Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sindai posted:

It's small.

I love the tiny panel jokes like Frieran trying to pull Fern off that tree or trying to carry her own body mass in treasure. They remind me of how Delicious in Dungeon is jam packed with jokes.

I kind of expect that this manga is going to end with Frieran outliving everyone in this party as well, and then a montage page of all the other parties she outlives in the future, and then we all cry a lot.

I think it'll end a long ways into the future with her dying in bed and her spirit going to be with everyone else she's met along the way in the land of the dead, fully appreciative of the time she's had with others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Where does this weird trend of misspelling her name as Frieran even come from

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

HenryEx posted:

Where does this weird trend of misspelling her name as Frieran even come from

The thread title and the OP maybe?
Everyone in this manga is named after a German word which fits their character. It's really on the nose actually. The award tank is called Eisen, (Iron), the axe swinging warrior is called Strong the cold elf is called Frieren I.e. freezing.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 24, 2020

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new chapter

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Get rekt Frieren

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Chapter 13.

I'd been wondering if any other elves still existed. Hopefully this is Chekhov's Elf, and we'll run into some more soon.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Squidster posted:

Chapter 13.

I'd been wondering if any other elves still existed. Hopefully this is Chekhov's Elf, and we'll run into some more soon.

where are we headed
Heaven
sounds like fun

:allears:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve been wondering why she doesn’t just hang out with elves so I’m glad this chapter answered that question.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

rannum posted:

where are we headed
Heaven
sounds like fun

:allears:
Someone on reddit pointed out that the german word for Heaven is Himmel.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Today in Frieren we learn: Racism is Right.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:yikeseroo:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Yeah I thought you were joking but WEW

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Didn't see that one coming.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I was expecting a bit more nuance here, but if the monster manual says Demons are Chaotic Evil I'm not going to complain.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
:biotruths: chapter is not great

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think Frieren and the demons have more in common than she's comfortable acknowledging.

Frieren isn't particularly concerned that everyone in the city could be killed, thinking only that she can escape in the chaos. Even without her staff, I'm sure she's powerful enough to blast her way to freedom. Back when they fought the shapeshifting demon, she was perfectly content leaving it to prey on innocent travelers until Fern rebuked her.

To both Frieren and the demons ( as far as we've been shown ) short-lived lives simply don't matter. The only difference between them is that Frieren's biology doesn't require her to prey on sentients.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Squidster posted:

I think Frieren and the demons have more in common than she's comfortable acknowledging.

Frieren isn't particularly concerned that everyone in the city could be killed, thinking only that she can escape in the chaos. Even without her staff, I'm sure she's powerful enough to blast her way to freedom. Back when they fought the shapeshifting demon, she was perfectly content leaving it to prey on innocent travelers until Fern rebuked her.

To both Frieren and the demons ( as far as we've been shown ) short-lived lives simply don't matter. The only difference between them is that Frieren's biology doesn't require her to prey on sentients.

Based on this chapter I don't think demons need to eat humans. The little girl was living just fine in the human village. Her problem was that she didn't understand that people are upset if other people die. She killed the chief so she could replace the woman's daughter, thinking that then finally no one would be mad at her.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah it just feels like the demons and humans just don't fundamentally understand one another. I think there could very well be peace they could work towards. We'll see!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah it just feels like the demons and humans just don't fundamentally understand one another. I think there could very well be peace they could work towards. We'll see!

The demons seem to understand humans very well since their whole thing seems to be using mimicry to make humans let their guards down so they can be eaten/manipulated. It’s a species that’s nothing but high functioning psychopaths who want to eat you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm reminded of the hyena monster the leucrotta (or crocotta, from which I believe the hyena gets its scientific name) which can imitate human speech and does so strictly to lure humans and dogs alike where they can be attacked and eaten.

Basically the same idea, but they also can look humanoid too.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I don't think that the story is going to prove Frieran wrong on this one. This might very well not be the kind of conflict that can be solved by lengthy negotiations and cultural exchanges. The demon child is being juxtaposed against the adults. The child knew that people didn't like her so she tried to placate the village by replacing the child she killed. Not understanding that a person isn't replaceable as well as killing someone else is an more extreme lack of awareness than even Frieran has, but it highlights how demons are manipulative. Even the cry for a mother was to prolong her life, all she lacked was the experience and tact to get the villagers to warm up to her. Lord Lugner absolutely knows what he's doing and what his nature is though as well as this whole charade being enacted to subvert the town. There's a lot more care and effort in getting things to this point by abusing the whole concepts of diplomacy and civility.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Lügner means Liar, if it wasn't obvious.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nonono, just you wait and see.

Ol Shinjobi has a feeling that everything's gonna turn out juuuust fine.:corsair:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Lügner means Liar, if it wasn't obvious.

:aaaaa: You mean he and Baron Baby-eater aren't on the up and up?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

There's a lot more care and effort in getting things to this point by abusing the whole concepts of diplomacy and civility.

That could actually be an interesting concept, but tying it to biological characteristics of a race of sentient beings is frankly horrible and I really hope there'll be some sort of twist to it. As it stands, the demons apparently also use language to communicate with each other, and they have clothing and architecture and everything, so they're obviously not just going through the motions when humans are around; but in my opinion that just makes it worse, since it means they're for all intents and purposes a humanoid race which is inherently evil and manipulative. Not that that's a rare thing in fantasy stories, but this particular portrayal veers dangerously close to antisemitic concepts. That's probably not even intentional (it can easily be read as exploring another aspect of the dissonance between various sentient species with wildly different life cycles), but it might certainly end up carrying some dangerous implications.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Carpator Diei posted:

That could actually be an interesting concept, but tying it to biological characteristics of a race of sentient beings is frankly horrible and I really hope there'll be some sort of twist to it. As it stands, the demons apparently also use language to communicate with each other, and they have clothing and architecture and everything, so they're obviously not just going through the motions when humans are around; but in my opinion that just makes it worse, since it means they're for all intents and purposes a humanoid race which is inherently evil and manipulative. Not that that's a rare thing in fantasy stories, but this particular portrayal veers dangerously close to antisemitic concepts. That's probably not even intentional (it can easily be read as exploring another aspect of the dissonance between various sentient species with wildly different life cycles), but it might certainly end up carrying some dangerous implications.
I'm avoiding any of the usual stigmas attached to "this race is just naturally pre-disposed to being 'evil' " because there aren't any ties to the real world here. Like Squidster pointed out, the demons are just playing into a similar theme that Frieran herself embodies now we have a different reason than just lack of compatibility born just from longevity. A more cynical take on what we see of Demon culture would simply be that wearing clothes and having buildings doesn't make them more human. It just means that like any creature of sufficient intelligence that also doesn't have innate forms of protection like fur or chitin, they still have some same basic needs that people do. Using what humanity already made is just practical because it makes it easier to cozy up to their chosen prey. Same with having language although I'd be interested to see if Demon's use common speak among themselves.

I'd also want a bit more to be here but if demons are just very advanced mimics that isn't bad either.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Demons as depicted so far are basically just humanoid cats, change my mind

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the impression i get is more 'entirely different thought processes and values than humans' and not 'pure evil,' though it is still a strange turn for things to take. some of the 'heh, these people are so stupid, only i know better' *frieran is completely right* is very.. right-wing political cartoon. that said up to now it's been fairly thoughtful so im willing to give things a shot.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Counter-point: It's ok for loving demons to just be evil.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
surprise Peter Watts?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Turns out the demons are using some very new hyperregional slang where the word "enemy" means "friend".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mulva posted:

'this race of sentient beings is inherently evil' is both boring writing and also is super easy to slip into racism. for instance, hooknosed goblin bankers that control all the money in the world and are insanely greedy.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Mulva posted:

Textually, the demons aren't Literally Manifest Evil from Hell, they're just another race that exists in this land.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Ibblebibble posted:

Turns out the demons are using some very new hyperregional slang where the word "enemy" means "friend".

Chasing people around with the translator from Mars Attacks.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Textually, the demons aren't Literally Manifest Evil from Hell, they're just another race that exists in this land.

This land of magic and magical beings in which the central conceit is that Frieran was part of a group that went to kill the demon king because the demons were getting up to all the cliche murder poo poo they always do in fantasy stories, and in which literally every single demon we've met has been an absolutely monster. Walks like a duck and all that.....

I mean this is exact the dynamic that just came up in the story: "They look and sound like us and we can communicate, surely there must be a better way!" *demon absolutely brutalizes people, laughs about it, actively says every single thing it did was just the most crass form of manipulation* "Well, poo poo. Guess not?".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the story justifying it doesn't actually make it any better

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mulva posted:

This land of magic and magical beings in which the central conceit is that Frieran was part of a group that went to kill the demon king because the demons were getting up to all the cliche murder poo poo they always do in fantasy stories, and in which literally every single demon we've met has been an absolutely monster. Walks like a duck and all that.....

I mean this is exact the dynamic that just came up in the story: "They look and sound like us and we can communicate, surely there must be a better way!" *demon absolutely brutalizes people, laughs about it, actively says every single thing it did was just the most crass form of manipulation* "Well, poo poo. Guess not?".
yes. im saying thats really boring if every demon in the world is like that because there's no room for growth and im not especially interested in a story where a wizard goes around telling people to be more racist

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Frieran says they don't have families but they do, objectively, have some kind of social structure, cause ya know, Demon King and 7 Dukes or whatever. The sealed demon also mentions killing Frieran would be in the King's honor, demonstrating some degree of loyalty even to a dead ruler.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Mulva posted:

what actually happened: demon kills a single person with the goal of making the village not mad at her, expresses annoyance at their previous hostility, is like "oh looks like I hosed up, sucks, let's try to not die"

the only thing this proves is that she didn't value others' lives, but did value their opinions

you can certainly claim she only valued people's opinions because she wanted to blend in and eventually eat them or w/e, but the story has not actually proven this (though it does seem like it's gonna take that route, tbf)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

'this race of sentient beings is inherently evil' is both boring writing and also is super easy to slip into racism

Unless it's a metaphor for white people. Which this well could be.