Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Ok, here is a question.
How do you cook up a pound of bacon if you have family and friends over for the week?

I just slice that package in half and throw it all in, crank up the heat, and turn it over with a spatula or tongs until done. A big slurry of bacon grease and meat until cooked, but not overcooked, and then drained on some paper towels to get the excess grease off.

My brother does a meticulous "one piece at a time" making sure each individual piece is attended to with proper dedication. I don't give a f either way, but his way takes twice as long to get the job done.

Tell me goons, how do you cook your bacon? I bet we have some strong opinions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i dont, because i think american style bacon strips is fuckin disgusting

canadian and euro style is ok

brotato
May 14, 2013

Internetjack posted:

Ok, here is a question.
How do you cook up a pound of bacon if you have family and friends over for the week?

I just slice that package in half and throw it all in, crank up the heat, and turn it over with a spatula or tongs until done. A big slurry of bacon grease and meat until cooked, but not overcooked, and then drained on some paper towels to get the excess grease off.

My brother does a meticulous "one piece at a time" making sure each individual piece is attended to with proper dedication. I don't give a f either way, but his way takes twice as long to get the job done.

I line the bacon up on a grate over a cookie sheet and cook it in the oven. You can fit a lot of bacon simultaneously in the oven and the fat drips off, making it more crispy. Also it stays really flat which is good if you want to put it on a sandwich or something.

Also thanks to the poster who mentioned the many kinds of cilantro. Maybe I'll get some different seeds to grow and try to figure out which kind tastes the least like Dawn.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Internetjack posted:

Ok, here is a question.

I'd honestly probably do it in the oven for that many people. Easier and requires less attention.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's called bacon, the cooking instructions are in the name.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Definitely the oven, you don't even have to preheat it just slap that poo poo in.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I would boil it, personally

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Wait, I think that might actually be a thing

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Wait, I think that might actually be a thing

twice a month Mandy?

a nice boiled bacon sambo.

ones gotta go

brotato
May 14, 2013

christmas boots posted:

I would boil it, personally

Simmering bacon in a little bit of water allegedly gets good results so???

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That’s what I’m talking about Mandy. Boil the hell out of that poo poo. Hell, put on a movie and come back to see how it’s doing

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
There's a streamer guy I watch sometimes who said he used to hate soup because it was food that was "too wet" and used to hate rice because "it was too many of something"

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

teen witch posted:

twice a month Mandy?

ones gotta go

Mandy is now my mortal enemy whether she knows it or not.

The baking idea is neat though, never even considered that. I'm learning all sorts of cool things in the weird about food thread! Hurray!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

teen witch posted:

twice a month Mandy?

ones gotta go

Anyone who says hubby is capable of this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

brah chronic tacos. sure, it's not socal family restaurant good, but it's at least chipotle tier if you need an emergency infusion of soul food

Laffo I just biked past one yesterday. Ill check it out.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I get nauseous by spring rolls. Just a bite does it independent of what filling they have. Don't know why, but I can't stand them.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
mint leaves suck. make my mojito without it thanks

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

von Braun posted:

mint leaves suck. make my mojito without it thanks
I too enjoy shots of rum and sugar.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like the whole point of the thread isn't really about people with individual weird food tastes but that they insist on getting frothingly road rage homicidal about other people not eating exactly what they eat at all times

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I loving hate pickles. gently caress pickles and gently caress you.

When I was a child I ate too many dill pickle chips and was extremely ill after. (not sure if the chips where the cause or not) I was throwing up none stop and that taste keep coming up with it too. I can't do pickles now because of it.

I'll pretty much try anything else though and I used to be more picky until it it dawned on me it was how bland my parents British style cooking was.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Saalkin posted:

I loving hate pickles. gently caress pickles and gently caress you.

I feel so shameful that I love drat near anything pickled except pickles themselves. Somehow it sets off a weird “THIS FOOD IS POIIIISOOOOOONNNN” alarm

Like I’ve gotten over mushrooms but pickles? Nuh uh

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

serious norman posted:

I get nauseous by spring rolls. Just a bite does it independent of what filling they have. Don't know why, but I can't stand them.

Like the raw Vietnamese kind or the crispy kind Americans call egg rolls. Cause honestly the texture of the uncooked ones is kind of offputting to me.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Like the raw Vietnamese kind or the crispy kind Americans call egg rolls. Cause honestly the texture of the uncooked ones is kind of offputting to me.

Yeah, I can understand not liking the texture of spring rolls. Flavorwise, it has to be made with really fresh ingredients for it to be good.
As a sidenote, theres a place in Socal called Top Baguette which has these egg rolls which are loving amazing https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/top...ink&utm_source=(direct)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Canadian bacon is just a non fatty kind of ham. You need to have a thick cut of bacon that isn't %50 fat.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I got a jar of sour pickles the other day and goddamn that poo poo is good. I respect the people that don’t like pickles but there can never be a true understanding between us

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

teen witch posted:

I feel so shameful that I love drat near anything pickled except pickles themselves. Somehow it sets off a weird “THIS FOOD IS POIIIISOOOOOONNNN” alarm

Like I’ve gotten over mushrooms but pickles? Nuh uh

I thought witches were meant to like pickles

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

christmas boots posted:

I got a jar of sour pickles the other day and goddamn that poo poo is good. I respect the people that don’t like pickles but there can never be a true understanding between us

It can be sad that we'll never truly see eye to eye but peace is possible between our kinds.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Pickles are very good, but gently caress sweet pickles

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
sweetness is an extremely important part of the flavour of pickles. it should be an undertone that can barely be tasted at all (unless you're making pickled sweet peppers, but then the sweet flavor has nothing to do with added sugars)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought witches were meant to like pickles

I’m of the sauerkraut coven.

Ziv Zulander posted:

Pickles are very good, but gently caress sweet pickles

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

teen witch posted:

I love drat near anything pickled except pickles themselves.

Same here. I love pickled onions, peppers, giardiniera, pikliz etc. but I can't stand pickles.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Saalkin posted:

It can be sad that we'll never truly see eye to eye but peace is possible between our kinds.

I mean at least we'll never go to war over control of the pickle mines. So that's definitely a plus.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

The White Dragon posted:

sweetness is an extremely important part of the flavour of pickles. it should be an undertone that can barely be tasted at all (unless you're making pickled sweet peppers, but then the sweet flavor has nothing to do with added sugars)

You want a little bit of sugar in your pickles, but there’s nothing worse than expecting to bite into a nice tart dill and getting a sweet pickle instead

Don’t even get me started on bread and butter pickles, either

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I was always under the impression that pickles were for providing a bit of sweetness to an otherwise savory dish. Like on a hamburger, or with some cheese or meat.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Son of Rodney posted:

I was always under the impression that pickles were for providing a bit of sweetness to an otherwise savory dish. Like on a hamburger, or with some cheese or meat.

WRONG. Pickles are for providing a tart, astringent bite that cuts through the other savory flavors on the dish.

You ever try making a peanut butter and pickle sandwich using sweet pickles? It just don’t work

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
The bigger a pickle is the more salty/sour it ought to be

The smaller it is it should be either sweet or spicy.

See mini gherkins or relish.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I subscribe to that theory now and am going to search for elusive Nano pickle now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ArbitraryC posted:

I was also gonna say people tend to suffer from this problem where they get obsessed with regional food and because a big part of enjoying something is placebo and perception it becomes literally impossible for them to acknowledge something else is just as good or even god forbid better than whatever it is they’ve put on a pedestal. You could probably prank this Texas lady by spending an inordinate amount of money and flying a pro pit master out from Texas but letting her thing the food was a local inauthentic recipe and she’d hate it.

The only thing americans love more than regional food is regional rivalry.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
gherkins are nice in moderation with appropriate pairing.

pickled foods in general are for weirdos, we have refrigerators you know. pickled onions, what is wrong with you.

don't get me started on jams! (jelly for the English impaired)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Klyith posted:

The only thing americans love more than regional food is regional rivalry.

spoken like a real anti-skub