Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hatelull posted:

The b-sides ("Pissant" and "Hello Kitty-Kat" specifically) to "Cherub Rock" and "Today" respectively became instant "i'm a die hard fan" deep cut favorites when I first heard them. gently caress, those are great tunes.

I remember in my junior high years coming home from school on a Friday before a long weekend, feeling super tired but not the least bit stressed about anything, putting on "Obscured" from one of the singles (Today?) and drifting in and out of sleep to it. It was the first time I'd heard it, and ended up being super weird to be half awake and hearing that drone at the end, and not being sure if it was real or not, but not caring either way. It was just an awesome little moment from a far, far simpler time. :unsmith:

And to directly quote Hummer, "when I woke up from that sleep, I was happier than I'd ever been." It's true, I was just on some sort of cloud for the rest of the night and weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remember in my junior high years coming home from school on a Friday before a long weekend, feeling super tired but not the least bit stressed about anything, putting on "Obscured" from one of the singles (Today?) and drifting in and out of sleep to it. It was the first time I'd heard it, and ended up being super weird to be half awake and hearing that drone at the end, and not being sure if it was real or not, but not caring either way. It was just an awesome little moment from a far, far simpler time. :unsmith:

And to directly quote Hummer, "when I woke up from that sleep, I was happier than I'd ever been." It's true, I was just on some sort of cloud for the rest of the night and weekend.

YAASSS! "Obscured" was the mellow cut that followed "Hello Kitty Kat." "Cherub Rock" had "French Music Theme"

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Pretty much all those are also on Pisces Iscariot. Like how many bands have an album of B-Sides that's still an incredible album just on its own.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Nirvana's best album is their b-sides and rarities album.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Simpsons meme thread made a Toto joke and it reminded me of this Billy quote:
"Some people, like Steve Lukather, think I'm a terrible guitar player. Others disagree. The point is that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and you shouldn't let someone else's taste influence you too much. (Although I would say that if "Hold The Line" was the best rock riff I'd ever written, I think I'd keep my mouth shut)."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There's now a countdown clock, set for 12 days...

New stuff incoming.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

My guesses are:
New single
New video (iirc billy did an IG post mentioning one)
SAOSB 2+3 release date (it's supposed to be a double album right?)
Machina 1+2 remaster
New tour announcement (provided Covid is on the downswing in 3 months) (it won't be)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Framboise posted:

My guesses are:
New single
New video (iirc billy did an IG post mentioning one)
SAOSB 2+3 release date (it's supposed to be a double album right?)
Machina 1+2 remaster
New tour announcement (provided Covid is on the downswing in 3 months) (it won't be)

I'm into ONE of these possibilities.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hatelull posted:

I'm into ONE of these possibilities.

I'm assuming Machina?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm assuming Machina?

Indeed, and honestly more into Machina 2 but OG Machina does have some banger singles and solid deep cuts.

I had to look up what the SAOSB acronym was and then realized I never listened to that record. I feel like I should turn in my die hard fan card. :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hatelull posted:

Indeed, and honestly more into Machina 2 but OG Machina does have some banger singles and solid deep cuts.

I had to look up what the SAOSB acronym was and then realized I never listened to that record. I feel like I should turn in my die hard fan card. :(

But the die-hard fans ARE the ones not super jazzed about the new stuff! (I'm only half-sarcastic).

It's weird because with every announcement of new Pumpkins music, I'm excited, only to be fairly consistently let down almost every time.

This has been happening since Zeitgeist, if you aren't counting Zwan. If you ARE counting Zwan, then "since Zwan".

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just got the siamese dream remaster on vinyl and while it was $50 it was definitely worth it. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the SD remaster actually sounds worse than the original master. Gish is maybe a mild improvement, but I think that record sounds about as good as it can. MCIS remaster (digital at least, I heard the vinyl had major issues) is an improvement as the original master blew out all the low freqs way too hard. Adore remaster is unnecessary, that record is perfectly mastered from its original release. Machina remix/remaster is desperately needed, the master we got is kinda terrible and they mixed the drums a little too low.

Regarding newer music I love MSotS (which is 17 loving years old now) and for Pumpkins stuff specifically uhhh I guess American Gothic is like 75% really good and Oceania is great. I loving hated Monuments.

SAOSB1 is like 8 separate ideas that have no coherency and make no sense together. I really like a couple tracks even though I'd make some changes personally. Solara and Silvery Sometimes are pretty great, Knights of Malta works a lot better with the arrangement they ended up doing live than what's on the record. A couple of the later tracks are also fine, I forget what they're called though. The like 2 harder rocking ones that sound like Machina 2 outtakes? I think one or two of the more mellow ones are alright? Alienation sounds like a loving Asia b-side.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I just got the siamese dream remaster on vinyl and while it was $50 it was definitely worth it. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

I have all three "holy trinity" remasters on Vinyl and yeah, they are absolutely worth whatever you have to spend. I have the ridiculous MCIS vinyl thing too, but it's cumbersome to deal with and I find myself not listening to it as much.

Was there an Adore vinyl remaster? I have a mono version of it that I really dig, but I'm a sucker for an extra track and a tacky badge.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I stopped paying attention to SP in 2000, is this the only version of Mellon Collie available on vinyl in the US?

https://www.discogs.com/The-Smashing-Pumpkins-Mellon-Collie-And-The-Infinite-Sadness/release/7139534

I mean I love this album but not THAT much.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Lol that the remastered MCIS vinyl set ended up costing the same amount as the original in most cases on the used market

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

polyester concept posted:

Lol that the remastered MCIS vinyl set ended up costing the same amount as the original in most cases on the used market

I'm guessing that if I ask my record store to order it for me, it will be that one that is actually available (or maybe they are only on the used market now)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Yeah it was another limited thing, pretty sure it's only available used now.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like how unfaithful it is to the original vinyl release too, which had a wildly different song order than the CD and cassette versions. My understanding is that the vinyl mastering process actually hosed a lot of poo poo up like they cut Zero way too loud for how close to the center of the record it is and it gets kinda warped.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

on the SD remaster the artwork and such is really cool, but fitting the record sleeve into those dark blue outer sleeves is a hell of a tight fit. This is my biggest complaint about the album thank you for listnening

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I still have a sealed copy of the original vinyl release of Siamese Dream I bought, circa 1998. This might be one of the rare exceptions where sealed isn't worth as much as an opened copy because I'm not 100% sure what the vinyl color is. My buddy bought a copy at the same time and store that I did, and his I believe ended up being pink so chances are mine is as well.

Looking at prices on discogs, it is miiiighty tempting to open it...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ballz posted:

I still have a sealed copy of the original vinyl release of Siamese Dream I bought, circa 1998. This might be one of the rare exceptions where sealed isn't worth as much as an opened copy because I'm not 100% sure what the vinyl color is. My buddy bought a copy at the same time and store that I did, and his I believe ended up being pink so chances are mine is as well.

Looking at prices on discogs, it is miiiighty tempting to open it...

why didn't you open it and listen to it

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

actionjackson posted:

why didn't you open it and listen to it

If I wanted to listen to it, I already had it on CD.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

I like how unfaithful it is to the original vinyl release too, which had a wildly different song order than the CD and cassette versions. My understanding is that the vinyl mastering process actually hosed a lot of poo poo up like they cut Zero way too loud for how close to the center of the record it is and it gets kinda warped.

Yeah it's horrendous unless you spend big bucks on an expensive stylus that can track it a bit easier. All songs that are close to the spindle on that pressing sound bad, but Zero is turbofucked.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ballz posted:

If I wanted to listen to it, I already had it on CD.

vinyl is better though

did you just buy it as an investment to sell later?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

actionjackson posted:

vinyl is better though

did you just buy it as an investment to sell later?

:shrug:

I never got around to opening it and after a certain point it felt weird if I were to open it. I never had much desire to sell it... until maybe now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
2 new Smashing Pumpkins songs

Cyr - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reIUbVUbVZA

The Color of Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KwkCtVrL8E

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 28, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Didn't expect the new album to go straight synthpop but here we are.

edit: It's Billy so you never know but I think the song is "Cyr" like the beginning of Cyrillic and not the abbreviation CYR

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Didn't expect the new album to go straight synthpop but here we are.

edit: It's Billy so you never know but I think the song is "Cyr" like the beginning of Cyrillic and not the abbreviation CYR

Your right it’s just Cyr. I did it all caps while I was looking at the artwork thing in the video so that’s my bad.

Edit: I think Billy was saying this might be a double album, and if that’s the case I wonder if one disc is more of this stuff, and the other goes more traditional pumpkins/heavier guitars. I like these songs though. Way better than anything on Monuments.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 28, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
In all fairness to you, one would also expect "cog" to not be an acronym when you're talking about wheels and it's pronounced "cog" but again it's Billy so actually "cog" is "C.O.G." which stands for "creation of god" as everyone knows.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

In all fairness to you, one would also expect "cog" to not be an acronym when you're talking about wheels and it's pronounced "cog" but again it's Billy so actually "cog" is "C.O.G." which stands for "creation of god" as everyone knows.

I thought it was "Children/child of God"?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I'm confused. The Colour of Love doesn't have Billy's vocals so far forward that it sounds like he's singing at the same time a different band is playing.

Did he learn how to mix music?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Cyr's aight. Very Depeche Mode feeling. But you have loving Jimmy Chamberlin, Billy. Please use his talents more generously. Why are you using a drum machine when you have a human drum machine.

The Colour of Love sounds good in general, but the lyrics are kinda lazy. Not really much of that heartwrenching charm that he used to have.

Still better than Vol. 1 so far though, aside from like, Solara.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

So I really love darkwave/post-punk but this is...I don't know man. I think I would like it if it was some new indie group and not, I dunno, The loving Smashing Pumpkins.

But I'm also, again, one of those people who hates everything after Machina.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Okay now that I've listened to it three times.

It feels really overproduced and, as is my problem with so much of the post-2000 Smashing Pumpkins music, feels kind of emotionless. I like the synth parts, but they feel like they completely belong to another band.

ALSO WHAT IS WITH THIS COLOUR poo poo, BILLY. YOU'RE FROM loving CHICAGO.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Cyr was a dud for me, just lazy songwriting and production with non interesting melodies.

Colour of Love seems like a step in the right direction, interested in whatelse will come out from the album.

Also I think Billy needs a producer that actually does something, and Rick Rubin seems very "Hands-Off" in his production style.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Noise Machine posted:

Cyr was a dud for me, just lazy songwriting and production with non interesting melodies.

Colour of Love seems like a step in the right direction, interested in whatelse will come out from the album.

Also I think Billy needs a producer that actually does something, and Rick Rubin seems very "Hands-Off" in his production style.

I think you're probably right. The balance seems so loving off. Like the female vocals feel really out of place and jarring.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was thinking about this and like whatever they want to do some synthpop more power to them, but I'd like to hear these songs arranged for the band as it is today, with 3 guitars, bass, drums and vocals. I feel like they would both kinda rule?

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm confused. The Colour of Love doesn't have Billy's vocals so far forward that it sounds like he's singing at the same time a different band is playing.

Did he learn how to mix music?

Yeah, this is one of the better sounding mixes since the first reunion.

Framboise posted:

But you have loving Jimmy Chamberlin, Billy. Please use his talents more generously. Why are you using a drum machine when you have a human drum machine.

Jimmy's definitely not a human drum machine, his patterns are interesting and he can play and reason through really complex things but keeping a really consistent tempo has never been his thing. And that's okay! I think music should flow a little more and it's okay if it speeds up a little bit towards the climax, it just makes it more expressive. That said according to the SP instagram account (I know I know) that is actually Jimmy playing. It's possible he put down a basic beat on electronic drums or that the signal from his actual kit was just manipulated. It's better than Ghosts/Silvery Sometimes having a single Jimmy part looped for the entire song, at least there are kinda fills here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't hate them, and suspect they're grow on me. I'm a total synthpop fan though.

I agree the female vocals were ... a lot. But I like the change.

...even if it's a change back 30 years.