Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

MorningMoon posted:

https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/1295786294044495872

I wonder what their plan is for Frankie. He's been staring at Cowboy Bebop's matches alone lately, and Cody singling him out on the eight-man tag is odd. Wonder if they're gearing for a mega-swerve where SCU gets the belts back from Cowboy Bebop.

Anyway, SEGA and AEW should only mean an Elite Yakuza game. You're Hangman at first walking through Jacksonville, but you eventually get to control the Young Bucks and Kenny. Needless to say, the citizens of this florida city all have zany sidequests, as well as the other wrestlers in the roster.

Hell of a way to start the AEW/NJPW partnership but I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

I wonder what their plan is for Frankie. He's been staring at Cowboy Bebop's matches alone lately, and Cody singling him out on the eight-man tag is odd. Wonder if they're gearing for a mega-swerve where SCU gets the belts back from Cowboy Bebop.

Anyway, SEGA and AEW should only mean an Elite Yakuza game. You're Hangman at first walking through Jacksonville, but you eventually get to control the Young Bucks and Kenny. Needless to say, the citizens of this florida city all have zany sidequests, as well as the other wrestlers in the roster.

Help! I was having dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse and somebody stole my AEW World Title!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Can't wait for the Lance Archer 2 jobber squash. Also nice to see Absolute Ricky Starks in action.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Glad Hobbs has impressed brass as much as he has us

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
With all of the talent they have, why is Billygunn still getting airtime?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MorningMoon posted:

Kenny as the Majima, instantly flying into a homicidal range every time Colt is mentioned.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

BDawg posted:

With all of the talent they have, why is Billygunn still getting airtime?
He's a player-coach that was actually successful to some degree helping guys out on Dark. It isn't like he's having matches against Cody or anything

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Maybe this will disrupt the flow of the conversation here, but I have to say that Dynamite does seem to be limiting in terms of time - we keep having people like Cage and Archer come in big, they both lost their first big match, and have essentially disappeared. So many storylines and too little time. Archer just beating the gently caress out of jobbers for weeks on end is killing his momentum imo, he hasn't had a match on Dynamite since he lost to Cody, right?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

fawning deference posted:

Maybe this will disrupt the flow of the conversation here, but I have to say that Dynamite does seem to be limiting in terms of time - we keep having people like Cage and Archer come in big, they both lost their first big match, and have essentially disappeared. So many storylines and too little time. Archer just beating the gently caress out of jobbers for weeks on end is killing his momentum imo, he hasn't had a match on Dynamite since he lost to Cody, right?

He fought Janela at Fyter Fest.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

What happened to Archer is exactly what people rightfully criticize WWE for doing and it sucks, the dude should have beat Cody’s rear end. Cody isn’t
talented enough to be Cena, he should be tagging with his brother or something, or be a midcard boss heel.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Whatever you think about Cody's talent, dude was maybe the second most over on the roster before the pandemic.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I didn't like Cody's win, but I've mostly liked Cody's reign. When he hasn't gotten too self-indulgent, he's told some good stories and given some younger less featured guys some good shine. Scorpio match was disappointing though. It was getting real good and it just ended.

I loving hate what they've done with Archer since DoN. Such a loving waste.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

What happened to Archer is exactly what people rightfully criticize WWE for doing and it sucks, the dude should have beat Cody’s rear end.

Yup.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Pylons posted:

Whatever you think about Cody's talent, dude was maybe the second most over on the roster before the pandemic.

He was really over for sure, but Downstait and the tattoo was maybe the most i’d seen a hot crowd turn to silence for a feud that was blistering, just a super weird reaction to
Cody vs. MJF which was booked perfectly up to the match and even the match was fine.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cody is good and was super over and that whole story was written for him to win. It would have been really gross for Archer and Jake to not get comeuppance for the Brandi stuff in particular. And his reign has been good and when someone wins it will have impact. Even if I think it should have been Scorpio and am less intrigued by Brodie.

The mistake was that they never should have let the Cody feud get that ugly so Archer could win or they should have had a clear plan for Archer after the loss. They're definitely having problems balancing all their guys.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The crowd didn't get what Cody wanted the match to be, Cody wanted it to come across like a victory lap because "obviously Cody is going to beat MJF" instead Downstait was trash and Cody's neck tattoo seemed loving weird as hell.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Good-rear end promo from Ricky Starks. Put that on Dynamite!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cody is good and I hope he continues to have the title, both because it's good for the company financially and because I like the open challenge matches.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still have a hard time processing that people TRULY changed their opinion on a wrestler because he got a (very) bad tattoo. Like, I just can't process that. And like I had forgotten what a Downsaite is. That feels like 5 years ago.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

NienNunb posted:

Cody is good and I hope he continues to have the title, both because it's good for the company financially and because I like the open challenge matches.

I think if Cody remains a face, him working his way through the dark order to regain the TNT belt
is a good place for him with great potential for match quality too.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

NienNunb posted:

i'm fine with him dropping it to brodie but it's been a good run and i'm fine if it continues too

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

STAC Goat posted:

I still have a hard time processing that people TRULY changed their opinion on a wrestler because he got a (very) bad tattoo. Like, I just can't process that. And like I had forgotten what a Downsaite is. That feels like 5 years ago.

I cringed at it for a couple days and then stopped thinking about it, because like, whoooooo the gently caress could possibly care?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Brodie just feels like the wrong guy. You want a big upset even if Cody doesn't turn heel and Brodie comes in too strong. I won't be mad if he wins it or anything but it feels like a waste of the run to me.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I’d be fine with Cody taking a break for a bit once he finally drops the TNT Title.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1295866738853187586?s=19

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

brodie rhodes

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Brodie just feels like the wrong guy. You want a big upset even if Cody doesn't turn heel and Brodie comes in too strong. I won't be mad if he wins it or anything but it feels like a waste of the run to me.

Brodie could be a big challenge to set up the short-rest title defense, like Cody is loving murdered by Mr. Brodie but gets him in some pinning hold and bam, heel/young guy shooting his shot comes out to challenge Cody next week (with only until Wednesday [late show] or Thursday to prepare).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
rip the Initiative. :(

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Eat My Fuc posted:

He was really over for sure, but Downstait and the tattoo was maybe the most i’d seen a hot crowd turn to silence for a feud that was blistering, just a super weird reaction to
Cody vs. MJF which was booked perfectly up to the match and even the match was fine.

A thing that always sticks out to me about those entrances is how MJF came out for that match with the shittiest spray tan, and then there was 5 minutes so jarring that once the camera finally came back to MJF I had already forgotten about the lovely spray tan.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The tattoo owns because it plays into Cody's lowkey Don Jr/Jerry Falwell Jr Failson character.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

karmicknight posted:

Brodie could be a big challenge to set up the short-rest title defense, like Cody is loving murdered by Mr. Brodie but gets him in some pinning hold and bam, heel/young guy shooting his shot comes out to challenge Cody next week (with only until Wednesday [late show] or Thursday to prepare).

Cult Cabana, who then goes on to have a series of wins retentions being unknowingly helped by the Dark Order goons.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

NienNunb posted:

The tattoo owns because it plays into Cody's lowkey Don Jr/Jerry Falwell Jr Failson character.

oh my god

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

blunt posted:

Cult Cabana, who then goes on to have a series of wins retentions being "unknowingly" helped by the Dark Order goons.

Yeah, that is how i would draw it up, too.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Its really weird when you're trying to catch up on this thread then you hit like four or five pages of people live posting about something in the middle of the general discussion thread then it goes back to general AEW discussion

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

STAC Goat posted:

So from where I was at Revolution, Downstait would have been relatively easy to shrug off as Cody indulgence but for two things: 1) it's a terrible song by a dogshit band and 2) Jericho came out an hour later and did the bit 100% better. The neck tattoo was incredibly distracting because we couldn't get a clean shot of it on the Jumbotron so it became a drawn-out process of trying to figure out what the gently caress he did and if it was permanent. Also the gently caress finish to the match did not read in the arena so it looked like it just sort of stopped.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a wrestler's look is a part of a wrestler's vibe. at least 25% and up to 75% of their vibe. a wrestler's vibe is 50 to 90 percent of what makes them cool to anyone. do the math

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Orange Carlisle posted:

Its really weird when you're trying to catch up on this thread then you hit like four or five pages of people live posting about something in the middle of the general discussion thread then it goes back to general AEW discussion

it's extra weird since there's already a Dark GDT thread

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

rantmo posted:

So from where I was at Revolution, Downstait would have been relatively easy to shrug off as Cody indulgence but for two things: 1) it's a terrible song by a dogshit band and 2) Jericho came out an hour later and did the bit 100% better. The neck tattoo was incredibly distracting because we couldn't get a clean shot of it on the Jumbotron so it became a drawn-out process of trying to figure out what the gently caress he did and if it was permanent. Also the gently caress finish to the match did not read in the arena so it looked like it just sort of stopped.

I mean, I can understand being down on that match. I think reacting badly to the entrance or tattoo is odd but people mark out to Undertaker solely on his entrance and look so what do I know? And like it is part of the package and the match was flawed enough not to compensate for it.

I fundamentally get why people are down on Cody. The MJF feud ended kind of badly, people got invested in Archer beating him, and then people get little investments in the individual open challenges. I can see how we got to this place where Cody is verging on getting "always bad"'ed.

But the entrance seems like a lifetime ago and the tat seems so silly. Maybe everyone's not experiencing quarantine time the way I am?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I still like Cody but the neck tattoo was sort of the moment for me where the shine came off and it just never really came back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I didn’t think highly of him before, I still don’t

And the tattoo still sucks