Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asphyxious posted:

I prefer to watch. Especially at this point.

*calls out loudly across the room*

"hey bif! what's that thing called where people are reluctant to engage with the thread? you know... the thing... whaddaya call that again?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

also i just fell down the war40k wiki hole for the last hour and a half

the imperium is cut in half! when did that happen?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

oh wait that hasn't happened yet *taps side of nose*

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

hambeet posted:

I wish 40k were as interesting a game as the lore makes it look like.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

hambeet posted:

"hey bif! what's that thing called where people are reluctant to engage with the thread? you know... the thing... whaddaya call that again?"

I’m engaging :)

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Amnistar posted:

Same. I almost got bamboozled into starting up an army and then I discovered it’s just a bunch of measuring and rolling dice.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

So the hammer is in about 12 hours which I will most likely be out of action for.

There has been a lot of poo poo posting (including 100% of my content) and jockeying for position over the course of this Day 1. I personally believe scum hunting on Day 1 shitposts is basically just an application of meta, which while viable data on a personal level, doesn't mean poo poo to me because I barely know you people.

Example:

That's great but IDK if Bif is telling the truth as a long time mafia player who drew town this game. Or if Bif is pulling bullshit out of her rear end to try and throw suspicion on some poor sap.

I prefer to get a lynch and some night actions in to let me play with more cards in my hand before I begin to put more effort in.

Probability says that the bandwagoning on sandnavyguy (as of this post) will result in an unfortunate town flip so I am torn between joining in to feel security with my vote going towards getting me some info. Or to stick with my vote which is currently on Bif (I say now out that it's for 0 actual reasons and I just picked a target to have a go at but, I will leave it up to you peeps individually to determine if I am lying here or not).

I'm gonna hold off on deciding if I wanna flip targets till I go to bed.

Now I am sure people will be saying "But Asslocked you haven't posted any reads on people." And that is 100% correct. I haven't posted reads. As stated above I dislike and also don't have the meta knowledge required to pull magical theories, the only thing I have is a lot of people arguing using meta and jokes which is hard to read with out the meta data. Do you see the recursive loop? Yeah.

I promise I will do reads in the future, assuming I don't go out like a a coward day 1. So until I decide to flip or not flip I guess I will see you nice goons in Day 2, or maybe in Night 1 if someone decides to knock on my door and pay a visit.

Thank you for this great post, Grid.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

hambeet posted:

age of smegmar

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Amnistar posted:

totally. i never got into the gaming side of it, i just really like reading the lore

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

hambeet posted:

totally. i never got into the gaming side of it, i just really like reading the lore

r u a gork or a mork?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Mr. Humalong posted:

Same. I almost got bamboozled into starting up an army and then I discovered it’s just a bunch of measuring and rolling dice.

hambeet posted:

I actually play the fantasy version, it is absolutely as nerdy as it looks.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Amnistar posted:

I actually play the fantasy version, it is absolutely as nerdy as it looks.

I have both the total wars and I've enjoyed them

A video game version of 40k would be insane but GW would never allow it because then they can't steal money from nerds who drop $100 on a single model

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Back to gamechat: I didn't like that initial SNG post but since then he's drifted closer to a town read for me, plus there's a couple people on the vote for him that have me going "mmmmmmm nah mate" that I don't want to have him be the vote for today.

##vote DGK I like DGK for scum of the 4 people with 2 votes. Day 1, no super strong reads, yada yada

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Mr. Humalong posted:

Back to gamechat: I didn't like that initial SNG post but since then he's drifted closer to a town read for me, plus there's a couple people on the vote for him that have me going "mmmmmmm nah mate" that I don't want to have him be the vote for today.

##vote DGK I like DGK for scum of the 4 people with 2 votes. Day 1, no super strong reads, yada yada

Still not even a case on me but whatevs

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Rarity posted:

Yeah I'm not seeing the case on sandy. I made this exact post as town in my early games when people were casing me aggressively and I felt like every single thing I did was being taken the wrong way.

I think people may be getting unduly swayed by the fact that SNG was just scum in a very recent game and they think his posting here is similar.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

hambeet posted:

Gaspy also gets the D1 waiting period.

(This used to be a 2-day waiting period but I've been dying on D1/N1 a bunch lately so there have had to be cutbacks)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

As for Gridlocked - meta does often play a big part in D1 casing cause people don't have much else to go on yet. Or even as people's posts and reactions do start trickling in, people will keep judging them in the context of meta, cause we don't have any results yet to point to. (Oh look, that post must've been helping that scum, or thtlat mislunch, etc)

The scales will naturally start to tip as the flips come in, and we can start to see people's records. But meta doesn't have to be the only thing you comment on D1. I didn't need any meta on binus to still say "hey why didn't you vote me then". And the people getting impatient with Gaspy rn aren't familiar with his meta, so they're just diving right in to ask what the gently caress.

So c'mon dude, you can still at least try and make some waves.

And you don't need to know or believe any of what I said about Toal to notice they still aren't showing up yet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bifauxnen posted:

And the people getting impatient with Gaspy rn aren't familiar with his meta, so they're just diving right in to ask what the gently caress.

For clarity despite having a go at him I'm not saying Gaspy is scummed. I've played with Cpig and derp loads so I recognise a lovely no-content poster when I see one and it's not a scum tell. Gridlocked's post on the other hand looked scummy af

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Rarity posted:

For clarity despite having a go at him I'm not saying Gaspy is scummed. I've played with Cpig and derp loads so I recognise a lovely no-content poster when I see one and it's not a scum tell. Gridlocked's post on the other hand looked scummy af

Yeah, actively excusing himself from casing is a step down from exclusively shitposting. I do worry that it's a bit too easy, though. Might just be my vague memory of the last time he got mislunched.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah, actively excusing himself from casing is a step down from exclusively shitposting. I do worry that it's a bit too easy, though. Might just be my vague memory of the last time he got mislunched.

We just have to believe in ourselves and anything is possible :peanut:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

hambeet posted:

hey real talk sanguinius kinda looks like trump there

lol

Mr. Humalong posted:

Hum. I trust you and clearly town don't care about my wonderful Sci argument. ##vote DGK

To be clear, I am not calling sci out for thinking amni and sng are scum. I'm calling him out because his arguments don't track as someone who was very suspicious of amnistar and then suddenly voting with amnistar in the same day. It reeks of scum mind because scum forget what it is like to be suspicious of someone, with that kind of read he should have assumed amnistar was making an easy case on town. Instead he votes with amni, with very little explanation. Because he's scum and his read of amni was faked.

For further reading please see this helpful mafia wiki article.

I'm not voting sci because he said disingenuous rarity, I'm voting based on my case. I just hate it when people attack a poster's mindset because it's lovely and he did a lot of that as scum last game too.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Toalpaz posted:

lol

Hum. I trust you and clearly town don't care about my wonderful Sci argument. ##vote DGK

To be clear, I am not calling sci out for thinking amni and sng are scum. I'm calling him out because his arguments don't track as someone who was very suspicious of amnistar and then suddenly voting with amnistar in the same day. It reeks of scum mind because scum forget what it is like to be suspicious of someone, with that kind of read he should have assumed amnistar was making an easy case on town. Instead he votes with amni, with very little explanation. Because he's scum and his read of amni was faked.

For further reading please see this helpful mafia wiki article.

I'm not voting sci because he said disingenuous rarity, I'm voting based on my case. I just hate it when people attack a poster's mindset because it's lovely and he did a lot of that as scum last game too.

This vote is lazy and scummy as gently caress.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bifauxnen posted:

As for Gridlocked - meta does often play a big part in D1 casing cause people don't have much else to go on yet. Or even as people's posts and reactions do start trickling in, people will keep judging them in the context of meta, cause we don't have any results yet to point to. (Oh look, that post must've been helping that scum, or thtlat mislunch, etc)

The scales will naturally start to tip as the flips come in, and we can start to see people's records. But meta doesn't have to be the only thing you comment on D1. I didn't need any meta on binus to still say "hey why didn't you vote me then". And the people getting impatient with Gaspy rn aren't familiar with his meta, so they're just diving right in to ask what the gently caress.

So c'mon dude, you can still at least try and make some waves.

And you don't need to know or believe any of what I said about Toal to notice they still aren't showing up yet.

Its 2:30am cause I'm a dickhead and got distracted watching YouTube and didn't notice the time so I am super ultra going to bed after this post.

Thank you for your above post Bif. You are of course right that meta doesn't have to be the only thing commented on during D1. I concede I am being a bit overwhelmed by the multitude of meta plays that go straight over my head, and as such I am being very lazy about taking approaches other than showing contempt for the thing I don't get.

That being said the last post in the thread as I write this is the below snipped post from Toalpaz which is actually similar to a tactic I've used in a few Werewolf games with friends:

So yes I could have been less of a deadshit.

However it is still like 2:30am and I really need to sleep so I will at least tie the vote as it stands between DGK and sandnavyguy (currently 4 for DGK and 5 for sandnavyguy before this post goes up) and let the rest of the people who do the non-Aus/pre-work posts to drop the hammer. Sorry I will put a bit more effort into D1's in future games and whinge less about the meta.

##vote DGK2000

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I see DGK posted above me.

Sorry if you're town bud but rest assured I will go after your murders, minus myself for as long as possible, to avenge your death when you inevitably flip town.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Votecount for Day 1

DGK2000 (5): b-minus1, Asphyxious, Mr. Humalong, Toalpaz, Gridlocked
sandnavyguy (5): Amnistar, Scientastic, Hal Incandenza, DGK2000, Sandwolf
Hal Incandenza (2): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, t a s t e, Rarity
Amnistar (2): SHALASHASKA HAWKE, SHALASHASKA HAWKE, Scientastic, Scientastic, sandnavyguy, Bifauxnen, Epsilon Plus, Epsilon Plus, Epsilon Plus, Bifauxnen, Epsilon Plus, Epsilon Plus
Rarity (1): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Scientastic, Scientastic, SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Bifauxnen (1): Rarity, Hal Incandenza, Rarity, SHALASHASKA HAWKE, SHALASHASKA HAWKE, hambeet, Gridlocked, Hal Incandenza, Gridlocked
Toalpaz (1): Scientastic, Scientastic, Bifauxnen
Gridlocked (0): SHALASHASKA HAWKE, Scientastic, SHALASHASKA HAWKE, Scientastic
Asphyxious (0): Mr. Humalong, Mr. Humalong
hambeet (0): Asphyxious, Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Bifauxnen
t a s t e (0): DGK2000, DGK2000
b-minus1 (0): Scientastic, Bifauxnen, Scientastic, Rarity, DGK2000, Bifauxnen, Rarity, DGK2000
Scientastic (0): Rarity, Rarity, Amnistar, Toalpaz, Rarity, Amnistar, Toalpaz, Toalpaz, Rarity, Toalpaz

Not Voting (1): tpink

With 18 alive, it's 10 votes to execute. The current deadline is August 21st, 2020 at 10 a.m. AEST -- that's in about 7 hours, 15 minutes.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Well this is concerning.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

Sorry if you're town bud but rest assured I will go after your murders, minus myself for as long as possible, to avenge your death when you inevitably flip town.

Whaaaaa t t t ?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

This is a really bad look. You literally only voted DGK to make it a tie between them and SandNav and just said you think that DGK is town....

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I don't usually go for "so bad it's town" but I almost feel that it is appropriate here.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I haven’t seen a good vote on DGK, they’re all bad

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I haven’t seen a good vote on DGK, they’re all bad

Agreed.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Agreed that’s a real real bad post from Gridlocked

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Amnistar posted:

This is a really bad look. You literally only voted DGK to make it a tie between them and SandNav and just said you think that DGK is town....

while I think gridlock's vote is bad this post is dogshit; gridlocked doesn't state DGK is town, only that

Gridlocked posted:

which is primarily a (dumb, bad) joke about probability, much like this statement made earlier

Gridlocked posted:

Probability says that the bandwagoning on sandnavyguy (as of this post) will result in an unfortunate town flip

neither of these are really alignment calls (which is bad) but you're really strongly mischaracterizing gridlocked's posts imo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
LET'S DO THIS PEOPLE

##vote Gridlocked

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

That would really be bending over backwards to protect SNG in the worst way possible by Gridlocked. It's a terrible post but if there are scum on the DGK vote I would think it is more likely Toalpaz or Gaspy. Toal particularly has gone to the effort of making an excuse to vote DGK that doesn't really hold up, I think town are far more likely to change their mind and vote with someone they thought was scum, scum are the ones who are going to be more concerned with appearance and feel like they need to justify their reasons for making that switch.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rarity posted:

LET'S DO THIS PEOPLE

##vote Gridlocked

Naturally!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
NO HAL WE'RE DOING GRIDLOCKED IT'S BEEN DECIDED

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Gridlocked posted:

lol

## vote Gridlocked

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
We have a slam dunk case on DGK and you want to vote Gridlock?

For day 1, picking someone who isn't a front runner, and then voting them on a gut feel near end of day is almost a sure fire way to catch scum. I don't thin momentum builds up gradually on scum over the course of a day, at least not usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I don’t think SNG disappearing once other people got attention is in ANY way proof of his towniness. If you’ve come to that conclusion I think you need to reassess.