Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Alhazred posted:

and the orcs are described as losing all willpower and is just wandering aimlessly around.

Very relatable orcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Mt. Doomers

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One of the best conversations in that Shadow of Mordor game a while ago is between a bunch of Orcs who are pretty sure Sauron's just a myth the orc generals made up and they could probably just leave any time they wanted to

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So despite the fact that his character actually survived the original trilogy Laurence Fishburne has stated that he wasn't even asked about appearing in Matrix 4.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

What if Keanu is Morpheus and will Smith is Neo

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Alhazred posted:

How could you even write a sequel to LotR? Sauron was specifically the last major force of evil in the world, every magical creature is leaving Middle-Earth or hiding so deep that they vanish from sight, Smaug was the last dragon and he was killed in the Hobbit, Shelob is slowly dying of a mortal wound, Gandalf is the only wizard left and he's on a boat to eternity and the orcs are described as losing all willpower and is just wandering aimlessly around. There just isn't that much to make a story of.

Tolkien actually started writing a sequel, but only got as far as a 13 page manuscript before deciding it wouldn't be worth doing.

It would have taken place about a hundred years after the end of Return of the King, at the end of Aragorn's sons' reign. With the Elves gone and the Dwarves deep underground, the world was ruled by humans, who had pretty much forgotten about the events of the series except as stories. Their society became restless and discontented, with at least one cult springing up to cause trouble.

The story itself seemingly centered around an old man being recruited to investigate one of these cults, since he was old enough to remember the smell of the old Evil, which could rise again in the hearts of men unless they were constantly vigilant against it (they weren't).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Was it a cargo cult

Cuz if they went around dressed like orca and had a big bad mechanical dragon thing that would own

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Alhazred posted:

I'm not saying it wouldn't be good or interesting, but a film that's basically fantasy holocaust would be a very hard sell.

This isn't too far-off from the plot of the Amazon series Carnival Row, which is about various species of fantasy creatures who are brutalized and mistreated by racists in a steampunk Victorian setting. It's more of an allegory for colonialism and immigration, but the faeries and such are confined to a ghetto and have no civil rights. "Fantasy holocaust" is not out of the question for its central metaphor.

Pirate Jet posted:

I seriously doubt Rowling’s antics are going to effectively impact the sales of the HP franchise, as unjust as that is. It’s probably more likely future films will be affected by how much of a disaster The Crimes of Grindelwald was.

Yes. As much as JK Rowling sucks, that franchise is larger than her now, up to and including literal theme parks. All the new HP media being inept trash is a way bigger problem for WB, I'm sure.

Honestly, the drop in JKR's reputation is perhaps the best thing to happen to WB. I'd guess that they can't wait to make new HP poo poo without requiring her blessing or involvement. Not that they care about trans people, but a diehard fanbase who'd actually celebrate her exclusion from future projects sounds like a dream for a media corporation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fartbox posted:

Just way smaller in scale, following a handful of characters through the world and getting into minor adventures

So, the Hobbit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson (among some others) coming out against JK kinda means if they want to go back to that well with Harry Potter, they're gonna have to recast the roles. And I don't think that'll go over well with the audience.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The upcoming Harry Potter game actually has "less JK involvement" as one of the marketing talk. Same with the Ren & Stimpy revival touting its "no John K" selling point.

A sequel to LOTR should obviously be Arcanum.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

“Was JRR Tolkien ever cancelled? Well fear not either way for our LotR sequel has no input from him whatsoever”

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Schwarzwald posted:

So, the Hobbit.

Killing the last Dragon and stealing the most famous gem in the world is not exactly a small adventure, but if they want to use and retcon baranor into the second age and his adventures with his merry band of mercenaries i'd be down for that.black company in the second age could be fun.
They'll probably do the fall of numenor and the forging of the rings of power in a much more condensed timeline.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Killing the last Dragon and stealing the most famous gem in the world is not exactly a small adventure,

I'd think an encounter with a dragon and treasure would be exactly the kind of capstone you'd expect from a small fantasy adventure, and even then the protagonists don't kill the dragon and the "theft" was just a contract dispute.

The retroactive significance to the events of LotR is considered surprising even within the story.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 19, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
For real though I'd love to see a faithful adaptation of Turin Turambar someday, if for no other reason than the fact that its basically Proto-Berserk of all things.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Rowling is harder to separate from Harry Potter than some other franchises mainly because the contracts that were signed still give her huge say on a lot of decisions. Places were so thirsty for Harry Potter licensing back in the day that she was able to retain a lot of control even as she got paid big bucks. It's one of the reasons the original movies supposedly had to feature only UK talent, because Rowling basically forced that stipulation on the studio. It's also why Disney didn't get Harry Potter theme park options if you believe Jenny Nicholson, since Disney literally couldn't picture any franchise being worth giving up the ability to simply roll over it's original creator.

EDIT: Also people like Tolkien are dead, so you're not suddenly going to have JRR pop up on Twitter posting, "Blue lives matter!" to 100m followers.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 19, 2020

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Apparently Rowling wanted to build the entire Hogwarts Express within Disneyland. Disney said no, but Universal Studios dumped a pile of money on her. Universal even managed to get Ralph Phines and Helena Bonham Carter to perform scenes for the Gringots ride, and that's after they had to convince Rowling to change the storyline of the ride to include Harry, Ron and Hermione (although they had to use existing footage since neither Daniel nor Emma wants to return).

Regarding another WB movie.
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1295766099313729536?s=19

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

muscles like this! posted:

So despite the fact that his character actually survived the original trilogy Laurence Fishburne has stated that he wasn't even asked about appearing in Matrix 4.

That's hosed up. Like, they got Edward James Olmos to be Gaff again for one scene in the new Blade Runner and even did it in a way that perfectly fit into the the story and didn't feel like it was fan service or whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Apparently Rowling wanted to build the entire Hogwarts Express within Disneyland. Disney said no, but Universal Studios dumped a pile of money on her. Universal even managed to get Ralph Phines and Helena Bonham Carter to perform scenes for the Gringots ride, and that's after they had to convince Rowling to change the storyline of the ride to include Harry, Ron and Hermione (although they had to use existing footage since neither Daniel nor Emma wants to return).

Regarding another WB movie.
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1295766099313729536?s=19

That reminds me of how the Batman ride at Six Flags samples Heath Ledger's voice from The Dark Knight but uses a poor soundalike for everyone else.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I'd think an encounter with a dragon and treasure would be exactly the kind of capstone you'd expect from a small fantasy adventure, and even then the protagonists don't kill the dragon and the "theft" was just a contract dispute.

The retroactive significance to the events of LotR is considered surprising even within the story.

Yeah I was gonna say, that would own the same way it did in the Mandalorian where we saw huge battles in the movies but in that show like a single TIE fighter, X-Wing, or AT-AT may as well be the end of all things as far as any of the folks involved are concerned.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
TIL that James Hong does not have a Hollywood Walk of Fame Star.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/daniel-dae-kim-james-hong-walk-of-fame-star-1234578962/

This is bullshit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

TIL that James Hong does not have a Hollywood Walk of Fame Star.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/daniel-dae-kim-james-hong-walk-of-fame-star-1234578962/

This is bullshit.

Isn't that just a thing you pay money for and buy? I'd not spend the money on it.

James Hong rules, by the way.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I am not sure exactly why Will Smith still has the Hollywood capital he had back in the 90's though, because he's, been in nothing but bombs for a while.

I know Aladdin was forgettable but it wasn't that long ago. Bad Boys 3 was earlier this year. Suicide Squad was 4 years ago. Everything else in the last 4 years was either low budget and eventually made its money (collateral beauty, concussion) or a moderate hit (focus) the only outright bomb was gemini man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RBA Starblade posted:

It'd just keep creeping more and more into Arthurian legend while doing that as well

One weird trick to get Hollywood to make a good King Arthur movie

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

What did the writer of Harry Potter do for everyone to hate her so?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fartbox posted:

Did the inevitable, became a dumbass on Twitter.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Specifically, by hating trans people.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Has there ever been an actual attempt at making movies out of the Dragonlance books?

It just seems odd that you have all these books and as far as I can tell all that has happened is someone made a really bad animated movie about 10 years ago.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Are they any good?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MrBling posted:

Has there ever been an actual attempt at making movies out of the Dragonlance books?

It just seems odd that you have all these books and as far as I can tell all that has happened is someone made a really bad animated movie about 10 years ago.

The books aren't good and since it's D&D the license is a tangled loving nightmare.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that the animated movie killed any interest in a live action adaptation.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Fartbox posted:

She suddenly inexplicably started posting anti-trans tweets. And then when some people (including the actors from the movies) tried to give her the benefit of the doubt and tried to correct her assuming she wasn't knowingly being a bigot she double-downed and start retweeting right wing edge-lords. It was really something to see.

Never use twitter folks. It rots your brain.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

8one6 posted:

...and since it's D&D the license is a tangled loving nightmare.

Dragonlance is pretty hosed even by D&D standards, and I'm pretty sure this is why even the novels stopped coming out a decade ago. The authors of the original stuff went their separate ways, the gamebooks were licensed out to the company one of them founded with her husband, then that license expired, then that company disbanded in a divorce, and currently I think all three major individuals involved in the above now work for distinct competing businesses.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
all of Dragonlance (and in fact all of D&D) is owned by Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro, so I don't know how tangled it can be.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Anonymous Zebra posted:

She suddenly inexplicably started posting anti-trans tweets. And then when some people (including the actors from the movies) tried to give her the benefit of the doubt and tried to correct her assuming she wasn't knowingly being a bigot she double-downed and start retweeting right wing edge-lords. It was really something to see.

Never use twitter folks. It rots your brain.

Inexplicably is maybe being a little too generous. She's been making public statements trending towards shittness for a couple years now, and the UK is very fertile soil for TERFs (do you have a favorite British comedy from 1990 to the mid-2000s? Definitely don't google the creator!)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tabletop RPGs just have a thing with ridiculous and arcane management fuckups. Unfortunately the most successful and inescapable ones usually have the biggest fuckups, while the actually well designed and fun ones tend to be ignored because they don't tickle the right nostalgia centres for broke-brained grognards.

Also, since D&D is pretty famously unoriginal in almost every aspect, usually only the people who take the license are bottom of the barrel in their own way. There's not really any iconic, original stories or characters to adapt. Hell, closest thing is probably the cartoon.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rochallor posted:

Inexplicably is maybe being a little too generous. She's been making public statements trending towards shittness for a couple years now, and the UK is very fertile soil for TERFs (do you have a favorite British comedy from 1990 to the mid-2000s? Definitely don't google the creator!)

She was part of the Better Together campaign that hosed Scotland

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
She also had an extremely normal one where she composed like a short novella on Twitter about how Jeremy Corbyn is secretly the Antichrist, like as in literally, full-on Alex Jones style.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Barudak posted:

Isn't that just a thing you pay money for and buy? I'd not spend the money on it.

James Hong rules, by the way.

You pay money and put your name in for consideration. If you're chosen the money is used to create and maintain the star, if not you get the money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

She also had an extremely normal one where she composed like a short novella on Twitter about how Jeremy Corbyn is secretly the Antichrist, like as in literally, full-on Alex Jones style.

i missed this. Holy poo poo.