Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They just don't trust him going downhill in bad weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its okay we're gonna get another Festina with Jumbo to keep things interesting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just remembered that Paris-Roubaix is at the end of October.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah given the team is descended from Rabobank that could happen, I hope it doesn't though.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

goatface posted:

I just remembered that Paris-Roubaix is at the end of October.
:discourse:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

Have you seen Vlasov on Astana? He's gonna do some poo poo like Ricardo Ricco at the col d'Aspin. It's going to be badass

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

kimbo305 posted:

If he doesn't have any real contact, he's just guessing like the rest of us, right?

He said based on what he knows about their power whatevers, but yeah.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

serious gaylord posted:

Analyses show that everyone is riding slower than last year, it's just that the rich teams came out of the Corona crisis much better than the poor teams because they could keep trainers, food scientists, masseurs etc employed. This explains the dominance of a few teams with solid sponsors: quick step, jumbo, Ineos, Bora.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Rojkir posted:

Analyses show that everyone is riding slower than last year, it's just that the rich teams came out of the Corona crisis much better than the poor teams because they could keep trainers, food scientists, masseurs etc employed. This explains the dominance of a few teams with solid sponsors: quick step, jumbo, Ineos, Bora.

Sure, but should we not just be a bit suspicious that all of Jumbo are suddenly way ahead of even ineos?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's been a difficult time for finding the right asthma meds.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's mostly just Wout smashing everyone so far, we should probably wait for more than a couple of major races to have happened before declaring TJV are that dominant.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Sure, but should we not just be a bit suspicious that all of Jumbo are suddenly way ahead of even ineos?

They've always had strong riders but I think this is the first year they've had super domestiques comparable to Ineos. Roglic as your leader with Dumoulin, Kruijswijk, Van Aert, Kuss, Tony Martin and Gesink in support is a hell of a squad for a race like the Dauphine.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

The rise of TJV has been 3-4 years in the making, so no, I’m not suspicious at all.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Incidentally Kruijswijk is confirmed out of the Tour through injury this morning, so the super team is already a man down.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Does it matter? Sure, if I was a rider who didn't want to dope it'd be frustrating but as a spectator it's honestly irrelevant. Riding 200km a day is no less impressive a feat just because you've been using illegal medication.

The preoccupation with the possibility of doping is so dull and almost unique to cycling fans. Football fans don't give a poo poo that someone is doping until they are stupid enough to get caught. Very few people worry that Bayern's Champions League run might be tainted by doping even with the absurd sums of money involved relative to cycling.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It nearly destroyed the sport

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Football is absolutely going to have a 90s cycling tier doping reveal at some point and people are definitely going to give a poo poo about it when it does.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vando posted:

Football is absolutely going to have a 90s cycling tier doping reveal at some point and people are definitely going to give a poo poo about it when it does.

No other sport will do it because they've seen what happened to cycling and then look at what happened to tennis, and as far as money and media prestige goes, which sport would you rather be?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Wout Van Aert has won the belgian TT champs. With his TT ability and recent successes is he Cancellara's spiritual heir?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yeah cycling has very clearly proven that you do not, under any circumstance, want to find out whether everyone in your sport is doping. The only way this happens to another sport is when people are dumb enough to get caught by regular law enforcement. And even then, football is way too big for that. During Operacion Puerto, there were several football clubs on the customer list of Fuentes. He had training data for Barça, Madrid and Valencia laying around. Absolutely nothing happened.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean, that's what happened, it only blew up because like French law enforcement got involved.

It's definitely a grain of salt thing but I remembered a bunch of riders saying that the reaction was basically confusion because they didn't actually think they were doing anything wrong (a lot of them apparently took the old 50% hematocrit rule as a tacit allowance for doping, as long as you didn't totally go nuts- remember it was technically supposed to be like a "medical safety rule" and not a doping ruie)

e) i always like when some Festina era rider gets "caught" doping and the French press plays it up even though everyone with a brain knew they were on horse drugs. Like Laurent Jalabert got "caught" with his 98 TDF samples a few years back, and like did anyone on the earth think Jalabert was clean?

This was one year after he was a climby sprinter in 1994. Like imagine if Peter Sagan or Michael Matthews posted these results next year, I think people would freak out.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 20, 2020

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Tennis fans are the worst because they continually insist "tennis is a skill game doping won't help". Yes fitness has no role to play a game where finals are regularly 5 hours of explosive intervals.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Tennis fans are the worst because they continually insist "tennis is a skill game doping won't help". Yes fitness has no role to play a game where finals are regularly 5 hours of explosive intervals.

If I ever get "Canceled" it will be my continued insistence that Serena Williams is the biggest doper alive

e) i really like this because tennis has absolutely evolved to be far less of a skill/reaction time game. like you used to get eaten alive by 19-year-olds once you got too old in tennis, and now all the top players are geriatric

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I can still dream that one day every detail of FC Barcelona circa 2007-2013 will get spilled.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I just want Nadal and Serena.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

peanut- posted:

I can still dream that one day every detail of FC Barcelona circa 2007-2013 will get spilled.

I've always wondered if abidal getting such a senior job straight away was something of a pay off. GW501516 rapidly caused cancers in animal testing.

Pro Cycling - Bitter fans talking about doping

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i really want to know how this happened

Pro Cycling - Bitter fans talking about doping

tbh i don't actually care that much about doping itself, it was more the absolute bald-faced sanctimony by the Brailsford types and the english-speaking media that set me off. that and stuff like Armstrong being a complete sociopath.

like if he had just been quiet and done crazy poo poo on dope like Michael Rasmussen deciding to solo win every mountain stage at the 2006-2007 TdFs, that would have been badass

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 20, 2020

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

tbh i don't actually care that much about doping itself, it was more the absolute bald-faced sanctimony by the Brailsford types and the english-speaking media that set me off. that and stuff like Armstrong being a complete sociopath.

like if he had just been quiet and done crazy poo poo on dope like Michael Rasmussen deciding to solo win every mountain stage at the 2006-2007 TdFs, that would have been badass

It's been an interesting contrast in the comments about froome missing the tour. Underneath british comments it's been word for word ukcyclingfan parody posts and under the french posts it's all people saying froome is running scared of franch anti-doping

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the french will always be bitter about the "two speed peloton" thing

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I mean if Froome is/was doping he paid a lot of it back with that crazy Giro win, for sure

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Vando posted:

Bayern running circles around Barca was loving comical

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

African AIDS cum posted:

Bayern running circles around Barca was loving comical

Wild how that game came after a Spanish doping ring got busted in January isn't it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

cebrail posted:

Yeah cycling has very clearly proven that you do not, under any circumstance, want to find out whether everyone in your sport is doping. The only way this happens to another sport is when people are dumb enough to get caught by regular law enforcement. And even then, football is way too big for that. During Operacion Puerto, there were several football clubs on the customer list of Fuentes. He had training data for Barça, Madrid and Valencia laying around. Absolutely nothing happened.

Multiple footballers have dropped dead due to heart conditions, if that doesn't change things I doubt anything will from inside the game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vando posted:

I mean if Froome is/was doping he paid a lot of it back with that crazy Giro win, for sure

that's only cool if you're on one of those small Italian teams, like that Sella guy who like, literally soloed every mountain stage in a Giro one year in what was probably the most hilariously juiced performance I've ever seen

i think only Santiago Perez at the 2004 Vuelta beats him in the Third Week Doping GT hall of fame

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 20, 2020

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've had someone tell me the same about football, its some impressive mental gymnastics

To a lot of people doping = big muscles and absolutely nothing else

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This was one year after he was a climby sprinter in 1994. Like imagine if Peter Sagan or Michael Matthews posted these results next year, I think people would freak out.

For Sagan, I'd be like, man, he's having a hell of a year, and this year's Vuelta is really flat. He wouldn't get GC, still.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1296832224604631040?s=20

Yates to the Grenadiers from next year. Do they think he has GC potential or do they just want more british rivals to keep their fan base engaged?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's easier to convince people to take unknown research chemicals when you can lie to them in your native tongue.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
I think he's just cheap since mitchelton scott is folding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Who are they sending to the Olympics road races? They might want to hold all the GB riders for marketing purposes.