Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Outside of speaker cables, most of blue jean's stuff is available in different colors, albeit not always with the least expensive type of cable. I ordered separate red and black balanced interconnects from them last year (I prefer color coding to labeling) and could have chosen a bunch of different colors.

Also, I've sat through numerous A/B demos for cables and tweaks. In 10 years of attending shows, I have yet to see one that produces a true A/B test. There is ALWAYS a salesman talking between takes to set expectations.

I do recall that Audio by Van Alstine had a switch box set up to let you directly A/B their different amplifiers. I can't recall if they were level-matched, though.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

qirex posted:

If you want to see a masterclass in misunderstanding digital audio in the most expensive and convoluted way possible I suggest this article.

Basically dude gets a video doorbell and it makes audio streaming stutter on his wifi. The obvious solution would be to run ethernet for stuff you don't want dropoputs on. And he kind of does:

:catstare:

:staredog:

:dogbutton:

The burden of "knowledge" indeed.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The internet is so dumb

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Is the answer “buy exact audio ripper and never think about it again,” or is the answer “download files and never think about it again.”

Or, the best answer, “don’t ever worry about this.”

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The answer is "download EAC and point it at gnudb instead of freedb."

I have a couple of albums where there is literally no way to buy a download. You buy the CD on Bandcamp and only get two tracks for download, you have to rip the CD yourself. Kinda silly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

EAC is how I did a bunch of super cheap genre compilation CDs I bought to fill out a bit of my DJ collection just in case. Owns.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Who uses optical media in tyool 2020?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I do

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I do, for the sake of collecting, restoring and maintaining vintage audio equipment and retro video game systems.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm sure there are still people who use wax cylinders as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Literally every person who thinks they still want to have the music accessible in 2025, 2030, etc.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Oh, cool opinion, you're the smart one.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Where does Topping end up on the audiophile mocking scale? Got a used A90/D90 and pretty happy with it — stayed under a grand for the set. I think after reading up on the new amplifier topologies and picking up some of the Self books...it's more for me now if the topology is technically / 'artistically' interesting and doesn't murder me on price. I think the single most expensive piece of audio equipment I've ever bought where my LCD-XCs.

Also, I was idly curious to see what people thought of USB vs. SPDIF. I've just always used SPDIF out of habit because... cable tiny, has no practical length limitation, is dirt loving cheap, and is inherently isolated. And I hate USB with the passion of a thousand suns.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Topping makes good stuff, the D90/A90 are objectively excellent. They are overkill but throwing money at solid engineering beats throwing it at snake oil.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-a90-headphone-amplifier-review.13592/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d90-balanced-usb-dac-review.10519/

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 3, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

repiv posted:

Topping makes good stuff, the D90/A90 are objectively excellent. They are overkill but throwing money at solid engineering beats throwing it at snake oil.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-a90-headphone-amplifier-review.13592/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d90-balanced-usb-dac-review.10519/

Those were what really sold it for me — looking at the D90's measurements and then realizing "Yep. This does the job and kills it dead — literally transparent." Looks nice, well-built and I love buying poo poo from people on Head-Fi who after 2-3 days are like "nah, I want something else." I am convinced that someone at Topping added the options to select between the filters on the D90 just to gently caress with people, though.

Then the A90 just followed logically for aesthetics (was originally looking at Monoprice). Maybe when I actually start going back into the office again I'll look at a Monoprice AAA amp.

I got sucked into the Schiit Multibit stuff the same time I was taking DSP for my masters' and having something "different" than a Parks-McClellan based filter was interesting to me. Not better, but different than the norm was interesting to me. I wouldn't buy it again though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Same.
I don't have a CD player in my new truck though so my use case has changed. I only listen to CDs at home now.
Eventually I'll have everything ripped to the NAS that I'm building and the CDs will just be for backup.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I kept my CDs around for a long time, as a backup. After like 5 or 6 years I got tied of the box taking up space and sold everything. Now the music lives as FLAC files on my NAS.

I only have a handful of CDs left that I've gotten since for various reasons and haven't sold yet, plus a couple of autographed albums that I'm keeping for sentimental reasons.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Literally every person who thinks they still want to have the music accessible in 2025, 2030, etc.

I've still got mp3s I downloaded from Napster, I don't think you're making quite the point you think you are.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

I kept my CDs around for a long time, as a backup. After like 5 or 6 years I got tied of the box taking up space and sold everything. Now the music lives as FLAC files on my NAS.

I only have a handful of CDs left that I've gotten since for various reasons and haven't sold yet, plus a couple of autographed albums that I'm keeping for sentimental reasons.

I plan to avoid downsizing by leaving them on display.
Also I definitely have a LOT more than a single box so I wouldn't even know where to begin.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"A box" as in "a 40x40x70cm moving box stuffed to the brim" ;)

E: and perhaps an additional 25% of that on top, in various smaller boxes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There's a few pound shops/dollar stores that sell CDs, they're all resurfaced and in new cases. Sometimes I'll pick a few up to keep in the car because it's less effort than going to a download spot and paying inevitably more money to buy it in file format and then transferring it to whatever format be it CD or putting it on a USB that looks like all the other USBs so you don't know what's on it without flicking through.

There are definitely cases where CDs are still a better choice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't remember the last time I played a CD. I have bought some at shows and immediately ripped them, but that's it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I keep my drum n bass CD wallet (mostly Knowledge Mag covermounts and a whole bunch of mixes, commercial and CD-R) in my car for times when I don’t have a cell signal. The coastal mountains are really bad for keeping Spotify going, and sometimes I don’t want an audiobook or podcast. I do have a nice solid state player, but it’s been on light duty since my company started comping my cell bill...

From running an indie record label, I can say that CDs are not big sellers. We mostly do vinyl for physical media, but CDs are more like business cards or give away merch. Oh, you bought $200USD worth of vinyl? Here’s some free EPs of bands you might also like! I literally keep a stack of my band’s EP in my messenger bag in case someone asks what we sound like. The ones in a single-fold cardboard sleeve and wrapped in plastic are inexpensive and give you a lot of room for cover art.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There are a few hard to find CDs I got rid of and wish I hadn't because the rip I made is crap by modern standards

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I have about 700+ CDs that I ripped and keep the originals in these faux-aluminum cases. The hanger thingies hold two discs.

I have two and they take up only about 1.5 cu ft.

As for the inserts/booklets, I use 5x7 photo sheets with a piece of paper in each slot. That allows me to store four sets per page. I have six of these binders.

I ditched nearly all of the jewel cases excepts for digi-packs or any special cases. I keep box sets (about a dozen) in their original boxes on a shelf.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Unreal_One posted:

I've still got mp3s I downloaded from Napster, I don't think you're making quite the point you think you are.
Same. And I lost a few tracks in a hard drive crash that are impossible to find online these days :( I have become a "two offsite backups" guy from hard experience...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Any vinyl fans in here?

https://twitter.com/NearDtMi/status/1295035782990893060?s=19

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I recently rediscovered the joys of Minidisc. It's fun ripping albums and mixtapes. MiniDisc loving owns

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I miss mine- had to move to a different country and gave em away to a goon who's hopefully having fun with them

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Minidisc is one of those almost stories. If it wasn't for Sony's publishing arm screwing over the hardware with copying limitations it could of been a real success, as it was it was a modest success.

I almost brought a HiMD player with the 1GB discs (and finally MP3 support). But then a new iPod dropped with Windows support at roughly the same price before Sony could get it to market.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I had a portable MD player/recorder back in 03 when I was in high-school. It was a Sony one that could record via SP-DIF optical and auto-detected track changes so I'd just hook it up to the hi-fi, pop in a CD and then record it to MD.

I recall reading someone mention elsewhere how wild MD could have been if it used MP3. As in if you could record multiple CDs to an MD because it transcoded to MP3 or you could just write MP3s straight to MDs with NetMD. Coulda killed CDs...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sony is a company that frequently manages to be its own worst enemy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Sony is a company that frequently manages to be its own worst enemy.

Sony still sells cameras with Memory Stick Duo/Pro Duo slots. Hell, some people considered it a big deal that the A7R IV dropped support for the format, and that camera was released in 2019.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MiniDisc rocks on a functional level, but it's true strength is looking insanely dope. What's the image/perception of SONY in Japan? I feel like the perception in the west is that they make great stuff 75% of the time but that 25% is just bonkers experiments.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Sony's solid state MP3 Walkmans are legit. No DRM, shows up as a hard drive on whatever device you hook it up to. Plays a bunch of formats. Later models have Bluetooth and wired noise cancelling earbud options. I have 3, and I would get the Walkman logo tattooed on me if I was forced to get a corporate logo tattoo.

The best part is the wired WM-Port dock fits perfectly in a cupholder, so you can make your own car dock if your car's cup holders are modify-able. The downside is that after a few years of vibration, the WM-Port tends to fall apart (think iPod's 30-pin adapter), but it was fun while it lasted.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Paging KozmoNaut:

My Behringer active crossover just failed spectacularly on a conference call, creating a sound that I can only describe as an electric sheep being slaughtered.

As much as I like chunky physical knobs, I'm considering replacing it with a loudspeaker management system and I need a recommendation. Probably not Behringer....

Requirements:

- Stereo input, 4+ channel output
- Customizable crossover settings per channel
- Parametric EQ
- Onboard UI or configuration software that works with Windows and preferably isn't total poo poo
- Something like iDRAC for in-room EQ is a nice to have
- Under $500

Edit:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DriveRackPA2--dbx-driverack-pa2-complete-loudspeaker-management-system

Something like this?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 19, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dbx Driverack PA2? It has stereo high/mid/low outputs, separate parametric EQs on the input and output, room correction (dunno how well other measurement mics than their own work). Dunno how good the apps for various operating systems are.

It's slightly under $500 at Thomann right now, so I figure you can get it for the same or less in the US.

Disclaimer: I've only used the Driverack PX myself and a PA2 very briefly in a setup that was not mine to play around with too much. It seemed very nice.

E: Hah, beaten to the punch :)

E2: Gotta love that Behringer quality. I hope my QX1002USB doesn't kick the bucket in the middle of my Christmas lunch drink-a-thon karaoke night in December.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 19, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Dbx Driverack PA2? It has stereo high/mid/low outputs, separate parametric EQs on the input and output, room correction (dunno how well other measurement mics than their own work). Dunno how good the apps for various operating systems are.

It's slightly under $500 at Thomann right now, so I figure you can get it for the same or less in the US.

Disclaimer: I've only used the Driverack PX myself and a PA2 very briefly in a setup that was not mine to play around with too much. It seemed very nice.

E: Hah, beaten to the punch :)

E2: Gotta love that Behringer quality. I hope my QX1002USB doesn't kick the bucket in the middle of my Christmas lunch drink-a-thon karaoke night in December.

I literally have a DBX measurement mic on my shelf. Looks like I'm going for that :)

I bought a Yamaha MG10XU to replace my Q802USB and never looked back. It's so much nicer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Quick question: What's the difference between the PA2 and the 260? They're both under 500 on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Everything you guys are posting is cheap consumer crap for tin eared morons. Not to mention your ignorance of interconnects.