Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Meatgrinder posted:

The New Legends of Monkey is certainly ok. Its esthetic, short episodes, explicit and simple 'moral lessons' and the sort of harmless fighting scenes remind me of kid shows like Power Rangers. It's basically an action adventure in a 'Journey to the West' setting that stays neatly in its lane the first season, but really leans into the tongue-in-cheek humor in the second season. Enjoyable but if you binge it, it becomes long stretches of more of the same.

The music, aesthetic, set pieces, the campy factor, etc are all exactly what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The music, aesthetic, set pieces, the campy factor, etc are all exactly what I wanted.

Both finales got surprisingly emotional as well, without losing their sense of stupid fun. Hopefully they'll be able to wrap things up with a third season.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just finished up Itaewon Class (I think I originally saw it mentioned in this thread) and really liked it overall. It was the first kdrama that I've finished and I'm curious about others that are on Netflix. I tried watching Stranger a while back and found it too slow. Are there any other kdramas that have similar themes of social justice and redemption delivered with verve like Itaewon?

I searched and found that there was a korean tv thread, but it was archived and I can't see if there was a successor.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 16, 2020

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Finished Upload .its...ok.the cast is good.its just so...bland.sometimes they toy with some cool insights and jokes into the lovely dystopia but never commit.theres something great in the setting but they never fully explore it.

Started Undone.its pretty loving great.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
We finally started watching For All Mankind. Part of me hopes that this alternative universe space program leads to someone creating cylons.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chas McGill posted:

Just finished up Itaewon Class (I think I originally saw it mentioned in this thread) and really liked it overall. It was the first kdrama that I've finished and I'm curious about others that are on Netflix. I tried watching Stranger a while back and found it too slow. Are there any other kdramas that have similar themes of social justice and redemption delivered with verve like Itaewon?

I searched and found that there was a korean tv thread, but it was archived and I can't see if there was a successor.

I watched Crash Landed On You and it had some really good parts about life in DPRK but the episodes are SOOOOO LONG...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Madurai posted:

How have I become involved in Indian Matchmaking? What is happening to me?

Also, Akshay's mom is, like, A LOT

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've started and stopped the first episode like three times. I have no idea how you're getting through it, but godspeed my brave goon! :patriot:

I was just going through the recent few pages of this thread to see if anybody was talking about this. I can only watch it with my wife so I have somebody to unload my astonishment and frustration with every few minutes. It's just so drat racist. The Guyanese girl not being Indian anymore just hurt me, it felt a little like while she's willing to work with the Americans they really seemed less Indian to her unless the parents were first gen immigrants.

Anyway we only saw the first two eps last night and I'm both excited and annoyed to see how much worse it gets over this week.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jojoinnit posted:

I was just going through the recent few pages of this thread to see if anybody was talking about this. I can only watch it with my wife so I have somebody to unload my astonishment and frustration with every few minutes. It's just so drat racist. The Guyanese girl not being Indian anymore just hurt me, it felt a little like while she's willing to work with the Americans they really seemed less Indian to her unless the parents were first gen immigrants.

Anyway we only saw the first two eps last night and I'm both excited and annoyed to see how much worse it gets over this week.

Speaking of racist dating shows... I just was watching season 6 of 90 Day Fiance on Hulu and the Samoan father who won't let his daughter date any Samoans is something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

a new study bible! posted:

Yeah it was really something. I think it may be my number one. Incredible finale.

I rewatched it last month. First rewatch since the show finished airing. Definitely an amazing show. The finale was amazing. Hobart gets his white whale. Don goes off and finds himself and then makes the greatest commercial ever.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Escobarbarian posted:

For what it’s worth, I love Mr. Robot and think that scene is probably the low point of the show. It’s just a very cliched and boring scene of its type imo

drat. I made it through the first season and the last episode kinda lost me.

I tried the first episode of season 2 and my wife and I stopped it halfway through. It’s just too out there.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I stuck with Mr Robot to the end and while I don't regret it, and there were a lot of great moments, I don't blame anyone who bailed out along the way.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Just saw season 1 of Snowpiercer.

I wasn't really into it at all at first but my GF wanted to see more of it... and by the end I was into it. It got more interesting as it went along. It sort of starts slow with some sort of pointless murder mystery but then progresses into rebellion and fun stuff.

Unfortunately I think the lead sort of sucks (the dreadlocks guy), but Jennifer Connelly saves it. She also looks unreal for a 50 year old :allears:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Jennifer Connelly has been riding a coin-operated mechanical pony in my mind for 29 years and ain't about to stop.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

nwin posted:

drat. I made it through the first season and the last episode kinda lost me.

I tried the first episode of season 2 and my wife and I stopped it halfway through. It’s just too out there.

This was my exact experience.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That sucks. I love how weird it is.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I finished 11.22.63 and it was ok. Though there's a recurring character who should be entirely pointless. He only exists to tell the main character one thing. Like if he's doing what he says he's doing, then he shouldn't be hassling the main at all or part of this story. I assume the book goes into him more.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Six Feet Under chat: I'm currently mid-watch (s03e05) having previously seen s1-4 when it originally aired but missed s5 due to a channel change. Maybe I'm misremembering or I've changed, but I've realised I don't like a single person on the show. Well I'll give the baby a pass.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Pablo Bluth posted:

Six Feet Under chat: I'm currently mid-watch (s03e05) having previously seen s1-4 when it originally aired but missed s5 due to a channel change. Maybe I'm misremembering or I've changed, but I've realised I don't like a single person on the show. Well I'll give the baby a pass.

Everyone on the show was completely flawed and I can imagine binging the show could end up making everyone seem even worse.

Myself I have only watched random episodes since it originally aired and I still felt like I enjoyed the characters (I still miss them). Plus some characters did get better in the last 2 seasons, mainly Brenda if my memory serves me right. I have avoided a rewatch, because this is the one show I feel like I would end up liking less if I do rewatch it. If that happens I will have to change my user name.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Alone S5:

Sam basically didn't do poo poo in either season 1 or this season. He was just fatter than anyone else.

I'm watching through this show with a buddy and we both made the comment after S1 that we could do as well as Sam just by being fat, building a camp, and doing nothing.

Sam winning by doing that kinda makes the whole show feel pointless.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
also (Alone Season 5)

Sam left his heavily pregnant wife the first time right when she needed him, then a week after his second child was born.

Then he had basically nothing to say about any of that for over a month both times, because he was doing nothing, and didn't care. but i guess he became reddit famous so good job

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like Sam. He filmed at least 8 hours of footage a day, every day, for weeks on end and he has maybe like 30 minutes of screen time total for two seasons. Either everything he did went as planned or he has the personality of a log. Either way that seems exactly like the kind of person that can win a "live in the woods by yourself" contest.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Alone S5

he has 30 minutes of screen time because he did absolutely nothing of value in either season other than come in fat enough to survive.

dude never caught any fish or really did anything in either season. being fat is 100% more important than being able to fend for yourself but that doesn't make it fun to watch

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I agree. He really prepared more for it than anyone else!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Alone spoilers through Season 5

No one fit has won yet, so it means no one has been able to Actually Survive out there. Every winner so far has just outlasted the rest on pure starting weight. 5 seasons in a row the heaviest starting weight won the competition

they honestly need to put a weight limit on it if they want to make it a survival contest

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, I agree. He really prepared more for it than anyone else!

Yeah seriously, we're watching it too and just the other day I was saying that my first move on hearing that I would be on the show would be to just start eating like a death row inmate who's trying to explode in the chair.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Alone S5

I wanted to see Dave spear a boar or something God drat it! there's nothing interesting about a 250 lb dude sitting in a tent, neglecting his wife, child, and newborn

Also please spoiler tag this stuff. Someone randomly announced the winner of season 5 earlier and it was really lovely since I'm watching with friends

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Teenage Bounty Hunters on Netflix somehow actually works. It looked pretty cringeworthy from the trailer, but we gave it a shot and now are maybe 5 episodes in. Dumb humor and soft roasting of Bible Belt culture, but (mostly) stays away from relying on meanness or gross-out gags.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I would bet thousands of dollars that no one who comments in this thread would finish in the top 50% of any season of Alone, even if they ate nothing but butter from the moment they were cast to the moment they were shipped out

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

showbiz_liz posted:

I would bet thousands of dollars that no one who comments in this thread would finish in the top 50% of any season of Alone, even if they ate nothing but butter from the moment they were cast to the moment they were shipped out

gently caress that, I'd be out before the boat even left. Unless my ten items could be booze and drugs, I might be able to make it a couple of days then. Just burrito wrap myself up in the tarp right before I pass out and leave once sobriety took hold.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

showbiz_liz posted:

that may be true but im gonna keep eating this butter

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

showbiz_liz posted:

Oh the butter strategy was for someone who's already competent to compete. My strategy for survival in the wild is to live indoors and have pizza delivered.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I've only seen the first half of s6 of alone. What would happen if a contestant said gently caress it and started hiking out?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I've only seen the first half of s6 of alone. What would happen if a contestant said gently caress it and started hiking out?

You know, I wondered the same thing. I assume you'd get disqualified but it would be hilarious if someone just made their way to the nearest road, hitchhiked into town, and stayed at an AirBnB until they won.

It'd be worth it for an entire season of someone setting up their cameras around a small town and filming themselves trying out all of the local restaurants with the same sort of tone, though. "I'm so hungry but my usual diner isn't open. At this point I'd eat anything, even Denny's."

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
They have GPS locators and mandatory random health checks, unfortunately.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

In one season someone went down way out in the woods and they had to hike in and find them with GPS.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They lose. They can't hike/hunt past a certain point from their drop spot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

They don't have to hike out, they just have to hit a button on their GPS beacon/sat phone and S&R will be en route to pick them up and take them home.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Watching through The Reckoning on netflix now, 10 episode serial killer drama limited series.

I think these limited series small town kinda murder shows they keep putting out are my favorite thing on Netflix at this point. Like The Stranger, and The Five.

I won't speak to their quality on any kind of objective scale but drat I love me some small town murder drama.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Oh drat I forgot about The Reckoning. I want to watch that solely because of Aden Young

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

isaboo posted:

Oh drat I forgot about The Reckoning. I want to watch that solely because of Aden Young

I knew who you were talking about without knowing either him or the cast's names. He's the 50/50 main character, I'm liking it a lot. 6/10 in now.