Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's the counterpart to the cheerful battle and calm drowning of early prince Val.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I remember the first Conan movie being extremely good, and the second movie being not really good, and also that early Cerebus was a Conan parody and was good.

So by and large Conan owns.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Gologle posted:

I remember the first Conan movie being extremely good, and the second movie being not really good, and also that early Cerebus was a Conan parody and was good.

TRUTH!

The old Savage Sword of Conan magazine format books were amazing and full of "Badass Panels." My grandmother always bought them for me as a kid. Had I the dedication I would effort post choice selections or just the Vallejo covers.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spanish Matlock posted:

Conan is a dour, joyless murder tornado. He's the "cool guys don't look at explosions" of the 1930s.

"Gigantic mirth" is right there in the "Hither came Conan" speech, he just has a skewed sense of humour

Dark Horse Conan #18
:nws:https://i.imgur.com/zbs5sm9.jpg

mhah!

E: first page has cartoon boobies

Phy fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 14, 2020

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gologle posted:

The second movie isn’t great, but anyone who casts Wilt Chamberlain to be the defender of a maiden’s virginity has to know they’re in for trouble.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Every time that story pops up all I can think about is how much I want a Bruce Timm Conan show.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Spanish Matlock posted:

Conan is a dour, joyless murder tornado. He's the "cool guys don't look at explosions" of the 1930s.

he's also brilliantly lampooned in Oglaf from time to time

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I wish I hated anything as much as Conan hates sorcerors.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Conan likes a bit of fighting and pillaging once in a while but he doesn't get off on killing, it's just a thing that has to be done a lot and he happens to be good at it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Flesh Forge posted:

he's also brilliantly lampooned in Oglaf from time to time

Kronar is wonderful in every appearance he's made in Oglaf.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I saved off these pages for another thead the other day so here with tastefully censored out birthing hog:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It bums me out that Son of Kronar was like 8 years ago and she was never seen again :smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

I wish I hated anything as much as Conan hates sorcerors.

A sorcerer took his kingdom and locked him in a dank-rear end dungeon that he only got out of because of ANOTHER sorcerer. So of course he hates sorcerers.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
If you want a barbarian that enjoys killing, you get your butt down to 2000 AD and you find yourself some vintage Slaine.

There's a point where Slaine is elected young king, where he gets to be king for a year and then he's ritually killed. The thing is the king gets to decide how he's killed and Slaine is so loving hyped about it. He's like "You're going to burn me, roll up my ashes and pass them out to everyone in the realm so they can get high smoking their dead king."

Then later he saves Ireland from drowning by reminding God what a good screw he is.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The hilarious and forgotten part of Conan is that he is fairly well read and traveled, has a faculty for languages and puzzles and was, on balance, a fairly solid ruler of his kingdom. And that the "barbarian" part of the title is in some senses ironic juxtaposition between his wisdom and honor and the perceived lack of both in 'civilization'.

Of course 99% of all depictions of him will be in a fur banana hammock swinging a giant sword and acting like a moron.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Groo would kill all of these other barbarians by mistake except for the last one whom he would kill years later as revenge for saying he was slow of mind in the first panel.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I always liked how Conan and his friends would wear all sorts of different clothes and armor depending on what they were up to in the first movie. In the second one, he just wears his fur diaper except when it's cold he wears a fur cloak with his fur diaper.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mulva posted:

The hilarious and forgotten part of Conan is that he is fairly well read and traveled, has a faculty for languages and puzzles and was, on balance, a fairly solid ruler of his kingdom. And that the "barbarian" part of the title is in some senses ironic juxtaposition between his wisdom and honor and the perceived lack of both in 'civilization'.

Of course 99% of all depictions of him will be in a fur banana hammock swinging a giant sword and acting like a moron.

Yeah it feels like every other Conan story is about some dead city from a civilization that collapsed under it's own decadence eons ago, and Conan just passes through to sneer at everyone and kill the head priest/king/sorceror.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mulva posted:

Yeah Conan is the story of how some guy who lived in the mountains and really only knew how to fight and party had all these experiences and became a wise and worldly king. There's also always a lot of deliberate irony about how he scorns civilization but is always seeking it out, scorns philosophy and poetry but is kind of both by nature, etc.

It's almost like he's a really well thought out character written by smart people who had something to say about the world.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah Conan is the story of how some guy who lived in the mountains and really only knew how to fight and party had all these experiences and became a wise and worldly king. There's also always a lot of deliberate irony about how he scorns civilization but is always seeking it out, scorns philosophy and poetry but is kind of both by nature, etc.

It's almost like he's a really well thought out character written by smart people who had something to say about the world.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't author Robert Howard's thing about Conan was sneering how civilisation made it's people soft and reliant on magic and religion. Not like Hard Barbarians like Conan.
The 30's version of Boomers giving out about how easy kids have it.

And every so often there would be a tree so green that it would blind a lesser person.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't author Robert Howard's thing about Conan was sneering how civilisation made it's people soft and reliant on magic and religion. Not like Hard Barbarians like Conan.
The 30's version of Boomers giving out about how easy kids have it.

And every so often there would be a tree so green that it would blind a lesser person.

It's a lot more complicated than that. Conan thinks himself morally superior to civilized people but he keeps seeking out their luxuries and eventually finds he can't return to his homeland and be happy because he's changed too much and finds his barbarian hometown incredibly dull and lacking in imagination. His "strong right arm" and uncompromising nature makes him more adept at survival than others, and he has a unique way of cutting through the self-delusion of superiority a lot of civilized people have, but his journey is one of learning to see the value of things outside his narrow cultural preconceptions while not losing the core of who he is.

More importantly, the anti-civilization themes in Conan were a direct reaction to how industrialization and the rise of 20th century capitalism had utterly devastated the farming communities Robert E. Howad grew up in. Howard saw spineless, heartless people who'd never worked an honest day in their lives living high off the hog and mercilessly crushing those beneath them, and it disgusted him. It's not so much that civilization makes people soft, it's that it isolates the powerful from the reality of the world and crushes the spirit of those who toil under them.

It's definitely not a complete systemic critique, and there's a lot of weird race poo poo mixed in there, but it's a mistake to try to reduce Conan to "You drat kids today have it too easy and it's made you soft". Especially if you factor in what Roy Thomas added to the character later on.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Since there are like a thousand Conan comics by dozens of publishers, what are the essential and good Conan comics?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Busiek's always a good bet

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Aaron's recent 12-issue run is really quite good and very accessible. It almost reads like a greatest-hits of stories he obviously loves, with a bunch of his own creation thrown in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Empyre: Savage Avengers one-shot is a really fun Conan and Venom story and doesn't require you to read Empyre.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vincent posted:

Since there are like a thousand Conan comics by dozens of publishers, what are the essential and good Conan comics?

Anything by Roy Thomas. Doubly so if John Buscema is on art.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Vincent posted:

I really like the Barry Windsor Smith ones.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I haven't seen the Conan remake since it came out in the cinema, but I seem to recall that the central plot was the villain wanted to wear an octopus on his head, and Conan was opposed to his sartorial choices. It's possible I may be misremembering some elements of the film

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Post badass Conan ITT.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Avengers: No Road Home

I think this was Conan's reintroduction to the modern Marvel universe. He helps the Avengers beat up some evil goddess and then gets shunted to the Savage Land. He is pleased.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Kazar's gonna be pissed he has lost his one unique thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cassa posted:

Kazar's gonna be pissed he has lost his one unique thing.

Oh no, did Conan kill his sabretooth friend :ohdear:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Have a few pages of Wonder Woman thrashing mutants using Superman's spine and skull as a weapon.

From Wonder Woman Dead Earth 4. Daniel Warren Johnson rules.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The person saying she's unstoppable btw is cheetah, who is not normally disposed to be pro WW.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That seems like a very disrespectful thing to do to a friend's corpse.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I assume she took the time to thread something into the spine/skull so she could whip it about like that, or is she just using Superman's super durable spinal cord?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lurdiak posted:

He was really more of a work friend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I mean she is the one who killed him in the first place. Might as well go all out

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like that art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

I assume she took the time to thread something into the spine/skull so she could whip it about like that, or is she just using Superman's super durable spinal cord?

Spines and skulls in DC follow Predator rules. The Mortal Kombat/DC crossover supports this.