Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

i went and read the blog in question and it read more like someone who was ESL rather than GPT-3 but i guess if he was doing minor edits to it then that makes sense.
I saw it on hn but didn't read it because it sounded like a generic content farm article. Now that I know what it is, I went and read it and I'm actually kind of terrified at how similar it really is to a content farm article.

I can actually understand why that poster got downvoted for saying it was gpt-3 because even thought it seems like it's just filler and it doesn't really make sense, it's hard to believe that a computer wrote it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I can't believe what he wrote it!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

quote:

Longer copyright times would incentivize more investment in artists.
For example, you would see "YC for budding young novelists" if copyright were more long-term and secure.
You can pay the living expenses of a whole lot of would-be-starving-artists-but-actually-baristas, for an enormous number of years, if you can collect investment revenue from the one who turned out to be Stephen King.
This idea is an extension of what copyright is for, which it to allow creators to make money, thus incentivizing them.
I support unlimited-duration copyright.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Chris Knight posted:

I can't believe what he wrote it!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I was gonna write a novel, but knowing that my great grandchildren can't continue to claim royalties 75 years after my death made me decide it just wasn't worth it

Now 85 years after I die and my great great grandchildren can still profit, now you're talking about an incentive

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
a hacker rediscovers sane release practices, thinks they were invented by react devs

rafaelturk 3 hours ago | parent [–] | on: React v17.0 Release Candidate: No New Features
I wish this approach to be followed by all major repos and maintainers and become a new trend across all the tech industry.

By creating `bridge` release, the React community created a safe, well know and stable release that works as bridge for the upcoming complex, feature rich, release.

So: Complex Release -> Stable `bridge` Release -> New Complex Release.

Anyone can stay as long as they want in the bridge release, others can quickly move forward to the next release cycle.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hn thread: I can't believe it's not anti-fascist!

e: brainfart

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 12, 2020

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

mystes posted:

I saw it on hn but didn't read it because it sounded like a generic content farm article. Now that I know what it is, I went and read it and I'm actually kind of terrified at how similar it really is to a content farm article.

I can actually understand why that poster got downvoted for saying it was gpt-3 because even thought it seems like it's just filler and it doesn't really make sense, it's hard to believe that a computer wrote it.

the main thing it reveals is that we're so used to reading content farm filler that there's nothing obviously off about a thousand word article which says nothing

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

how would HN people recognize decent writing anyway? I saw this article at #2 this morning. I think my favorite quote is "books can teach us many things."

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Makeout Patrol posted:

I think my favorite quote is "books can teach us many things."

lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Makeout Patrol posted:

"books can teach us many things."

hosed-up if true!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yup. That's me.

I hate lovely band-aid code. I love perfection.

I'm Michelangelo - but that by definition makes me a loner. I love staring at my code and contemplate on it's beauty just like the result of the code working.

I'm perfect at one-man projects.

I hate processes, standups, scrums and all that team playing bullshit.

I love customers and bosses who are trusting and freedom giving.

I love beers, steaks, good food and team gatherings - and i love people whom i am "working" with - but everyone knows i am working on something that is NOT "let get this poo poo done quickly and push this out of the door by next friday". That's not me.

Although I'm the one my boss comes to with "i don't know how but can you do something about it tomorrow"? I'm good and super sharp focusing and delivering on my own. If i need help - I'll ask.

I'm all for skunkworks.

I debug my code myself, using techniques i polished myself over the years and I'll end up with lightbulb that will last 100 yrs. Not the one that cost $3 and requires full replacement after 3.5 weeks of light usage.

I try not to buy stuff made in China. I love stuff made in Europe or Japan.

So, don't push guys like me into your "processes" and "change managements" wasting pipeline bullshit.

I won't fit.

I speak at conferences. I do evil harmless things. I violate countless stupid compliance rules. I take risks no one knows about. I don't follow rules, and pretty much skip reading them when i can.

I do my best to deliver masterpieces. One piece at a time.

Downvote me.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

the 10x developer posts his manifesto

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yup. That's me.

I'm Michelangelo - but that by definition makes me a loner. I love staring at my code and contemplate on it's beauty just like the result of the code working.

I love beers, steaks, good food and team gatherings - and i love people whom i am "working" with - but everyone knows i am working on something that is NOT "let get this poo poo done quickly and push this out of the door by next friday". That's not me.

Although I'm the one my boss comes to with "i don't know how but can you do something about it tomorrow"? I'm good and super sharp focusing and delivering on my own. If i need help - I'll ask.

I'm all for skunkworks.

I debug my code myself, using techniques i polished myself over the years and I'll end up with lightbulb that will last 100 yrs. Not the one that cost $3 and requires full replacement after 3.5 weeks of light usage.

So, don't push guys like me into your "processes" and "change managements" wasting pipeline bullshit.

I won't fit.

I speak at conferences. I do evil harmless things. I violate countless stupid compliance rules. I take risks no one knows about. I don't follow rules, and pretty much skip reading them when i can.

Downvote me.

Funny, I didn't even realize that Axe Body Spray came in text form?

:shrug:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yup. That's me.

I'm all for skunkworks.

I won't fit.

Downvote me.

This person smells.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
Depends on whether society thinks you’re doing it for a good cause. Laws should serve people. If “the people” think they’re unfair, they will allow lots of technically illegal actions to change them.
Mahatma Gandhi did that, and society nowadays thinks he was within his rights.

Uber also did that, but isn’t universally acclaimed for it (¿yet?)

(There’s a large legal difference in that the Gandhi was a person and Uber a company, but Uber somewhat got away with its actions. That’s an indicator that society isn’t unanimous in condemning those actions)

This could and, I think, will be similar. This strong protest by Epic will lead to change.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

suffix posted:

Depends on whether society thinks you’re doing it for a good cause. Laws should serve people. If “the people” think they’re unfair, they will allow lots of technically illegal actions to change them.
Mahatma Gandhi did that, and society nowadays thinks he was within his rights.

Uber also did that, but isn’t universally acclaimed for it (¿yet?)

(There’s a large legal difference in that the Gandhi was a person and Uber a company, but Uber somewhat got away with its actions. That’s an indicator that society isn’t unanimous in condemning those actions)

This could and, I think, will be similar. This strong protest by Epic will lead to change.

reading this post:

yes...

yes exactly...

wait what

oh no

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
It's like you're dating a hot girl and you like showing her off. Then you find out the next week she cheated on you then you dump her. Wouldn't you do the same thing in Apple's position?

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
A zero-carbon lifestyle is completely unattainable for the simple reason that we breathe out CO2.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

salisbury shake posted:

A zero-carbon lifestyle is completely unattainable for the simple reason that we breathe out CO2.

how many potted plants do you have to own to offset that 🤔🤔🤔

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
humans exhale about 800 pounds of carbon a year, and the average hardwood tree growing outdoors in good light absorbs about 50, so i guess it depends on your house plants

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how many pounds of carbon do we fart

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

All the carbon you exhale from metabolism comes from plants or animals that ate plants so it's already carbon neutral aaaaaaaugh this argument is so stupid why am I wasting my life.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mrmcd posted:

All the carbon you exhale from metabolism comes from plants or animals that ate plants so it's already carbon neutral aaaaaaaugh this argument is so stupid why am I wasting my life.

individual responsibility, bithc

oh no another oil spill, oh well

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

rjmccall posted:

humans exhale about 800 pounds of carbon a year, and the average hardwood tree growing outdoors in good light absorbs about 50, so i guess it depends on your house plants

I remember reading a stack exchange about a human's chance of survivial in a sealed room of (I don't remember the dimensions) with plants inside, and someone did the math and it worked out at few days even without the plants, and then they went further and calculated the amount of plants needed to replenish, but that was maybe 3 years ago and I don't remember enough unique keywords to dig it up, sigh.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

carry on then posted:

individual responsibility, bithc

if your group is so numerous nobody can figure out who to blame so everyone gets off scott for free

individual responsibility :smugbert:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

alexandriao posted:

I remember reading a stack exchange about a human's chance of survivial in a sealed room of (I don't remember the dimensions) with plants inside, and someone did the math and it worked out at few days even without the plants, and then they went further and calculated the amount of plants needed to replenish, but that was maybe 3 years ago and I don't remember enough unique keywords to dig it up, sigh.

i think it varies a lot based on light; if those plants aren’t under basically grow lights then they reach an equilibrium where they respire as much co2 as they take in during photosynthesis . i don’t know how much that changes based on co2 concentration

carry on then posted:

oil spills are much better for atmospheric co2 than actually using the oil :science:

mrmcd posted:

happy to help

animist
Aug 28, 2018

rjmccall posted:

oil spills are much better for atmospheric co2 than actually using the oil :science:

it's all fun and games until somebody sets the ocean on fire :colbert:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

rjmccall posted:

isn't it going to end up oxidizing in one way or another on a timespan of decades? or maybe not if it sinks into the deep ocean.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
decades is a lot better than weeks, yes

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

I've been saying it for a while now. The winds are shifting. The current tech boom is slowing down, layoffs are rising, and people are starting to get pissed at the dilution of their shares into utter toilet paper. There was a thread a few months ago where some VC dumbass posted a fluffy praise of joining startups over larger companies, and the comments were just angry rebuke after rebuke by devs who've been burnt by startups too many times. Even if the response there was to "screw your startup scam, I'm joining FAANG", it's at least a furious response at the grifter nature of the industry.

The thread about the Mondragon Corporation and co-ops in general had a pretty positive response.

All of this is still within a technocratic-entrepreneurial capitalist framework, but at least the cultists are starting to throw away the Flavor Aid. There's been big threads about the shittiness of burnout culture, impossible whiteboarding interviews, and open offices.

Looks like they're at it again. The marks are waking up. though again their response seems to be either join FAANG or start their own company

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24198228

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Maximo Roboto posted:

Looks like they're at it again. The marks are waking up. though again their response seems to be either join FAANG or start their own company

the last 7 years have been extremely good for employees in terms of hiring in tech. a lot of lovely business models failed in the pandemic/lockdown so there's suddenly a flood of bootcampers and the like who essentially were in demand.

I don't expect bootcamps to survive unless they can convince new marks of their "ability to get hires"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
These idiots are finally going to wake up to the correct course of action (loving UNIONIZE) long after the horse has bolted and management already has too much leverage for it to be at all easy to pull off. It's not quite that bad yet but it will be quite soon and they're still not waking up and smelling the coffee really.

If only somebody had warned them ahead of time, like say any time in the last ten twenty years or so.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

kristopolous 6 hours ago [–]

For me I'm far too naturally transgressive to work at a large company.
I really wish I could, life would be easier, less work, less stress, pay better... None of them will take me so I keep help building and (sometimes) exiting startups.
It's really exhausting. 20 years of this... I wish more companies would value those who "challenge the book" instead of "follow the book" or that I could find a way to obediently follow it instead of challenge it.
I've honestly thought about figuring out how I could put things on ice for a few years and get a PhD, because then I'd have the proper paperwork to allow for my disposition and could finally stop this exhausting startup life.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
trivially insightful thought: my experience teaches me that I don't fit in at a lot of organizations

minor insightful thought: although I reflexively blame other people for this, it is possible that my own attitudes and reactions play a role in my inability to fit in

galaxy-brain insightful thought: I will get a PhD so that I can keep acting in the same problematic ways, not grow as a person, and won't get in trouble

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

can’t handle bureaucracy at a large company decides a phd is a good choice instead lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the hackers are trying to explain X11 to our own X11 expert

eschaton fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 19, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

galaxy-brain insightful thought: I will get a PhD so that I can keep acting in the same problematic ways, not grow as a person, and won't get in trouble

unfortunately they’re actually correct but missing that you need to get tenure and be running a lab before fully embracing this attitude and the odds of getting that far are slim

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

quote:

formerly_proven 1 day ago [–]

> I spent a long time working on things like Wayland and next-generation graphics technology

I don't know you, so this might come off as overly aggressive. But very little that happens in the FOSS/Linux space and has to do with graphics I would describe with "next gen". Wayland for example is meant as the "ring to rule them all" as a way to drive displays, yet it doesn't even support color management, so it's increasingly useless in a world of non-sRGB displays. X11 does color management (in a cludgy way), for example.

fake edit: unrelated comment I saw on another post:

quote:

jl6 14 minutes ago [–]

Out of interest, going by your username, do you consider yourself to be autistic? You write exactly like a relative of mine who definitely has something undiagnosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

people seem to get really excited about being able to use x11 on a computer on the other side of the world, as if you could do this without wishing you were dead. it's worse than any other way of sending screen contents long-distance except that it narrowly beats out having your elderly mother explain to you over the phone what she's seeing on her screen