Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Barudak posted:

Further related, the best french food is vietnamese.

Good French food without cheese? Not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
American cuisine seems amazing to me because there's so little of it here. Mexican and BBQ an Cajun and all that good stuff. Have you ever seen what passes for BBQ in Australia?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

There are actually two different types of American cheeses. The both come in singles, but one is a pasteurized process cheese that’s really just a pretty standard blend of a few different cheeses. The other is a pasteurized process cheese product, and that’s the plasticine stuff that most people think of. Take a glance at the labels next time you’re at the grocery store

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

American cuisine seems amazing to me because there's so little of it here. Mexican and BBQ an Cajun and all that good stuff. Have you ever seen what passes for BBQ in Australia?

I'll have you know that a sausage in a slice of white bread covered in tomato sauce from out the front of a Bunnings is THE ONLY bbq worth mentioning!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People who think rouganmian should be soupy (read the idiot in my family I no longer allow to pick up my order) instead of like its literal name, dry.

I'd love to see, whats off about it.

Japan is chockfull of Hispanic food (mostly Mexican themed) and its all wrong. Its all just so wrong. Taco Bell is the best choice I have for that stuff and thats already like two standard deviations of wrong.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Ok understand that this picture and what the Brigadier posted are not lies or exaggerations. This is what you can expect to be served at 80% or more of any BBQ taking place in Australia.

Those sausages? $10 for 24 at coles.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Barudak posted:

Japan is chockfull of Hispanic food (mostly Mexican themed) and its all wrong. Its all just so wrong. Taco Bell is the best choice I have for that stuff and thats already like two standard deviations of wrong.

It's impossible to get good Mexican or Hispanic food where I live. Sometimes I go to a "Mexican" restaurant, hoping that maybe this time...

It always ends in regret.

Now I import masa and other ingredients as I can to try to make my own, but it's not the same. It will never be the same :eng99:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The thing with American food perception around the world is that it's simply seen as hamburgers and hot dogs. Basically Americans are known for fast food, which even though everyone loves it and there's many ways to make it taste great, is still fast food.

All those regional specialities like creole or BBQ in Texas or seafood at your costs (Maine) is almost entirely unknown. Tex mex is ultimately still fast food. The fact that sometimes America will come up with something like the double down does not help this perception.

I once went out with a girl from Texas who was almost frothing at the mouth when she talked about the quality of American BBQ she found in Europe, I got the impression that they take that stuff very serious down there.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've been to one place that ever did American bbq and it was a pub doing it as a one night a week thing. It was the best bbq I've ever had and it was probably what an American would consider garbage tier. It was so good.

I also really want to try some of the Baltimore crabs I saw on the Wire. I have no idea what's even special about them but the way they talked about them made them seem incredible.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Woden posted:

An old room mate of mine drank so much water he couldn't go on a road trip longer than an hour without needing a piss break. I get that a lot of people aren't hydrating enough, but some people take it to the extreme.
Same. I've had some people tell me they don't think I'm drinking enough but a common scenario to this day is making myself a 16oz fruit and veggie smoothie (just fruit, vegetables, water, no extra sugar) and quaff it down in 5-10 minutes.

An hour later I'll drink a 20oz coffee about as quickly and for the next couple of hours, I'm "omg, gotta go!" pissing every 20 minutes.

If I space out the delay time from an hour to even 90 minutes, its not a problem

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Ziv Zulander posted:

There are actually two different types of American cheeses. The both come in singles, but one is a pasteurized process cheese that’s really just a pretty standard blend of a few different cheeses. The other is a pasteurized process cheese product, and that’s the plasticine stuff that most people think of. Take a glance at the labels next time you’re at the grocery store

Processed cheese is fine. It's a really good emulsifier for other harder cheeses.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 18, 2020

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

A snip from a really good article on "What is American cheese":

quote:

Where American cheese (or "Pasteurized Process American Cheese," as the FDA likes to call it*) differs is that once the cheese is made (and yes, American cheese starts with real, honest-to-goodness cheese), it is blended with a few other ingredients to alter its texture and flavor. The exact details of these subsequent processes are what determines the labeling on the package, and those can be as simple as blending it with another cheese or as complex as melting it with additional whey, milk proteins, and emulsifying salts. This is what allows American cheese to melt without breaking or turning greasy the way a traditional cheese does.

The process itself was invented in Switzerland, in an effort to reduce cheese waste; scraps from various batches of cheese could be melted together and formed into a new, delicious product. In 1916, Canadian-American entrepreneur and cheese salesman James Kraft perfected the technique in the US, patented it, and started selling the very first process American cheese. It soon became immensely popular due to its long shelf life and easy shipping.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People who dip their pizza's into ranch dressing, and their fouler cousin, the woman at a party who pre-ranched an entire pizza for everyone. No, no thats not helping.

Pizza being another American food shoved onto the rest of the planet, even the countries that hate cheese.

I've been to one place that ever did American bbq and it was a pub doing it as a one night a week thing. It was the best bbq I've ever had and it was probably what an American would consider garbage tier. It was so good.

I also really want to try some of the Baltimore crabs I saw on the Wire. I have no idea what's even special about them but the way they talked about them made them seem incredible.

You can probably fairly easily obtain the seasoning blend they use, Old Bay, and its around 50%+ the flavor of the crabs served. Its a solid seasoning mix in general, and goes surprisingly well with potatoes so don't worry about having too much left over after a crab-speriment.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ok understand that this picture and what the Brigadier posted are not lies or exaggerations. This is what you can expect to be served at 80% or more of any BBQ taking place in Australia.

Also Bunnings, family gatherings, and voting booths.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE1HriDzlJs

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Myron Baloney posted:

Hershey's chocolate is good. Milk chocolate itself is good and Hershey's is one of the better ones. Everybody screams about how they love complex flavors. Well, the ever-so-slight butyric tang of Hershey's milk chocolate is complex as hell, and I think milk chocolate without it tastes bland and sugary in comparison. No, it does not taste like vomit. No more than blue mold cheeses or Parmigiano do - and since those can be acquired tastes maybe that's the issue. My only complaint about Hershey's is that it dries out fairly quickly so maybe if you don't like it you got some old chocolate. Hershey's Kisses dry out about ten minutes after they're made.

:aaaaa:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also Bunnings, family gatherings, and voting booths.

you serve that to your fuckin family? what in the gently caress

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Just Google fairy bread for another horrid example of aussie cuisine

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
ANother note on "American Cheese". It's just a cheese base added with an emulsifier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aGKiWQnMJc

You can start with any cheese that doesn't contain large hard bits. The only difference from the base cheese is a change in texture and it's saltier.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

The_Continental posted:

Just Google fairy bread for another horrid example of aussie cuisine

Oh idk, seems pretty cool to me. Crunchy sprinkle toast is basic but nice. Did you ever make cinnamon sugar toast? That poo poo is so good. Ive always been a sugar fiend though.

One time at the bakery a new hire said he never ate sugar because it blocks the third eye. He did not bring this up in the interview. I asked him why he would want to work at a bakery that specializes in pastry and not go work with bread. He said he would just work and not eat anything. Tasting our product every now and again is a big part of how we quality control. He said sugar blocks the pineal gland and inhibits his intuition and spirituality and that he wouldn't taste but would produce good product due to his intuition.

Everything he made was bad! He was fired at the end of the week.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

Blue crabs have a more delicate, less fishy flavor then some other types of crab. Here are my mom's rules for a crab feast (which is a cookout where you eat crabs, okay?)

gotta cover the table in newspaper
    the kids get the funny pages
    kids under 7 get help with their crab - any older and you're old enough to pick your own
    beer in the steamer
    you drink beer, not wine

You steam the crabs whole, then season them with liberally with Old Bay or the crab seasoning of your choice.

Old Bay's website also has a solid recipe for crab cakes if that's more your style.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Oh idk, seems pretty cool to me. Crunchy sprinkle toast is basic but nice. Did you ever make cinnamon sugar toast? That poo poo is so good. Ive always been a sugar fiend though.

One time at the bakery a new hire said he never ate sugar because it blocks the third eye. He did not bring this up in the interview. I asked him why he would want to work at a bakery that specializes in pastry and not go work with bread. He said he would just work and not eat anything. Tasting our product every now and again is a big part of how we quality control. He said sugar blocks the pineal gland and inhibits his intuition and spirituality and that he wouldn't taste but would produce good product due to his intuition.

Everything he made was bad! He was fired at the end of the week.

"Hey man, glad to have you now that HR's done with ya. So. This is HelpDesk, we'll be doing some remote support of users, some phone calls, some product support. ...Here's your desk. I'll just need you to log in and let you get set up. "...no." Alright."

e: also can I come work at your bakery

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 18, 2020

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

CynCyanide posted:

beer in the steamer

explain

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

mmmm-mmm, steamed beer. old family recipe.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You know how you use water to steam things? Such as broccoli, shrimp, other steamable things? You suspend them in a basket, and under the basket, the pot is full of water.

You seal it and put it all to flame and call the whole thing "Steaming x".

You put BEER in the Steamer instead of water.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
Mayonnaise on french fries makes me cringe. I don't know if that makes me unreasonably weird or the people eating that gross combination of taste and texture weird. ughhhhh though. gross. I mean feel free to eat it.. just please don't make me watch.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Meet the speed-eater who can consume more than three jars of mayonnaise in three minutes

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
OH no! I almost just threw up in my mouth. Ugh!

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Meet the speed-eater who can consume more than three jars of mayonnaise in three minutes

I know this girl IRL

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

I know this girl IRL

That is for real? Ugh, that chick is nasty.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Star Me Kitten posted:

That is for real? Ugh, that chick is nasty.

Hell yeah, she’s always doing big eating contests and poo poo. She’s pretty cool

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

"Hey man, glad to have you now that HR's done with ya. So. This is HelpDesk, we'll be doing some remote support of users, some phone calls, some product support. ...Here's your desk. I'll just need you to log in and let you get set up. "...no." Alright."

e: also can I come work at your bakery

The worst part was how smug he was about not eating sugar in a room full of people who obviously eat sugar almost everyday for work. Like, go hang out with the bread boys if that's your attitude then.

As for the bakery, that one got sold after I left it so I have no idea what that situation is anymore. I also quit work to have my kid and since the pandemic hit it's completely changed the plan from going back to work to staying home until this poo poo is over (years!). When I enter the workforce again, I will definitely consider your proposition. First a pre-interview: Do you eat sugar? How jacked up is your pineal gland?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

No. I won't do that I think actually.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

You add beer to the water you use to steam the crabs. It gives it a kick and by kick I mean a kind of beer flavor, it's good.

edit: the beer is optional you don't have to add it, you can just steam them using only water.

CynCyanide fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 18, 2020

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I steam crabs in good semi-sweet white wine. Its real good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I live in the PNW and we have the other kind of crab (Dungeness) and it's great don't get me wrong, but I've always wanted to cross over for some of that forbidden east coast blue crab.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm pretty open to most foods but I cannot abide even thinking about or looking at food with a gelatinous texture. The way you cut into it cleanly and it still moves is completely repulsive to me. Jello, Creme Caramel, even the outside of hard boiled eggs is a hard nope from me.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

I once went out with a girl from Texas who was almost frothing at the mouth when she talked about the quality of American BBQ she found in Europe, I got the impression that they take that stuff very serious down there.

She probably says that about BBQ everywhere outside of Texas because Texans are so hosed in the head that they think that BBQ is made from beef.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

She probably says that about BBQ everywhere outside of Texas because Texans are so hosed in the head that they think that BBQ is made from beef.

I was also gonna say people tend to suffer from this problem where they get obsessed with regional food and because a big part of enjoying something is placebo and perception it becomes literally impossible for them to acknowledge something else is just as good or even god forbid better than whatever it is they’ve put on a pedestal. You could probably prank this Texas lady by spending an inordinate amount of money and flying a pro pit master out from Texas but letting her thing the food was a local inauthentic recipe and she’d hate it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ArbitraryC posted:

I was also gonna say people tend to suffer from this problem where they get obsessed with regional food and because a big part of enjoying something is placebo and perception it becomes literally impossible for them to acknowledge something else is just as good or even god forbid better than whatever it is they’ve put on a pedestal. You could probably prank this Texas lady by spending an inordinate amount of money and flying a pro pit master out from Texas but letting her thing the food was a local inauthentic recipe and she’d hate it.
Problem with this plan is the Texan BBQ Pitmaster will catch on fire if he ever leaves the Lone Star State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

brah chronic tacos. sure, it's not socal family restaurant good, but it's at least chipotle tier if you need an emergency infusion of soul food