Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

In the 70s Viscount made a batch of bad aluminum forks pinned to steel steerers that failed spectacularly (people losing all of their loving teeth etc). But other than having a harsh ride I don't think fear of modern aluminum forks exploding is founded. Knowing all that I would still prefer a steel fork. Not sure why Trek would want to switch it up.

quote:

The "Death Fork"

The bikes (both Lamberts and Viscounts) came with a cast aluminium (aluminum) fork which was pinned to a steel steerer tube. Early production didn't even have the pin. This fork was the main problem as it had a tendency to snap off the steerer tube with predictably unfortunate consequences to the rider.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A LAMBERT OR VISCOUNT BE RIDDEN WITH THE ORIGINAL CAST ALUMINUM FORK!!!!!!!!!

(Having said that, I ignorantly rode my Viscount with the original fork for 8 years including many 40-45 mph descents in the bluff country of southeastern Minnesota for 6 of those years. The patron saints were working overtime for me!).

Yamaha purchased the Viscount in 1978 or so and promptly recalled every cast aluminum fork ever sold on a Viscount or Lambert, replacing them with a chromed steel Tange fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^
Probably cheaper.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Trek still makes a 520 model and a 520 disc now. Framesets and complete

A modern 520 will be way different than a 83 520 though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Florida sucks

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I built up a 60cm '82 Trek 720 and I use it for light touring in Wisconsin. All of the components are modern. It's a really cool bike and I love riding it, but it sure isn't stiff. I don't do four panniers, just two rear, a tent on top of the rear rack, and a rando bag up front.

I have limited experience with Surlys, but my impression is that they're overbuilt and the frame characteristics really aren't comparable to an 80s Reynolds 531 bike.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The chain stays of a LHT completely disprove the idea of surly frames being overbuilt lol. They crush like a beer can.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bottom Liner posted:

The chain stays of a LHT completely disprove the idea of surly frames being overbuilt lol. They crush like a beer can.

Pics?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Are you referring to the LHT chainstays crushing when people use kickstands they specifically tell you not to use?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nm posted:

Are you referring to the LHT chainstays crushing when people use kickstands they specifically tell you not to use?

Yeah I’m saying that’s a good example of them not overbuilding, not that their frames aren’t robust where needed. I have owned and loved 4 surlys.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah I’m saying that’s a good example of them not overbuilding, not that their frames aren’t robust where needed. I have owned and loved 4 surlys.

Surly now sells a plate that fixes the issue.

I do suspect the Salsa Marrakesh might be made out of slightly better steel that the LHT. It also has adjustable dropouts, which might help make the bike more sporty unloaded and stable loaded if you adjust them.
That said, honestly, frame only, if you're shopping a Maxway steel touring frame (QBP, Merry/Soma, Trek, Jamis, basically everything else), I'd shop on fit first and then braze-ons, tire/wheel size, and axle. Oh and paint. The fact that Salsa doesn't sell the Marrakesh frame only in black and not the really nice blue on the brooks version.
The disc trucker is now a flat mount if that matters to anyone.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 16, 2020

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Hey new touring thread!

My bike touring experience is fairly limited, but i've done a few weekend trips and really enjoyed them all. Earlier this year the girlfriend and I were pretty seriously considering doing the Eurovelo 15 (Rhine River) route in the fall, but due to COVID and various other things shaking up our year it didn't materialise. Definitely hoping to do something like that next year though. We also had plans with some friends to do some long weekends biking around the Netherlands & Belgium, but that fell through as well since they weren't able to fly out here from the US for obvious reasons. :(

Anyway that's enough about trips that didn't happen, what I have actually done is quite a few weekends on the Capital Trail in Virginia, camping down around Williamsburg, and coming back up. The first time I did this was Summer 2018, completely out of shape, on a borrowed carbon road bike, and with everything in a backpack. Immediately after returning from that trip I bought a rack and panniers, and the next time we did it a few weeks later it was a much more pleasant experience. Then last summer I went with the same group of friends and we did a 3 day trip camping around the Outer Banks in NC which was a blast. This is the kind of trip I definitely want to try to do more of.

My friends bike I borrowed on our first overnight trip. Very attractive photo with my sweaty gross bib thrown over it, I know.
When we arrived in the campsite and I got off the bike and lifted it a little bit the back wheel dropped out of the frame entirely, apparently the quick release wasn't nearly tight enough and I was riding on it all day like that....

Shortly after that trip got my own bike again, and some proper bags...

Getting ready in a motel parking lot in OBX to start our 3 days of camping. Right after we pulled out of the parking lot it dumped rain on us for about the first hour, but then dried out and the rest of the weekend was great.

Much prettier blue skies on days 2 & 3.

My load for the weekend on one of the ferries we took.

I'd like to at least do *something* this year since our big Eurovelo dreams didn't end up happening.... We're currently living in The Netherlands and my girlfriend's company recently opened an office in Cologne that she needs to visit a few times in the coming months. I'm thinking I may try to take a long weekend and bike down to Cologne to meet her during one of her trips, then spend a weekend biking on some gravel and old fire roads/train tracks in Eifel about an hour away. Next year we can hopefully plan some more exciting trips and explore the world of bike touring a little more.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The eurovelo system is so cool and I'm very jealous the US doesn't have anything close

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

i say swears online posted:

The eurovelo system is so cool and I'm very jealous the US doesn't have anything close

It's called the interstate, quit being a sissy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's called the interstate, quit being a sissy

what's everyone's freeway protocol for exits, do you accelerate and time it while skipping across the lane or do you stop at the exit and look behind you like a child

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jato posted:

Anyway that's enough about trips that didn't happen,
In July I was supposed to tour over the Alps from Füssen to Trento. :unsmith:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

what's everyone's freeway protocol for exits, do you accelerate and time it while skipping across the lane or do you stop at the exit and look behind you like a child

I just take the lane so I don’t have to worry about crossing exits.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

yes

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Depends on the type of freeway.

70mph but low traffic I'll stay on the shoulder and cut across when clear. Try to avoid actually stopping, but sometimes ya gotta.

45mph and high traffic I'll merge into the lane to get across.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Writeup of a tour from Paris to Mussoorie, India in 1972:
https://ridewithgps.com/ride_reports/4601-paris-to-mussoorie-by-bicycle-part-1-fra?otu=

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

I started reading this with breakfast, planning to go out and ride earlyish.

I'm done with breakfast and still reading. Thank you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Today I saw a guy who was definitely touring. He was going from Seattle to Boston.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ugh this is so cool

iospace posted:

Today I saw a guy who was definitely touring. He was going from Seattle to Boston.

i should have done this earlier in the thread but i follow Hitch on twitch:

https://twitch.tv/hitch

he usually hitchhikes but covid pooped on his livelihood so he set out from vancouver island in june and just reached quebec

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm going to be building up my Crust Romanceür this weekend and I'm still on the fence about whether or not I should install the wide Velo Orange wavy fenders I originally bought for it.

They're beautiful, but IDK if they're really necessary and I wonder if I'll just find them to be a hassle.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I mean if you're going to be doing touring when it is raining, it's worth it.
Metal fenders, once adjusted, are a bit less of a pain in the rear end about getting. out of alignment than plastic fenders.

I'd only not do it if you're only fair weather touring or if you're doing a lot of non-paved roads as fenders can gum up the works there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What are you gonna do, return/sell them?
I say spend the extra time to dial them in as part of your install. You can always detach them later really quickly.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah I'm in SoCal so rain is uncommon but I also want to travel more with my touring bikes. It's just that this one is more gravel/mud-oriented than my other touring bike.

I suppose I can put them on and it should be simple to remove them later. It should be easier with this bike because I'm not doing a wired tail light and I won't have to mess around with rim brakes to get the fenders off.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

rope kid posted:

I'm going to be building up my Crust Romanceür this weekend and I'm still on the fence about whether or not I should install the wide Velo Orange wavy fenders I originally bought for it.

They're beautiful, but IDK if they're really necessary and I wonder if I'll just find them to be a hassle.

Just enjoy it without fenders for a while. Maybe January or whenever the forecast says rain.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
When touring, I had mudguards for a while but then removed them. The bag over my rear rack worked well enough for a rear pannier. It can however lead to you getting tar in your tent. Now I commute on my touring bike I'm very glad to have mudguards on.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

getting mud in between the fender and the tire is awful. i'll take the poop stripe any day (and even then like said, the back rack does a good enough job)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The only time I really regret having fenders, other than mud, is when I travel. loving putting those fuckers on because I had to take them off for the bike box.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

getting mud in between the fender and the tire is awful. i'll take the poop stripe any day (and even then like said, the back rack does a good enough job)

Didn't happen that often, but pushing my bike along mud roads where I'd get about 30m before my mudguards clogged up again and needed cleaning out was so painful. Lack of mudguards increased the range of that massively.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I've only had to remove my mudguards once:

I still think they are worth the pain-in-the-rear end effort of traveling with them unless you specifically plan to be riding on wet sticky clay.

e: If you are running dynamo wiring, make sure to make use of connectors wherever your bike can come apart.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 25, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I’ve not toured on the setup yet, but have commuted quite a bit with Dynasnaps:
https://www.dyna-snap.com/

If anyone is desperate for a gimmicky quick connect system.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Nifty idea, but those are drat pricey. I'm using some 2mm solder on banana plugs that CopperHound had. Super easy connection, and they're not much bigger than the wire after they're heatshrinked. Sets of 20 of them only run 3-4 bucks from china.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've never seen a generator hub in person. is it something you totally build the wheel around?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
It's the same as a regular hub in terms of building a wheel around it yes. You'll probably need slightly shorter spokes as it's probably a bit bigger than a normal hub.

I've got S&S couplings and a dynohub, but given the only thing charged by the hub is my front light the regular connectors have worked just fine. They can be marginally fiddly with cold hands. Also need to be careful that you don't leave them loose so they hook onto the wheel and get yanked.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, a custom wheel build around a dynamo is probably the best option in the US, especially if you need dynamo + disc + tubeless

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FireTora posted:

Nifty idea, but those are drat pricey. I'm using some 2mm solder on banana plugs that CopperHound had. Super easy connection, and they're not much bigger than the wire after they're heatshrinked. Sets of 20 of them only run 3-4 bucks from china.

I should probably get a soldering iron and do mine at some point because I have 6 or so spade connectors across 2 bikes that are just crimped + shrink tubing

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

While we are on the topic of dynamo wiring: you can get a telephone handset type coil in your wire by wrapping it around a pencil then hitting it with a heat gun. I do this, so I can have a little slack around the headset.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CopperHound posted:

While we are on the topic of dynamo wiring: you can get a telephone handset type coil in your wire by wrapping it around a pencil then hitting it with a heat gun. I do this, so I can have a little slack around the headset.

This is a good pro-tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

kimbo305 posted:

I’ve not toured on the setup yet, but have commuted quite a bit with Dynasnaps:
https://www.dyna-snap.com/

If anyone is desperate for a gimmicky quick connect system.
Seconding Dynasnaps. I have them on my S&S-coupled touring bike and they work well.