Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Actually you can see in the video that once you've gotten a boost, it shows you where the tech is on the tree.

edit: At 2:02 you can see that on the tech tree everything in hidden except the starting techs but Writing which has been boosted from it's usual "meeting another Civ" Eureka, is revealed on the tree.

This is probably a good thing as it would be a pain in the rear end to have to blindly hunt for archery in all the early techs after you've gotten the boost for it.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Was just playing a game with Indonesia on a harder difficulty than I normally do (King) and it was nice to run into a game I'd actually lose. I neglected tech for too long and Cleopatra came in and kicked my butt with much stronger units. I'm not going to play it out, but they were on track to take one of my bigger cities and I don't think I'd be able to fight them back.

Indonesia is a really interesting Civ, though. Definitely want to give them another shot.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 17, 2020

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

How do I see what bonuses each unit has from the city that made it, like +25% XP and such? The system for displaying that is just completely unintuitive, on the Switch at any rate.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sorry for another dumb question, but I just completed this encampment as Poland and I am confused as to why it didn't culture bomb this city. Is it because we are at war? Or because it's trying to steal beyond the third ring? It's really unfortunate it didn't because it would put my religion there if it had, and I have crusade.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Yeah it can only take tiles that are within 3 tiles of the corresponding city center.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yet another hard lesson that Poland is garbage.

(In civ 6 never been there so can’t say more like how the US is garbage)

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Tom Tucker posted:

Yet another hard lesson that Poland is garbage.

(In civ 6 never been there so can’t say more like how the US is garbage)

I just won on deity with them in 210 turns (and with a personal best low score of 800). Extra Holy site adjacency bonuses are good and the buffed Markets are nice even if I didn’t get to use the rest of the kit much.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That's an interesting note in brackets... I wonder what the lowest possible winning deity score would be? (in a normalish game)

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I got a turn 176 Deity win with them a while back, they're easily one of the best religious Civs. The culture bomb thing rarely helps though.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I wish there was a map with more mixed continents. small continents is either too easy on lower levels or you get the bum's rush on higher ones.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Marmaduke! posted:

That's an interesting note in brackets... I wonder what the lowest possible winning deity score would be? (in a normalish game)

It's not very interesting of a metric, because your score decreases the longer it takes, so just restrict an AI to a useless ice island, disable the turn victory, and you could get your score pretty low I imagine.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
isn't score flattened where you have <base score> * time% and 100% is the minimum? so if you finish the game very early, your score will still probably be very low because you don't have any points from wonders, tech, land mass, population etc. if you finish later in history, your scores will tend to be similar, with some variation based on pop size/tiles that belong to you.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My ancient% speedrun on Prince finishes with a score of 148. Not quite Dan Quayle level, but just one leader above him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Glass of Milk posted:

I wish there was a map with more mixed continents. small continents is either too easy on lower levels or you get the bum's rush on higher ones.

Try Continents and Islands, it's one of the newer map scripts and it's by a wide margin my favorite. Favors having a good naval game, while not just being exclusively island hopping

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Let me pop an airplane on my border and see what's going on over in my neighbor's land.

:stare:

So uh, does the AI actually use these.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Use what?

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Void cultists. i see them drudge them around but never know what they're doing other than taking up space

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Yestermoment posted:

Void cultists. i see them drudge them around but never know what they're doing other than taking up space

Not as far as I can tell. They are excellent vampire food though.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Cultists? Vampires? What?

What happened to this game? I haven't played in a couple of months and am not up to date anymore, how long was I away?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

Cultists? Vampires? What?

What happened to this game? I haven't played in a couple of months and am not up to date anymore, how long was I away?

Lots happened.

quote:

The Ethiopia Pack is a DLC for Civilization VI that was released on July 23, 2020 as the second part of the Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass. The pack includes:

The Ethiopian civilization
The Secret Societies Game Mode with 4 secret societies: Owls of Minerva, Hermetic Order, Voidsingers and Sanguine Pact.
The Diplomatic Quarter district
The Consulate and the Chancery buildings.

Also, the Catherine de Medici and Teddy Roosevelt Persona Packs were released. These two personas are not included within the Ethiopia Pack, but available exclusively for players who have bought the New Frontier Pass.

quote:

The Secret Societies Game Mode introduces four new "societies". After performing an action (sending Envoys to City-states, discovering a Tribal Village, discovering a Natural Wonder, or clearing a Barbarian camp), a corresponding society will send you an invitation. You can turn down (by ignoring the new Governor in the Governor screen) or accept the invitation (by promoting the unique Governor to go through "Initiation"), but once in a society, all other choices will disappear off the Governor screen, and you cannot back out or change your decision to a different one, the membership will last the entire game. Even after you are a member of a secret society, you can still discover new ones by performing the corresponding action listed above. Every time you discover a new secret society, you will be granted 1 Governor (Civ6) Governor Title. Also, by discovering new secret societies even if you cannot join them because you are already a member of another society, it will give you the ability to spot out members of those other societies in case you will meet them in the future.

The new Governor has four unique titles, does not need to be assigned to a specific city, and has bonuses that apply to the entire empire. You can unlock these titles by earning Governor titles like normal, but tier 2, tier 3 and tier 4 titles (called "Ritual", "Indoctrination", and "Master Plan" respectively) can only be unlocked once the game has reached a certain era. Note that these are World Eras, not Individual Eras, so you can't rush it!

Below is the list of four Secret Societies that you can potentially choose from:

* Owls of Minerva (Civ6) The Owls of Minerva are puppeteers who mastermind plots behind the scenes and use espionage to achieve their goals. Joining their ranks gives access to the Gilded Vault, a new building with all the benefits of a Bank, but also grants Gold adjacency bonus as a Culture adjacency bonus as well. It also grants an additional trade route for cities with a Harbor.

* Hermetic Order (Civ6) The Hermetic Order values alchemy and occult science above all else. Their success comes from theories and inventions that other societies dismiss as mere fairy tales, such as Ley Lines. Ley Lines are a new map resource only Hermetic Order members can see, which gives standard adjacency bonuses to all specialty districts. They also grant bonus yields whenever a Great Person is earned. Members of the society can build the Alchemical Society, a University replacement building that has all of the base University effects, plus extra Great Merchant points, Great Engineer points, increased Production, and Gold.

* Voidsingers (Civ6) The Voidsingers follow a dark religion of ancient gods and sow chaos to control adversaries. Joining them unlocks the Old God Obelisk, which replaces the Monument. It has all of the Monument's base effects, and provides additional Faith and Great Works slots. The Voidsingers also have a unique unit, the Cultist. Purchased with Faith, Cultists can spend a charge to recruit followers in enemy cities, reducing the target city's Loyalty by calling its citizens to madness.

* Sanguine Pact (Civ6) The Sanguine Pact is a militaristic regime known for sapping enemies of their will to fight, shunning the sunlight. Joining the pact unlocks the unique Vampire unit, which gains Combat Strength when adjacent units perish. Instead of dying, Vampires retreat to safety with one HP and can be healed back to full by pillaging. Vampire Castles can be placed in any empty tile in your territory or in neutral territory and grant defensive bonuses and extra yields. In later eras, Vampire Castles allow you to teleport units between them.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Fun modes you can turn on that are absurd but optional and add a lot of cool flavor to the game!

Did my first conquering with a Soothsayer the other day - felt so good. Just cutting a swath of eruptions and floods down the center of the Incan empire and charging in behind them.

Even breached a Dam so I could flood even more!

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Oh yeah so its not just me whose having the "AI floods the map with Cultists but doesn't really use them" issue.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I still haven't seen a vampire castle either, but then I haven't played a ton of games with the mode on. Cultists never seem to do anything. For the AI the secret societies seem to mostly just be relationship modifiers.

Has anyone seen a soothsayer causing disasters from the AI either?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Tom Tucker posted:

I still haven't seen a vampire castle either, but then I haven't played a ton of games with the mode on. Cultists never seem to do anything. For the AI the secret societies seem to mostly just be relationship modifiers.

I'm in a multiplayer game and I can't seem to place vampire castles at all. The Vampire himself is the builder for them, right? I have him on spaces that claim to be buildable but there's no option for it on his action buttons. My ally placed one but I can't seem to do it myself.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

PaybackJack posted:

I'm in a multiplayer game and I can't seem to place vampire castles at all. The Vampire himself is the builder for them, right? I have him on spaces that claim to be buildable but there's no option for it on his action buttons. My ally placed one but I can't seem to do it myself.

Are you at least rank 2 in the society? Also the ring has to be entirely neutral or friendly territory iirc. It can be annoyingly finicky at times.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

PaybackJack posted:

You need to get to certain promotion level to unlock them, and then there is something weird with the terrain about where you can place them. Amongst other things, you can't place them on floodplains or volcanic soil, and I've ran into issues with rainforests on occasion

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Glumslinger posted:

You need to get to certain promotion level to unlock them, and then there is something weird with the terrain about where you can place them. Amongst other things, you can't place them on floodplains or volcanic soil, and I've ran into issues with rainforests on occasion

I think it's any feature, I have been unable to place them on forests.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Yeah I think you have to chop features. Which the Vampires themselves have a builder charge to do but they run into the problem of being unable to chop outside your territory.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

We're well into the industrial era, and I'm three vampires deep in the society. It's just strange because according to the Civopedia I should be able to place them where I'm trying to so either there's hidden aluminum or some other resource where I'm trying to place them or it's some kind of bug. Although I'd still think that I'd be able to see the icon for it even if it was just greyed out.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Yeah it's just be nice if we could get hex highlights on areas where they can build. I managed to find one.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Organic Lube User posted:

Yeah it's just be nice if we could get hex highlights on areas where they can build. I managed to find one.

I had that issue too. I think the terrain had to be flat too?

Tom Tucker posted:

Yes, I've been pestered by soothsayers constantly.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Ive not really had Soothsayer bullshit happen *to* me much but the AI definitely uses them for Appease the Gods scenarios.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Rimusutera posted:

Ive not really had Soothsayer bullshit happen *to* me much but the AI definitely uses them for Appease the Gods scenarios.

Yeah I've seen them appease a ton but I can't remember disasters happening to me, been a while though.

AI also doesn't seem to go after meteorite impacts much, but the same could be said for goodie huts in the tundra, even if their borders are right next to it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are there any good ways to defend against a religious victory if you're not going strong in religion?

I normally try to found a religion and choose things that benefit my approach, production, science, culture, etc. Should I be choosing options that make it easier to defend and just consider my faith earnings a wash?

Is there anything else?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Kill the guy that's getting ahead on religious conversion.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Are there any good ways to defend against a religious victory if you're not going strong in religion?

I normally try to found a religion and choose things that benefit my approach, production, science, culture, etc. Should I be choosing options that make it easier to defend and just consider my faith earnings a wash?

Is there anything else?

If you'd really rather not deal with it you can always turn off the religious victory option when you set up the game. (This also makes it easier for you to get one of the prophets and build a beneficial religion - the AI isn't incentivized to rush for them if there's no religious victory.) But if you have your own religion, just make sure you defend your borders with apostles and it won't matter if an AI player converts every other city in the game.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Inquisitors are also cost effective, and the belief that keeps you from loosing followers from loosing Theological Combat helps wonders on the defensive.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Is there anything else?

One thing you can do if you don't mind warmongering is start smashing small cities and then razing them based on which religion they follow. This can help when another Civ with a strong but not overwhelming religion is getting crushed in newer territories by the stronger religion. Of course you'll be eating a lot of warmonger penalties but that's better than losing. Similarly, you can"make a bunch of settlers send them nearby the 2nd place religion and then just donate them to that guy. Basically as long as 2 Civs are fighting over religion neither will ever quite overtake the over as long as you're always swinging them back and forth so if one guy is winning then do things to help boost the other guy until the 2nd place moves up or that the 1st place is never in a position where he could possibly convert the 2nd place.

Religion is actually one of the easiest victory conditions to deny if there's two strong religious Civs. It's only usually a problem when one of them is knocked out early and the other gets the run of the place. Early on watch who is taking the great prophets and watch the faith incomes to see how much each civ is generating then plan accordingly. You don't necessarily need to have your own religion game going to counter theirs.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for all the recommendations. I think there was one Civ that was going way stronger on religion than all the others. I stupidly mostly ignored it. I wads playing Indonesia and had spent a good amount of faith on naval units. Got kind of surprised when I hit the losing screen after hitting next turn.

Next game! I really do like Indonesia, but it seems like a slow snowball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

My solution to incipient religious victory has always been nuclear weapons. Unconventional but it works. If they get close earlier than that I don't know.