Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm reading through this thread and trying to figure out which monitor would be best for my needs, and can't quite tell.

Uses: Typical web use, and office-type work. Gaming for sure, but definitely nothing competitive. I don't need 160fps in the latest COD, but when I play Destiny 2 or Remnant with my pals in Discord it would be great if it looked excellent and ran smoothly. The casual gaming is certainly my driving feature. Notably, I do no video/photo editing, or even really any video watching. (Couldn't tell you the last time I watched a movie in my office.)

System: AMD 3600, Radeon 5700 gpu, U2412M

Notes: My office gets a lot of natural light, so something that can handle that reasonably well would be appreciated. No pitch-black gaming caves here. Additionally, I sit fairly close - 2' maybe? I can just about reach out and touch my monitor from my chair if I sit up straight. I might be able to move it back a few inches if I play with my monitor arm; I haven't tried.

At the moment I'd like the following features, and I'm not eager to pay for much beyond these benchmarks:
140hz
1440p
No TN
Freesync

The closer to $400 (or under) I can get, the happier I'd be.

Here's the model numbers that have popped up for me. All show up on "best of" lists.
LG 27GL83A-B (https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07YGZL8XF)
LG 27GL850-B (https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-b)
Dell S3220DGF (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-32-led-curved-qhd-freesync-monitor-with-hdr/6375331.p?skuId=6375331)
AORUS FI27Q (https://www.newegg.com/black-gigabyte-aorus-fi27q-sa-27/p/N82E16824012010)
AORUS CV27Q-SA (https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012009)

Given that I've got a room with some bountiful natural light and sit relatively close, does that push me towards any of those specifically? Or something else entirely?

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

v1ld posted:

My brother's looking to get a 34-38" Ultrawide monitor for work and netflix, absolutely no gaming at all. Most of the use will be text-based apps / spreadsheets for work and as a Netflix display when he's using the workout machines from a 4-6 feet away.

The other big features he'd like are thunderbolt ports and picture-in-picture. He plans to hook up a windows laptop and a Mac Mini or equiv simultaneously. Given Thunderbolt is DisplayPort compatible, it seems cheaper to go for DP - right?

Any suggestions? Would VA be a good choice here? He's concerned that curved displays would make it more difficult to watch a movie from the exercise bike, but are there good flat displays at that size?

FYI, A fair amount of 16:9 TV content will be black barred on a 21:9 Ultrawide and he should know that going into it — honestly in his shoes I’d dumpster the Mac look at thunderbolt to HDMI adapters (no idea if they’re any good, but I’d look into it at least) and get a TV that’s 16:9. $1000 buys a looooot of TV now.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Just popping in to say that I got my 27GL850 today and I'm really happy with it so far.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Former Human posted:

Sup U2412 buddy. People think I'm weird for preferring a 16:10 ratio but Asus, Acer, and LG still make them.

Sadly my U2412 is experiencing some pretty bad burn-in, and not coincidentally it lines up with the format of YouTube, so when I build a new PC I will replace the monitor as well.

I absolutely love 16:10, you can fit the taskbar and full screen a video! It is perfect for Netflix off monitor! I find more and more games force 16:9 with black borders. 16:10 support used to be a given in PC titles.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Loezi posted:

Just popping in to say that I got my 27GL850 today and I'm really happy with it so far.

I ended up ordering the same after reading this thread and going through other places obsessively. Should be delivered soon, can't wait!

Still have to choose if I want to keep two monitor setup or maybe switch to 3 monitors and have one of them turned upwards with pivot. I tried it out for a bit and its actually pretty great for web browser use (excluding videos).

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

DeadlyHalibut posted:

I ended up ordering the same after reading this thread and going through other places obsessively. Should be delivered soon, can't wait!

Still have to choose if I want to keep two monitor setup or maybe switch to 3 monitors and have one of them turned upwards with pivot. I tried it out for a bit and its actually pretty great for web browser use (excluding videos).

An ergonomics heads up, the stand included with the monitor, while completely adequate, is not quite as good as my old trusty Dell U2412M's stand was.

First, the lowest the monitor will go is still about 12cm (a bit under 5", measured from table to bottom edge of the panel) from the table which means the "two-thirds-up" point of the monitor is about 32cm (12½") from the table. This is significantly higher than the lowest the U2412M's stand goes. It's not a problem if you are sitting as the ergonomy people suggest, but if you are doing the goon slouch with your feet on the table, it might be a bit high.

Second, the stand is surprisingly deep, taking up 24cm of space (~9½") front-to-back. It's also a weird boomerang shape, so you can have stuff closer to the monitor at its center, but towards the edges you have these two arms poking out 6cm (~2½") in front of the monitor. I'm looking at buying one of those gas arm things anyways, but if you were planning to use the default stand on a very small desk, take some measurements first and check how it aligns with your keyboard and mouse setup.

Those poking-out-bits might well be exactly where you'd like to have your keyboard.

E: Also, I didn't notice it when looking at the spec, but the stand doesn't do the "left side back, right side forwards" motion (I can never remember the English terminology, it's not my first language) which is kinda :confused: for a monitor of this cost.

E2: It works super well as a dual-use monitor with a laptop! It's connected with DP to my desktop and I have a HDMI cable that I attach to my laptop.

Loezi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 18, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't been keeping up with monitors lately -- what's the latest panel that best matches my old ASUS ROG PG279Q (VRR/G-Sync compatible, 27", IPS, 1440p)? Hopefully at a much saner price point with better longterm reliability so that I don't have to fight against stuck pixels and burn-in. I'd settle for a simple VRR instead of G-Sync if that means it won't break the bank.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
So I bought a 4k and 1440p LG to test, Why does the 4K look more yellow, or is it darker? Both settings are the same.

Also, using remote desktop, it seems the 4k one is slightly laggier, is this just in my head?

I think I will keep the 1440p, thank you for the recommendation.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

exquisite tea posted:

I haven't been keeping up with monitors lately -- what's the latest panel that best matches my old ASUS ROG PG279Q (VRR/G-Sync compatible, 27", IPS, 1440p)? Hopefully at a much saner price point with better longterm reliability so that I don't have to fight against stuck pixels and burn-in. I'd settle for a simple VRR instead of G-Sync if that means it won't break the bank.

My personal recommendation is the LG 27GL850, I got that a few days ago on the recommendation of this very thread's general consensus and it is absolutely worth every penny. 1440p144 27 inch, incredibly fast response times (4ms on the standard fast mode) with Gsync compatibility and full-fledged freesync support as well. Runs like a dream with my 1080ti. It's considered the budget king at the moment.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

exquisite tea posted:

What do you want this monitor for? Did your PG279Q break or something? 2nd monitor? Other PC? etc.

But yeah the LG 27GL83A or the 27GL850 if you're in a region where the 27GL83A isn't available tends to be the best all-around option for the category you're looking at.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It’s got some dead/stuck pixels in some unfortunately conspicuous areas of the screen and has developed some greyish burn-in at the top left, now a year past warranty. Overall I’m unsatisfied with paying as much money as I did and want a safer option now that gsync is far more widespread.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I assume the dead pixel thing has always been there? Those AUO panels definitely had terrible QC for the first several years, but developing dead pixels over time is a new one to me.

TFTs in general and specifically IPS panels really don't burn in. They can have image retention, but that usually goes away if they're powered off for a bit, or if you run something that exercises the pixels. It's possible that you're seeing some kind of backlight issue though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's apparently a known issue with this particular monitor, horizontal streaks that appear after the monitor comes back from being powered off and gradually fade over time. Except mine seems to stay there for hours.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

K8.0 posted:

But yeah the LG 27GL83A or the 27GL850 if you're in a region where the 27GL83A isn't available tends to be the best all-around option for the category you're looking at.

In the UK they're both available and are the same price. I just bought the 850-B as it seemed marginally higher spec with some USB ports and something about a higher colour range? And some marketing sounding stuff involving the word nano.

Did I make the right choice?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

GTO posted:

In the UK they're both available and are the same price. I just bought the 850-B as it seemed marginally higher spec with some USB ports and something about a higher colour range? And some marketing sounding stuff involving the word nano.

Did I make the right choice?

Yeah, they're virtually identical except for the USB hub.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-27gl850-vs-lg-27gl83a-b/912/1627

Literally if you can get the 83A, buy that instead as it's cheaper. (not sure why the 83A is the same price in the UK, it should be cheaper)

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-27gl850-vs-lg-27gl83a-b/912/1627

Literally if you can get the 83A, buy that instead as it's cheaper. (not sure why the 83A is the same price in the UK, it should be cheaper)

Everything normally costs way more over here so maybe its the 83 being more expensive than it should be. Its rare we ever get a 'good deal' in the UK!

Here are the links for reference - the 850 seems to be semi-exclusive to a few retailers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XLDLZPF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UevpFb81933T2

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...204170-pdt.html

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I got mine from OCUK for 440 so that's about right yeah.

It's worth noting the 27GL850's RRP in the UK is 500, the current price of 440 seems to be a special/limited time deal so we both picked a good time to get it. That also explains its current parity with the 83A.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Been using the LG C9 as a gaming monitor. Its loving incredible. 1440p @ 120hz with real HDR and contrast, can't wait for new gpus to come out so I can game at 4K @ 120hz and use g sync.

Might even use it as a monitor with dynamic wallpaper and hidden desktop icons.

Highly recommend anyone thinking about a TV monitor the 48" CX it will literally check all the boxes for everything you want if have the deskspace or enjoy pc from the couch. LG will normally discount as new models come out so I'd wait.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

the 850 is a nice monitor too but in practical terms the only thing you get for $50 more is a built-in USB hub. Other than the USB hub it's the same panel but with a different backlight or something like that.

HDR isn't a thing on IPS monitors right now, they are not capable of generating enough contrast to really make it work. HDR400 is sometimes called "fake HDR" because of this.

they are pretty similar and the price is not really that different so if the 83A is not in stock and you are in a hurry to get it, you want the USB hub, or it just bothers you knowing that this isn't "the best" version of that monitor then whatever, it's only 50 bucks.

What about HDR 400 on VA panels?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The comparison literally shows the color space difference. The 27GL850 has a wider SDR gamut/volume. Not something most users care about but it does exist. Their tests do show the 27GL83A having a slightly wider HDR color gamut but even if that's consistently the case, ain't nobody using HDR on those monitors.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I got mine from OCUK for 440 so that's about right yeah.

It's worth noting the 27GL850's RRP in the UK is 500, the current price of 440 seems to be a special/limited time deal so we both picked a good time to get it. That also explains its current parity with the 83A.

Amazon and Currys both had them for £380 last month :ssh:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

K8.0 posted:

The comparison literally shows the color space difference. The 27GL850 has a wider SDR gamut/volume. Not something most users care about but it does exist. Their tests do show the 27GL83A having a slightly wider HDR color gamut but even if that's consistently the case, ain't nobody using HDR on those monitors.

The differences RTings got between the two are panel variance. They both use the exact same panel inside (LM270WQA-SSA1) confirmed by people tearing theirs apart all over the internet, they both use the same driver board, the same housing, the same stand, the same driver in windows. They are the same monitors, but one has a USB hub (and the ability to update the firmware theoretically someday).

You can also get the same panel in the Lenovo Y27q-20, ViewSonic XG270QG, or the AOC AG273QXP. Or you can buy the panel alone yourself off of Aliexpress for $160, lol.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Femur posted:

So I bought a 4k and 1440p LG to test, Why does the 4K look more yellow, or is it darker? Both settings are the same.

Also, using remote desktop, it seems the 4k one is slightly laggier, is this just in my head?

I think I will keep the 1440p, thank you for the recommendation.

It’s probably laggier because of the amount of pixels it’s working with. You could try running it at 1440p to see if that changes anything.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm reading through this thread and trying to figure out which monitor would be best for my needs, and can't quite tell.

Uses: Typical web use, and office-type work. Gaming for sure, but definitely nothing competitive. I don't need 160fps in the latest COD, but when I play Destiny 2 or Remnant with my pals in Discord it would be great if it looked excellent and ran smoothly. The casual gaming is certainly my driving feature. Notably, I do no video/photo editing, or even really any video watching. (Couldn't tell you the last time I watched a movie in my office.)

System: AMD 3600, Radeon 5700 gpu, U2412M

Notes: My office gets a lot of natural light, so something that can handle that reasonably well would be appreciated. No pitch-black gaming caves here. Additionally, I sit fairly close - 2' maybe? I can just about reach out and touch my monitor from my chair if I sit up straight. I might be able to move it back a few inches if I play with my monitor arm; I haven't tried.

At the moment I'd like the following features, and I'm not eager to pay for much beyond these benchmarks:
140hz
1440p
No TN
Freesync

The closer to $400 (or under) I can get, the happier I'd be.

Here's the model numbers that have popped up for me. All show up on "best of" lists.
LG 27GL83A-B (https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07YGZL8XF)
LG 27GL850-B (https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-b)
Dell S3220DGF (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-32-led-curved-qhd-freesync-monitor-with-hdr/6375331.p?skuId=6375331)
AORUS FI27Q (https://www.newegg.com/black-gigabyte-aorus-fi27q-sa-27/p/N82E16824012010)
AORUS CV27Q-SA (https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012009)

Given that I've got a room with some bountiful natural light and sit relatively close, does that push me towards any of those specifically? Or something else entirely?
I'm still curious if having my computer in a room with a lot of natural light should meaningfully impact my monitor choice.

Related, but is it possible to get a monitor that's 100hz+, has good hdr, and is less than $800? Seems like you get to pick two of those, but not all three.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Does anyone here have thoughts on bias lighting kits? I have a dell U3415w at home and I love it but since we rearranged the room its in the light in that area isnt as strong. I was thinking of picking up a kit to help with eye strain but most of the things I read are either focused on people who want RGB lights synced with the ones in their case or more TV focused. My brief search has me considering something like this kit but Im not sure if its the right thing for me. The monitor is fairly close to a wall, maybe 6 inches out.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I'm still curious if having my computer in a room with a lot of natural light should meaningfully impact my monitor choice.

Maybe. That is one of the downsides of the 27GL83A, it's not super bright and if you're going to use it in a VERY bright location and prefer your monitors on the bright side it might not satisfy you. Hard to say though.

Related, but is it possible to get a monitor that's 100hz+, has good hdr, and is less than $800? Seems like you get to pick two of those, but not all three.

No. HDR is a joke on PC though, so there is no reason to actually want HDR. Monitors are already way too bright at the distances you sit, so the thing you'd need would be deeper blacks, and LCDs can't do that. PC HDR won't be meaningful until OLED/MicroLED/whatever is a mainstream thing on the desktop.

Grundma posted:

Does anyone here have thoughts on bias lighting kits? I have a dell U3415w at home and I love it but since we rearranged the room its in the light in that area isnt as strong. I was thinking of picking up a kit to help with eye strain but most of the things I read are either focused on people who want RGB lights synced with the ones in their case or more TV focused. My brief search has me considering something like this kit but Im not sure if its the right thing for me. The monitor is fairly close to a wall, maybe 6 inches out.

Looks like someone took one of the five billion LED strip kits you can buy on Amazon and marked it up 200%.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 19, 2020

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

tuyop posted:

It’s probably laggier because of the amount of pixels it’s working with. You could try running it at 1440p to see if that changes anything.

That did improve it, thank you.

I also figured out the yellow thing. It is because I changed to 4:4:4 in the nvidia control panel. Switched back to default, and its more similar now. the 1440p seems to not be affected either way.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Maybe. That is one of the downsides of the 27GL83A, it's not super bright and if you're going to use it in a VERY bright location and prefer your monitors on the bright side it might not satisfy you. Hard to say though.
Hm, ok. It's not, like, that room in Sunshine bright. It's a small western-facing room with traditional-sized windows on three walls. They have blinds on them, but the room doesn't get dark until the sun is set, and there's always an hour or two each day when the sun is low in the sky that it makes playing games, especially ones with low light, more of a "rough guess" situation. It'd be nice to have a monitor that was better equipped to handle that, but I suspect the only true solution would require blackout curtains. Primarily I don't want to get anything that's going to make the situation worse.

K8.0 posted:

No. HDR is a joke on PC though, so there is no reason to actually want HDR. Monitors are already way too bright at the distances you sit, so the thing you'd need would be deeper blacks, and LCDs can't do that. PC HDR won't be meaningful until OLED/MicroLED/whatever is a mainstream thing on the desktop.
Good to know, thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Green Gloves posted:

Been using the LG C9 as a gaming monitor. Its loving incredible. 1440p @ 120hz with real HDR and contrast, can't wait for new gpus to come out so I can game at 4K @ 120hz and use g sync.

Might even use it as a monitor with dynamic wallpaper and hidden desktop icons.

Highly recommend anyone thinking about a TV monitor the 48" CX it will literally check all the boxes for everything you want if have the deskspace or enjoy pc from the couch. LG will normally discount as new models come out so I'd wait.

just wondering what your desktop layout looks like to use something that big as a monitor. i've been considering using a (cheaper) tv myself.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Rinkles posted:

just wondering what your desktop layout looks like to use something that big as a monitor. i've been considering using a (cheaper) tv myself.

Its way too big at 55" for desk use. My layout is pretty typical I have zoom at 150%. Primarily use is on the couch with a lapdesk. Puts the ultrawide to shame.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
My LG 27GL83A-B came in the mail and I gotta say: this is a helluva improvement over a six year-old Dell monitor. I am constantly impressed with how much more visual real estate a simple jump from 24" to 27" actually is

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

My LG 27GL83A-B came in the mail and I gotta say: this is a helluva improvement over a six year-old Dell monitor. I am constantly impressed with how much more visual real estate a simple jump from 24" to 27" actually is

Yeah, mine arrived a couple weeks ago, upgrading a 10 year old Dell 2311. I'd say the difference was... stark.

Cygni posted:

RTings measured the 83A having a wider color space than their 850, funny enough. I have an 83A and some friends have bought em too. I've run an Xrite i1 colorimeter on 3 of em so far and i saw the same thing. Wide color gamuts in all of em, even though LG doesn't advertise it.

Were the calibrated settings on those fairly consistent? If so, can you share them? I know given the variance that they won't be perfect, but there's not much info out there for this model and something should be better than nothing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thinking of investing in a VESA arm monitor mount, for ADJUSTMENT AND SWIVEL fun times (and also so I can angle it towards my bed for movies). Anything i should be aware of when shopping? Never bought one before

Got an LG27 GL850 if that matters

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I just got an arm swivel mount from Monoprice, which was nice. I ended up having to drill a hole into my desk since my original plan of just clamping it on was prevented by ... well, the shape of my desk. So definitely look into that. Also I need to add like ~2 feet to my HDMI/displayport wires since they were just dropping down to my computer instead of running along the swivel for cable management. Just something to consider.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
I got my LG 27GL850 and it's pretty great! The monitor stand is questionable but its not as bad as I thought, once you set it up you can pretty much ignore it.

Do I benefit something from keeping the LG software (onscreen control) on and do I need to update it regularly?

DeadlyHalibut fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 20, 2020

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

DeadlyHalibut posted:

I got my LG 27GL850 and it's pretty great! The monitor stand is questionable but its not as bad as I thought, once you set it up you can pretty much ignore it.

Do I benefit something from keeping the LG software (onscreen control) on and do I need to update it regularly?

If you want to control the monitor inside windows keep it otherwise it's unnecessary

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

If you want to control the monitor inside windows keep it otherwise it's unnecessary

Aight, thanks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is this the new monitor hotness that everyone is recommending? For some reason it's $150 cheaper to me than anywhere else I look (besides having to wait until October to get it shipped).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

exquisite tea posted:

Is this the new monitor hotness that everyone is recommending? For some reason it's $150 cheaper to me than anywhere else I look (besides having to wait until October to get it shipped).

yup, that's the one

also it'll probably ship before October, Amazon's delivery estimates are usually pessimistic. So be prepared for it to hit your card at some point here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

That's the one, go for it if you can. I'd see if you can find it from elsewhere for a similar price though, that seems like an awful long time to wait.