Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

FreudianSlippers posted:

A game that's hyper realistic Unreal Engine 6 type poo poo except the monsters are low-poly sprites.

Modern day graphics for the house haunted by the guys from the Money For Nothing music video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There's a game called Worse Than Death that I've not heard anything about, but just saw a trailer of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqt8IZo7WR0

Anyone have thoughts on it? It doesn't seem particularly long (there's a no-commentary longplay that's just about 2 hours) but looks like it could be a decent experience.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
I do think horror games are pretty well suited to the "Courage the Cowardly Dog" effect of mixing discordant art styles to create unease, as described. I imagine a 2.5D doomlike or something that just so happens to have the monster as a fully rendered 3D object could be pretty effective. Art direction in general could really play up that sort of thing.

Bert of the Forest fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 19, 2020

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Morpheus posted:

There's a game called Worse Than Death that I've not heard anything about, but just saw a trailer of:

Anyone have thoughts on it? It doesn't seem particularly long (there's a no-commentary longplay that's just about 2 hours) but looks like it could be a decent experience.
I'd be worried that it's from the same guy who made Home and that game just seemed to end on a wet fart after an hour.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Dreadwroth2 posted:

The thing in Observer is probably the closest to what encountering a truly alien intelligence night be like, that game is super great but also not horror.
More like a really superb Outer Limits/Twilight Zone.
What even is that thing that can kill you in Observer? You only ever see it in people's memories (and the last level, but by that point what's real and what's hallucination gets blurry)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hel posted:

Hanging non to the monsters as glitches thing, is there any game that makes monsters or things seem off by having them animate at different frame rates than the rest of the game? Would that even work without gamers complain about it being buggy?

The ghost of Richard in SH4 has this kind of thing going on; he's animated really strangely, at seemingly random speeds and occasionally even in reverse, and he just sort of zips and flits around even to the point of vanishing out of existence sometimes. It's really odd and unsettling because nothing else behaves like him at all.

e: the gallery at the bottom of this page has some good gifs

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Can someone tell me if there are any jumpscares in Painscreek Killings? I think it might be a fun game to play with some friends of mine, but they can't really do games with jumpscares or intense chase sequences. I just saw the figure in the woods (Sofia?) that appears right after you leave the burned house with the pentagram thing in the bedroom, if it's generally about that level of "scary" I think they'd be fine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Can someone tell me if there are any jumpscares in Painscreek Killings? I think it might be a fun game to play with some friends of mine, but they can't really do games with jumpscares or intense chase sequences. I just saw the figure in the woods (Sofia?) that appears right after you leave the burned house with the pentagram thing in the bedroom, if it's generally about that level of "scary" I think they'd be fine.

Not really. There's some scripted stuff that happens but I don't remember any jump scares.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

SardonicTyrant posted:

What even is that thing that can kill you in Observer? You only ever see it in people's memories (and the last level, but by that point what's real and what's hallucination gets blurry)

Oh god I just realized I was actually talking about Observation!
The thing in Observer is a spoiler for sure, but it makes sense really.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Decided to finally plow through Lost In Vivo. It's really tense.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

The end sequence is startling but not too intense, the rest of the game there’s nothing but ambient sounds.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Morpheus posted:

I decided to snag it. It's a fairly light puzzle game, did it in about two hours. Story was okay (relies a fair bit on inspecting the environment), it didn't resort to the "and then YOU were the MONSTER all along" plot twist. I thought I got $5/hour worth of entertainment out of it but it's not a must-buy and you could reasonably wait for a sale to check it out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So you would say that it's better than death, then?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

The end sequence is startling but not too intense, the rest of the game there’s nothing but ambient sounds.

There’s one jump scare that’s just power going out at one point.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Anyone here play House on the Hill? That game is a real trip. It really does the bait and switch into total weirdness well.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Vampire Bloodlines 2 looks to be a walking corpse, and not the cool or sexy kind. Paradox fired the creative directors today out of the blue and replaced them with a Ubisoft guy. They'd just delayed the game to 2021 but given where it was apparently at, it doesn't make a ton of sense to fire the creative leads unless a full ground-up rework is in the cards. Really, firing any director-level people in the middle of a project is a death knell in any kind of business.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
:( I wasn’t expecting it to come close to the original but was hoping for an averageish sequel.

Not looking forward to assassin’s creed: vampire.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My guess is because of COVID the project kept missing deadlines despite a really big marketing push last year gearing up for a release in the forever cursed date of March 2020 so they pulled a Disney and brought in a guy known for finishing poo poo.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Dang VtM video games must be cursed or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Vampire Bloodlines 2 looks to be a walking corpse, and not the cool or sexy kind. Paradox fired the creative directors today out of the blue and replaced them with a Ubisoft guy. They'd just delayed the game to 2021 but given where it was apparently at, it doesn't make a ton of sense to fire the creative leads unless a full ground-up rework is in the cards. Really, firing any director-level people in the middle of a project is a death knell in any kind of business.

tbh it wasn’t looking that great anyway

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone know about The Church in the Darkness? It's $5 for Switch and sounds like an interesting time

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
This might be a weird tangent for this thread, but out of curiosity, do folks here have recommendations for good "spooky, but not scary" games? Like family-friendly "horror" games that I could play to celebrate spooky-season with my scaredy cat family members? Luigi's Mansion is like PERFECT for this specific thing, but I'm curious how many more games are out there up that alley.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zombies Ate My Neighbours

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Haunted House on Steam?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Illbleed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This is mean

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Spooky's House of Jumpscares, maybe? It's very cartoony and does have some tense moments, but in a way that also makes fun of itself. Might not be great for playing with family for gameplay reasons, though.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Bert of the Forest posted:

This might be a weird tangent for this thread, but out of curiosity, do folks here have recommendations for good "spooky, but not scary" games? Like family-friendly "horror" games that I could play to celebrate spooky-season with my scaredy cat family members? Luigi's Mansion is like PERFECT for this specific thing, but I'm curious how many more games are out there up that alley.
Death Road To Canada

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Kentucky Route Zero but I don't think that's what you're looking for. Dead Rising?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dead Rising is a good suggestion. It's a schlocky zombie movie, heavy on the humor.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

WAIT WAIT WAIT I got it

The Darkside Detective

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Yess Darkside Detective is great.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Finally played SOMA, what a fantastic game. Now I can't wait for Amnesia Rebirth.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Isn't that what the FNAF series is all about? My 12 and 10-year old niece and nephew love those games and I don't think they've actually ever played one of them.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fran Bow/Little Misfortune, depending on how much gore you can tolerate. Little Misfortune is more family friendly but has a few swears and drug references.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Isn't that what the FNAF series is all about? My 12 and 10-year old niece and nephew love those games and I don't think they've actually ever played one of them.

FNAF is all about the jumpscares though. There's no gore in them but they're definitely straight up horror games about getting murdered by killer animatronics.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It depends a bit on which game you're playing. The first one is more of a spooky time management game with jumpscares. Others go a bit more into conventional horror.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

There's a chapter that sticks out in "A hat in time" like this.
Seems like there are lots of movies like this but not that many games,

The suggestions here are either scary but not spooky or just gory and not family friendly, Luigi's mansion games are the only ones I can think of.

No

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I enjoyed Ghostmaster a long time ago, not sure how it holds up today though.

https://www.gog.com/game/ghost_master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ghostmaster is fun, but I don't think it would be fun to play with multiple people like that. It's an often very slow strategy game. Still really good, though, I replayed it a bit only a few months ago.

Oh, how about the Ghostbusters game? It was pretty well-received and Ghostbusters is the epitome of "spooky but not scary" Halloween movies.