Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hooty delivering mail as an owl pellet is a bit that stays evergreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Funky Valentine posted:

Forget Amity, we need more characters interacting with Hooty, the real star of the show.

He is literally the Owl House! The title of the show! Gus was right, Hooty's totally gonna turn out to be a more important character than he lets on.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's gonna turn out Hooty is some sort of powerful elder god trapped in the house as Hooty and has long gone mad and forgotten about his past glory.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I do not like Hooty. Or the walking nose.

Or Eda that much.

I love Luz, though.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I hope they blow up the school and go completely sideways with the running plot in season two because as of right now it's easily the worst, most cliched and uninteresting part of The Owl House's premise. Literally poo poo we've seen before a hundred times, whereas Luz acting as societal outcast Eda's apprentice while they're on the run from the law would be more in line with the original promised premise and be more interesting than mean girls bully me and my friends at school.

Although Boscha owns so they better not write her out or make her nice or whatever

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ruflux posted:

I hope they blow up the school and go completely sideways with the running plot in season two because as of right now it's easily the worst, most cliched and uninteresting part of The Owl House's premise. Literally poo poo we've seen before a hundred times, whereas Luz acting as societal outcast Eda's apprentice while they're on the run from the law would be more in line with the original promised premise and be more interesting than mean girls bully me and my friends at school.

Although Boscha owns so they better not write her out or make her nice or whatever

I was starting to think I was the only one who liked Boscha. I wouldn't mind her getting a Heel Face Turn, but very much not at the expense of her character being Uber softened.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given the Quidditch riff I do wonder if the school stuff is as much trying to be 'Harry Potter but not tainted by the author's awfulness'

There is some world building going on in the background there. Does seem to be some implication the coven system with its exclusive magic is an outside imposition, or at least something the principal isn't really that enthusiastic about, and this Emperor being a distant authority but I get the feeling not going to stay that way.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Infinity Train released 3 more episodes and they are not playing around. I hope Owen and the crew get to make more seasons. Seems like they really want to continue it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ruflux posted:

They've certainly given themselves an exit ramp to do that, with Bump openly defying Imperial edict on multi-tracking students and Eda and Lilith about to finally come to irrevocable blows,.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also, it seems a contrast to Luz's introduction in the human world school where the principal advocates sending her to what sounds an awful lot like forced conversion camp, but Bump instead seems to be genuinely supportive, recognising that she's an unusual student for more than one reason but also actively eager to learn. And him and Eda being willing to put aside their differences to support that, for that matter. (Though as said, I bet he's glad for an excuse to get some leverage over Eda, at least better to have her in pissing out than out pissing in as the saying goes)

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I binged Kipo and the Wonderbeasts in about two days. Show owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZj7akBVClE

FriedDijaaj
Feb 15, 2012

quote:

Infinity Train released 3 more episodes and they are not playing around. I hope Owen and the crew get to make more seasons. Seems like they really want to continue it.

I watched Infinity Train on a whim 2 days ago because I had just signed up for HBO Go. The series was/is fantastic.

If "The Culture runs a psych ward" was the premise of a book, it'd resemble Infinity Train.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

FriedDijaaj posted:

I watched Infinity Train on a whim 2 days ago because I had just signed up for HBO Go. The series was/is fantastic.

If "The Culture runs a psych ward" was the premise of a book, it'd resemble Infinity Train.

I think it could be argued that that's basically 90% of what the Culture does as it is.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Granted, I'm sure it's the same, if not worse with all Anime, but why is it so confusing to work out which season is which with Pokemon? Some places do seasons 1-20, others do seasons 1-3 of each version and others have the three seasons of each bundled as one season and continue to count up so they are up to season 7 or something.

Then there are the movies which are confusing enough because there is no actual numbers on them, but then they decided to remake half of them with different titles so I don't know what the gently caress is going is going on.

Then there is a pandemic and Netlfix getting involved with the latest season so I can't even figure out if I'm up do date. Have there only been 12 dubbed episodes released of the Sword/Shield series?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
To answer the last one: kinda, yeah lol. I think canada is a bit ahead, but for netflix the next twelve drop on sep 11. The dub is effectively half a year behind.

The only remake movie is mewtwo strikes back evolution. The only good one in the lasr 10 years is "power of us"

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MorningMoon posted:

The only remake movie is mewtwo strikes back evolution. The only good one in the lasr 10 years is "power of us"

OK thanks. Looks like I got screwed with Australian Netflix as it's not on there and the Pokemon App I have on my Fire TV only has the first episode, but yeah, i've aquired those 12 eps so thanks.

MorningMoon posted:

Oh really? I figured "I choose you" must have been a remake of one of the early movies too considering it's basically the pilot and I knew there was controversy over the choice to relegate Misty and Brock as well have Pikachu speak, which led me to believe that they were choices that differed from an earlier version of the movie.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always get confused because the first movie's subtitle sounds like a sequel, like there was some first strike in another movie that Mewtwo was striking back from. And there's also a special called "Mewtwo Returns" that's a direct sequel to the movie.

Also the first four movies are "Pokémon: The First Movie" "Pokémon: The Movie 2000" "Pokémon 3: The Movie" and "Pokémon 4Ever". It's silly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Looten Plunder posted:

OK thanks. Looks like I got screwed with Australian Netflix as it's not on there and the Pokemon App I have on my Fire TV only has the first episode, but yeah, i've aquired those 12 eps so thanks.

Oh really? I figured "I choose you" must have been a remake of one of the early movies too considering it's basically the pilot and I knew there was controversy over the choice to relegate Misty and Brock as well have Pikachu speak, which led me to believe that they were choices that differed from an earlier version of the movie.

I choose you is a stunning 10 minute recreation of the first episode. Then its the average pokemon movie about 2 legendaries with a few season 1 scenes remade for nostalgia. Like 70% original plot.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

"Pokémon 3: The Movie"

Was... was Pokemon 3 a TV show first?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Was... was Pokemon 3 a TV show first?

No.

I think it doesn't help that iirc, anime doesn't necessarily do 'seasons' like cartoons, especially long-running stuff. I think with Pokemon, people prefer to instead divide it up by region, or rather what game that that the story is loosely adapting. (I'm not sure they ever did a full on filler region like the Orange Islands again) Similar to Dragon Ball split up into 'Sagas' of varying length.

Actually, Dragon Ball is a pretty good comparison, complete with the movies being of questionable canon (though they do tend to fit better into the show; 2000 certainly fits in with the Orange Islands arc) and generally self-contained stories.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

No.1 Special posted:

This series should be nominated for awards. Holy poo poo. Everything is coming down around Simon. The girl he likes is keeping secrets from him. The person he idolized is not who he thought they were. He abandonment seems like a fairly simple thing though, but even for a 10 year old it obviously hurt and he just never got over it.

Also, the return of Amelia and her new role and how she's connected to Hazel. But Amelia definitely tried to create a fake child using DNA of her dead boyfriend.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No.

I think it doesn't help that iirc, anime doesn't necessarily do 'seasons' like cartoons, especially long-running stuff. I think with Pokemon, people prefer to instead divide it up by region, or rather what game that that the story is loosely adapting. (I'm not sure they ever did a full on filler region like the Orange Islands again) Similar to Dragon Ball split up into 'Sagas' of varying length.

Actually, Dragon Ball is a pretty good comparison, complete with the movies being of questionable canon (though they do tend to fit better into the show; 2000 certainly fits in with the Orange Islands arc) and generally self-contained stories.

Long running series like Pokemon or DB or One Piece are fairly atypical from most anime. Most anime have their contract for some length, usually one or two calendar seasons (cour) and then they're done. If the series is popular enough they get another season/series with an appended name to reflect that it's a continuation of the previous one. Presumably it's due to difference in how their broadcast contracts works compared to the US.

Longer running series seem to operate with an indefinite contract where they're allowed to keep making episodes until the company producing it or the creators see fit to end. They're allowed to rebrand or rename as needed. Part of the terms of the contract may also be that if they officially cease production or something, even with the intent to start back up at a later date, that may violate the contract. There allso may be something related to time slots, but that might not be relevant since I only know that issue with Super Sentai/Kamen Rider and them competing (and losing) against Pokemon in the same time slot. Those types of long running series are mostly a thing of the past though. At least for long running manga adaptations, but there's still a number of series that still go week to week with production like One Piece of Detective Conan/Case Closed. They're a dying breed, of course and may possibly be the last of their kind. Pokemon is a little different as it's not an adaptation and is' probably more like another animated mainstay of Japanese TV, Sazae-san

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 21, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Are you high or something, Pokemon is too an adaptation

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Are you high or something, Pokemon is too an adaptation

It's not adapting a manga series like One Piece or Detective Conan do. I mention that in the line before. Are you high?

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 21, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, the return of Amelia and her new role and how she's connected to Hazel. But Amelia definitely tried to create a fake child using DNA of her dead boyfriend.

It's dark but I got a big laugh out of

"You're the anomaly!"
"I'm Hazel!"
"Debatable."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

TwoPair posted:

It's dark but I got a big laugh out of

"You're the anomaly!"
"I'm Hazel!"
"Debatable."

I really appreciated that line, too. Amelia may be trying to make up for her past mistakes, but she's also a thirty-year hermit who has a very objective-focused view of her life and the train. She's still quite the rear end.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I have seen something so cursed I have to share it, and the only people I know who watch both TOH and SPOP are in here, except for the people who linked me this image.

https://twitter.com/catradora_kiss/status/1296502378347339776?s=09

Senerio fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 21, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

This series should be nominated for awards. Holy poo poo.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Infinty Train good. Amelia clearly recovered from the muscle wastage involved in letting a pod carry her around everywhere. Now she's got jacked Sarah Connor arms.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Senerio posted:

I have seen something so cursed I have to share it, and the only people I know who watch both TOH and SPOP are in here, except for the people who linked me this image.

Possibly even more terrifying than the image itself is the implication that there also exists an army of Hootaks.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It does, conversely, mean there is a WRONG Hootak out there.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKJwbsx1BSc

So which third-world country was this animation outsourced to?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

MorningMoon posted:

To answer the last one: kinda, yeah lol. I think canada is a bit ahead, but for netflix the next twelve drop on sep 11. The dub is effectively half a year behind.

Mewtwo Strikes Back: Evolution is not very good (OG english dub 4evar) but the ending song is legit fantastic and far better than the movie deserves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ykA1ZUC1Y

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Matt Braly, the creator of Amphibia, is doing an AMA on reddit right now. It just started, so no answers yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/amphibia/comments/ieoe6m/im_matt_braly_creator_and_executive_producer_of/

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Senerio posted:

HOOT CASTS OUT ALL SHADOWS

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Owl House spoilers: "IT'S ME, EDALYN! IT'S ME EDALYN! IT WAS ME, ALL ALONG EDALYN!"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

That was some good Clawthorne sisters, yes, indeed.

And a good Hooty ep, as well. Seems like there's a lot left to tie up in one episode.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Hooty is... immensely powerful? For being 20% mucous and all.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hooty could easily solve every problem in the show on his own.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Glory Be to Hoot Prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく