gandalf is the only wizard left and he's on a boat to eternity and the orcs are described as losing all willpower and is just wandering aimlessly around. There just isn't that much to make a story of.

There was another ring, a proto-ring that he only put some of his evil into.
He possesses his armor, which possesses whoever wears it.
The Eye of Sauron? Don't eyes usually come in pairs? There's a second Eye of Sauron.
He cloned himself and has a secret granddaughter running around somewhere.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Seeing as Tolkien saw LOTR as a mythic origin story for Britain, you just keep churning out sequels until it matches up with history. Just make it a series of films about how man wipes all the other species out or sends them into hiding because we're a bunch of bastards. When they run out of hobbits and dwarves and ents to kill, that's when they start looking to other lands and it becomes a series about the East India Company.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It should also be mentioned that Christopher Tolkien absolutely loathed the rampant commercialization that followed in the wake of the Jackson films and was very stringent when it came to handling the rights to all the other stuff. That might change now that he’s passed away but for now at least it sounds like they’re holding on tight to the silmarillion.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

A tv series about lotr should probably be like The Mandalorian (for star wars).

Just way smaller in scale, following a handful of characters through the world and getting into minor adventures

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Fartbox posted:

A tv series about lotr should probably be like The Mandalorian (for star wars).

Just way smaller in scale, following a handful of characters through the world and getting into minor adventures

So you’re saying they should make a show about Tom Bombadil

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fartbox posted:

I mean, I've been waiting for anyone to do the low-stakes, straightforward band of adventurers concept as a TV series. The Witcher is about the closest we've gotten to a decent try.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Seeing as Tolkien saw LOTR as a mythic origin story for Britain, you just keep churning out sequels until it matches up with history. Just make it a series of films about how man wipes all the other species out or sends them into hiding because we're a bunch of bastards. When they run out of hobbits and dwarves and ents to kill, that's when they start looking to other lands and it becomes a series about the East India Company.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be good or interesting, but a film that's basically fantasy holocaust would be a very hard sell.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:thejoke:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Davros1 posted:

There was another ring, a proto-ring that he only put some of his evil into.
He possesses his armor, which possesses whoever wears it.
The Eye of Sauron? Don't eyes usually come in pairs? There's a second Eye of Sauron.
He cloned himself and has a secret granddaughter running around somewhere.

An evil dude tries to breed new dragons.
An evil dude tries to resurrect Sauron, the Witchking etc.
An evil dude tries to teach orcs how to be evil again.
An evil dude trying to become a wizard.

Or an evil female dude.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Alhazred posted:

Don't underestimate the value of the brand. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was based on a fake guidebook, it's set decades before the Harry Potter books and the only character from the original books that shows up is Dumbledore (and only appears in a cameo). And yet it made bank.

I mean, it made bank but it also seems to be a franchise thats dead in the water.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I mean, it made bank but it also seems to be a franchise thats dead in the water.

That's more to do with that it has become impossible to sell anything related to J.K.Rowling.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

feedmyleg posted:

Seeing as Tolkien saw LOTR as a mythic origin story for Britain, you just keep churning out sequels until it matches up with history.

It'd just keep creeping more and more into Arthurian legend while doing that as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Alhazred posted:

That's more to do with that it has become impossible to sell anything related to J.K.Rowling.

I seriously doubt Rowling’s antics are going to effectively impact the sales of the HP franchise, as unjust as that is. It’s probably more likely future films will be affected by how much of a disaster The Crimes of Grindelwald was.