Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brawnfire posted:

There's probably talented folk here who could render even your worst attempt at a thumbnail sketch into something awesome. I'd be willing to try, myself, though I'm not claiming to be amazing by any means, just that I'd give it a shot.

Maybe I will give it a shot. Art seems like magic to me, like when I watch Drawfee stuff Its just perplexing how such simple looking lines can come together to form an amazing image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I like how it is really hard to tell who ripped off whom when it comes to starship design. I feel like any sci-fi starship ‘created’ in the last 30 years has been ripped off, sometimes wholesale, from someone else and the problem is that it happens so often that you can’t really determine who ‘did it first’ except in about a few dozen examples.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

dialhforhero posted:

I like how it is really hard to tell who ripped off whom when it comes to starship design. I feel like any sci-fi starship ‘created’ in the last 30 years has been ripped off, sometimes wholesale, from someone else and the problem is that it happens so often that you can’t really determine who ‘did it first’ except in about a few dozen examples.

Everything is a remix, and the difference between a professional artist and an amature is the ability to hide your sources.

This goes for all creative works not just spaceship drawings.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Also the fact that you could probably just claim it was an obvious ‘homage’ or something.

Also can you copyright the design even? I mean, how liberal are the laws on artistic expression and spaceship design?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Davethulhu posted:

The best Trek ship is the Klingon D7

That manta shape. Those inward turned nacelles.

For star wars, I liked the hammerhead corvette

The Old Republic era had a whole design lineage of hammerhead ships, it was pretty great.

Hammerhead-class cruiser

Praetorian-class frigate

Thranta-class corvette

Defender-class light corvette (player ship for Jedi classes in SWTOR)

Space sharks as far as the eye can see.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McSpanky posted:

The Old Republic era had a whole design lineage of hammerhead ships, it was pretty great.

Hammerhead-class cruiser

Praetorian-class frigate

Thranta-class corvette

Defender-class light corvette (player ship for Jedi classes in SWTOR)

Space sharks as far as the eye can see.

Notably, according to one of the head artists for the Old Republic games, these were intended to be part of the design lineage leading to the Corellian Corvette of A New Hope. The games established that these ships were built by the same megacorp that would later build the Corvette.

All of the SWTOR player ships were consciously designed to evoke one of the ships from the movies - the Corellian Corvette for the Jedi, the TIEs for the Sith, Slave-1 for the Bounty Hunter, the B-Wing for the Trooper, and of course the Falcon for the Smuggler.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

11 pages and not a single mention of the Excelsior, the pinnacle of 1980's movie-era Star Trek design and in-canon arguably the most effective starship ever produced. Shameful.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
It got a fat belly

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Cythereal posted:

the B-Wing for the Trooper

The kitbashed B-Wing look was also used for one of the ships in Episode 9, based on an unused design for Enfys Nest's ship in Solo.

BT-7 Thunderclap

Razor Assault Ship

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really need to go back to TOR before they shut it down and get a ship.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

twistedmentat posted:

I really need to go back to TOR before they shut it down and get a ship.

Nothing to worry about, according to the TOR devs the game has a very steady fanbase and turns a small but constant profit. It's not a WoW killer, but it's found its own niche.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, they just launched on steam about a month ago which apparently gave it a nice bump in players.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh great, I want to go back to my Chiss Bounty Hunter.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Bootcha posted:

Lest we forget the one time Valve Software almost made a space game.

Wait seriously?! What was it called?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Linux Pirate posted:

Wait seriously?! What was it called?

Stars of Barathrum and/or Stars of Blood

One of Valve's annual ten aborted games

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
The Moldy Crow owns (even if noone can agree on the size or interior)

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 15, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Drone posted:

11 pages and not a single mention of the Excelsior, the pinnacle of 1980's movie-era Star Trek design and in-canon arguably the most effective starship ever produced. Shameful.

Good avatar.

But yeah the Excelsior and refit Constitution are the best Federation ships.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

The Moldy Crow owns (even if noone can agree on the size or interior)

Initially it was going to be a Baudo Star Yacht from the West End Games RPG.

The Crow is much better.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bootcha posted:

Most of these aren't bad but the bottom left one looks like two ships jammed together nose to nose.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Most of these aren't bad but the bottom left one looks like two ships jammed together nose to nose.

Bootcha posted:

Bottom right is just carrying a tank, wtf?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Don't have a lot of info on this ship. Came from my disorganized Sci-Fi pics folder. Pretty sure it's Star Wars.

Anyway, looks cool.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Linux Pirate posted:

Don't have a lot of info on this ship. Came from my disorganized Sci-Fi pics folder. Pretty sure it's Star Wars.

Anyway, looks cool.

It's this: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Wayfarer-class_medium_transport

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Linux Pirate posted:

Anyway, looks cool.

That reminds me of this instragram account
https://www.instagram.com/spacegooose/

They make space ships out of ordinary objects.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me of this instragram account
https://www.instagram.com/spacegooose/

Thanks. I've known about them from seeing it around, but didn't know the artists name.

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 24, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

How else would you make them?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I liked the shape of this one

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mind the walrus posted:

How else would you make them?

In class did you ever pretend an eraser with a paperclip stuck in it was a spaceship? Its that.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

In class did you ever pretend an eraser with a paperclip stuck in it was a spaceship? Its that.

And honestly reimagining everyday objects as spaceships etc is a pretty good way to get a decent design.

Like a lazy example is some of the pod racers in ep.1 were just boeing 737 jet engines with extra poo poo thrown on.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

The twist-off cap of a Squeezit bottle

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

The twist-off cap of a Squeezit bottle

That's a good shape for a ship. For me it was bic mechanical pencils as long frigates/ battleship Yamoto style with the clip being the bridge. I always put paper towel roll packs on my shoulders pretending they were madcat/timberwolf missile pods when I was a young'n. Coax cable splitters were like short blockade runners. poo poo like that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Linux Pirate posted:

That's a good shape for a ship. For me it was bic mechanical pencils as long frigates/ battleship Yamoto style with the clip being the bridge. I always put paper towel roll packs on my shoulders pretending they were madcat/timberwolf missile pods when I was a young'n. Coax cable splitters were like short blockade runners. poo poo like that.

Definitely did the long pen ships with clip as elevated bridge. They do the long, slow rumble as they hove into the atmosphere, and fire off searing beams of directed energy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
When I was a kid, I used the guns of Star Wars figures as tiny spaceships.

The big rifles were the battleships.

My prized "smuggler ship" was a stormtrooper gun which, for some reason, was a translucent green. Hooray for poor 70s quality control, because it was badass as all hell.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Megillah Gorilla posted:

When I was a kid, I used the guns of Star Wars figures as tiny spaceships.

That’s more or less how the Sulaco in Aliens was designed. It’s pretty much a flying pulse rifle.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My prized "smuggler ship" was a stormtrooper gun which, for some reason, was a translucent green. Hooray for poor 70s quality control, because it was badass as all hell.
I bet if you saved that there's some 50-something tech dude in Texas or California who'd write you a blank check for it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

And of course there's a website that's catalogued every known variant of the kenner stormtrooper rifle, including translucent green.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Well, thank god for that!

edit: I guess if you're really into collecting vintage it could come in handy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Two things:

(1) the person who compiled that list is insane.

(2) Imperial Blaster Original V4 was definitely the one I had

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
GI Joe Missiles and rockets made good space ships too.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I just used micro machines. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Can I post some ships from my own franchise in here?