Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Enter the Matrix had its cheat codes unlocked on PC by doing a mini, hidden, text adventure built into the game so even though every other aspect of it was bad that ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

path of neo or enter the matrix?

Enter the Matrix was the one advertised as a tie in to Reloaded which supposedly filled in gaps in the story. There you played as either Niobe or Ghost.

Path of Neo was made much later and was basically to address bitching from Enter the Matrix players that you didn't get to play as Neo. That game was a rough retelling of the trilogy but is most famous for the ending where the Wachowski's suddenly appear in pixel form to explain that since the real ending of the trilogy doesn't work in video game form, they changed it to a fight with a giant Agent Smith.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Enter the Matrix was the one advertised as a tie in to Reloaded which supposedly filled in gaps in the story. There you played as either Niobe or Ghost.

Path of Neo was made much later and was basically to address bitching from Enter the Matrix players that you didn't get to play as Neo. That game was a rough retelling of the trilogy but is most famous for the ending where the Wachowski's suddenly appear in pixel form to explain that since the real ending of the trilogy doesn't work in video game form, they changed it to a fight with a giant Agent Smith.

oh i knew that, i was asking which game those particular complaints were referring to. Because, honestly, there's a fair bit of crossover in why they're bad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

Niobe or Ghost

who

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jada Pinkett Smith and Anthony Wong (who has done literally nothing else of note)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
That reminded me of Bruce Spence who seemed to be getting a big break in Hollywood as he was in both the Matrix sequels as the supposedly important Trainman and LOTR as the Mouth of Sauron. Seems he's still gotten work since then, but like a lesser version of Doug Jones.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lid posted:

Jada Pinkett Smith and Anthony Wong (who has done literally nothing else of note)

Hey!

He was in Ebola Syndrome!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Grendels Dad posted:

Hey!

Wrong Anthony Wong :D

Also I have never heard of this movie but Doug Jones AND Lance Henriksen sounds like the greatest thing ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna:_Where_Death_Lives

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Grendels Dad posted:

Hey!

Woof. Ebola Syndrome is probably the most repellant movie I’ve ever seen.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

That reminded me of Bruce Spence who seemed to be getting a big break in Hollywood as he was in both the Matrix sequels as the supposedly important Trainman and LOTR as the Mouth of Sauron. Seems he's still gotten work since then, but like a lesser version of Doug Jones.

he was already 57 when he was in those with a long body of work behind him (including 2 of 3 mad max movies) he's always been more of a bit actor/character actor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

aware of dog posted:

Woof. Ebola Syndrome is probably the most repellant movie I’ve ever seen.

username/avatar/first word of post combo?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchio is finally getting made
https://twitter.com/netflixfilm/status/1296111142830366721?s=21

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

aware of dog posted:

Googling this I found out Roberto Benigni was in an adaptation of Pinocchio again just last year, and apparently its not one of the worst movies ever made compared to his one in 2002?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinocchio_(2019_film)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lid posted:

Googling this I found out Roberto Benigni was in an adaptation of Pinocchio again just last year, and apparently its not one of the worst movies ever made compared to his one in 2002?

LMAO, the minute I saw that tweet I thought “Del Toro should put Roberto Benigni in the movie as a joke and then I see this post and learn someone did it completely SERIOUSLY.

Enter The Benigniocchio Verse

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
My son listens to an old version of the story on tape and I can just never get over what a dumbass Pinocchio is. I know I know, that is very much the point of the story. But I feel it's one of the more difficult stories to adapt because it's so very easy to end up with something where none of the characters have even a single redeeming quality and you quickly realize you are just watching a bunch of assholes and idiots.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lid posted:

what the gently caress, did he just go "heh yeah that last one sucked. Do over?"

while putting his fingers together and waving them around of course

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lid posted:

He was great in the Xena-esque show Legend of the Seeker several years back. Pretty fun show based on some pretty lousy books.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lid posted:

Garrone's Tale of Tales movie was really good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminds me, when was The Day The Clown Cried set for release?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminds me, when was The Day The Clown Cried set for release?

Wiki says summer of 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

aware of dog posted:

Cool cast but it had me at GDT + stop-motion animation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I still want his At the Mountains of Madness :(

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
maybe Lovecraft Country will reignite interest?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

At this point maybe Amazon or Netflix will hand Del Toro a money vault to make it happen.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

The greatest innovation, of course, is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojjzlp1g7Q&t=1844s

(30:44 if the embed didn't work)

I really dig how the fighters go up stairs and throw each other through windows. Is there a good fighting game with that kind of interactivity?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lid posted:

He was also the alien leader of the sinkhole planet in Revenge of the Sith and one of the shark voices in Finding Nemo around the same time. A good two years for him.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I still want his At the Mountains of Madness :(

I had kind of hoped the first season of The Terror might inspire someone to take another crack at it. Though the Thing remake from ten years ago was a complete bomb which probably made any ATMOM adaptation even harder to get approved by studios.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I had kind of hoped the first season of The Terror might inspire someone to take another crack at it. Though the Thing remake from ten years ago was a complete bomb which probably made any ATMOM adaptation even harder to get approved by studios.

Prequel. Though the fact that people still confuse it with a remake says a lot about the brilliant idea of just calling it The Thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's a prequel but it's practically a remake and also it's terrible. It's like everyone involved didn't understand the original at all (and no not the vegetable one).

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's a prequel but it's practically a remake and also it's terrible. It's like everyone involved didn't understand the original at all (and no not the vegetable one).

Didn't they also replace all of the practical effects with CGI for no reason?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cacator posted:

Yes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cacator posted:

No, there was a stated reason, it was just an incredibly stupid reason. The reason being it looked too much like a film from the 1980s.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I get that, at this point, CGI is probably easier to do than practical effects, but I can't imagine it's cheaper. Practical effects also give weight to these things, and I'd think it'd be better for the actors to have something to act opposite to, beyond a tennis ball on a stick or whatever they use.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

I get that, at this point, CGI is probably easier to do than practical effects, but I can't imagine it's cheaper. Practical effects also give weight to these things, and I'd think it'd be better for the actors to have something to act opposite to, beyond a tennis ball on a stick or whatever they use.

Practical effects are often more expensive just in terms of the man hours you have to pay for. Paying the full crew to be on-set is really what drives production costs up, so if you can just shoot the scene quickly and insert the effects later, often that's cheaper. It's the same reason why they use CG blood in action movies these days, all that time setting up and reappying squibs is expensive because you have to pay all those people.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://screenrant.com/thing-movie-prequel-practical-effects-bad-cgi-replacement/

quote:

In interviews given prior to The Thing 2011's release, director Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. and writer Eric Heisserer boasted about how proud they were of the prequel going practical, with only slight CGI enhancements made to Studio ADI's creations. That was until Universal demanded the film undergo heavy reshoots, including a new ending, and that new CGI effects be overlaid on top of the existing practical effects, effectively erasing them. In a later interview, Heijningen said the effects were seen as looking too much like a 1980s film, a complaint likely to leave most horror fans scratching their heads, since by all accounts the effects in Carpenter's movie look miles better than those found in the final cut of the prequel.

Some fuckwitted exec had to put their mark on it basically and screwed it all up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I mean the movie still would've been rear end with the original effects but what a waste of both time and money to make your movie look worse.

Basebf555 posted:

It's the same reason why they use CG blood in action movies these days, all that time setting up and reappying squibs is expensive because you have to pay all those people.

Using CGI blood in films should be illegal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Using CGI blood in films should be illegal.

When it's done well and for the right reasons(the John Wick films for example), it's fine. Like, when you have Keanu shooting a guy point blank in the face and you need to show the bullet blowing out the back of the guy's skull, ok I get why that needs to be CG. And they don't cheap out on it, it's done as well as it can be done, even if you can still tell it's CG.

The problem is you have a lot of low budget action movies using it as a short cut and they do it amateurishly.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The problem is the industry has become too reliant on CG. CG is nessisary, but it works much better when it's used to plaster over the cracks, but instead they turn it into load-bearing drywall.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
CG allows directors to change camera angles and positioning on the fly, which many of them prefer. Practical effects usually require extensive pre-planning of the shot so that the effect works from the angle the camera is at. The ability to add in new scenes or do reshoots without needing to specially craft a new model is the biggest reason for CG preference over practical effects.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

I mean the movie still would've been rear end with the original effects but what a waste of both time and money to make your movie look worse.

I mean, even as-is, it was fine, honestly? Like, I didn't really have any beef with that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never understood the desire for a Snyder cut, when you could just watch Shazam and Birds of Prey a second time. Aquaman too if you're drunk and you mute the Pitbull segue.