Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

HungryMedusa posted:

Is it real dumb for me to upgrade from iphone X to an 11 Pro Max right now? They are $300 off if I do monthly payments through ATT. Or should I wait for the 12 pro max?

Main things I want - bigger screen for my old eyes, more storage because I am dumb and bought the 64gb, and to pass the X down to my kid. Kid has a workable SE and can wait.

Is 5G something you think you want? If yes, then wait. If not, then I see no reason not to. The 11 Pro Max is going to be plenty of phone for a long time if you ignore the lack of 5G support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah I don't think I care about 5G. I don't really do anything that requires more speed or connectivity. I lightly browse the web and play games, and not even that much. I mostly want a bigger screen, and more cameras would be fun. As would more storage for the 10,000 cat photos I take.

I will probably pull the trigger on the 11 Pro Max.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
It sucks because new phones are certainly close , but I’ll def emphasize the current pro and pro max are really good phones. Cameras, video quality, screens are all for sure top notch.

So hey, even in the worst case that you buy right before the new iPhone , I honestly can’t see them aging that badly. And worst case you can always trade up in some capacity in a year or so.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm looking for a new phone. Prefer android and to pay $100-$400. Can pay more if there's some crazy intersection of wants. My current phone is a galaxy avant from 2013 that I paid $100 for and flashed to tmo (tmo was selling it for $200). It mostly works fine but it's stuck on kitkat which sucks and locks me out of lots of applications. The camera is also trash on it, but any modern phone's camera is good enough for me.

I mostly use my phone to browse instagram/for messaging/occasional web browsing and chess problems. I also use it for work.

I was looking at used pixel 3a/3a xl as it seems to be "enough" for my needs. My priorities are battery life (at least 1 full day of use, more is better), durability (don't want it break when I inevitably drop it from 6 feet up onto pavement, also don't want any kind of protector/etc), fitting in my pocket, os updates, and cost. The 3a seems to be good enough in all of those categories with guaranteed os upgrades, but I'm wide open to suggestions because my price range is fairly broad and my requirements are fairly low in terms of hardware.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Khorne posted:

I'm looking for a new phone. Prefer android and to pay $100-$400. Can pay more if there's some crazy intersection of wants. My current phone is a galaxy avant from 2013 that I paid $100 for and flashed to tmo (tmo was selling it for $200). It mostly works fine but it's stuck on kitkat which sucks and locks me out of lots of applications. The camera is also trash on it, but any modern phone's camera is good enough for me.

I mostly use my phone to browse instagram/for messaging/occasional web browsing and chess problems. I also use it for work.

I was looking at used pixel 3a/3a xl as it seems to be "enough" for my needs. My priorities are battery life (at least 1 full day of use, more is better), durability (don't want it break when I inevitably drop it from 6 feet up onto pavement, also don't want any kind of protector/etc), fitting in my pocket, os updates, and cost. The 3a seems to be good enough in all of those categories with guaranteed os upgrades, but I'm wide open to suggestions because my price range is fairly broad and my requirements are fairly low in terms of hardware.

The Pixel 4a is launching today, most likely. 6GB RAM/128GB storage. MSRP $349, it's definitely worth purchasing over a 3a unless you're able to get a used 3a for $150 or less.

If you really want a fuckoff big battery and don't care about the much nicer camera / OS experience on the Pixel 4a, the Moto G Power is cheap and has a huge battery.

Edit: Ugh, it looks like the 4a isn't shipping until Aug 20. That sucks. I was expecting they'd be shipping today, given that the phones themselves have already been built and in storage since April or May.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 3, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Edit: Ugh, it looks like the 4a isn't shipping until Aug 20. That sucks. I was expecting they'd be shipping today, given that the phones themselves have already been built and in storage since April or May.
I'm not in a rush. I've been procrastinating buying a new phone for a few years now. I'll check out moto again. I sort of liked what they offered before.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Khorne posted:

I'm not in a rush. I've been procrastinating buying a new phone for a few years now. I'll check out moto again. I sort of liked what they offered before.

I'm in the same boat. The n6p finally holds its charge only for a few hours now and it's time to move on. I thought about the Moto G power, but then ATT just did some fuckery with (potential lack of) VoLTE support, so I preordered the 4a because I'd rather not stress out about this. We'll see how hard I'll regret this decision.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
holy poo poo my last post in this thread was about my trusty nokia dumbphone back in 2009, what a loving rush, thank you all so much for keeping this going

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I was also waiting for the Pixel 4a news today since my original Pixel is getting long in the tooth. Not only is the 4a not shipping until late August, they also announced the 4a 5G and the 5 will release in October! Way too close to get a non-5G ready phone right now. Blah!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
5g is worthless, if that's the main thing holding you back

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

sourdough posted:

5g is worthless, if that's the main thing holding you back

Can you expound on this?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

owl_pellet posted:

Can you expound on this?

It makes the phones a good deal more expensive, and you either get similar coverage as LTE but slightly faster (partly due to lowering congestion so will probably improve LTE speeds as a side effect too) or really fast speeds but signal is blocked by your hand. It doesn't provide any real world benefit and has actual costs.

In a few years, maybe there'll be a reason to care once the kinks are worked out, it's deployed widely, there are real world uses for it, and modems/phones have improved to take advantage of it, but we're not there yet.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 3, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like 5G if it didn't mean I would blow through my monthly cap (since no unlimited plans in the US are actually unlimited) in a minute.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I’ve been on AT&T forever and am currently paying them $98 or so per month for my (old) unlimited data plan and some irrelevant amount of rollover minutes that I never use all of, which should me a clue how old that plan is. I was using about 4 GB of cell data pre-COVID and am down to around 1 GB, maybe 2 now that I don’t really leave the house much.

I have an iPhone X. I’m looking at switching to Comcast Mobile (I’m on Comcast for cable/WiFi now). The device will transfer. Anything I should know that would prevent me from moving over? General reviews look pretty good and I’d cut my bill basically in half even if I went unlimited there too. I’ve never had Verizon or a MVNO, obviously. I’m figuring on working from home primarily for the next 6-12 months or more, so I’m guessing I can go by the gig and be fine for now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IllegallySober posted:

I’ve been on AT&T forever and am currently paying them $98 or so per month for my (old) unlimited data plan and some irrelevant amount of rollover minutes that I never use all of, which should me a clue how old that plan is. I was using about 4 GB of cell data pre-COVID and am down to around 1 GB, maybe 2 now that I don’t really leave the house much.

I have an iPhone X. I’m looking at switching to Comcast Mobile (I’m on Comcast for cable/WiFi now). The device will transfer. Anything I should know that would prevent me from moving over? General reviews look pretty good and I’d cut my bill basically in half even if I went unlimited there too. I’ve never had Verizon or a MVNO, obviously. I’m figuring on working from home primarily for the next 6-12 months or more, so I’m guessing I can go by the gig and be fine for now.

Should be fine, just be prepared for what I assume is bad customer service by Comcast.

Data speeds can be throttled before Verizon customers get throttled, although not sure on the by the gig plans (in theory they want you using the data on those). That said, yeah, if you’re work at home now and almost always on Wi-Fi, go for it, you’ll mostly be not using the service so might as well go cheap.

Also worth mentioning , it effectively locks you into Comcast (hence why it’s cheap) , so if they hack your cable bill up that’s something else to worry about.

Worst case if you either don’t like it, need more data or need to switch cable providers is you switch to ATT, VZ or T-Mobile later.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Duckman2008 posted:

Should be fine, just be prepared for what I assume is bad customer service by Comcast.

Data speeds can be throttled before Verizon customers get throttled, although not sure on the by the gig plans (in theory they want you using the data on those). That said, yeah, if you’re work at home now and almost always on Wi-Fi, go for it, you’ll mostly be not using the service so might as well go cheap.

Also worth mentioning , it effectively locks you into Comcast (hence why it’s cheap) , so if they hack your cable bill up that’s something else to worry about.

Worst case if you either don’t like it, need more data or need to switch cable providers is you switch to ATT, VZ or T-Mobile later.

Cool, this is really helpful. Thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll pull the trigger then. Between being WFH and also being able to hop on Comcast WiFi anywhere I suspect I’ll be covered pretty well- and like you said even if it winds up terrible I can always go back to one of the big carriers or try a different MVNO since there’s no contract.

Edit: that switchover couldn’t have been much easier. 20 minutes of my time (with a bunch of extra questions on my part) and I’m getting $50 from them to move over in 90 days or so. Good stuff.

Referee fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 5, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I've been on the iPhone XR train for 2 years now and I'm ready to head back to Android land. I would love the new Note and am contemplating a trade in, but all I really want is a decent Android phone with a built in stylus. Is it really just the Note and LG Stylo that offers this? I'm hoping that maybe last year's Note would go on sale for Black Friday or something because I still have 3 months of a "free" XR on Verizon that I'd have to pay back now if I trade it in.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

I've been on the iPhone XR train for 2 years now and I'm ready to head back to Android land. I would love the new Note and am contemplating a trade in, but all I really want is a decent Android phone with a built in stylus. Is it really just the Note and LG Stylo that offers this? I'm hoping that maybe last year's Note would go on sale for Black Friday or something because I still have 3 months of a "free" XR on Verizon that I'd have to pay back now if I trade it in.

First off, def don’t get the Stylo. It’s a cheap piece of poo poo and a LG phone.

Most phones don’t do the stylus anymore because it’s def niche at this point. If you want it, great , but not a lot of phones will have it.

Note series is absolutely the way to go. The Note 20 is on BOGO, I don’t think their is a trade in currently. Note 10 isn’t currently on promo, but I wouldn’t be surprised with a promo to clear inventory around Black Friday. Although who knows.

Looks like it won’t kill you to wait a month or two. I would tread water and check the Verizon website twice a month for now, look for a deal on either the Note 20 or Note 10.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

First off, def don’t get the Stylo. It’s a cheap piece of poo poo and a LG phone.

Most phones don’t do the stylus anymore because it’s def niche at this point. If you want it, great , but not a lot of phones will have it.

Note series is absolutely the way to go. The Note 20 is on BOGO, I don’t think their is a trade in currently. Note 10 isn’t currently on promo, but I wouldn’t be surprised with a promo to clear inventory around Black Friday. Although who knows.

Looks like it won’t kill you to wait a month or two. I would tread water and check the Verizon website twice a month for now, look for a deal on either the Note 20 or Note 10.

Thanks. I can wait a bit longer for a better deal. The best I’ve been able to get for the Note20 Ultra was around $832 with trade in of the XR and an employee discount. Still contemplating that one but if I could get a Note 10+ for much less around Black Friday I’m sure it would be fine.

Will keep checking Verizon’s site.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Who here knows a thing or three about the latest batch of phones from the Samsung Galaxy S series line? Trying to figure out what's the best one to get since there's about 6(?) different versions spread out between the S10 and S20 models.

The device i'm currently rocking is the Galaxy S8; reason for upgrading is because the thing overheats too easily when using any type of mobile case charger, or just in general when i'm using multiple apps/bluetooth/etc. From what i've heard it seems like the overheating is something common with this family of phones for the mid-family models due to a design flaw (S4-S8+), was wondering if it's still the case with something like an S10-S20? On a related note, if I were to go with the S20 model for example, what's the main differences between the S20, S20+ and S20 Ultra? I'm not much of a tech spec guy so all the number breakdowns between the models on wikipedia seem like jargon to me.

If it helps things out, outside of calls I mainly use my phone for media like streaming video, connecting with bluetooth devices and playing that pokemon go game a lot because i'm a huge dork. I guess the phone that best helps me do these things is the one i'm willing to shell out for!

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I don't see Mint or other MVNOs recommended too frequently. What are the main negatives about them?

I'm currently on a T-Mobile family plan for $80 a month (two phones, unlimited calls/text/data).

Considering switching to Mint's 12-month 8gb plan for ($20 x 2 =) $40 a month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tortilla Maker posted:

I don't see Mint or other MVNOs recommended too frequently. What are the main negatives about them?

I'm currently on a T-Mobile family plan for $80 a month (two phones, unlimited calls/text/data).

Considering switching to Mint's 12-month 8gb plan for ($20 x 2 =) $40 a month.

Can’t speak on Mint specifically, but it’s mostly you gotta read the fine print. They can be fine, but you can run into the following :

-throttling when towers are congested
-caps on max data speeds
-overall lower priority than postpaid , IE your coverage may not be as good
-non existent customer service
-for sure, rarely are there phone discounts

For people here who are pretty tech savvy, the above potential downsides don’t necessarily mean “don’t switch.” It’s more, read the fine print and make sure you know the carrier’s policies. Not all do stuff like limiting data speeds, so mileage will simply vary.

Worst case if you don’t like Mint, you can always switch back to T-Mobile , just not sure if you are on a grandfathered plan or not.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I think I will go with the S20+ model! One of my coworkers has that and is very pleased with its performance so far.

Browsing the site I noticed Samsung is pushing flip-model smartphones. Dont think I'll be getting one of those TBH, but how are they doing in terms of specs? Seems like you would have to sacrifice a bit of horsepower to get the folding aspect to work out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Parrotine posted:

I think I will go with the S20+ model! One of my coworkers has that and is very pleased with its performance so far.

Browsing the site I noticed Samsung is pushing flip-model smartphones. Dont think I'll be getting one of those TBH, but how are they doing in terms of specs? Seems like you would have to sacrifice a bit of horsepower to get the folding aspect to work out.

They’re more just extremely fragile. Folding screens have come a long way, but the tech isn’t there yet for real world day to day usage.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Parrotine posted:

Why would it "sacrifice a bit of horsepower"? The foldable Galaxies have had fairly high-end SoCs. It's not like they take up much extra room.

Besides the fragility issues, foldable phones tend to sacrifice battery capacity - the hinge mechanism takes up quite a bit of space. And, when they're folded, they're really, really thick. The Z Flip is 17mm folded up - that's chunkier than an old-school hard drive based iPod.

Is there a reason you're only looking at Samsungs? They're usually not great value for money, they've been getting scummier with things like forced ads, and it doesn't sound like you're doing anything particularly demanding.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm looking to switch away from what I currently have and end up with at least the same or slightly better. Currently, I've got an LG X Power that I've had for around 2.5 years, and it was on Virgin Mobile till it got bought out by Boost Mobile and turned into that. The phone itself is ok for my uses, but I never liked how lovely the camera(s) were at taking not-blurry photos, and these days, it tends to lose signal if I step inside any building. For the most part, the signal loss is the most annoying bit. I'm allowed to listen to whatever on bluetooth headphones at work, but can only get signal if I set the phone on this one specific shelf in the middle of the department, and even then it's super slow to load anything and the signal will randomly cut out and require me to restart the phone to pick it back up. It sucks.

As for what I'm looking for to replace it, the wife and I are considering getting a plan with Straight Talk, since they have a deal where two lines can get unlimited data for $90/month, which is what the wife and I pay together anyway. Phone-wise, I'm looking for an Android phone in the $100-$200 range, maybe a Samsung, but another LG wouldn't be too bad. I have heard things about Samsung sneaking in ads literally wherever they can. I'm open to other phone brands, if anyone wants to make a case for something specific. Main wants are improved battery life(at least a full day per charge), and then RAM, CPU, camera, storage, in roughly that order. I liked the X Power. My main gripes were that there's literally exactly 1 phone case for it, and after having it for a few years, the battery is starting to suffer, but I can't remove it. Along with that, I've noticed the phone starts to really slow down every couple of days unless I restart it. It's almost like something has a memory leak or something. I'm not sure on that issue.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
For a full day per charge and a ton of specs, your only option might be some kind of chinaphone. The moto g power is probably 250ish with tax?

I have a Umidigi F1 that is/was 100 on aliexpress / 150 on Amazon US and it routinely idles for multiple days and does at least a full day of Pokemon Go.

How much data do you actually use? ~50/line is not really what I'd call cheap and you could probably get much better.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 19, 2020

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Battery is really the only big thing for me just because I'm typically out most of the day. I just don't want to have to worry about it running low right around dinner time or anything. For the rest, i just want around what I've got now or slightly better, not like, bleeding edge or anything. Sorry if i seemed like i was demanding a ton in my last post or anything.

To answer the data question, i typically use around 5gb per month on my own. However, the wife is currently on a family plan through Verizon with her family, and they all split some ridiculous low amount of data between the lot of them. I think it's like 15gb between 5 people. I don't know how much data she uses, but I'd wager it'd probably at least be close to the same as me if she had be own data, and didn't ration with 4 other people.

What would you recommend for a plan? Keeping in mind we're in Buffalo, NY, if that matters or helps. We both pay $40 and $50/month as it is, so unless there's some other providerwe we never heard of, that's about what we were expecting.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

neogeo0823 posted:

What would you recommend for a plan? Keeping in mind we're in Buffalo, NY, if that matters or helps. We both pay $40 and $50/month as it is, so unless there's some other providerwe we never heard of, that's about what we were expecting.

Cricket is $90/month ($85 with autopay) for 2 lines including unlimited high speed data with 15 GB/month of hotspot and Canada/Mexico calling - video is throttled to 480p and it's on AT&T's network

They also have a plan for $70/month ($65 with autopay) for 2 lines including 10 GB high speed data

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Mint resells T-Mobile like Straight Talk does, roughly same prioritsation levels, $20/m or so for 8GB per line. Visible is low-priority unlimited everything Verizon for $25/m.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I kinda feel that part of my signal woes may have had to do with being on the Sprint network via Boost. Anecdotally, my coworkers that had Verizon-based providers all seem to be able to get signal anywhere at work, and the wife, who's got a phone directly through Verizon, gets decent signal where my phone does not.

With that in mind, I googled some providers that use Verizon's network. Total Wireless seems like a pretty OK deal? They advertise a 2 line plan with 30gb of shared data for $57/mo. Am I missing something, or does this seem pretty legit and also a good idea?

I did check out Visible as well, and it seems the $25/mo thing is only for the 1st month, then it goes up to $40/mo.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 20, 2020

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

Why would it "sacrifice a bit of horsepower"? The foldable Galaxies have had fairly high-end SoCs. It's not like they take up much extra room.

Besides the fragility issues, foldable phones tend to sacrifice battery capacity - the hinge mechanism takes up quite a bit of space. And, when they're folded, they're really, really thick. The Z Flip is 17mm folded up - that's chunkier than an old-school hard drive based iPod.

Is there a reason you're only looking at Samsungs? They're usually not great value for money, they've been getting scummier with things like forced ads, and it doesn't sound like you're doing anything particularly demanding.

Thanks for your lightning fast feedback after I already bought the thing :thumbsup:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

neogeo0823 posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I kinda feel that part of my signal woes may have had to do with being on the Sprint network via Boost. Anecdotally, my coworkers that had Verizon-based providers all seem to be able to get signal anywhere at work, and the wife, who's got a phone directly through Verizon, gets decent signal where my phone does not.

With that in mind, I googled some providers that use Verizon's network. Total Wireless seems like a pretty OK deal? They advertise a 2 line plan with 30gb of shared data for $57/mo. Am I missing something, or does this seem pretty legit and also a good idea?

I did check out Visible as well, and it seems the $25/mo thing is only for the 1st month, then it goes up to $40/mo.

You will always be de prioritized on Verizon unless you are explicitly on a Verizon postpaid plan directly. All MVNOs.

Visible is $25/m with party pay. Basically find a group and join it on reddit or whatever - you do not share billing or any information.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Parrotine posted:

Thanks for your lightning fast feedback after I already bought the thing :thumbsup:

I apologize for your negative Posting Experience and the fact that I was outside the Service Agreement-mandated response time for free advice.

If you would like to speak to my posting manager the report button is available below my post.

Have a nice day!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Verizon has more towers and uses a lower frequency than Sprint (prior to T-Mobile), so that’s why Verizon has better better coverage. You’ll see a difference , as noted above, on a VZ MNVO though.

Sprint customers all get T-Mobile coverage now. Boost got sold to Dish (lol) , and I assumed they would also get T-Mobile coverage with the Dish T-Mobile agreement, but honestly I don’t know for sure. That said, T-Mobile is probably better than sprint, only question is whether your phone supports their low band, and their low band is in your area.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a phone that has a speaker that isn't pure crap? I'm not even sure that's possible given the form factor but if I could find a phone with a speaker (and headphone jack) that was good enough for something like podcasts that worked at decent volumes more than a few feet away and aligned just right I'd be pretty happy with that phone for life. Or at least the foreseeable future.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Moto Z with the Sound Boost mod?
https://www.androidcentral.com/moto-mods

I find my Pixel 2 just fine in bed or at my desk, but hook up my Bluetooth speaker when doing the dishes. I guess it depends on the environment.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nessin posted:

Is there a phone that has a speaker that isn't pure crap? I'm not even sure that's possible given the form factor but if I could find a phone with a speaker (and headphone jack) that was good enough for something like podcasts that worked at decent volumes more than a few feet away and aligned just right I'd be pretty happy with that phone for life. Or at least the foreseeable future.

Cast to your Nest Mini, op.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

Can I recommend a Bluetooth speaker ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have this and it's great. There are slightly newer and more expensive versions out there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016XTADG2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_iohqFbR61VGYE

Literally the only thing I don't like is just tapping the Bluetooth button puts it into pairing and I don't know how to get out of it without restarting the speaker. I do it when not looking sometimes. I wish I had to hold it down for a couple of seconds instead.