Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
great first episode, I thought it went a little too big too soon (them being slowly chased by the sheriff is infinitely more menacing than them getting into a literal car chase gunfight with a redneck death squad so tonally it just felt a little weird) but then again the first twenty pages of Mountains of Madness is Lovecraft dryly reciting the travel logistics so maybe they wanted to assure the audience that things are actually gonna happen on this show

banned from Starbucks posted:

The cop that chased them to the train tracks was one of the ones in the woods/cabin? I thought he stopped at the tracks? Did he radio the other cops ahead and then join them? Was kinda confusing how they edited that part. Is that how he knew his name?

my girlfriend was annoyed that this was played as a tense getaway when obviously the cop was going to arrest or try to murder them regardless of if he could legally do so, and then was pleasantly surprised when that's exactly what happens a minute later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Wolfsheim posted:

then again the first twenty pages of Mountains of Madness is Lovecraft dryly reciting the travel logistics so maybe they wanted to assure the audience that things are actually gonna happen on this show

I for one am disappointed we didn't get to hear about the strange Asian paintings of Nicholas Roerich

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

^^^ They look very similar.

I wonder if we have ourselves a Shadow Over Innsmouth situation with Atticus's heritage :tinfoil:

Letitia's brother mentioned a "witch" was killed for fornicating with the devil who appeared to her a negro man. This is a reference to his mother's family. He wasn't the devil.

Some notes: Lovecraft and Kafka share a lot of DNA in that they were products of their times, germ theory was real but antibiotics were not, so sanitary education was serve. The bar dude getting a bj out back was a reference to James Baldwin right? That speech was good, shame about the audience.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Collateral posted:

The bar dude getting a bj out back was a reference to James Baldwin right? That speech was good, shame about the audience.

Props to that dude for quickest recovery from Fellatio Interrupto I've ever seen

on TV I mean

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've been noticing a lot of shows I watch have strong civil rights plots, to the point where I already knew what was going to happen for the first 40 minutes of the episode. Black people get glared at, it escalates to threats against them, then violence, then racist cop interactions, seen it all before in media... or so I thought. Because of this show I learned what "Sundown Towns" were. There's always more to learn about racism and it's always worse.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
In hindsight the monsters showing up and eating all the cops was pretty cathartic since in real life they, you know, rarely face any serious consequences for their horrible racist actions. It's neat that that statement could apply to cops back then right up to cops of today.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ceramic Shot posted:

I've seen similar comments about Robert E. Howard floating around, but would just like to add that he was a lot worse than I think a lot of people seem to realize too, at least if his correspondence with Lovecraft is anything to go by. I've been reading A Means to Freedom, the collection of Howard/Lovecraft correspondence, and holy poo poo is it (unsurprisingly) a sty of vileness at times. As prejudiced as those times were, I can't help but put Howard into the category of "racist even for his generation." Spoilered for some of the most ugly bare-faced racism you'll hopefully read for a while. All of the following quotes are from Robert E. Howard, from around the year 1931:

Yikeseroni! They have some interesting conversations about the relative merits of civilization vs. barbarism and epistemology, at least, but the whole volume is kind of interwoven with this shared sense of fascistic racial destiny garbage.
drat... even I'm guilty of forgetting how bad it was. For anyone who was unaware and thought, like I did, he got more tolerant later on: Robert E Howard died in 1936. Lovecraft in 37. Bloody sad as I still love some of the old stuff like Flashman, Conan, Solomon Kane and the like. Still boggles the mind why it was (and is) so prevalent and pervasive. You'd think someone who was an artistic outsider would be more naturally sympathetic to others that society deemed different and unfit.

Clipperton posted:

OTOH, while a prodigious letter writer, Lovecraft never once used his correspondence to groom teens
Wait..what? <looks at the internet> Goddamit world. I know I haven't read comics in a while but still shocked I missed this. Please don't tell me if anyone found anything on Kurt Vonnegut.

Wolfsheim posted:

great first episode, I thought it went a little too big too soon (them being slowly chased by the sheriff is infinitely more menacing than them getting into a literal car chase gunfight with a redneck death squad so tonally it just felt a little weird) but then again the first twenty pages of Mountains of Madness is Lovecraft dryly reciting the travel logistics so maybe they wanted to assure the audience that things are actually gonna happen on this show

my girlfriend was annoyed that this was played as a tense getaway when obviously the cop was going to arrest or try to murder them regardless of if he could legally do so, and then was pleasantly surprised when that's exactly what happens a minute later

Love the name. I was just listening to "Upstairs" not more than 5 minutes ago. To me the diner was also beautifully tense until the hillbilly chase. If someone made a realistic horror show just based on being not white in 50s america I would be so down. Like a horror version of the real life Green Book.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
HBO has put the first episode up on YouTube for free (I expect that it is region-locked):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvVmlDyJ6BA

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Alehkhs posted:

HBO has put the first episode up on YouTube for free (I expect that it is region-locked):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvVmlDyJ6BA

this is the new water-cooler show at work for me, so this makes sense. people who only talked about tv ever during Game of Thrones are watching this one and talking about it now

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Collateral posted:

The bar dude getting a bj out back was a reference to James Baldwin right? That speech was good, shame about the audience.
I mean, Baldwin was gay. I'm not sure how you get from there to back-alley blowjobs but I guess he could be? He didn't look anything like him though.

The audience for that speech decided in Baldwin's favor, incidentally. Standing ovation and everything. It's hosed up though (or at least it's always looked this way to me), because if you watch it there's a split-second when Baldwin is sitting down and everyone else is rising to their feet at once, and he's loving terrified of what these white people are about to do.

Anyway, although I have not read the book, I kinda feel like the ending of the pin-drop speech will turn out to be a pretty heavy bit of foreshadowing:

James Baldwin posted:

It is a terrible thing for an entire people to surrender to the notion that one-ninth of its population is beneath them. And until that moment, until the moment comes when we, the Americans, we, the American people, are able to accept the fact, that I have to accept, for example, that my ancestors are both white and Black. That on that continent we are trying to forge a new identity for which we need each other and that I am not a ward of America. I am not an object of missionary charity. I am one of the people who built the country–until this moment there is scarcely any hope for the American dream, because the people who are denied participation in it, by their very presence, will wreck it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm going to be so pissed if anything happens to George. He's so set up for tragedy but please show please.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

AtraMorS posted:

I mean, Baldwin was gay. I'm not sure how you get from there to back-alley blowjobs but I guess he could be? He didn't look anything like him though.

The audience for that speech decided in Baldwin's favor, incidentally. Standing ovation and everything. It's hosed up though (or at least it's always looked this way to me), because if you watch it there's a split-second when Baldwin is sitting down and everyone else is rising to their feet at once, and he's loving terrified of what these white people are about to do.

Anyway, although I have not read the book, I kinda feel like the ending of the pin-drop speech will turn out to be a pretty heavy bit of foreshadowing:

They look the similar, that's all.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I'm going to be so pissed if anything happens to George. He's so set up for tragedy but please show please.

MAJOR spoiler from the book: nothing happens to him, or to anyone else. Ruff kind of wrote himself into a corner there - when you're trying to subvert the "black guy dies first" cliche, and your whole cast are black, you can't actually kill anyone and the stakes drop to zero :v:

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Collateral posted:

Ah, okay. I didn't see it, but that ain't saying much. :)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

hamsystem posted:

In hindsight the monsters showing up and eating all the cops was pretty cathartic since in real life they, you know, rarely face any serious consequences for their horrible racist actions. It's neat that that statement could apply to cops back then right up to cops of today.

Them getting pulled out to the woods for a lynching after fleeing from another lynching was scary as gently caress. The monster rescue made you cheer for the monsters and feel less danger when they showed up.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Doltos posted:

Them getting pulled out to the woods for a lynching after fleeing from another lynching was scary as gently caress. The monster rescue made you cheer for the monsters and feel less danger when they showed up.

Yeah, I did relax when the chomping started.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I was worried about uncle George and his bad knees for a little bit. When transforming cop ate other cops face I did audibly laugh though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

hamsystem posted:

I was worried about uncle George and his bad knees for a little bit. When transforming cop ate other cops face I did audibly laugh though.
Throughout the whole episode he was raising so many death flags that I thought they were going to kill him off right away just to set the stakes for the show.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Liked that first episode alright, definitely sticking around to how this progresses.

I won’t pretend like I know much about this, and honestly I usually don’t even notice it, but for some reason the score of the first episode felt real off to me, just kinda corny, idk. Enjoyed pretty much everything else, though

Collateral posted:

lol that actor looks nothing like James Baldwin

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Yeah, on reflection, that was dumb.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Bloody sad as I still love some of the old stuff like Flashman, Conan, Solomon Kane and the like. .

The Solomon Kane stories are entertaining stories, but holy poo poo are they racist as gently caress when he describes African people.

I was listening to the podcast HBO put out, they pointed out another recreation of a famous photo (the people waiting in line being the other) that I hadn't noticed.

Someone posted it on Reddit already.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

double negative posted:

I won’t pretend like I know much about this, and honestly I usually don’t even notice it, but for some reason the score of the first episode felt real off to me, just kinda corny, idk. Enjoyed pretty much everything else, though

The dialogue is really punched up and quippy and not in a pulp way but in like a Marvel movie way or a CBS drama way. I think the most egregious was the uncle rattling off Dracula quotes a second after narrowly escaping death but almost every exchange has some reference or joke or burn and it not only feels really artificial but also makes it hard for any one character to really have a distinctive voice. It also makes for some really bad exposition, like Atticus making a shoggoth joke for no reason other than so the show can have him explain what one is to the audience right before they actually show up.

Atticus in general kind of annoys me, making him a huge nerd who just happens to be swole and badass thanks to being in the military feels too transparently like an attempt to make a traditional leading man that wouldn't be too threatening or hard to relate to for the book readers out there and it's already lead to way too much of him explaining Lovecraft references for the sake of the audience and generally making sure that everyone Gets It.

I'm sold enough on the show to watch this season unless there's some major missteps so I'm interested in seeing how it all shakes out. One thing I really appreciated about the show was that it didn't do the usual TV thing of adding a white character to a story about black Americans to avoid alienating white viewers so I'm really hoping they stick the landing with the white lady who saved them during the car chase.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I agree with your points about the dialogue. I did appreciate the moment when Atticus doesn't get smart when the cop humiliates him for being allowed a U-turn. It was really painful, but it would've been easy to have him either twist it around on the cop, action hero style, or deliver it super angrily.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I'm really enjoying this. Campy/pulpy/scary/fun. I feel bad a lot while watching it, but I can't help but love the characters. I think the super scary middle (car chase) and awkwardly triumphant end (cop cabin) was great.

But I didn't come here for that. I'm really curious about scene where Atticus goes to Uncle George's shop. At the end when Uncle George says he's going to look into Atticus' dad's theories of a secret legacy, there's a woman who laughs and then says "I'm serious don't delete that". What does that mean? The time stamp is ~14:40.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

anothergod posted:

But I didn't come here for that. I'm really curious about scene where Atticus goes to Uncle George's shop. At the end when Uncle George says he's going to look into Atticus' dad's theories of a secret legacy, there's a woman who laughs and then says "I'm serious don't delete that". What does that mean? The time stamp is ~14:40.

It's part of the song that plays

TheAardvark posted:

One thing I was surprised by was the decision to play blatantly out-of-era music on the soundtrack, specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-8qrzg-vgQ

(It confused me at first as well)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

First episode was great. I’m assuming someone from the mansion controlled the monsters. Interested to see where this goes, but hope they keep a lot of the focus on the racism of that period. So many people seem to gloss over exactly how terrible that time period was for black people.

Is this supposed to be a long running show, or just one and done?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MishaGreen/status/1297594967402020866

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Watched ep. 1 last night, I howled at the cop keeping his gun trained on Tic and Leti while the sheriff next to turns into a literal monster, who then murders him. That’s a serious commitment to racism.

I’m less stoked that, like almost every other drat genre franchise, the main characters are only relevant because of their parentage.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The way Courtney B Vance tells the one cop that he might want to shoot the other may just be my favorite line reading this year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

qirex posted:

I’m less stoked that, like almost every other drat genre franchise, the main characters are only relevant because of their parentage.

Yeah hero stories are trite with the predestination plot lines. Star Wars went both ways with it and pissed off all their fans so go figure.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

When the heck do the episodes go up anyway?

e: apparently now (well, probably at 6 Pacific)

Oh good, some sort of wicker person/may day thing. That always works out well for everyone

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 24, 2020

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Well, uh, that was quite the second episode.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
A lot happened!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I don't know how expected the show to go, but that certainly wasn't it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I lost track of the time and though we were at the ending more times than Return of the King.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Episode two spoilers so did Uncle actually die? I'm almost certain the spoiler reel thing at the end of episode one had scenes with him in them that weren't in this episode, but since we already had a "dream/doppelganger" thing happen, uhh? Biting my nails here.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Gonna get a lot of mileage out of this image.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Rappaport posted:

Episode two spoilers so did Uncle actually die? I'm almost certain the spoiler reel thing at the end of episode one had scenes with him in them that weren't in this episode, but since we already had a "dream/doppelganger" thing happen, uhh? Biting my nails here.

Episode 2 I feel like they foreshadowed his death so hard last episode that I was surprised he didn’t die then. So I think he’s gone which is too bad because the actor was great. Show seems pretty heavy on visions/dream sequences so he might show up again at some point though.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Episode 2 realization about Episode 1: Oh poo poo George thought the note Atticus got wasn't "hosed off to Ardham" but was "I'm not your real dad, George is", that's why he reacted with concern and alarm on account of Montrose being gone for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I mean LOL at the Jeffersons theme but it's another distracting instance of non-period music (he types, over=concerned about immersion in this show about wizards and monsters).

I'm interested to see The Dag from Fury Road in something else, but I'm not sure why they went with the [WARNING--BOOK ISSUES:] gender swap for Braithewhite the younger when it added one more complication.