Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Holy poo poo what a saga, I'm glad she's back with you now.

I'm also now retroactively incredibly relieved and grateful that when my chickenshit cat escaped several years ago and it took like three weeks to get her back she didn't have any problems from not eating. She definitely lost a lot of weight but no other issues. Thankfully in my case she started hanging around my house after about two weeks so I fed her every evening and managed to trap her pretty quickly after that, and we didn't have raccoons and moving house to complicate things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Welcome home, lovely Tuesday! :kimchi:

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Tuesdaycat we love you! Don't be a butthole ever again!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Litter Robot has shipped! Never thought I'd be excited for a litter box but here we are.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm gonna imagine Tuesday was off having a Homeward Bound adventure, seriously that was a hell of a story and I had to skip to the end halfway through cuz I wanted her to come home so bad.

Hoping she gets her health back soon, she sounds like a really drat lucky cat to have someone take care of her like that.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
We had Tuesday’s e-tube out just last week. Coincidentally, the special kitty collar we ordered (kitty kollar :rolleyes: but they’re well made) came the same day.

The tube was concreted with cat mucus, a/d high calorie mush, and pill fragments. :sigh: Even the vet couldn’t unclog it. Since replacing it would require sedation and she was already starting to eat independently, he advised that we take it out and see how things go.

Tuesday is currently doing well. She started jumping up on furniture and then moved to grooming and, just a couple days ago, is playing again. She’s reverted to being super bitey though. Right now she’s putting on abdominal fat and trying to trick us into rubbing her stoma.

During that initial intake exam, I was really disappointed in myself that I hadn’t seen signs of jaundice even though I carefully inspected her. The vet found it in the back of her throat. Then her liver functioning tests came back high, in the 600s. I regret not rushing her to an e-vet Saturday. I guess all’s well that ends well, though. Her kidneys are fine and we haven’t stumbled across any other complications.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

wandler20 posted:

Litter Robot has shipped! Never thought I'd be excited for a litter box but here we are.

Same, supposed to be here Friday

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

any recommendations for mouse traps that are both effective and safe around cats? I've dealt with a mouse infestation with snap traps before and they worked quite well, but I don't think having those around my cat is a great idea.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Puppy Galaxy posted:

any recommendations for mouse traps that are both effective and safe around cats? I've dealt with a mouse infestation with snap traps before and they worked quite well, but I don't think having those around my cat is a great idea.

I had good luck with the Tomcat spin trap design, but reviews on it now seem not great.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Puppy Galaxy posted:

This worked for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Catchmaster-Multi-Catch-Mouse-Trap-3/dp/B07VFKPK3T

I didn't use the glue board because glue traps are awful, so when I caught a mouse I just had this live mouse to deal with. Took it a few miles away and set it free. Pretty sure it still died since it was out of familiar territory, but at least it died feeding something that eats mice.

Anyway, it's a sturdy metal box. Even if the cat decides to investigate and poke at it they can't hurt themselves or mess with the trapping mechanism. Some traps seem sort of precarious like a cat could knock them over or trigger the mechanism just by poking at it. There are similar models that are all metal, no plastic window, and they might be stronger but I was worried I'd have no way to check for mice without opening the box and having a mouse jump at my face.

I attached a few bells to mine so it would be louder if a mouse was inside the box, because I didn't want a mouse to starve to death and stink up the place. Turns out that was unnecessary tho, cats are really good at pointing out when a box has a live mouse in it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Puppy Galaxy posted:

... Isn't just having a cat the most effective mouse trap?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rotten Red Rod posted:

LOL, no. Not every cat is a good mouser.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fair enough. I've been lucky, I guess.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Facebook Aunt posted:

My parents took in a pregnant stray and she was a fantastic mouser. Her kittens never needed to hunt for food, and were great at catching but not follow through.

When they found a mouse they took it to the bathtub to play with until it got boring, and since the mice had trouble getting out of the tub they could come back to play with it later. They were the cutest torturers. :3: (Thankfully my parents would take the mice away and eventually fixed the hole that was letting so many inside.)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Once one of my cats got outside and came back in with the hugest, ugliest rat I've ever seen. She deposited it in my room as a present to me.

It was still completely alive, just stunned, and I had to catch in a towel and bring it back outside.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not really, they might help a little but by the time you're seeing a mouse there's a good chance that there are 10 or 20 hanging out somewhere within your building.

I actually haven't seen one yet, but the cat was staring at the gap under the oven last night, and I didn't find a mouse corpse in the morning, so he may not be the best man for the job

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've watched my vicious apex predator run in fear of an ant. He was following it intently and then the thing veered in his direction and he scampered.

He will eat whatever bugs I kill though so at least disposal is taken care of?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

All I have to do is point Aleta at an insect and say "Buggy bug!" It will be a snack before she even realizes what she's doing.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's true but the mere presence of a cat is often enough to keep mice out of the area because the mice can smell certain proteins in cat saliva and that smell causes fear in the mice.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, before we got cats, mice were tearing up stuff in our garage. Once we got a cat, they caught one mouse, and all the rest just moved out immediately.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TMMadman posted:

That's true but the mere presence of a cat is often enough to keep mice out of the area because the mice can smell certain proteins in cat saliva and that smell causes fear in the mice.

True. My (good mouser) cat died and a within a month mice started coming around (townhouse, so they were probably coming through the walls from the neighbours). Then I got two sisters who were absolutely useless for hunting. Nevertheless, I did find one dead mouse. Not a mark on it. I assume it thought it was about to be eaten and it's tiny heart gave out.

Not long after Pip did catch a mouse, and bring it to me. Again, not a mark on it but this time it was alive. She spit it out, looked at it as it got to its feet, then picked it up again. She looked more confused than anything. She seems to have only the vaguest instinct that she should catch things, but no idea about killing or eating them. I had to scoop it into a box and take it away. She never bothered to catch one again, just watch them from a distance like a Garfield cartoon.

Once the new cats got to about 6 months old the mice stayed away.

But if your mice have :toxogond: they won't know to avoid your dumb non-hunting cats.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Litter Robot is out and filled with litter, no cats have gone into it yet

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Is my cat a finicky eater? So far I have found Blue Buffalo to be the only wet cat food that doesnt cause messy poops. The problem is she hates it, just as much as I hated wiping her butt 2-3 times a week.
The main problem is she seems to hate it so much she only eats it when shes starving. Shes one year old this week and she really only eats one 5 ounce can a day. Eating 1 can seems to drag on for nearly 20 hours. Every few days she finishes it a bit quicker and she gets an additional half can that day for a 7.5oz daily ration.
Her weight is good, around 8lbs and she has plenty of young cat energy and runs around demanding play.

With this food schedule I feel like Im putting her on a lean diet, but she seems fine with it. Should I start to experiment with dry food for some meals, or is there something I can drizzle on the BB to make it more appetizing for her?
Every other cat food than BB makes her butt look like she sat on a melted chocolate Kiss.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I have tricked a cat into the robot

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Gaj posted:

Is my cat a finicky eater? So far I have found Blue Buffalo to be the only wet cat food that doesnt cause messy poops. The problem is she hates it, just as much as I hated wiping her butt 2-3 times a week.
The main problem is she seems to hate it so much she only eats it when shes starving. Shes one year old this week and she really only eats one 5 ounce can a day. Eating 1 can seems to drag on for nearly 20 hours. Every few days she finishes it a bit quicker and she gets an additional half can that day for a 7.5oz daily ration.
Her weight is good, around 8lbs and she has plenty of young cat energy and runs around demanding play.

With this food schedule I feel like Im putting her on a lean diet, but she seems fine with it. Should I start to experiment with dry food for some meals, or is there something I can drizzle on the BB to make it more appetizing for her?
Every other cat food than BB makes her butt look like she sat on a melted chocolate Kiss.

Are you switching the food over instantly?

If you're just switching completely without mixing her digestive system is getting thrown for a loop.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
No shes been on BB since jan, and adult formula for like 2 months. This has been a problem with both types. She will devour any other cat food.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 22, 2020

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Len posted:

I have tricked a cat into the robot
Getting them to do it once is only the start, the real trick is having them go again after it cycles and not in some obscure corner of your bedroom.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Gaj posted:

Not to sound like I disappeared my husband or anything, but could you try dribbling some sardine oil on the wet food? Or even some water from a can of tuna? You could also may try mixing the Blue Buffalo with something she likes mre, although I'm not sure if that would still upset her stomach.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

kw0134 posted:

Getting them to do it once is only the start, the real trick is having them go again after it cycles and not in some obscure corner of your bedroom.

Someone peed in the thing last night so one of the two is actually using it. I'm just not sure which is was

The fact the Chunk in the picture was able to get it at least is a good sign, there was concern she wouldn't be able to get in the thing and is the reason we got the fat ramp

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This chonky 20lb monster uses it fine, which is impressive.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Chunk cats unite! According to the co-worker we got her from Bean used to be an active happy thin cat and then after she got declawed would go to jump onto her cat tree, not be able to cling, and then gave up on being up

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Not to sound like I disappeared my husband or anything, but could you try dribbling some sardine oil on the wet food? Or even some water from a can of tuna? You could also may try mixing the Blue Buffalo with something she likes mre, although I'm not sure if that would still upset her stomach.

Would the lazy, yet appropriate thing to do, is just switch over to a fish-based recipe? Shes basically stuck on chicken flavor since thats what she would gobble down, just not chicken BB.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Gaj posted:

Would the lazy, yet appropriate thing to do, is just switch over to a fish-based recipe? Shes basically stuck on chicken flavor since thats what she would gobble down, just not chicken BB.

Yeah, I mean, if they have other flavors in the same formula and you haven't tried those yet, give it a shot!

Aleta HATES chicken, by the way.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Aleta HATES chicken, by the way.

Sweetheart hates chicken cat food.

People chicken on the other hand...

(E: obviously she doesn't get any, but boy is she a gremlin about trying to get some)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Nope, Boo only wants ham and milk. She enjoys exactly one cat food, a shrimp gelatin that costs almost two frickin euro a can! Everything else she either barely tolerates, or will only eat after it dries out.

Oh, and the tasty, tasty houseplants. And bugs.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

saw the cat stalking something under the fridge last night but no body to be found this morning, so I am firing my cat and setting up traps.

Thanks for nothing, idiot

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
this is how we deal with flies in our household

https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1266254049877258240?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kyrosiris posted:

Sweetheart hates chicken cat food.

People chicken on the other hand...

(E: obviously she doesn't get any, but boy is she a gremlin about trying to get some)

I let Motor chew on chicken bones a few times and i completely created a monster....

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
My sweet little shitten, who is so good about velveting her paws I wondered if she just couldn't extend them, slashed the poo poo out of my fingers multiple times

Turns out she just needed bits of chicken as motivation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

:same: but it usually ends with my forearms getting scratched to hell and the kitty eating a nasty rear end moth