Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The clicker in the scroll wheel on my G700s is broken and it's causing strange behavior in windows that makes the mouse unusable. Can anyone confirm or deny that replacing the scroll wheel will fix its clicker? The wheel itself works fine, for scrolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
Depends on what's broken.

A standard scroll wheel mechanism has the wheel sitting on a lever arm with a pivot at the front of the mouse, and a microswitch (just like any other mouse button) and some springs somewhere in the middle of the mouse body. Pushing down on the wheel makes the lever arm hit the microswitch. The mechanical disadvantage of the lever arm, combined with the springs, make it stiffer than a normal mouse button. Incidentally, the part that detects scrolling is separate. It uses an optical encoder in the wheel, which is the same basic slotted wheel/LED/photodiode mechanism that ball mice used to use to track roller motion.

If something in the mechanical pieces is broken - say, it feels jammed, or something's wrong with the springs - then replacing the scroll wheel assembly will probably fix it. If you open up the mouse, you should be able to see broken pieces and compare them to the replacements you get in a new scroll wheel assembly.

If you're seeing broken switch symptoms - say, it's triggering by itself - then you'll need to replace the switch.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

If you're seeing broken switch symptoms - say, it's triggering by itself - then you'll need to replace the switch.

Mechanically it feels fine to click, but this does absolutely nothing 100% of the time now, after being selective but mostly working for the last few months. There's evidence that it's clicking/half-clicking on its own in the weird behavior I mentioned, so I guess it's probably the switch. I'll open it up and see what I find. Thanks.

e: it looks like a pretty straightforward repair, going to give it a shot

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 9, 2020

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah this is actually why I'm not looking into the Anker anymore. It's just $24 at the moment but that's $24 wasted if I don't like it or if I do and it eventually breaks in less than a year to a year.

Apparently, the Anker has issues for a lot of people on Amazon (and Logitech isn't without their own...I've had multiple mice from them that double click) but...yeah.

I've had the wired version of that Anker mouse since 2017... i have 3 of them on various computers along with a couple of J-Tech vertical mice, all working nicely (both are cheap mice).

I guess your mileage may vary. :-)

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Trusted old G700s started having a bit of issues with doubleclicking and one of the extra buttons is not really working.

Which Logitech mouse would be the closest match for it? Been eyeing G903 and that powerplay whatever pad but 180 quid total would be ouchy burny price.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

beyonder posted:

Trusted old G700s started having a bit of issues with doubleclicking and one of the extra buttons is not really working.

Which Logitech mouse would be the closest match for it? Been eyeing G903 and that powerplay whatever pad but 180 quid total would be ouchy burny price.

I went for the G604 as it's the closest product to the G700s they've released. Similar number of buttons (but better distributed), wireless, toggleable scroll wheel. It's not rechargeable but an AA lasts for a fuckload of time so it's not a big deal, especially since short battery life was by far the G700's weakest point.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I had a chance to try out the MX Master 3 and the MX Vertical in Best Buy today. The MX Vertical is VERY slippery and I could see that being an issue. The MX Master 3 actually was very comfortable and didn't have me resting directly on my wrist like my backup M720.

It's not exactly an ergonomic mouse, but I think the MX Master 3 might help and it's the same price as the Vertical anyway.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

I went for the G604 as it's the closest product to the G700s they've released. Similar number of buttons (but better distributed), wireless, toggleable scroll wheel. It's not rechargeable but an AA lasts for a fuckload of time so it's not a big deal, especially since short battery life was by far the G700's weakest point.

I'd rather keep swapping NiMH AAs forever than ever have to use a mouse while it's plugged in because I forgot to charge it

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Anyone here have experience with the Pwnage Ultra Custom or HK Gaming Mira M?

I’m looking for a lightweight mouse suitable for a right hander with palmgrip. Don’t have a preference for wireless or wired.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

NihilCredo posted:

After a bit of consideration:

Hell yeah

Edit: I might have a severe case of fanboyitis. C920, G413, G935, G903 and that Powerplay pad. Welp.

beyonder fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 15, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I did a dumb thing last night and bought this:

https://www.razer.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga-left-handed-edition/RZ01-03410100-R3M1

My G Pro Wireless is perfectly good but I could not pass up a chance to have an actual multi button ergonomic mouse

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would buy a few every time they are for sale because they sell for double as soon as a few months later.

Hopefully they are in regular production now and not a limited thing like before

Imagine having a Naga in each hand

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

This was apparently controversial for some reason despite being entirely on-topic, so I'll delete it. :shrug:

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 20, 2020

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Fauxtool posted:

I would buy a few every time they are for sale because they sell for double as soon as a few months later.

Hopefully they are in regular production now and not a limited thing like before

Imagine having a Naga in each hand

sounds like a fun way to play a twin stick shooter

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

sounds like a fun way to play a twin stick shooter

So you missed the post right above you where, if you didn't already know, no, two mice don't work like that?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I mean, y'could do it in Linux.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Atomizer posted:

So you missed the post right above you where, if you didn't already know, no, two mice don't work like that?

it was a joke mate

and no I didn't see it, because I didn't refresh the page for the last 10 minutes

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 16, 2020

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Alright, whatever, fine.

Anyways, I have a mouse story of my own. Remember when I soldered in new primary switches for my G703? So that went well, and the issue with the RMB catching on the switch has disappeared, so I'm totally happy with my repaired mouse. It works perfectly, no double clicking or anything.

While I was in there though, I noted that all of the buttons use the same switches: the side and DPI buttons. Well, just today, I noticed the DPI button is double-clicking. You know, the button that gets the least use out of all of them. :downs: I don't know if I'm going to re-open this thing and replace that switch, because it's a decent amount of work for the least-important control, and then while I'm in there I should probably replace the switches for the side buttons, because they could basically fail at any time and I actually use those. But gently caress Logitech and anyone else who uses the lovely [Chinese] Omron switches that are totally out-of-spec for their mice.

Also, the Performance MX that I received as a warranty replacement (for the same failed switch issue!) many years ago for a MX Revolution or something like that finally started double-clicking its LMB. It still works otherwise, but I don't know if I'm up for replacing another pair of switches. :sigh:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Alright, whatever, fine.

Anyways, I have a mouse story of my own. Remember when I soldered in new primary switches for my G703? So that went well, and the issue with the RMB catching on the switch has disappeared, so I'm totally happy with my repaired mouse. It works perfectly, no double clicking or anything.

While I was in there though, I noted that all of the buttons use the same switches: the side and DPI buttons. Well, just today, I noticed the DPI button is double-clicking. You know, the button that gets the least use out of all of them. :downs: I don't know if I'm going to re-open this thing and replace that switch, because it's a decent amount of work for the least-important control, and then while I'm in there I should probably replace the switches for the side buttons, because they could basically fail at any time and I actually use those. But gently caress Logitech and anyone else who uses the lovely [Chinese] Omron switches that are totally out-of-spec for their mice.

Also, the Performance MX that I received as a warranty replacement (for the same failed switch issue!) many years ago for a MX Revolution or something like that finally started double-clicking its LMB. It still works otherwise, but I don't know if I'm up for replacing another pair of switches. :sigh:

I've found that every single Logitech I've ever had has a double-click issue eventually.

It makes me a bit weary of buying the MX Master 3 but we'll see....

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
naga left handed is already out of stock. I hope everyone who needs one got it at retail pricing cause mine are gonna go on ebay for double now

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've found that every single Logitech I've ever had has a double-click issue eventually.

It makes me a bit weary of buying the MX Master 3 but we'll see....

My G500 still going strong. MX518. G5. No issues with any of them yet and I've had them all for many many years.

Speaking of the MX Master 3, "Should I buy a $100 mouse?
I need a nice bluetooth mouse and I've been tossing around the idea of getting that or the G603.
If the 603 had a free scroll wheel with lock toggle then I wouldn't need to post this.
Same if the MX Master 3 didn't look like it had so much of a rake to the profile. I like to rest my palm flat on a nice hump of a mouse. Not huge on the tilt that looks so prominent in the MX Master 3. Unfortunately with the whole Covid pandemic, nobody has floor models for me to go put hands on so I can't see for myself if it's an acceptable.

Anyone else have experience with it? Opinions?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I can't say I've ever looked at a mouse and thought 'this thing needs a thumbwheel'.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Some Goon posted:

I can't say I've ever looked at a mouse and thought 'this thing needs a thumbwheel'.
Yeah that's definitely not a selling point...

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Got my Lefty Naga and its so cool to have a mouse that is so comfy!

Fauxtool posted:

naga left handed is already out of stock. I hope everyone who needs one got it at retail pricing cause mine are gonna go on ebay for double now

also gently caress you

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My G500 still going strong. MX518. G5. No issues with any of them yet and I've had them all for many many years.

I need a nice bluetooth mouse and I've been tossing around the idea of getting that or the G603.
If the 603 had a free scroll wheel with lock toggle then I wouldn't need to post this.
Same if the MX Master 3 didn't look like it had so much of a rake to the profile. I like to rest my palm flat on a nice hump of a mouse. Not huge on the tilt that looks so prominent in the MX Master 3. Unfortunately with the whole Covid pandemic, nobody has floor models for me to go put hands on so I can't see for myself if it's an acceptable.

Best Buy had floor models for me to try, I will probably go pick one up there later this week since I miss shopping in a store (and they're only allowing a few in at once at my local BBY anyway).

I tried the MX Master 3 and really liked it, I don't know if the 603 was there though. The MXM3 isn't as slippery as the MX Vertical, has nice ergonomics compared to the M720 I'm using currently, and seems to be a better make than the mouse I'm using now and the Vertical.

I got an interesting mousepad too, the XL, Red-Orange-Blue version of https://shop.x-raypad.com/shop/strata-rob-control-plus-gaming-mouse-pads/

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Got my Lefty Naga and its so cool to have a mouse that is so comfy!

also gently caress you

listen here dumbfuck, they produce enough to meet demand. This isnt some limited finalmouse that was sold out before it went on sale.
Resellers buying more than actual customer demand only inflates the perceived demand. That improves your chances of getting them back into production and at retail prices.

When it is out of stock resellers become your only option instead of literally nothing. Which do you want, nothing or double price to accommodate your devil hand?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 20, 2020

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've been using the MX Master 2 for some time now (it looks really similar) and I really enjoy and it feels comfortable. I am using it with a wrist rest though (I've been using one for like 10 years though, so it wasn't exclusive to this mouse). I don't really use the sidebuttons/scroller though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

listen here dumbfuck, they produce enough to meet demand. This isnt some limited finalmouse that was sold out before it went on sale.
Resellers buying more than actual customer demand only inflates the perceived demand. That improves your chances of getting them back into production and at retail prices.

When it is out of stock resellers become your only option instead of literally nothing. Which do you want, nothing or double price to accommodate your devil hand?

Let's keep mouse thread about mice and not worshipping the altar of capitalism, please. No need for personal attacks here.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I am currently using a real heinous piece of poo poo mouse that cost less than $20 and I bought because it was cheap enough to order from newegg with store credit I got from an item going on sale right after I ordered it. I've never loved it and the thumb buttons and wheel button have all been dead for years.

I say this to be clear that my needs are pretty modest and I am just looking for something decent for (mainly FPS)gaming that hopefully won't crumble like cardboard within a year or two. I am also still a cheapskate and I'm looking around in the sub $40 price range. I have no clue what the good and bad brands are or really anything at all about "gamer mice". A friend recommended I think a Logitech G203 and it seems okay. There seem to be a lot of budget mice in this range with high ratings on amazon but I cannot tell them apart.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 20, 2020

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are there any mice that keep the outside of your wrist off the desk? My pisiform bone gets sore after a while.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Not a mouse but I'll plug Allsop's Wrist Assist again. It slides around as you move your arm.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm looking for a deskmat. I have some specific things I want. I would like it to be black and blue (or have blue on it somewhere) and I would like it to be 48" x 24" so it covers my whole desk.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

hooah posted:

Are there any mice that keep the outside of your wrist off the desk? My pisiform bone gets sore after a while.
It sounds like you are ... palming the mouse with either very large hands or perhaps the mouse is "tilted"? If this is happening with a flat/ambidextrous mouse, try the CoolerMaster MM520 or Mionix Naos, which have a pinky "shelf" which I think will help keep your wrist off the desk. If you have an ergonomic mouse, try any ambidextrous mouse and see if the problem goes away. It sounds to me like you are cupping the mouse into the palm near the index finger and tilting your wrist, but I may not understand your issue exactly. If you like your mouse you might adapt your grip a bit to it.

If none of this works, try a very tall mouse that suits you. Here's a table that seems to have a couple recent mice and lets you sort by height: https://thegamingsetup.com/gaming-mouse/buying-guides/mouse-size-chart-table

You probably want to pick a tall flat mouse if it's a combination of your specific grip and the angle, I would imagine many of the tallest mice have a big hump and that might exacerbate rather than help.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kaschei posted:

It sounds like you are ... palming the mouse with either very large hands or perhaps the mouse is "tilted"? If this is happening with a flat/ambidextrous mouse, try the CoolerMaster MM520 or Mionix Naos, which have a pinky "shelf" which I think will help keep your wrist off the desk. If you have an ergonomic mouse, try any ambidextrous mouse and see if the problem goes away. It sounds to me like you are cupping the mouse into the palm near the index finger and tilting your wrist, but I may not understand your issue exactly. If you like your mouse you might adapt your grip a bit to it.

If none of this works, try a very tall mouse that suits you. Here's a table that seems to have a couple recent mice and lets you sort by height: https://thegamingsetup.com/gaming-mouse/buying-guides/mouse-size-chart-table

You probably want to pick a tall flat mouse if it's a combination of your specific grip and the angle, I would imagine many of the tallest mice have a big hump and that might exacerbate rather than help.

I guess that sort of sounds like my grip. I don't really know how to describe it; I'm not up on the terminology. I know it's not a "claw" grip. At work I have an ambidextrous Logitech wireless of some sort, and at home I have a G502, which is ergonomic. The CoolerMaster one looks like it has a ring finger shelf, not a pinky one. The Mionix might have shelves for both outer fingers, it's hard to tell.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I think everyone should have 1 good, quality trackball. I find them very useful. Just set it on the bed, or anywhere, no surface needed to slide across. Plus they look so futuristic when the ball is lit up like a glowing magic orb.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

excellent bird guy posted:

I think everyone should have 1 good, quality trackball. I find them very useful. Just set it on the bed, or anywhere, no surface needed to slide across. Plus they look so futuristic when the ball is lit up like a glowing magic orb.

What trackball do you recommend?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

excellent bird guy posted:

Why not just skip the middle man and go straight for the glowing magic orb?

Pros:
  • More precise than a trackball
  • More responsive than a trackball
  • You don't have to clean it as often
  • Truly wireless

Cons:
  • More expensive than a trackball (Should I buy a $100,000 magic orb?)
  • Can be annoying to recharge
  • You can't change the glow color with most entry-level models
  • Frequent issues with counterfeits

LordAdakos posted:

I used a Kensington Expert trackball for a while and it was pretty solid. I want to say I had some issues with the scroll ring but that was a few years ago.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

LordAdakos posted:

This one works great for my HTPC, you can basically hold it in your hand like a remote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043T7FXE/

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

late but I own the mx master 2s and it's amazing, best mouse I've ever owned. I owned a G603 and the tracking/response was great but it feels cheaply made and the scrollwheel started acting up after under a year.

you might not think you use the thumbwheel but it's really useful if you do any amount of work with the thing, particularly if you use windows (OSX has the shift+scrollwheel thing that works everywhere, windows' implementation varies wildly from app to app). the gesture button is amazing for media controls and as a shortcut to the app switcher. the hyperfast scrollwheel is something that feels like a gimmick if you use pageup/down/home/end but the use is so natural that it becomes second nature. it also feels really solidly built and the soft-touch finish is really nice, the g603 feels like cheap plastic. also the most comfortable mouse I've ever used if you palm it, which is what you want to be doing if you're doing work with it. in terms of the grip, i feel like it fills the gap that my palm naturally leaves when i palm less 'humpy' mice, which ends up reducing tension and being more comfortable for long term use.

i honestly hate gimmicky bullshit features but everything on that mouse is so well implemented that it's all immensely useful. i got it for half off RRP on amazon but I like it so much that if it broke tomorrow I'd buy the 3S for full price no questions asked.

only issue is that it's a bit heavy and not the most comfortable if you claw/fingertip it, which isn't amazing for games. the sensors/wireless on the gaming mice are obviously better but for me on my 60hz monitor with mediocre input lag it's night and day difference. i'd definitely put the wireless on the master far ahead of the wireless on their older gaming mice (i owned a g602 and got cramp in my hand trying to compensate for the lag and acceleration.

i bought a second hand g703 for gaming (would probably recommend that over the g603 just because it feels more solidly built with rubberised sides etc; it's the same dimensions i think. there are FLASHING LIGHTS but you can turn those off in the software)

i guess it comes down to your budget and what you're going to be using it for mostly. the ideal setup is one mouse for work/casual use and one mouse for gaming, and i'd recommend this not just because they are very specialised, but also because i don't have too much faith in the durability of gaming mice. optimising everything for lightness plus a higher portion of the BOM going into the sensor and wireless seems to come at the expense of longevity in my experience. if you have two mice, then the gaming mouse will last longer, is my rationalisation

i write this overlong post mainly because i discovered today after a year of use that i can assign the gesture button to media controls and it's so loving convenient i genuinely thought 'that's amazing, i'm really happy with this purchase' which only happens in infomercials and fake amazon reviews. hopefully this helps!

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The people who were behind the Zowie mice went off and formed a new company, Vaxee. They finally put out info on their new mouse, the NP-01, which can be seen here: https://vaxee.co/eu/feature.php?c=ZYGEN_NP-01

It's a relatively lightweight (75g) ergo mouse; you can see comparisons to the S2 and EC2 shapes here https://www.vaxee.co/eu/news.php?act=view&id=59. Looks interesting and I might give it a try, depending on price, although the thumb buttons being so low does worry me a bit. Will be out late September/early October.