Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

movax posted:

20GB. What am I supposed to do with 20GB.

Minecraft RTX. (only sorta kidding)

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

With all the speculation going on, I assume if you are just on the fence to wait for the Gamer Nexus/Hardware Unboxed's of the PC review world to give their take on the 3000RTX cards on launch in September before you even think about putting your money down? The rumor mill around new GPUs is just seems like a endless overwhleming hype train that people are going to keep going on Reddit as they pre-order a unproven video card that costs as much as most systems.

Yes. Unless you're still rocking like a 960 or something else that's simply not up to the task of moderate gaming today, the smart money is to wait and see what the holy hell NVidia's lineup ends up actually being, what the street prices are, and what the performance bands are. Not being in line to order on day 1 might mean you wait a few more weeks to get a card, but at least it'll mean you get the card best suited to your needs instead of overpaying potentially hundreds of dollars by trying to grab the card you think you need.

And, yeah, we're not helping the hype train / speculation because most of us here are bored as poo poo with the lack of legitimate information, so we're grabbing on to any leak, regardless of how outlandish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm waiting for Zen 3 and if you can wait too then 4 weeks is enough for the consumer consensus to form around "wait a minute the fan on this one is incredibly loud" or "they borked the bios on this batch".

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yes. Always wait for reviews.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I recently bought an EVGA B-Stock 1660 Ti for my modest SFF gaming PC that I'm putting together soon (still on Haswell CPU architecture). I'll wait for an EVGA B-Stock 3060 for sub $150 in a few years when I eventually swap my motherboard/RAM to whatever Zen CPU that supports DDR5. Maybe by then Intel will have a decent competitor in the GPU space I could also consider. Lmao, they won't.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Taima posted:

AdoredTV (one of the better, and one of the most SCOTTISH of the well-known leakers)
lol god no

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

DrDork posted:

Minecraft RTX. (only sorta kidding)

Yes. Unless you're still rocking like a 960 or something else that's simply not up to the task of moderate gaming today, the smart money is to wait and see what the holy hell NVidia's lineup ends up actually being, what the street prices are, and what the performance bands are. Not being in line to order on day 1 might mean you wait a few more weeks to get a card, but at least it'll mean you get the card best suited to your needs instead of overpaying potentially hundreds of dollars by trying to grab the card you think you need.

And, yeah, we're not helping the hype train / speculation because most of us here are bored as poo poo with the lack of legitimate information, so we're grabbing on to any leak, regardless of how outlandish.

Alchenar posted:

I'm waiting for Zen 3 and if you can wait too then 4 weeks is enough for the consumer consensus to form around "wait a minute the fan on this one is incredibly loud" or "they borked the bios on this batch".

I am probably just going to wait until next year before I switch out my 1080ti. I had to emergency replace my processor and motherboard last month so my resources are tapped out right now for pc upgrades(hooray for responsible budgeting). It’s not a bad thing since I normally never buy hardware at launch and wait for the performance reviews to see where I need to go and wait for revisions since the first batch of video cards always have some quirk or issue that resolved. Nothing I am playing is too intense for the 1080ti and 3700. The only game I am looking to play is cyberpunk 2077 and the Cold War call of duty.

Even then I am looking at the 3080 or 3070 because the prices are straight up murder so I better be using it for years.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was going to 'just buy whatever the 3080/3070 is' but now I want to wait and see how these cards all review, how the new AMD cards (no news at all, I assume we'll start hearing rumours in about a month?) review, and wait for the dust to settle. I have enough of a backlog that it's not a big deal. If I have to wait for a month after ordering a card before it arrives, fine. I also don't want to put down $2000 right now because I'd feel like an idiot if I did that then the stock market crashed.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They really need to address the 'double buffer' versions. I'm recalling the 960 days when the 4GB cards had more memory (that arguably couldn't/wouldn't ever be fully addressed or utilized) but it was lower speed than the 2GB cards.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They really need to address the 'double buffer' versions. I'm recalling the 960 days when the 4GB cards had more memory (that arguably couldn't/wouldn't ever be fully addressed or utilized) but it was lower speed than the 2GB cards.

Or the fun that was the 1060 3GB vs 6GB debacle, where they cut 10% of the cores out for the 3GB version but kept the same name.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I don't get why people keep giving him the spotlight, he's just a random guy as far as I can tell, and he's spread plenty of mis-information before

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

HalloKitty posted:

I don't get why people keep giving him the spotlight, he's just a random guy as far as I can tell, and he's spread plenty of mis-information before

He developed a rabid fanbase catering to r/AMD fanboys back in the dark days of AMD when they were still on Bulldozer and GCN when they were getting crushed by Skylake and Pascal. He was one of the only pro-AMD youtubers at a time where there was legitimately no reason to be pro-AMD outside of fanboyism. So they still support him even though he was hilariously wrong on Zen 2 and Vega.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The leaked specs seem to suggest that the titan will have double the memory but slower speed GDDR6X than the 3090, so whats old is new again!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Cygni posted:

The leaked specs seem to suggest that the titan will have double the memory but slower speed GDDR6X than the 3090, so whats old is new again!

DRAM -> VRAM is infinitely slower than slightly slower gddr6x

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

True, but for all the gamers out there who aren't going to need the gobs of VRAM the Titan purportedly will come with, the slower VRAM will reduce performance. In theory. Assuming any of this is correct. Who the gently caress knows.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It depends on how they do it. If it's still a 384-bit bus but with double-density memory chips or with twice as many memory chips running in clamshell mode, then it won't improve bandwidth.

I strongly doubt they are doing a 768-bit bus, that would be nuts.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

DrDork posted:

True, but for all the gamers out there who aren't going to need the gobs of VRAM the Titan purportedly will come with, the slower VRAM will reduce performance. In theory. Assuming any of this is correct. Who the gently caress knows.

Titan is not for gamers, except those for whom money doesn't matter; it's for ML engineers and GPGPU folks

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm excited for this generation. It feels like the transition to programmable pipeline where the first releases could technically do it but the next set could do it well enough to be practical. These $1400 or whatever rumours are frightening though.

Is 20% compounding annual improvement in perf/$ in the mid+ range really that unreasonable? I got my 1080 for $600 almost exactly four years ago. Expecting double the performance for about the same price this year oughtn't to be too much to ask imo but I'm not feeling optimistic.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

Titan is not for gamers, except those for whom money doesn't matter; it's for ML engineers and GPGPU folks

While true, that won't stop some gamers from buying it because it's THE BESTEST.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Beautiful Ninja posted:

He developed a rabid fanbase catering to r/AMD fanboys back in the dark days of AMD when they were still on Bulldozer and GCN when they were getting crushed by Skylake and Pascal. He was one of the only pro-AMD youtubers at a time where there was legitimately no reason to be pro-AMD outside of fanboyism. So they still support him even though he was hilariously wrong on Zen 2 and Vega.

Is "Moore's Law is dead" pandering to the same crowd? His videos always clickbaiting that Big Navi is going to crush X.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I've been waiting on the 3000 series to hit the market this year for a GPU upgrade from my 1080ti, and I'm glad I bookmarked this thread. I'd have most likely jumped on the first preorder I could with no regards to tests/reviews/comparisons.
I'm wondering if Nvidia stopped making the 2000 series cards so that they can charge the unconfirmed ridiculous amounts for the 3000 series with no other option for buyers looking for "RTX".

Edit:

Lockback posted:

NVidia always discontinues the previous model a few months before the next gen comes out, it's been like that for a while.

Sometimes the stock is big enough to keep selling the old series for a while, sometime not.

Ah, okay - makes sense.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 18, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Malcolm XML posted:

well yeah but i was just pointing the similarity out geeze

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kragger99 posted:

I'm wondering if Nvidia stopped making the 2000 series cards so that they can charge the unconfirmed ridiculous amounts for the 3000 series with no other option for buyers looking for "RTX".

NVidia always discontinues the previous model a few months before the next gen comes out, it's been like that for a while.

Sometimes the stock is big enough to keep selling the old series for a while, sometime not.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Yeah, that's standard procedure for everyone in the tech industry: no one keeps making old stuff after new stuff is ready. No one (including retailers) want to be caught holding stock of just-outdated stuff, so all the manufacturers start cutting off production a bit prior to the launch of a new thing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Is "Moore's Law is dead" pandering to the same crowd? His videos always clickbaiting that Big Navi is going to crush X.

Seems to be. I get a big Adored vibe from him. Just repeating any rumor that makes AMD look good or their competitors look bad.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I just want 2080 super performance for $500 or 2080ti level for $700.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Seamonster posted:

:hmmyes:

I assume/hope that's what the 3070/3070ti is.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Seamonster posted:

If that previous chart is anywhere near accurate, the 3070 might indeed slot in at around the 2080Ti performance level. Pricing...remains to be seen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

If that previous chart is anywhere near accurate, the 3070 might indeed slot in at around the 2080Ti performance level. Pricing...remains to be seen.

Based on what they did with 20xx, I'd guess there 3070 would be like $800 lol

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-flagship-graphics-card-rumored-cost-1399-us/

:shrug:

I would pay 1499 for an FE, gently caress it. Literally the exact price I said I wouldn't go over.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Taima posted:

I would pay 1499 for an FE, gently caress it. Literally the exact price I said I wouldn't go over.

Rampant speculation and all, but if a 3090 is ~$1400 and they still have a 3080Ti, the 3080Ti could still viably live at the ~$1100 price point and everything below that wouldn't have had to move much from where they are now. Were that the case, I'd probably grab the 3080Ti, since I for sure know I don't need all that VRAM.

Or it could just be a re-naming of the 3080Ti and we're all in for (20xx-Price)+$200-$300 if we want something above a 3060 because lol not having meaningful competition at the moment.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

He has been fairly consistent in saying that RNDA 2 will be competitive but that Nvidia will likely keep the crown. DLSS notwithstanding though we are still waiting to see if widespread adoption is coming and when.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Taima posted:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-flagship-graphics-card-rumored-cost-1399-us/

Yeah, that's pretty much the borderline of what I'm willing to spend as well. But the 24GB of VRAM will make me feel better about myself as a person, even though it's likely going to be functionally useless over 12GB.

The rumor of a 512-bit 16GB Big Navi card may have spooked NV into going 24GB of VRAM just to make sure they are top specs on everything.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Taima posted:

I mean at 24GB that's relatively price efficient but unnecessary. Definitely waiting for reviews across the product line before making a purchase

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'll probably go in on day 1 if I can afford it at the time. I guess I didn't learn my lesson skimping on intel 10th gen and getting the 10700k sight unseen.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
24GB?

FIRE UP THE BUTTCOIN MINER SON

*house catches fire*

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Taima posted:

I just hope Nvidia FE cards aren't some overheating buzzing pieces of poo poo compared to whatever AIB partners come out with later.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

If the 3090 is rumored to be the new flagship, why does this chart also show a TITAN?

I know it's all rumors right now, but this sure seems to suggest the 3090 won't be the highest end card.

EDIT: And the post above this one indicates there will be a 3090 and also a TITAN. Still just rumors, but if this is the case doesn't that imply the TITAN is the flagship and not the 3090? Or would the TITAN be targeted toward some non-gaming niche, like mining, training neural networks, etc?

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 19, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

At the same time, as the current owner of a 1080 Ti powering a 1440p144 monitor, that is *exactly* the kind of comparison chart I want to see more of. Though, oh god, my poor loving wallet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I'll probably go in on day 1 if I can afford it at the time. I guess I didn't learn my lesson skimping on intel 10th gen and getting the 10700k sight unseen.

Wait is that a bad chip? I've been looking at it.