Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Bored Online posted:

save us ubuntu phone (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

amazing how these companies can also ban the installation of binaries through web browsers on the device and require all installs go through their trackable, givable to police app store

yes, clearly the solution is arbitrary executable installation through a web browser, that would definitely improve mobile computing and not brick everyone's phone with 200 dueling crypto miners [and police surveillance apps]

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
that’s the Play Store

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I’m sure Steam or UbiSoft or loving EA aren’t great platform keepers to deal with either, but you tend not to hear the same nightmares as with Apple. I’m not saying that Apple is inherently worse but I think their stebe jobes “my way or you’re outta here buster” act leads to a lot of unnecessarily bad feelings and optics.

So it’s not just the 30% cut, it’s also how much of a petty tyrant you look like in the process and how much of a hypocrite you look like too. Like I remember a big viral story a few months back had nothing to do with 30% or payments dick-waving, some poor schmo just had their account locked for weeks without explanation:

https://rambo.codes/posts/2019-11-05-apple-has-locked-me-out-of-my-developer-account

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

:chloe:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

if i was epic, and upset about apple taking my hard-earned v-bucks money, i would simply sell more v-bucks

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
its almost as if computers are fundamentally incompatible with humanity

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
endless mike, you are epic. let noone tell you otherwise

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The gamers are revolting

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bored Online posted:

save us ubuntu phone (lol)

people unfriended me for telling them phone bloks was horseshit

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
ah yes, the time when we thought PCIe over micro-pogo pins was a good idea and would save everyone from the tyranny of buying a new phone

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

graph posted:

people unfriended me for telling them phone bloks was horseshit

i hate to tell u this but those people weren't your friends

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Why is the PinePhone so cheap, is it a completely useless brick

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

President Beep posted:

endless mike, you are epic. let noone tell you otherwise

i know his posts give me mumps

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk why apple also just couldn’t have a policy where 30% is negotiable if big enough companies asked

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

uh...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/30/21348108/apple-amazon-prime-video-app-store-special-treatment-fee-subscriptions

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

idk why apple also just couldn’t have a policy where 30% is negotiable if big enough companies asked

they literally do this lol

epic won't be happy until they get to be on the app store free

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i thought they’d been pretty open about subscription charges being negotiable?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh I thought apple was saying everyone has the same 30% rule. welp

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

huh, strange that every single major store has the same take and the same non-negotiable policies. almost like the variety of stores/platforms only give the illusion of competition and there is an unspoken truce between providers to keep a profitable market division and price fixing scheme in place.

no that couldn't be it, 30% take and complete bans on using other payment processors is a fundamental physical constant of online distribution platforms. you might as well ask why the speed of light is c, it just is ok.

see we have a free market and the limit of App Store profit margins as efficiency goes to infinity approaches 30. its simple math.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

lol edit

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

hobbesmaster posted:

i thought they’d been pretty open about subscription charges being negotiable?

go negotiate with them and report back lol

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Apple doesn't mention anything negotiable in their statement to Spotify, from last year. If anything, this shows that Amazon got a sweetheart deal.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

wow. stebe would never tolerate that.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Maximo Roboto posted:

lol what does your heart tell you about the linux phone

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’s like the last part of the good earth when the dying father is all like “sons, take care of the land” and they’re all like “sure dad!” as they wink at each other.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Maximo Roboto posted:

Apple doesn't mention anything negotiable in their statement to Spotify, from last year. If anything, this shows that Amazon got a sweetheart deal.

more like bezos personally twisted tims balls until he cried uncle

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

amazon got that deal in exchange for selling apple products again, its that simple

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Maximo Roboto posted:

at no point was the PinePhone designed or tested, it was merely assembled

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

huh, strange that every single major store has the same take and the same non-negotiable policies. almost like the variety of stores/platforms only give the illusion of competition and there is an unspoken truce between providers to keep a profitable market division and price fixing scheme in place.

no that couldn't be it, 30% take and complete bans on using other payment processors is a fundamental physical constant of online distribution platforms. you might as well ask why the speed of light is c, it just is ok.

So Apple should let Epic put a free game on their store, provide the bandwidth for distribution, the servers for storing the game, the hardware to play the game on, the SDK, and the support for free because why?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

amazon got that deal in exchange for selling apple products again, its that simple

apple’s online store isn’t difficult to order from. they probably wanted amazon’s content because it’s exclusive and didn’t want prime subscribers to start getting looking into getting a firetv box whereas spotify just licenses the same music as everyone else so who cares

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

ratbert90 posted:

So Apple should let Epic put a free game on their store, provide the bandwidth for distribution, the servers for storing the game, the hardware to play the game on, the SDK, and the support for free because why?

those are paid with the apple developer program which costs $99 a year, if thats not enough they should just increase it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also its apple that mandates the use of apples distribution system so any costs are self inflicted

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

tiered levels obviously have their own host of problems but it's perhaps an issue that a company the size of Epic is in the same pool as say, Panic, let alone the billions of single-dev apps.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

was panic trying to sell an ftp client for your phone in 2020

i dont think its the app store making that unprofitable

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

no one has suggested that this is the desirable or expected outcome.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

was panic trying to sell an ftp client for your phone in 2020

i dont think its the app store making that unprofitable

they stopped making an ftp client for your phone like 2 years ago

now they are making their own game console with the screen from the Pebble watch

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

for one hundred and fifty united states doll hairs lmao

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Panic gave us Audion, and later Firewatch and Untitled Goose Game. Panic good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
some would say they were in a state of .... pamic