Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

It really doesn't sound like a bad deal. My oldest kid is almost 8 and he has been asking for an iPhone since he turned 4. I was just curious from the standpoint of "since it's a 1 year commitment, I want to ensure the phone will easily survive the year". I can activate my old iPhone 6+ for him so he can play pokemon / whatever and I don't have to set up a wifi hotspot for him. I can't imagine the taxes and fees to be that bad, right?
I would also assume that this is a standard Sprint "bill credit to be applied within 2 billing cycles" sort of thing.

EDIT: I called to confirm that adding the line would not switch my existing lines' plans (unlimited freedom) to the new plan which offers less wifi hotspot and lower video quality allowance. They assured me it wouldn't make any difference and so I went ahead and did it. Now I have to come to terms with giving a 7 year old an iPhone to play with (at specific times, not carte blanche)

otter fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

It looks like they're still letting you switch from SERO to SWAC. I really dragged my feet on that and didn't fill out the form until yesterday.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
So is the merger officially the beginning of the end for those of us still on the old SERO plans? I read some press release where T-Mobile said it'd keep the plans the same for about three years, but it doesn't seem set in stone.

I think I first got on SERO for $35/month in 2007. Paying a whopping $55/month today for my iPhone. By far the most valuable thing I've gotten from SA--including all of the free stuff I used to get when Freebies were an acceptable subforum topic. It was a drat good run.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Blakkout posted:

So is the merger officially the beginning of the end for those of us still on the old SERO plans? I read some press release where T-Mobile said it'd keep the plans the same for about three years, but it doesn't seem set in stone.

I think I first got on SERO for $35/month in 2007. Paying a whopping $55/month today for my iPhone. By far the most valuable thing I've gotten from SA--including all of the free stuff I used to get when Freebies were an acceptable subforum topic. It was a drat good run.

Might be too late now but you could've switched to the $30/mo SWAC or $40/mo SWAC with amazon prime with this form:
https://sprint.custhelp.com/app/EWD/SEROtoSWAC

info PDF about SWAC plans: https://www.sprint.com/content/dam/sprint/north-america/usa/en/advantage-club/swac-overview-guide-4-5-19.pdf

Note no 3rd party store upgrades, which was sometimes the story for SERO too.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Thanks. Guess I'm riding this one out until the bitter end now.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Do still try to switch to SWAC, though... SERO to SWAC dropped my bill from roughly $54 to $36/mo, while adding some nice capabilities (hotspot data, more data in mexico/canada)

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

WoG posted:

Do still try to switch to SWAC, though... SERO to SWAC dropped my bill from roughly $54 to $36/mo, while adding some nice capabilities (hotspot data, more data in mexico/canada)

SWAC is dead. Effective 8/2 Sprint retired SWAC. Employees can no longer invite new friends or family to join. Existing SWAC accounts are not impacted and can continue to add lines and manage their account as normal.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Not that it matters in the current environment, but I stopped getting the $20 Uber credit with my SWAC a few months ago.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

puppy party posted:

SWAC is dead. Effective 8/2 Sprint retired SWAC. Employees can no longer invite new friends or family to join. Existing SWAC accounts are not impacted and can continue to add lines and manage their account as normal.
Alrighty then. Condolences to whoever missed it

Medullah posted:

Not that it matters in the current environment, but I stopped getting the $20 Uber credit with my SWAC a few months ago.
IIRC, that was advertised as a 12 month perk

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
They just renewed my Prime, so that is still going.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WoG posted:

Alrighty then. Condolences to whoever missed it

IIRC, that was advertised as a 12 month perk

I was going to say no, I haven't been on SWAC for a year but then I remembered 7 months have passed in 2020. Time is a flat circle

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

My mobile hotspot worked yesterday morning, and yesterday afternoon it was greyed out. Is this happening to anyone else or an issue with the T-Mobile merger?

I checked and it still shows up in my Sprint as something I should have.
Lgg8x on swac if that matters.

I checked my usage and today is the last day of my billing cycle and I've used all of 1gb of data. So it's not like I've capped out or something.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 17, 2020

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

RodShaft posted:

My mobile hotspot worked yesterday morning, and yesterday afternoon it was greyed out. Is this happening to anyone else or an issue with the T-Mobile merger?

I checked my usage and today is the last day of my billing cycle and I've used all of 1gb of data. So it's not like I've capped out or something.

I would actually check on Reddit under your phone model and see if anybody else is having the same issue. It could be something that you might have to factory reset to get around or some other little trick.

Or you can post in the Reddit Sprint's or T-Mobile threads and see if he can get a response there.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
RIP Sprint rewards. I'll miss my 5$ random Amazon and other gift certificates (just used like 5 of them for Panera recently). Is the TMobile analog any good?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

LorneReams posted:

RIP Sprint rewards. I'll miss my 5$ random Amazon and other gift certificates (just used like 5 of them for Panera recently). Is the TMobile analog any good?

So far the T-Mobile free stuff app is definitely a downgrade from what we were getting. It's definitely not as convenient.

Most of the free offers require you to download an app for the vendor before you can get the deal.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

T-mobile's pseudo-gift cards with a limited time to redeem suck.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

LorneReams posted:

If you like watching blackout laden baseball or don’t subscribe to The Athletic then it’s a good deal otherwise their offers are more marketing than anything. Overall pretty lame since the merger.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

LorneReams posted:

moolchaba posted:

So far the T-Mobile free stuff app is definitely a downgrade from what we were getting. It's definitely not as convenient.

Most of the free offers require you to download an app for the vendor before you can get the deal.
I mean, my popeyes chicken sandwich and 2 piece chicken was pretty drat good, thats worth $7-$8. I have a $2 baskin robbins code but I don't usually go there. Free redbox rentals I think but don't use that either.

I'm pretty happy with it so far.

e: Later today is a free sandwich from dickeys bbq pit.

Previous months: Free impossible whopper, $2 Baskin Robbins, MLB.TV 2020 season for free, Walgreens free 8x10 photo, Free Auntie Annes pretzel, 1 year free shop runner, Doritos locos taco, $8 large pizza 8 wing combo at pizza hut, $4 tix to Predator, Sonic the Hedgehog, Deadpool 2

Cage fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 18, 2020

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

GoatSeeGuy posted:

If you like watching blackout laden baseball or don’t subscribe to The Athletic then it’s a good deal otherwise their offers are more marketing than anything. Overall pretty lame since the merger.

Quote is not Edit: Today our favorite, the Amazon gift card is back.....if you win. I didn’t. Are there some nice things occasionally sure, but it’s mostly a digital Val-Pak coupon envelope.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 18, 2020

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Won a $5 gift card but man the amount of hoops you have to jump through to obtain it is almost not worth it.

Sprint rewards was vastly better than Tuesdays so far. That and it did offer some other travel perks and whatnot that were worth checking out.

As for the free line stuff mentioned earlier. I picked it up and activated it on my Essential Phone I had lying around. Useful to have internet on it now when I use it for it's B&W or 360 camera.

It did add ~$5 to my monthly bill bringing it up to roughly $50 a month as my main line is on the premium SWAC plan with all it's perks. Outside of that nothing else seems to have changed. The one limit you will see though is you cannot buy a phone on lease to the free line. It's full price, or BYOD nothing else. But hey, free is "free" enough at least.

One thing I wonder is how good phone call quality will continue to be when T-Mobile finally kills off Sprints CDMA. The only thing I can do on my phone my wife can't on her iPhone, is hold a conversation all the way from our place to the lake about 30 minutes away and out in the boonies. I can hold the call perfectly the entire way, but she runs into the old style GSM "I can't hear you! Can you hear me!" Dead spots and will often drop the call. Data for me out there is pretty sparse, but phone works fantastic pretty much everywhere in NorCal.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Yeah, I bought a T-Mobile prepaid phone to test out their network, but their network is clearly worse than Sprint's in my area, which is not great (we're in an area where T-Mobile doesn't have access to their 700Mhz spectrum).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So our phones are supposed to freely roam between the two, but at what point is it planned that we can finally get a phone that just treats it as one single big network?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

EdEddnEddy posted:

So our phones are supposed to freely roam between the two, but at what point is it planned that we can finally get a phone that just treats it as one single big network?

Looking in to this, Sprint can roam on T-Mobile (and I have seen this happening). T-Mobile cannot roam on Sprint, which probably isn't an issue most places, but is a big issue around me.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The Sprint network is literally being dismantled. T-Mobile is taking all of Sprint's spectrum (except band 26, which they are selling to Dish) and shifting it to the T-Mobile network. At some point they will probably send you a new SIM card that natively operates on the T-Mobile network and any future devices you buy will just be T-Mobile devices.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The main thing I do look forward too is being able to pick up an unlocked ASUS or some other phone that can actually work on the new network. The limit of options with CDMA was the one main bummer being on Sprint for me at least.

Since Pixel has started to really loose it's edge, the Zenphone 8/ROG Gamer Phone 4 or something would be right up my alley. Going to try and stretch this Pixel 2XL until next year but we will see. I would have been all over the Surface Duo except that price and no NFC kinda noped it right out of the running until I maybe can snag it on a sale or soemthing.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

My T-Mobile Tuesday app offered me a sandwich at a restaurant (Dickey's) that closed months ago. Yay!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

otter posted:

My T-Mobile Tuesday app offered me a sandwich at a restaurant (Dickey's) that closed months ago. Yay!

I don't know about other Dickey's restaurants, but ours has the driest meat sandwiches in the world that even a gallon of mayonnaise couldn't save.

Also, I'm looking forward to being able to get a phone that I can actually root and put custom bootloader, etc. I always get the two year ago Flagship Samsung phone and I'm tired of their stupid Bixby button and other design choices that force features down my throat that I don't want.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

RodShaft posted:

I figured it out.

There is apparently a data saver toggle that got toggled. My phone does a lot of random stuff in my pocket (including calling emergency) so I'm blaming that.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I stopped in to the local tmobile store to pickup my free mask.

Maybe next month they'll have vaccines to handout.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

It'd have been awesome if they had been willing to mail them out during a pandemic instead of making people redeem in-person. Make it a web form that also tries to sell you things, whatever.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah. But all will be forgiven when I win that $1,000 Dunkin Donuts prize.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I got that free line from Sprint a free months ago (or however long ago, who can tell time doing Coronatine). I threw a note 3 on there that has about 2 hours battery life. Are t mobile phones supported yet? Do I bother buying a Sprint phone or will support die? I just want something cheap because this is going to be for my 7yo as a utility phone just for calling me or the wife.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Since Sprint accounts are still using the Sprint network any phone you use on your free line will need to be compatible with Sprint, though you should look for unlocked models that also work on T-Mobile (in particular look for VoLTE support and LTE band 71; T-Mobile has a list here) so you won't need to buy yet another phone when the Sprint network is finally shut down. Recent phones in the the Moto E and Moto G series tick both those boxes.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Who feels like going to their local mall? Who still has one?? B1G1 pretzel, pretzel nugs, mini dogs and pretzel hot dogs and Auntie Annes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also half off The Dyrt Pro which is a camping discount website? Great.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Is quibi as stupid as all the advertising makes it look?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

RodShaft posted:

Is quibi as stupid as all the advertising makes it look?

https://twitter.com/zachraffio/status/1250273191810875392?lang=en

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I might actually take the bait on it just because I want to see their quarantine edition of the Princess Bride.
I could imagine though, they are having a meeting to look over new "talent"
Channel head: What's the status on that new Youtube channel?
Channel scout: Well, the direction was terrible, the acting was rubbish, the editing was just... yeah not good. The writing of the show made me die a little inside and reconsider why I went to college.
Channel head: That's the best report I've heard all week. Let's offer them a $1M development deal before Peacock scoops them up!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Okay this makes me want it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Signed up for Klarna to get my $5 amazon card. Tried to get my panera card but they locked it until 2pm est. :rolleyes: Theres also $15 at mlbshop.com ($5 shipping) and still free quibi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cage posted:

still free quibi.

It's going to be like the U2 album that was forced onto iPhones a while back. Every new T-Mobile phone "gently caress you you get Quibi"