Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Kazinsal posted:

After a week of back and forth with Shaw support they are now saying my random 5 minute bursts of 50% packet loss that happen 2-4 times a day that started only a week ago are coax quality issues somewhere between the wall and the CMTS in the sac box on the street.

I rent. I can't fish through the walls to replace all the coax on a whim.

I love the place I live in but I'm genuinely considering moving to a city that has PureFibre to finally get away from this lovely abusive pseudo-monopolistic shitfest of a cable ISP.

Get them to roll an in-home tech to your place. Next time you call, get their employee number immediately, and tell them you've been at this a week and you'd like a tech to come check the place out.

If this moron actually told you that there's a CMTS on your street, and you don't have a hubsite or a datacenter on your street, they're just trying to get you off the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

originalnickname posted:

Get them to roll an in-home tech to your place. Next time you call, get their employee number immediately, and tell them you've been at this a week and you'd like a tech to come check the place out.

If this moron actually told you that there's a CMTS on your street, and you don't have a hubsite or a datacenter on your street, they're just trying to get you off the phone.

Yeah I thought that was a bit odd. Last time I worked with CMTses they were big 12RU bastards. I know where the sac box is and it's definitely not big enough to have a couple quarter racks in it.

I really wish the city I live in would stop arguing over what is effectively petty cash with Telus and just let them lay FTTH already.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah I thought that was a bit odd. Last time I worked with CMTses they were big 12RU bastards. I know where the sac box is and it's definitely not big enough to have a couple quarter racks in it.

I really wish the city I live in would stop arguing over what is effectively petty cash with Telus and just let them lay FTTH already.

They continue to be 12+ RU devices (until vCMTS).

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I'm looking at signing up with Coextro for a 150 Mbps cable plan since they seem to offer the best bang for the buck in my area, is there any reason to avoid them?

Also, is it worth it to purchase my own modem instead of using whatever they provide?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Generally people advise purchasing your own to avoid rental charges.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Welp. Teksavvy's rates are going up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

infernal machines posted:

Welp. Teksavvy's rates are going up.

They released a general statement a couple days ago about expecting higher rates because of the CRTC but is there something newer and more concrete?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I just received notice that the 5mbit unlimited plan my mom uses is going from $35 to $40 on October 1st

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

infernal machines posted:

I just received notice that the 5mbit unlimited plan my mom uses is going from $35 to $40 on October 1st

Snail mail? I checked my email after your post and didn't see anything so that's why I wondered if they had said anything publically. Guess I'll wait to receive my notice. Thankfully it's covered by my wife's work anyway.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nope, email. They're probably staggering the notices or it's not affecting your service

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
Yeah, mine's going up by $10.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Ditto. $77.95 for 150/15. :sigh:

Still $22 cheaper than Rogers, that's something I guess. :toot:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 21, 2020

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I moved back out to the boonies to my folks' place due to covid financial woes and there is only one provider worth having. The rest are somehow worse, or dial up. It's wireless line of sight internet and we are literally across the road from the tower. The conditions couldn't be any better for our connection, I can see the tower if I look out the window. The highest speed we can get is around 6mbps/1mbps, and that's when it's working. Latency is obviously very variable and can be really bad. Any kind of rain or thunderstorm and it's guaranteed to go out. Sometimes it just goes out for no discernible reason, and can be out for days at a time before a tech comes to the place or a crew goes out to whatever tower in the chain is affected. This is all to say nothing of the cost, too. Rural internet is an absolute nightmare, I can't imagine having to depend on service like what's offered out here for work. I don't imagine a satellite network would be any better.

The county made a decision last year to form some committee to look at broadband options for the area, but looking into it it just seems like they're soliciting offers from various companies to set up more wireless towers, with similar speeds and service rather than investing in any kind of infrastructure that will offer stability or higher speeds.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
If you’re literally across the road from the tower there’s lots of equipment options that could deliver 100/20 service. Sounds like you got a bum isp.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Nitr0 posted:

If you’re literally across the road from the tower there’s lots of equipment options that could deliver 100/20 service. Sounds like you got a bum isp.

Wouldn't surprise me. They got bought out by Rogers a few years ago and I think all of their wireless customers are just grandfathered in at whatever plans there were then.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

While my random packet loss is no longer a problem, Shaw is now blackholing any and all bittorrent traffic regardless of origin, content, or tracker. Even perfectly legitimate traffic such as downloading actual Linux ISOs gets to about 20 kB/s and then immediately gets cut off.

gently caress you, Shaw. gently caress you and your stupid net neutrality denying monopolistic bullshit. I hope your entire company gets ripped apart.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Who the hell is torrenting without a VPN in this day and age?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Shaw doesn't do any traffic management on specific programs or protocols. What's more likely is that you're running into node or hubsite congestion, which someone can look up for you.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Kazinsal posted:

While my random packet loss is no longer a problem, Shaw is now blackholing any and all bittorrent traffic regardless of origin, content, or tracker. Even perfectly legitimate traffic such as downloading actual Linux ISOs gets to about 20 kB/s and then immediately gets cut off.

gently caress you, Shaw. gently caress you and your stupid net neutrality denying monopolistic bullshit. I hope your entire company gets ripped apart.

Shaw isn’t black holing your torrent traffic lol

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Is TekSavvy still a good option if I’m fed up with Shaw in BC?

Been trying to get a Shaw supervisor to call me back for 27 days now. I’m up to eleven calls totalling over five hours on the phone plus a half hour of web chat and still no callback. Rapidly reaching the point of being fed up enough to just drop the modem off at the local office and tell them to cancel my services.

Telus seems to be as bad or worse according to colleagues at work/etc. Prices look outrageous and they’re all multi-year contracts too.

Internet access in Canada is the loving worst. :sigh:

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Kazinsal posted:

IDK at this point it seems like maybe your computer is just a giant piece of poo poo.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Shaw Torrent.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

BGrifter posted:

Is TekSavvy still a good option if I’m fed up with Shaw in BC?

Been trying to get a Shaw supervisor to call me back for 27 days now. I’m up to eleven calls totalling over five hours on the phone plus a half hour of web chat and still no callback. Rapidly reaching the point of being fed up enough to just drop the modem off at the local office and tell them to cancel my services.

Telus seems to be as bad or worse according to colleagues at work/etc. Prices look outrageous and they’re all multi-year contracts too.

Internet access in Canada is the loving worst. :sigh:

TekSavvy will ride on the same network as Shaw.

What problem are you trying to solve with Shaw? If you have an issue with your lines between the house and the node then switching to Teksavvy won't fix anything. Once you switch and have the same problem then Teksavvy will have to contact Shaw and wait for them to book it in and fix it.

If you're annoyed over billing or whatever then Teksavvy would be fine.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kazinsal posted:

In the off chance you are using a VPN, is it maybe connecting with a weird protocol? My VPN on the auto setting was attempting to connect via IKEv2, and I had to manually set it to UDP to get fast speeds.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Kazinsal posted:

your bittorrent client doesn't actually have an upload/download limit set to anything super low, right?

If you were being a jerk and capped your upload to 1kb/s, that does prevent the client from having the bandwidth to request extra chunks to be downloaded

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Nitr0 posted:

If you're annoyed over billing or whatever then Teksavvy would be fine.

Yep, it’s billing. They doubled my bill in April, stopped sending me paper bills, and switched my account to eBill without notification or permission. Oh and the email they switched it to is the Shaw.ca email I’ve been telling them for five years I do not use.

Had a rather unpleasant surprise when I logged into my account end of July after paying my normal bill for the last four months. Been trying to get ahold of a supervisor to address the issue for 27 days. I’m up to my fifth promise of “a call back within 24-48 hours”.

So I’m suddenly a lot more interested in TekSavvy’s offerings. The Shaw network is fantastic, it’s just their godawful customer service and scammy predatory contract plans that are driving me off.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hanlon's razor. I'm an immense loving idiot and my recent myriad issues with Shaw made me jump to blaming them after having the same result in multiple torrent clients.

My NAS crapped out and put itself into read-only mode. qBittorrent would start downloading, get about 64 megs of data downloaded, then try to move it to the NAS, fail, and stall the torrent.

I'm going to go walk off into the forest forever and become a hermit out of shame

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kazinsal posted:

Hanlon's razor. I'm an immense loving idiot and my recent myriad issues with Shaw made me jump to blaming them after having the same result in multiple torrent clients.

My NAS crapped out and put itself into read-only mode. qBittorrent would start downloading, get about 64 megs of data downloaded, then try to move it to the NAS, fail, and stall the torrent.

I'm going to go walk off into the forest forever and become a hermit out of shame

My son, feel no shame. The spark-box is at fault.

Every warrior or shamaness has once wanted to punt their learning machine into the Pit of Gone, for they vex us.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

zergstain posted:

Who the hell is torrenting without a VPN in this day and age?
Hollywood can still send notifications to VPN providers, ask me how.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Chris Knight posted:

how

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

Do you work for a VPN provider? Because if yours is forwarding notifications to you, then maybe you want to get one that doesn't keep the logs necessary to tie activity from your IP address to your account.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

zergstain posted:

Do you work for a VPN provider? Because if yours is forwarding notifications to you, then maybe you want to get one that doesn't keep the logs necessary to tie activity from your IP address to your account.

Express VPN it is.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Nobody is talking about how TekSavvy is now able to offer gigabit speeds over Rogers cable.

Why the gently caress is the upload speed only 30 Mbps on a gigabit plan? The fastest Bell offers where I live is 50/10. For some reason Start.ca offers 50/10 for DSL here, while TekSavvy only does 25/10. They're both $60/month. What's up with that?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You can only get what Rogers or bell offers. Check their maps first, teksavvy or start might not have the correct info.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I am aware that I'm limited to what Rogers offers. I'm asking why Rogers only has 30 Mbps upload.

As for DSL, I'd have to assume that if TekSavvy doesn't list 50/10, they won't sell 50/10. But they're charging the same Start.ca does for half the download speed over DSL for some reason I can't fathom.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Faster upload needs newer versions of DOCSIS, which also means changes to equipment and channel allocation. If work-from-home becomes more normalized we might see things change, but right now providers are going to opt to allocate bandwidth for downstream uses because it allows them to advertise gigabit speeds, and the vast, vast majority of consumer traffic is based on consuming media so it's no surprise they go this route.

There's also the fact that while faster upload is possible and modern iterations are getting closer, DOCSIS isn't truly symmetrical due to the nature of the beast. It's a simplification but it's just radio over coax instead of the air. The transmitter equipment on the ISP side is much more powerful than what you've got in the modem installed in your home, and way more expensive than what a home user is going to pay.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TekSavvy only offers 150/15 where I am. Shaw offers 1000/30, but they can't even serve 300/15 without awful packet loss and disconnections. Prior to my internet going to poo poo I was considering a business package to get sweet sweet upload but that's not even a remote consideration anymore.

Telus, meanwhile, is still arguing with the municipal government over who pays for what for a PureFibre deployment, so I guess the only way to get functional internet here is to move.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kazinsal posted:

Shaw offers 1000/30, but they can't even serve 300/15 without awful packet loss and disconnections.

This is again, just your system.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Also, Rogers had 1000/50 and lowered it to 1000/30, a few years ago.

The only places you're getting decent upload are GPON and dedicated fibre, and symmetrical microwave links

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is again, just your system.

When it happens I lose connectivity and experience 50+% packet loss on wired and wireless devices no matter what the configuration is.

I'm sure it's just my system, yes, all five of them experiencing the same problem at the same time for the same duration over two different kinds of access media, definitely.