Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Deeply funny that they kicked McGregor and then the Dragons won a huge upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Dan Didio posted:

Deeply funny that they kicked McGregor and then the Dragons won a huge upset.

Not sure if you would feel happy or sad as Mary. Whilst it's a nice sendoff, it's a bit insulting that they had that in them and only bothered to pull it out when you were gone.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i feel happy for him, not having to coach that basket case any more

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Jono C posted:

Feel free to stick around and ask questions. We're a bunch of suicicidal alcoholics so we constantly need to build our numbers. Have you seen Midsommar? We're a bit like that. The Warriors and Tigers fans here are like the guy that jumps off the cliff and fucks it up.

We don't give a gently caress about who you support as long as it isn't Easts. gently caress the cunts.

Grand Final was so late here last year that I stayed up drinking all night and by the end I was sending facebook messages to Latrell Mitchell's official account calling him a fat oval office. Now he's fatter and on Souths.

My only real question that I ask over and over again is how come teams don't take the 2 more on penalties? They are so overly confident every time and almost never turn it into a try. And even when they do they miss the kick anyway, so it's only 4.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Nimmy posted:

Grand Final was so late here last year that I stayed up drinking all night and by the end I was sending facebook messages to Latrell Mitchell's official account calling him a fat oval office. Now he's fatter and on Souths.

You're pretty much one of us already.

quote:

My only real question that I ask over and over again is how come teams don't take the 2 more on penalties? They are so overly confident every time and almost never turn it into a try. And even when they do they miss the kick anyway, so it's only 4.

League is a bit behind the rest of the sports world when it comes to advanced statistics, but most teams believe that their probability of scoring a try on a repeat set in the red zone gives a better weighted outcome than taking the two points. It also helps that a penalty goal is worth only half of a try (or a third of a converted try), whereas in rugby union a penalty is worth three points, which as a percentage is worth more than five points for a try or seven for a converted try. From the persepective of a fan, it means more running footy with ball in hand, which is what we're there to see. Meanwhile if you watch a game of union, you'll see goal kickers taking penalty shots anywhere in the attacking half and lose way too many minutes of your life watching them set up for those kicks, or setting up scrums or lineouts.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Jono C posted:

League is a bit behind the rest of the sports world when it comes to advanced statistics, but most teams believe that their probability of scoring a try on a repeat set in the red zone gives a better weighted outcome than taking the two points. It also helps that a penalty goal is worth only half of a try (or a third of a converted try), whereas in rugby union a penalty is worth three points, which as a percentage is worth more than five points for a try or seven for a converted try. From the persepective of a fan, it means more running footy with ball in hand, which is what we're there to see. Meanwhile if you watch a game of union, you'll see goal kickers taking penalty shots anywhere in the attacking half and lose way too many minutes of your life watching them set up for those kicks, or setting up scrums or lineouts.

That makes sense. I was a "I hate all rugby" person who had only been introduced to Rugby Union, so certainly I wouldn't want to turn League into that other esoteric version of the sport. But it really seems like teams are leaving points on the table. At least for Souths, there's no way we converted even 1/3 of those new sets into trys and we were pretty good last year. Especially because Reynolds can kick; if we were relying on someone poo poo I could understand. But it just seems to me like the whole culture is "we are men, we don't kick!" and from a pure scoring the most points perspective it's probably wrong.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

All of the above is true and very well put, but I think it misses one point that you might have trouble believing: league players are ridiculously stupid and have almost no ability to engage their brains on any task that isn't criminal.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nrlphysio/status/1294468087744356352?s=21

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

iajanus posted:

All of the above is true and very well put, but I think it misses one point that you might have trouble believing: league players are ridiculously stupid and have almost no ability to engage their brains on any task that isn't criminal.

HAHAHA, this is what my friend who introduced me to Rugby League says all the time. Always remember, the players are the dumbest people on the planet. I was hoping his answer (which is the same as the one you guys have given me!) was maybe not fully informed.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Rugby League players aren't Dutch Kickboxing level criminals, not yet, but I have every faith that someday there will be a Sharks or Bulldogs player smart enough to reach such lofty heights.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

This can't be emphasised enough. Dear god is this game full of dumbasses.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I remember hearing a report on the news about how the Storm have been “ravaged by injuries” this year, so that’s handy information to have.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Nimmy posted:

HAHAHA, this is what my friend who introduced me to Rugby League says all the time. Always remember, the players are the dumbest people on the planet. I was hoping his answer (which is the same as the one you guys have given me!) was maybe not fully informed.

We're not saying they're bad people (although there's definitely the usual number of scumbags in there), they're just on the whole the most profoundly stupid people imaginable, and can be counted on to do the absolutely worst thing at every opportunity. At some point they're literally beyond parody.

They're pretty entertaining, though.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Sharks looking like they want to continue the trend of upsets this week

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

iajanus posted:

We're not saying they're bad people (although there's definitely the usual number of scumbags in there), they're just on the whole the most profoundly stupid people imaginable, and can be counted on to do the absolutely worst thing at every opportunity. At some point they're literally beyond parody.

They're pretty entertaining, though.

Nah not bad people. Just get into tag team prostitute scandals during pandemics and like to leave explicit voicemails to women in taxi cabs. Anyway, very glad I have an extended WatchNRL subscription for this year because of COVID-19 haha!

E: this game is at 2:30am my time, I'm going to be absolutely obnoxious if Souths are rampant... and won't make a post for a week if they are trash.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Nimmy posted:

Nah not bad people. Just get into tag team prostitute scandals during pandemics and like to leave explicit voicemails to women in taxi cabs. Anyway, very glad I have an extended WatchNRL subscription for this year because of COVID-19 haha!

Yeah those are pretty tame compared to some of the previous fun

Someone post Gower.txt please

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Nimmy posted:

E: this game is at 2:30am my time, I'm going to be absolutely obnoxious if Souths are rampant... and won't make a post for a week if they are trash.

Yeah you're going to fit right in here

Come join the discord if you haven't already, it's more real-time gnashing of teeth and alcoholism

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

iajanus posted:

Yeah you're going to fit right in here

Come join the discord if you haven't already, it's more real-time gnashing of teeth and alcoholism

Link isn't in the first post of the thread. Also never registered for Discord. I think I would be extremely, extremely obnoxious because the time difference basically guarantees I'm going to be about 15 whiskeys deep. But as a concession, I saw Matty Johns at the Manly Wharf when I was there (didn't know who he was), but he was kind of trying to be recognized... so it was apparently a fantastic standoff of him thinking a 35 year old sporty man must recognize him, and me the American treating him like some weird rear end in a top hat trying to make conversation with a stranger.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Nimmy posted:

Link isn't in the first post of the thread. Also never registered for Discord. I think I would be extremely, extremely obnoxious because the time difference basically guarantees I'm going to be about 15 whiskeys deep. But as a concession, I saw Matty Johns at the Manly Wharf when I was there (didn't know who he was), but he was kind of trying to be recognized... so it was apparently a fantastic standoff of him thinking a 35 year old sporty man must recognize him, and me the American treating him like some weird rear end in a top hat trying to make conversation with a stranger.

Yeah I should probably remember to do that

https://discord.gg/bqxDStt

And we value obnoxious posting, it makes everything better

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Umm great work Proctor, maybe go for a bite after the game

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

iajanus posted:

Yeah I should probably remember to do that

https://discord.gg/bqxDStt

And we value obnoxious posting, it makes everything better

I'll be all over this in an hour. But for the rest of the league, my only opinions are that Cleary is a Neanderthal and Latrell is the fattest professional athlete in history. Oh, sorry, the Latrell opinion was a Souths opinion. So I only have one opinion.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Someone post Gower.txt please

quote:

Gower has been involved in a number of alcohol-related off-field incidents. In 1999, Gower exposed himself to a female Irish tourist in a Coogee bar, blaming his behavior on alcohol intoxication. He was dumped from the squad and fined A$2,500 by the NRL and a further A$500 in court after pleading guilty to indecent exposure.

In December 2005, Gower was fired as Panthers captain after incidents at a charity golf event where he argued with several guests, groped the then teenage daughter of former league player Wayne Pearce, chased Mitchell Pearce with a bottle before vomiting on him, streaked nude around the resort, stole and crashed a golf cart, held a butter knife to the throat of a Sydney radio personality before throwing it at resort guests, and engaged in a brawl with resort security before being ejected from the official function and detained by police. He was handed a "final warning" by the National Rugby League and fined A$100,000, with A$90,000 to be paid to an NRL programme encouraging the responsible use of alcohol by league players and $10,000 to replace the destroyed golf cart. Gower was "deeply unhappy" that the Penrith Panthers club did not defend his reputation , and at one stage threatened to "walk" from the club.

Allegedly inebriated with alcohol in a bar at Kings Cross on 11 February 2007, Gower allegedly tried to kiss one man before biting him on the neck and sparking a brawl, and is accused of assaulting another man. The Panthers club controversially reappointed Gower as captain in 2007, claiming the Peppermint Lounge incident was just a media "beat-up". Australian swimmer Dawn Fraser said Gower was unfit to be captain, due to his alleged lewd behaviour at the charity golf event which she attended, and Sarah Maddison, spokesperson for the Women's Electoral Lobby, said "reappointing Craig Gower would send all the wrong messages."\

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
The Tigers are remarkably bad at the whole "playing football" thing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's not fair to blame the Tigers, there's people all over the inner west that have encouraged this sort of thing for far too long.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That or this is an incredible false flag effort to keep Brisbane in line for the wooden spoon.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

his excuse for the golf course incdient was that it was his " Bucks Week"
Bucks Week

what a oval office

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jesus Christ why does this team hate me and want my son to grow up without a father

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
on the biting incident i don’t think KP was trying to bit SJ, I think it was just an accident with shaun holding his arm in proctors mouth and KP went to close his jaw when getting up

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The real judiciary story this week should be Luai stomping on Nikorima's head.

edit: also Proctor's defense of "I didn't bite him" is not credible when his initial response to the accusation was "well you were choking me".

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 17, 2020

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

So what the gently caress happened today with the Warriors and sponsorship? Supposedly Telstra was going to force Vodafone out as the club's major sponsor, but all of a sudden backed down.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Jono C posted:

So what the gently caress happened today with the Warriors and sponsorship? Supposedly Telstra was going to force Vodafone out as the club's major sponsor, but all of a sudden backed down.

Telstra and V'Landys decided that there was no room in RUGBAH LEEG for any telco sponsor other than Telstra, so they demanded that the Warriors sever their 20+year relationship with Vodafone, trying to make them Vodagone from TELSTRA RUGBAH TELSTRA TELSTRA LEEG TELSTRA.

Basically, the overwhelming response was Vlandys can go eat a gently caress and Telstra can join him.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

In short, NRL admin being loving morons for shady financial reasons, as always

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Situation normal, all hosed up.

Speaking of which, four weeks for Proctor for biting is a relative slap on the wrist.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

loling imagining him being wheeled back into the COVID bubble like Hannibal Lecter.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jono C posted:

Situation normal, all hosed up.

Speaking of which, four weeks for Proctor for biting is a relative slap on the wrist.

Reminds me of the Wade McKinnon suspension for spitting - mild suspension because they're not actually sure he even did it.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Do we want to do odds on who was behind the Seibold rumours? The idea that he's got hot poo poo European investigators on the case seems laughable, but hey let's go with it for a laugh. I'm kind of hoping it's Bennett.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Jono C posted:

Do we want to do odds on who was behind the Seibold rumours? The idea that he's got hot poo poo European investigators on the case seems laughable, but hey let's go with it for a laugh. I'm kind of hoping it's Bennett.

sensible choice , Bennett via Darius
white ant option, Kevvy Walters and Andrew Gee

comedy option, Fletch and Hindy

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Abalone Malone posted:

comedy option, Fletch and Hindy

There's a 5% chance this is a Matty Johns show sketch gone horribly wrong.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

I think he's being milked by some "cybercrime experts" happily playing into whatever paranoid conspiracies he's telling them. "Mr Seibold it turns out you were right, all along it's that dastardly Wayne Bennett and that no good Darius Boyd we just need another $20,000 to hack into the mainframe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Jono C posted:

There's a 5% chance this is a Matty Johns show sketch gone horribly wrong.

So, same as any other Matty Johns sketch?