Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm aging much like a soda stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Natalie Fartman posted:

Hello let me tell you about the commune I literally grew up in

Was it the same one? The people *seemed* to be nice in that goddy sort of way, and a lot of the ideas around community and lack of materialism I can get behind, but that might have just been facade.

If you don't want to talk about it I understand but it is really interesting - if it wasn't for the fact that all communes are culty as gently caress I would be tempted.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

were you diddled?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Natalie Fartman posted:

Hello let me tell you about the commune I literally grew up in

Was it bad? It'd be a shame if it was bad. Me and my friends' fantasy is to buy land and gently caress everything else off

strictly nonreligious, mind, we had enough of that poo poo growing up

Ratjaculation posted:

were you diddled?

poo poo, ratty

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think the religion probably develops from being out on your own. Like developing your own new one. I suppose proper internet access these days might mean less of that though.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Sorry sometimes I forget the line is drawn at Maddie

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Not the same one, no I wasn't diddled and honestly my memories of it are mostly good but there's bad stuff that I have discovered since.

My parents joined when I was 5 months old, we lived there until I was 7 and then continued to live in the surrounding area but be closely tied to the place right up until I left for uni. My parents have actually moved back in for their retirement, though the community as it is now is a very different beast.

A few highlights:
It's a Catholic community, but a 'charismatic' one in that they're a weird mix of all the crazy from non denominational and baptist churches but with mass.

I don't remember, but they used to take in 'troubled' people and there was violence at times. I remember a lot of eastern Europeans and Americans came through and stayed. They were often really cool.

Most recreational activities were done together, at the order of the community leader who looks exactly like every weird evil cult leader ever in media: an older, bearded seemingly kindly man who had a way with words. We didn't get much time as a family alone when I was a kid.

I used to have to climb through my bedroom window when visiting church groups were using the main building, which was often

We had farm animals and we used to send off a cow to be slaughtered and it'd come back whole and we'd have to spend a day cutting it up and freezing it

We had prayer meetings. Every. Day.

And we had absolutely excellent musicians and live music a lot. Christian music, but really well done.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I didn't know we had the space for this sort of thing here? Liked in the States I can see having a proper cult but it must be awkward squeezing your whole way of being in between Tesco's and a housing estate.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

The Cotswolds, my friend.

It's 60 acres of land in a small village. It's also loving beautiful, a bunch of converted barns that have been well maintained. The community actually started off in Slough, the building they were in is now a hotel.

I realise I didn't really give any juicy tidbits. People have come and gone in my life that have been damaged by that place. My own siblings have some really bad memories. Mostly my oldest sister, who's trans. Among other things, she said the leader would often randomly barge into her (then his) room and make her come out and interact with the community. Privacy really was a rare thing then. My other sister has been chronically ill since she was 13 and she's said she had been asked by senior members what sin she did to cause her illness. Really hosed up. Most people there had good intentions and really lived their faith, but people are still people and they gently caress up.

The place has changed so much, the couple who founded it have left completely and it's now run by a group of elders, one of which is my dad. Some people go out to work and give their wages to the community, others live nearby and contribute in other ways. They run a retreat house for individuals and groups looking for a prayer retreat and it's such a peaceful, beautiful place to be. It's weird to talk about tbh, because I'm very much not Christian anymore and I don't feel the most welcome there for a bunch of reasons.

Natalie Fartman fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 19, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Natalie Fartman posted:

the leader would often randomly barge into her (then his) room and make her come out and interact with the community. Privacy really was a rare thing then.

This is just having a dad lol!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Actually yeah I was a dick then, sorry.

Fartman, it sounds like you were an unpaid child slave farmhand and I won't lie that it's not giving me ideas

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 19, 2020

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I've helped pick maggots out of a sheep's backside, is it those kind of ideas?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I'm sure the sheep, and maggots, were grateful

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why would the maggots be grateful? They were eating some primo rear end before they got rudely interrupted.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

she was picking them. presumably for some kind of reward?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also I saw the BBC doc about the cult/community too, and whenever I see stuff about those sorts of places and people there's always a part of me that's drawn to the simplicity of life they have. Just do your chores, sing your songs, praise Jesus and everything else is taken care of. No bills, no tax, and, honestly, probably not a whole lot of stress if you really buy into it and are content with the restrictions inherent in it.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Don't worry, when the climate famine wipes us down to a few survivors all of civilisation will be like that

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

can i be the boss of the cult instead?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Natalie Fartman posted:

The Cotswolds, my friend.

It's 60 acres of land in a small village. It's also loving beautiful, a bunch of converted barns that have been well maintained. The community actually started off in Slough, the building they were in is now a hotel.

I realise I didn't really give any juicy tidbits. People have come and gone in my life that have been damaged by that place. My own siblings have some really bad memories. Mostly my oldest sister, who's trans. Among other things, she said the leader would often randomly barge into her (then his) room and make her come out and interact with the community. Privacy really was a rare thing then. My other sister has been chronically ill since she was 13 and she's said she had been asked by senior members what sin she did to cause her illness. Really hosed up. Most people there had good intentions and really lived their faith, but people are still people and they gently caress up.

The place has changed so much, the couple who founded it have left completely and it's now run by a group of elders, one of which is my dad. Some people go out to work and give their wages to the community, others live nearby and contribute in other ways. They run a retreat house for individuals and groups looking for a prayer retreat and it's such a peaceful, beautiful place to be. It's weird to talk about tbh, because I'm very much not Christian anymore and I don't feel the most welcome there for a bunch of reasons.

Righto, this all kind of confirms my intuitions about communes and that, then. I.e.

1) no religion
2) probably not the best place to raise kids

I feel I can still go ahead with it otherwise

Ratjaculation posted:

Don't worry, when the climate famine wipes us down to a few survivors all of civilisation will be like that

yeah this is what we wanna get a headstart on

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Bardeh posted:

Also I saw the BBC doc about the cult/community too, and whenever I see stuff about those sorts of places and people there's always a part of me that's drawn to the simplicity of life they have. Just do your chores, sing your songs, praise Jesus and everything else is taken care of. No bills, no tax, and, honestly, probably not a whole lot of stress if you really buy into it and are content with the restrictions inherent in it.

Ironically, this is the psychology behind the 'Garden of Eden' story. Eden being a metaphor for "ignorance is bliss".

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

It's sunny, but yet not in the garden where I want to sit and work

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Minicurve got The Smug all As and Bs results 😁

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Work wants us back in the office at the end of October, regardless of whether or not we're more productive working from home, so that they can properly decide who should work from home.

They have talked a great deal about all the social distancing measures they're implementing which is great for anyone who drives to work! And poo poo for anyone who will be commuting in on a train jammed with people coughing on each other.

I'm genuinely considering looking for another job, but I have this sinking feeling that anything I find is going to have similarly idiotic policies.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Barry Foster posted:

Was it bad? It'd be a shame if it was bad. Me and my friends' fantasy is to buy land and gently caress everything else off

https://twitter.com/3liza/status/1296223571027488768?s=19

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Whybird posted:

Work wants us back in the office at the end of October, regardless of whether or not we're more productive working from home, so that they can properly decide who should work from home.

They have talked a great deal about all the social distancing measures they're implementing which is great for anyone who drives to work! And poo poo for anyone who will be commuting in on a train jammed with people coughing on each other.

I'm genuinely considering looking for another job, but I have this sinking feeling that anything I find is going to have similarly idiotic policies.

You can make a formal flexible working request for WFH for at least some days, quite hard for companies to turn them down if you word it correctly.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

That sounds like my life now, so idgaf

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

So like every share house ever

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Minicurve got The Smug all As and Bs results 😁

congratulations. but i thought it was all like 5 6 7 8 or whatever now?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

you're thinking of Steps again 99

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
in that case nobody would want to get a H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :newlol:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i got a D in art

but who is to say?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

what was his name?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

crispix posted:

in that case nobody would want to get a H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :newlol:

you could do worse when it comes to people named Ian Watkins

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

fridge corn posted:

So like every share house ever

But worse. Way worse.

An organised community will have a chore rota and keep to it. The one I was in catered for visiting groups so a professional kitchen was a must, cleanliness and all. Without that incentive it can get real bad as standards slip because it's not subject to inspection.

Shared houses have what, a max of maybe 5-6 people? Think of 30 people wanting a random snack between meals. Yeap.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i got a D in art

Ratjaculation posted:

were you diddled?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They were unimpressed with his grasp of the subject, his range of techniques was limited and applied unimaginatively, and he was unwilling to dig deeper into the necessary to tease out a truly expressive result.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
my student loan application ahs been approved so i'll be a student as of september 21st

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

congrats op

Verimus
Oct 1, 2009
Have you got your bundle of books held together with a belt ready? It's been a while since I was a student but I remember that being important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always