Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Darko posted:

He would have come up with some dumb excuse to kill her anyway because Stu was mad she dumped him, and it was a killing purely of revenge with bullshit added on to make it look like there was no real motive.

Wait. But Stu dated Tatum and Casey's boyfriend was a football player. When was their break-up???

I always thought that Stu letting Billy kill Tatum was one of the most hosed up parts of Scream. Like, Stu's a psycho, but Tatum's very attractive and cool and puts up with his bullshit; there's not sexual angst and familial disputes like Billy holds against Sydney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Stu feels like the "truer psycho" to me. Like Billy has motive. Stu's just having fun.

I wish they had made that movie where Stu is the main character of The Following and is in prison with a whole cult of groupies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Stu feels like the "truer psycho" to me. Like Billy has motivation. Stu's just having fun.

I wish they had made that movie where Stu is the main character of The Following and is in prison with a whole cult of groupies.

Well, I mean, that's been an idea hinted at / posited for Scream 5 or whatever they're doing, with Lillard saying he'd like to return.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Well, I mean, that's been an idea hinted at / posited for Scream 5 or whatever they're doing, with Lillard saying he'd like to return.

I would be so drat down for that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not super into another Scream but if they do that and really break the formula I'm totally down. I loved that idea when I read it was the original idea for that bad tv show. Makes me want to give the show another look.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm not super into another Scream but if they do that and really break the formula I'm totally down. I loved that idea when I read it was the original idea for that bad tv show. Makes me want to give the show another look.

Was that the one where Kevin Bacon hunts members of James Purefoy's killer fanclub? That was terrible, though I only made it three episodes in so who knows it got better. But by that point it already felt like everybody except Kevin Bacon was a member of The Following, and I wouldn't have been surprised if Bacon turned out to be a member but he's brainwashed to forget after every meeting. The show was also really bad about people disregarding the opinion of the expert/master detective over and over again.

What are some examples for competent experts/helpful law enforcement in horror movies? I just remembered Color Out of Space and how the sheriff was completely on board with Ward right from when things got weird. Not that he did any good, but at least he wasn't a dumbass.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's the show. It was created by Kevin Williamson and supposedly it was originally a first draft script for a Scream sequel with Stu in Purefoy's role.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that's the show. It was created by Kevin Williamson and supposedly it was originally a first draft script for a Scream sequel with Stu in Purefoy's role.

That idea sounds infinitely more interesting than the lame-rear end Lecter Lite they had, as much as I like Purefoy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it probably would have been proto-Hannibal anyway but (a) it would have been Matthew Lilliard which is a totally different vibe and (b) it it would have been a film so not like episode after episode of stringing stuff out and adding twists.

There's a film with Sigourney Weaver and Holly Hunter that is the same loose idea too with Harry Connick Jr as the serial killer with groupies. Copycat. Its ok.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I ended up watching the first two Killjoy movies last night and I was really disappointed by the actor playing Killjoy being switched out. The actor from the first movie seemed to be having way more fun.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

My Twitter Account posted:

What you're neglecting is that it never has to get to this point, because all they have to do is leave. They're not immediately attacked, they're given ample opportunity to say "OK, we don't belong here." But they don't, because they don't believe that.

That isn't true, their car is stolen for a "joyride" (check another middle class Tory fear from the checklist!) before it gets to the point where it's serious enough to consider leaving. In fact the joyride even interrupts the idyllic white middle class marriage proposal because Britain can't have nice things while the working class youth are allowed to run wild.

An alternative reading of Eden Lake where King Kong is actually the good guy doesn't work because it's an overtly classist story in the most loathsome way. At least King Kong slaps.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Plus, they take their villians to an extra layer of indefensible with the necklace scene. That moment really puts the nail into the coffin of any sympathetic reading of the teens.

As for Stu, is he ever explicitly stated as dead in the first Scream or its sequels, I know the TV falls onto his head and the visual coding of it is that he's dead. But if Scream 5 just went "he's been in prison this whole time", would that work?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think most of us would buy into it if it was an interesting enough premise/movie. Its plausible. Like you could nitpick why they never talked about it or why Gale didn't write a book about him or something. But it doesn't take anything supernatural or premise breaking to get there.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Wait. But Stu dated Tatum and Casey's boyfriend was a football player. When was their break-up???

I always thought that Stu letting Billy kill Tatum was one of the most hosed up parts of Scream. Like, Stu's a psycho, but Tatum's very attractive and cool and puts up with his bullshit; there's not sexual angst and familial disputes like Billy holds against Sydney.

Jamie Kennedy says he got dumped by Casey and probably killed her due to that, and Stu does a quick "no I dumped her!" thing. Its one of the earliest killer identity clues, thrown out there immediately, and sneakily moves really quickly to more obvious red herrings so you forget. Especially since he's coded as someone that will eventually get killed. It goes into the "the 1st serial killing is personal" theory, too. Theres a lot of sneaky little stuff like that in the first one.

Him letting Tatum get killed solidifies it too, in that he doesn't care about her and she was probably just a rebound. The first two killings were the most personal and vicious too. Edit again, 3 killings, counting Sydneys mom.

I think Kennedy points out literal both of them as soon as they are introduced, for that matter.

Edit: made a bunch of phone posting edits

Darko fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 19, 2020

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This is the most hilariously obvious scene in retrospect, too, but you didn't quite know there to just listen to everything Randy said because he was the screenwriter voice at the time: https://youtu.be/9SYTdjG0BO4

(Both killers in the horror section, both trying to or having killed girlfriends)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Halloween Jack posted:

Pandemonium seems like the time-traveling sequel to Detention (2011).

The one about strippers fighting an animal-masked serial killer or the 80s one about Canadian mounties bravely defending cheerleader camp?

I assume not the Vince McMahon biopic or the one about British poets.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Scream is an amazing film to go back and rewatch for all the clues and wink wink moments. Stu in particular is a great "obnoxious teen" to "oh, that guy's a psycho" thing.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'll still go to bat that Scream as a series doesn't have an outright awful entry like most other slasher films. Scream 3 ain't great but it never hits the same lows as F13, Halloween, or Nightmare on Elm Street.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Grendels Dad posted:

What are some examples for competent experts/helpful law enforcement in horror movies?

Carradine in Q immediately comes to mind.

I feel like it was a bigger thing in b&w monster movies, when authority figures were more exalted.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Eden Lake is literally just "The poors are evil psychopaths and if you get near them they'll brutally kill you" and it's not subtle about it. At all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Scream is great, and I remember having such fun watching it the first time, trying to work out who the killer was.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

What are some examples for competent experts/helpful law enforcement in horror movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Ii7AwnYbU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Jaws, but only the second half.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jason enforces the LAW OF THE LAKE

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Jason enforces the LAW OF THE LAKE

No heavy petting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It only leads to trouble and seat-wetting.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Crystal Lake Rules-

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
TheOmegaWalrus, this is your one reminder that you are posting in this thread under very specific restrictions, which you can read in this post.

I recommend you bookmark it and refer to it every single time you go to post here, and in CineD in general.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can that be the same for all gimmicks? The whole poser thing always seemed way too aggressive for this thread and soured the mood here a bit for me.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Not related to slasher talk: the other night I took a chance on Turkey Shoot, on Shudder, and it was pretty drat awesome. or Oz-some, since it's very much an Ozploitation version of The Most Dangerous Game/Running Man/Hunger Games/What-have-you. On the surface, yes, the formula is pretty played out, but there were solid performances from Steve Railsback (AKA the astronaut from Lifeforce) and Olivia Hussey (AKA Juliet from Zefirelli's R&J).

Other selling points:
- Score by Brian May! No, not the guitarist from Queen, the other Brian May, who composed the soundtrack to Mad Max and The Road Warrior!
- Speaking of Mad Max... Also stars Roger Ward, AKA Fifi (Max's commander)!
- Directed by Brian Trenchard-Smith, the director of Night of the Demons 2, Dead End Drive-In, and Leprechaun 3 and 4 (In Spaaaaaace!). Also, he immediately followed up Turkey Shoot with BMX Bandits. Go figure.

There's was a surprising amount of gore for a film from 1982, and there were also several moments that simply made me guffaw in a completely "WHAT!?" kind of way. There are so many things that come across as ridiculous, I can't figure out if they were budgetary or artistic decisions. Either way, it's worth checking out. At the very least, it's not boring and at only 80 minutes, it's pretty efficient.

Also, skip the trailer if you're interested because that thing is spoilers galore.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Can that be the same for all gimmicks? The whole poser thing always seemed way too aggressive for this thread and soured the mood here a bit for me.

no

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What's a good non poser movie I can watch tonight friends

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

What's a good non poser movie I can watch tonight friends

i just watched Headless it was pretty good

also OG Willard

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

i just watched Headless

Did you ever watch Found, the movie it's a spinoff of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9y5bSe1u3g

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Did you ever watch Found, the movie it's a spinoff of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9y5bSe1u3g

Ooh no i gotta check this out thanks!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Which headless

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

i just watched Headless it was pretty good

also OG Willard

Dawg, you need to watch The Blob '88.

Did you finish Home Sick?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

ruddiger posted:

:agreed:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Maybe the poser thing is a bit harsh on first time posters but if you're been around the thread you should know it's just a joke. Calling people posers for having the wrong horror opinion is something a 14 year old does, hence the joke(Kvlt! is no longer 14).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I find it kind of obnoxious and I sometimes don't post something because like, I just don't feel like dealing with the noise. But whatever. We can all stand to second guess our posts and at least its not creepy most of the time.