Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Are we talking John Saxon Hellmaster? I was planning to watch that because I heard it was notably bad.

Yes we are and yes it is. Most notably the acting from everyone but John Saxon is just wretched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BisonDollah posted:

Watched Scream, Queen! My Nightmare on Elm Street on Shudder and I felt like it did a pretty good job of encompassing the journey that movie has went through over 25 years. It was the film that terrified me as a kid and then became the "bad movie" to dunk on once I was old enough to own the DVD boxset (although the flaming budgie was the highlight for me). I never had a great affinity for it but delighted the queer studies lens has given it a fresh lease on life. What Mark Patton went through as a gay actor was heart-breaking.

IMDb did a gallery of scream queens a few weeks back. Mark Patton was about third in and the only guy.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What would've happened if at the beginning of Scream Casey argued with Ghostface when he says that Mrs. Vorhees was the killer in Friday the 13th? What if she was like "Yeah but what about the final scare? Little boy Jason grabs her out of the boat! Technically Mrs. Vorhees is just one of two killers. Also that one guy kills a snake, and to be honest when is Kevin Bacon not 'killing it'?" Do you think he would have respected her game and chilled out?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
MST3K worked better for me when I was a kid and I thought all the movies were trash and was cool with half-watching the movies and enjoying the jokes and host segments. But now I have a really tough time watching it because I've gained a real appreciation for the type of movie they tend to rag on and I want them to shut up and let me watch the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There was an account who recently got suspended from YT who was uploading remastered versions of the MST3K movies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Got the September Vinegar Syndrome box today, I'll probably watch Pandemonium tonight when my roommate heads off to bed

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 17, 2020

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Jedit posted:

IMDb did a gallery of scream queens a few weeks back. Mark Patton was about third in and the only guy.

There was a cool few minutes in In Search of Darkness (also available on Shudder) where the term scream queen and final girl came up and I think it was Caroline Williams who said "Scream queen? Final girl? Uh, where I'm from it's called being the drat lead actor!" (or something along those lines). Although I have written academic essays using the term liberally I think that's a real point, probably says more about the perceptions on the horror genre than the genre itself. It is pretty cool to see the terms being owned by the actors who have been labelled with it though, Mark Patton especially.

Oh, the Jesse t-shirt he sells on tour is sweet.

Although I'd kill for a shirt with crosses on it like he wears in the actual movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That fuckin t-shirt model is everywhere

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

it's a default picture redbubble uses, and they basically map your shirt design onto the guy's shirt

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

If anyone would be interested in a pretty good (imo) and in depth (but hopelessly nonlinear) discussion of Cronenberg’s Videodrome and it’s sequel, eXistenZ then we at Homo Vulgaris got you

https://soundcloud.com/hvulgaris/7877-videodrome-and-existenz

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

Got the September Vinegar Syndrome box today, I'll probably watch Pandemonium tonight when my roommate heads off to bed

OMFG I thought I dreamt that movie. I have vague memories of seeing parts of it as a kid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbME1773n2s I feel like this is one of those late 70's/early 80's flicks that probably just had a giant bowl of cocaine on the craft services table.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

feedmyleg posted:

MST3K worked better for me when I was a kid and I thought all the movies were trash and was cool with half-watching the movies and enjoying the jokes and host segments. But now I have a really tough time watching it because I've gained a real appreciation for the type of movie they tend to rag on and I want them to shut up and let me watch the movie.

Well there's good or interesting bad movies that Rifftrax does (Ghosthouse, Tourist Trap, Uninvited, Rock n' Roll Nightmare) and then there's boring bad movies (anything by James Nguyen, Rollergator). I literally can't watch the boring bad movies if they're not being riffed, but I could enjoy the good ones on their own.

I do agree though that you really need to watch the good bad movies before you watch the riffs, because there's amazing and weird poo poo in them and it'll be spoiled if you watch the riff first. I'm glad I saw Tourist Trap without the riffs first because that movie's amazing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Does the Shudder app on iOS ever just... hang for anyone else here? It’s been sitting and spinning its wheels saying “loading, please wait” and I’ve tried every trick I can think of; restarting the app, restarting the phone, logging out of the app and logging back in, reinstalling the app, nothing works.

I’m on an iPhone 8, running the latest version of the app and iOS.

:confused:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Does the Shudder app on iOS ever just... hang for anyone else here? It’s been sitting and spinning its wheels saying “loading, please wait” and I’ve tried every trick I can think of; restarting the app, restarting the phone, logging out of the app and logging back in, reinstalling the app, nothing works.

I’m on an iPhone 8, running the latest version of the app and iOS.

:confused:

The Android app does that too. Sometimes it'll even just play a completely different movie than the thing I clicked on.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Android app does that too. Sometimes it'll even just play a completely different movie than the thing I clicked on.

I’m just trying to get it to load the drat main menu so I can pick a movie. :suicide:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Any chance you have the AppleTV app installed? I got an iPad recently and I noticed when I started using it it started integrating all my other streaming services into the AppleTV Browser and now I just search for something on the app, select what I want and it points me to what I’m looking for and loads up the service and straight to the movie/show. It’s not the prettiest from a UX standpoint but it works and it makes everything easy.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Help I just watched Eden Lake and I need to balance it out with something or I won't able to go to bed

What's a movie where a bunch of rear end in a top hat kids get their poo poo hosed up?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

My Twitter Account posted:

Help I just watched Eden Lake and I need to balance it out with something or I won't able to go to bed

What's a movie where a bunch of rear end in a top hat kids get their poo poo hosed up?

Night of the Demons.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

88 or 09?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

poo poo I forgot there was a remake. '88 for sure. It's super fun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
God, 88 was such a loving good year for horror.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

God, 88 was such a loving good year for horror.

Ain't it tho? I mean Phantasm 2 is right there.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

flashy_mcflash posted:

I liked this a lot. Kind of has a Prevenge vibe to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFtrC1-MY8I

hehehe

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I always found Eden Lake to be a well made, effective film with at least one genuinely horrifying moment but hard to recommend due to its really lovely politics. It's so imbued with an ugly classism (poor people are psychopathic monsters) and iirc gets special call out in Owen Jones book Chavs: The Demonisation of the Working Class which among other things examines the UK's establishments deliberate multi-decade long campaign to justify their politics of cruelty with rote character assainations of the poorest in society.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Intersect trailer, opening shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSiQJl-gKyE

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

He must be a millionaire!

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Karloff posted:

I always found Eden Lake to be a well made, effective film with at least one genuinely horrifying moment but hard to recommend due to its really lovely politics. It's so imbued with an ugly classism (poor people are psychopathic monsters) and iirc gets special call out in Owen Jones book Chavs: The Demonisation of the Working Class which among other things examines the UK's establishments deliberate multi-decade long campaign to justify their politics of cruelty with rote character assainations of the poorest in society.
I mean, it's a long-running horror trope. If this analysis is valid then it's also true of something like The Hills Have Eyes.

Also, the analysis is absolutely backwards: Eden Lake is a movie about an insular community that has always taken care of itself fighting back against bourgeois interlopers. Like, there's a whole setup at the beginning where they talk about how the beautiful lakeside forest was about to be torn down to build a gated community. They're all upset that the new community would ruin their secret little vacation spot without it ever occurring to them that they're doing the same thing to someone's home.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 18, 2020

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Stryder posted:

OMFG I thought I dreamt that movie. I have vague memories of seeing parts of it as a kid. I feel like this is one of those late 70's/early 80's flicks that probably just had a giant bowl of cocaine on the craft services table.

I lost count how many times my uncle and me saw this one. It's perfect for a marathon with Student Bodies and Bloodbath at the House of Death (another Vincent Price entry).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Pandemonium seems like the time-traveling sequel to Detention (2011).

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I mean, it's a long-running horror trope. If this analysis is valid then it's also true of something like The Hills Have Eyes.

Also, the analysis is absolutely backwards: Eden Lake is a movie about an insular community that has always taken care of itself fighting back against bourgeois interlopers. Like, there's a whole setup at the beginning where they talk about how the beautiful lakeside forest was about to be torn down to build a gated community. They're all upset that the new community would ruin their secret little vacation spot without it ever occurring to them that they're doing the same thing to someone's home.

I've got to disagree. It is a horror trope, yes, but in the American equivalents (Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Wrong Turn) the villains are specific weird families as opposed to the entire community which Eden Lake presents. The villains in those American entries are pushed to a level of extremes that are not based on classist memes - they are cannibals or wear people's faces a la Ed Gein - I don't think that's something that the working class in America are regularly accused of though I can understand there are still problematic aspects. By contrast, Eden Lake depicts its villains acting in a way that is indicative of classist memes, they have a loud angry dog, they're boisterous, wear hoodies, use foul language and hit their children - these are all tropes that your average Daily Mail reader regularly accuses the Working Class of.

Your analysis that it's about an isolated community fighting back against bourgeois interlopers still presents the working class community as inherently violent, sadistic and monstrous,which is a problem for me. It's a well made film on a formal level, genuinely gripping, suspenseful and horrifying when needs be, but I can't ignore the deep undercurrent of middle class fear pandering at its centre.

EDIT: Also, this isn't a knock on you for enjoying the film, I love tons of stuff that others would consider to have lovely politics. It's just my personal feelings in this case.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 18, 2020

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

The bourgeois interlopers are framed as the protagonists not the antagonists. They live aspirational middle-class lives in London, are attractive and are victimized throughout. The working class are seen as bullying, violent misanthropes throughout with the spicy twist at the end that the older generations are as bad as the youth knife gangs. You have a take here, but to consider the original analysis "absolutely backwards" doesn't really make sense. Looking at this film through a working class lens is tough work and not worth it, especially when a film as fun and great as ATTACK THE BLOCK came out a few years later.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

The bourgeois interlopers are framed as the protagonists not the antagonists. They live aspirational middle-class lives in London, are attractive and are victimized throughout. The working class are seen as bullying, violent misanthropes throughout with the spicy twist at the end that the older generations are as bad as the youth knife gangs. You have a take here, but to consider the original analysis "absolutely backwards" doesn't really make sense. Looking at this film through a working class lens is tough work and not worth it, especially when a film as fun and great as ATTACK THE BLOCK came out a few years later.

I have to revisit Attack the Block, I found it impossible to sympathise with the kids after the mugging and home invasion scenes.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

BisonDollah posted:

It's important that the characters whose lives will be impacted the most by the coming changes, the children, are the ones who finally have enough and decide to fight back. Jenny and Steve are only framed as the protagonists because they're never given the introspection to have an "are we the baddies?" moment. Both of the kids Jenny kills, Cooper and Paige, had already ditched Brett and would probably have been able to help her. She almost has that moment, but it doesn't stick; she's too blinded -- not just by what happened to her boyfriend, but, deep down, because her "superiority" has been challenged.

edit: Jenny's "almost" moment comes after she stabs Cooper, and I just realized this scene is foreshadowed earlier when Steve almost hits Jenny with a socket wrench: convinced she's surrounded by enemies, she kills someone who was on her side.

BisonDollah posted:

the spicy twist at the end that the older generations are as bad as the youth knife gangs
She automatically trusts the adults because they're adults, just like she automatically distrusted the kids because they're kids. She assumes they'll help her because she's from a social class that can't comprehend the existence of a place that doesn't belong to them.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 18, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's also worth noting that, like, in Eden Lake, the "bourgeois interlopers" don't actually do anything.

their crimes against the lower class consist of... going camping. for which they are viciously tortured to death.

the movie is pretty deliberately made to frame the upper-class interlopers as complete innocent protagonists, and the lower class as monstrous psychopaths who love nothing more than torture, death and rape. an oppositional reading of the film is technically possible, but it requires you to rely on what you bring into the film ideologically rather than on the film itself, which has a shocking clarity of purpose.

e: since the oppositional reading seems to hinge on the protagonists fighting back against the kids, it's probably noteworthy that this only occurs after they've tied a man to a rock and tortured him to death in full view of one of the protagonists, for no apparent reason.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

It's important that the characters whose lives will be impacted the most by the coming changes, the children, are the ones who finally have enough and decide to fight back. Jenny and Steve are only framed as the protagonists because they're never given the introspection to have an "are we the baddies?" moment. Both of the kids Jenny kills, Cooper and Paige, had already ditched Brett and would probably have been able to help her. She almost has that moment, but it doesn't stick; she's too blinded -- not just by what happened to her boyfriend, but, deep down, because her "superiority" has been challenged.

edit: Jenny's "almost" moment comes after she stabs Cooper, and I just realized this scene is foreshadowed earlier when Steve almost hits Jenny with a socket wrench: convinced she's surrounded by enemies, she kills someone who was on her side.

She automatically trusts the adults because they're adults, just like she automatically distrusted the kids because they're kids. She assumes they'll help her because she's from a social class that can't comprehend the existence of a place that doesn't belong to them.

The "fight back" is against adults attempting to exert some authority over the kids, which is framed around the abusive household of the main antagonist Brett who resents his father. When unassuming adult strangers attempt to ask Brett and his friends to turn down their music they are given the impetuous drive to bully and harass them (just like the small kid they bully on their introduction in the film; who likely lives in the area) which escalates to cold-blooded torture and murder. The film is made in the middle of the ASBO (anti-social behaviour order) era where knife crime, grime music and youth gangs were seen as signs of social degradation and tabloid front pages gladly flew off the shelves announcing that daily. The idea that working class families were violent, abusive wasters is nothing but affirmed in Eden Lake which ends with Brett donning the expensive sunglasses he stole and looking in the mirror with a smile as screams are heard from downstairs. There is no reflection, no celebration of invaders ousted or yuppies put in their place - there is only a landscape where bullying might overcomes all.

There is some commentary on the area being turned into a private gated community which the protagonists mock in the beginning; but as the movie progresses I don't see how the makers of the film make any effort to assuage any conclusions that there may well be a need for gates and division in housing developments.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I have to revisit Attack the Block, I found it impossible to sympathise with the kids after the mugging and home invasion scenes.

Please do!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

I watched it again like a week ago and it absolutely still rules. That scene with Paul is still traumatizing, it's one of the most gruesome practical effects I've ever seen.

80s Blob is also Darabont writing right around the time he was working on Nightmare on Elm Street 3 (but before Shawshank/Green Mile/Walking Dead S1/The Mist), and it feels a ton like what he wrote on Elm Street 3 where he takes every premise to its logical extension.

He also likes killing kids in his horror movies.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

What would've happened if at the beginning of Scream Casey argued with Ghostface when he says that Mrs. Vorhees was the killer in Friday the 13th? What if she was like "Yeah but what about the final scare? Little boy Jason grabs her out of the boat! Technically Mrs. Vorhees is just one of two killers. Also that one guy kills a snake, and to be honest when is Kevin Bacon not 'killing it'?" Do you think he would have respected her game and chilled out?

He would have come up with some dumb excuse to kill her anyway because Stu was mad she dumped him, and it was a killing purely of revenge with bullshit added on to make it look like there was no real motive.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

BisonDollah posted:

When unassuming adult strangers attempt to ask Brett and his friends to turn down their music they are given the impetuous drive to bully and harass them (just like the small kid they bully on their introduction in the film; who likely lives in the area) which escalates to cold-blooded torture and murder.
What you're neglecting is that it never has to get to this point, because all they have to do is leave. They're not immediately attacked, they're given ample opportunity to say "OK, we don't belong here." But they don't, because they don't believe that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The blob is the first movie I ever saw where kids die and it felt truly transgressive at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Monster Party has a lot of strange moments but it definitely surprised me when they killed off a pregnant teenager.