Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
but nbsd uses it all day every day at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

eschaton posted:

but nbsd uses it all day every day at work

Qwertycoatl posted:

as if you could do this without wishing you were dead

Checks out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

people seem to get really excited about being able to use x11 on a computer on the other side of the world, as if you could do this without wishing you were dead. it's worse than any other way of sending screen contents long-distance except that it narrowly beats out having your elderly mother explain to you over the phone what she's seeing on her screen
Yeah I don't get it. It seems to be completely unusable now anyway. Rather than whining about network transparency, people should just focus on making something that works as well as RDP for Wayland.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
my favorite part is the subthread where someone replies to me with "network transparency is simple it just means ABC", and then someone else comes in to correct them about what network transparency actually means, which is literally my whole point lmao

meanwhile i haven't worked on any of this for more than 4 years

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
please watch my videos though i worked super hard on them and i think they're yospos-adjacent content

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Suspicious Dish posted:

please watch my videos though i worked super hard on them and i think they're yospos-adjacent content

they are good, op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

oh yeah, they are really good stuff. i am not so secretly very happy that you burned out on the x11 project, as all the noclip stuff and the videos are way better vehicles for your efforts.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why did I spend 4 year getting a CS degree for Web Development when people doing coding bootcamp for a few weeks and are able to get same jobs?

What the hell?

Did I waste my time doing CS if I want to get into web dev?

Seem like CS is more for thing like embedded engineering, data engineering, etc.

What is point of CS degree if i want to become web dev???

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
your cs degree was supposed to have given you enough sense and taste to not become a web dev

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i don’t see how you touch a database and not understand how some of that CS content beyond a basic boot camp is useful

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if you're a web dev you don't touch the database

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
computer science is a math degree

a cs degree can teach you lots of useful things about programming, but learning specific resume buzzwords is left up to you

the most successful people out of bootcamps already had some skills and treat the bootcamp primarily as a networking/credentialing opportunity. most boot camps are total garbage and do not prepare anyone for work

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hackers! i hate them!

klmadfejno 3 hours ago [–]

I saw the Anti Racist author, Ibram Kendi, speak. Honestly I wasn't really impressed with what he was saying. Yes, structural racism is a real problem. But the concept of anti-racism just did not feel well defined and just begging for semantic ambiguity that distracts from the point at hand, much like how feminism suffered from allowing detractors to claim it was about females asserting supremacy. Ideological terms move the conversation away from ideas and towards meta-arguments around what the ideology is. I found this article somewhat hard to follow but it's last paragraph seems to resonate with that.
What is anti-racism? Is it:
* taking proactive steps to combat racism rather than trying to avoid taking part in it?
* asserting more power to minority communities that have been harmed by structural racism?
* a means to justify breaking down dominantly white structures even if there's not obviously malicious racial actions at play?
Which of these are good? Which of these are obviously good without nuanced discussion? If it's something like the third one, does it seem like a good idea to call that model "anti-racist" in a way that clearly antagonizes the other party merely for existing?

hirundo 3 hours ago [–]

I had a girlfriend in high school that learned about feminism, and developed an annoying habit of playing "gotcha" with anything that could be spun as chauvinist. For instance anyone saying "C'mon you guys let's go eat" would get a lecture about how using the word "guys" to a mixed sex group was being oppressive. She didn't say "patriarchal" only because that word wasn't in currency yet. Years later her gotcha shtick became her profession as a college professor who taught it to a new generation, year after year.
I think the events at those meetings are more about the joy of the gotcha than anti-racism versus non-racism. It just feels good to catch someone out, to be the one who sees it first. Like most pleasures it has addictive power.
It wasn't because the anti-racists were actually racists that they were triggered by a white man bouncing a black baby on his lap. It was because they were scanning desperately for a gotcha to feed their habit. For a target that you disagree with, a behavior has a much lower threshold to become a gotcha. If it wasn't for the baby it could have been his supercilious smile or hair style.
In modern anti-racism, not only does a gotcha not need to be justified with argument, any criticism of the gotcha is another gotcha. What I have written here is just more evidence of my own racism and sexism. They've got me.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

this one is ok tho

econcon 4 days ago [–]

I use granite slab as my bed.
In winters I heat it from below using silicone temperature controlled mats.
Am I the only one who prefers flat and hard bed?
Granite is my bed and mattress.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

colinmhayes 2 hours ago [–]

People who donate to domestic charities when AMF and the malaria consortium are saving lives for $5 a net are immoral or naive.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

fritz posted:

colinmhayes 2 hours ago [–]

People who donate to domestic charities when AMF and the malaria consortium are saving lives for $5 a net are immoral or naive.

please let there be a version of this post except they say that it is immoral to donate to anything other than the EFF and FSF :pray:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Uber and Lyft are pulling out of California due to a recent court ruling requiring them to classify their drivers as employees and the hackers are maaaaaad they'll have to pay slightly more for taxi service.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

dmode 3 hours ago [–]

I dislike Uber and Lyft's practices as much as the next guy. But I also believe AB5 is a terrible bill and will be voting in November to exempt Uber and Lyft from AB5. AB5 was written to impose a 20th century employment model to a 21st century situation.

exactly backwards - the entire classical distinction between independent contractor and employee is based on a near-medieval employment model (the law of master and servant) that we have tried with increasing difficulty to graft onto 21st century realities. it is uber and lyft that want to continue to apply this hoary old model to the 21st century. AB5 actually uses a much more modern test that is based in part on the actual economic realities prevailing between employers and their subordinates, be they classically "employees" or not.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

Uber and Lyft are pulling out of California due to a recent court ruling requiring them to classify their drivers as employees and the hackers are maaaaaad they'll have to pay slightly more for taxi service.

oops never mind https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/20/21377841/uber-lyft-california-judge-block-emergency-stay-employees

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
gently caress uber and lyft

one good thing is that the court of appeals set a very accelerated briefing schedule while the stay is active. Plus there was this interesting bit:

quote:

On or before September 4, 2020, each defendant shall submit a sworn statement from its chief executive officer confirming that it has developed implementation plans under which, if this court affirms the preliminary injunction and Proposition 22 on the November 2020 ballot fails to pass, the company will be prepared to comply with the preliminary injunction within no more than 30 days after issuance of the remittitur in the appeal. 5. Should Lyft or Uber fail to comply with these procedures, the People may apply to this court to vacate this stay.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

blocking something from coming into effect while an appeal is pending is very standard so it doesn't really mean anything

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Consultant32452 1 hour ago [–]

This is a great example of having the right ideas but not understanding workable systems with real people. Let's take just one industry and I can show you how it's not as simple as you make it out to be: socialized/single-payer medicine. This is a system which reduces incentives (profits) in exchange for some equity. This is a great idea because we don't like it when people suffer. But what are the costs? Basic economics/psychology informs us that when incentives affect behavior. When the profits in healthcare are reduced there is less incentive to create new products/treatments/services. This is the tradeoff we're making. What happens down the road? Of course no one knows exactly, but we do know what will tend to happen. A new drug that might've been created in 5 years takes 7 instead. And then the next advancement that builds off that one takes even longer still. The whiz-kid who might've invented the new surgical technique which saves hundreds of lives per year might go into finance instead. What does this mean? It means we've slowed the velocity/acceleration of advancement. So people who live 50 years in the future will not have as good of healthcare as they could've if we'd left the greater incentives in place. And the people who live 100 years in the future are relatively even worse off to where they would've been because we've had 100 year at the slower pace. Since the future is functionally infinite, we are causing infinite harm to people in the future (all the advancements they won't get) at the cost of providing some comfort for some people today. And this applies to every industry, every redistribution program, every set of regulations. It's not just politics/law either, we make these decisions in our own lives every day. Are you going to buy that Apple Watch, or are you going to put that extra $ into your 401k?
Stoicism teaches us that all negative emotion is rooted in a lack of understanding. So when someone says they don't want to raise the minimum wage, or doesn't want universal healthcare, or whatever... it's helpful not to have that knee jerk reaction of "This person is bad and wants people to suffer." That's almost never the case.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

nope it is almost always the case, prick

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Jose Valasquez posted:

we are causing infinite harm to people in the future (all the advancements they won't get) at the cost of providing some comfort for some people today

so close

mystes
May 31, 2006

btilly 3 minutes ago [–]

The answer to the implicit question is simple and obvious.

The stereotypes that proved accurate were often ones which people, for political reasons, wished to be inaccurate. Finding or quoting evidence that supported the stereotype was likely to be career suicide. By contrast insisting that the stereotype was wrong was not.

A simple example will demonstrate this. There is a stereotype that blacks are stupid. In fact on IQ scores, the average black scores in the bottom quartile of whites. (See https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-black-white-test-scor... for a reference.) The traditional response is to criticize the IQ test as racist, and not to accept that there might be merit to the stereotype.

This is not to say that there aren't very smart blacks - very few whites are as intelligent as blacks like Neil deGrasse Tyson or Barack Obama. But according to the data, the average black is significantly less intelligent than the average white.

Now imagine your average progressive leaning social sciences department. You can guess the reaction to anyone saying, "According to the data we should expect the average black that we encounter to be unintelligent." Data notwithstanding, the reaction will be much better if you say, "There is no evidence for the widespread bigoted opinion that blacks are stupid." So people say the second thing, and avoid the first.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

xtal posted:

Why did I spend 4 year getting a CS degree for Web Development when people doing coding bootcamp for a few weeks and are able to get same jobs?

What the hell?

Did I waste my time doing CS if I want to get into web dev?

Seem like CS is more for thing like embedded engineering, data engineering, etc.

What is point of CS degree if i want to become web dev???

the point of the CS degree is that you hopefully learn enough not to spend your web dev job making an unmaintainable mess dependent on fifty half-finished barely-documented libraries no one uses that'll be deprecated within six months. also if you really listened, you hopefully learned enough to be able to do other things instead of web dev

it's the modern day "why did I bother to go to college to learn how to web dev, when the neighbor's 12-year-old kid read a book on HTML and now his Geocities page is rad as heck?"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mystes posted:

btilly 3 minutes ago [–]

The answer to the implicit question is simple and obvious.

The stereotypes that proved accurate were often ones which people, for political reasons, wished to be inaccurate. Finding or quoting evidence that supported the stereotype was likely to be career suicide. By contrast insisting that the stereotype was wrong was not.

A simple example will demonstrate this. There is a stereotype that blacks are stupid. In fact on IQ scores, the average black scores in the bottom quartile of whites. (See https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-black-white-test-scor... for a reference.) The traditional response is to criticize the IQ test as racist, and not to accept that there might be merit to the stereotype.

This is not to say that there aren't very smart blacks - very few whites are as intelligent as blacks like Neil deGrasse Tyson or Barack Obama. But according to the data, the average black is significantly less intelligent than the average white.

Now imagine your average progressive leaning social sciences department. You can guess the reaction to anyone saying, "According to the data we should expect the average black that we encounter to be unintelligent." Data notwithstanding, the reaction will be much better if you say, "There is no evidence for the widespread bigoted opinion that blacks are stupid." So people say the second thing, and avoid the first.

Yikes

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
i want to report a serial killer: https://news.ycombinator.com/threads?id=FriendlyNormie

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Shh, nobody tell them they're shadowbanned. I want to see more of their posts

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

alexandriao posted:

Shh, nobody tell them they're shadowbanned. I want to see more of their posts

I think he got banned for correctly caking out that Scott locklin dude as altright.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GordonS 13 hours ago [–]

I've been using Marten for maybe 3 years now, and I absolutely love it! It's extensible too, so you can do just about anything with it - for example, I use it with views, multi tenancy, a base for aggregate queries and all sorts, and it works great.

The core team is really responsive on both GitHub and Gitter too, and are happy to both accept and help with PRs - it's (almost) the model of a well run OSS project.

One small thing tho... the original developer, Jeremy Miller, can be a bit... spiky; like you ask a question and he just assumes bad faith and will snark at you. I imagine this behaviour has put at least a few people off contributing and using Marten. I almost feel bad about mentioning this, because I'm a fan of his work, but OTOH I kind of hope Jeremy reads this comment and takes it constructively.

jeremydmiller 9 minutes ago [–]

Jeremy finds your “comment” behind an anonymous name on a very public board to be extremely obnoxious and a prime example of the kind of online interaction that tends to sour me on OSS.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

mystes posted:

GordonS 13 hours ago [–]

I've been using Marten for maybe 3 years now, and I absolutely love it! It's extensible too, so you can do just about anything with it - for example, I use it with views, multi tenancy, a base for aggregate queries and all sorts, and it works great.

The core team is really responsive on both GitHub and Gitter too, and are happy to both accept and help with PRs - it's (almost) the model of a well run OSS project.

One small thing tho... the original developer, Jeremy Miller, can be a bit... spiky; like you ask a question and he just assumes bad faith and will snark at you. I imagine this behaviour has put at least a few people off contributing and using Marten. I almost feel bad about mentioning this, because I'm a fan of his work, but OTOH I kind of hope Jeremy reads this comment and takes it constructively.

jeremydmiller 9 minutes ago [–]

Jeremy finds your “comment” behind an anonymous name on a very public board to be extremely obnoxious and a prime example of the kind of online interaction that tends to sour me on OSS.

lmao that guy registered just to prove this guys point

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

or someone else did. poe's law and all

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
poe’s law died at some point around 2009

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

lmao that guy registered just to prove this guys point

big derek smart energy

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
leahey2 hours ago
He went full alt right. This is likely owing to the deletion of podcasts with hate speech. Just FYI.

mikece2 hours ago
That’s the great thing about free speech: hate is overcome with more free speech.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

quote:

chrisseaton 17 minutes ago [–]

> Are there any well funded tech startups / companies tackling major societal problems?

Why would you look to tech companies to do this?

Isn't this what charities do?

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

back when YTMND shut down someone posted this story in the hn comments and i havent been able to stop thinking about it so here it is i guess:

quote:

Here's my YTMND story.
My freshman year of college, 06/07, my roommate spent a boatload of time on his laptop at his desk; he'd sleep in, skip class, and stay up late, spending all his time on his laptop. I peeked over his shoulder a few times, and he was just browsing YTMND constantly.
Anyways, at the end of the year in the start of finals week, somebody started knocking on our door at like 7am or something, some time that's ungodly early for a college student. As soon as I stumble over and open up the door, somebody says, "This is the FBI, we have a warrant to search your room" while naming my roommate.
Turns out it wasn't a prank, the actual FBI was raiding my dorm room to find my roommate. They took me into a lounge "to ask some questions" and I was too young to have fully developed my "don't talk to the cops" senses, so I went along with it. They asked me a bunch of questions about my roommate (what classes is he taking, what's his major, what are his hobbies, how does he spend his time) and when they asked about his hobbies I had to say "well, he mostly spends a lot of time browsing You The Man Now Dog online".
The fbi, of course, asks for clarification. I don't know if you've ever had to explain the idea behind YTMND to the FBI when you're a 19 year old college student at 730 am on a wednesday during finals week, but let me tell you: it's not fun.
"It's a website where people make other websites that feature a tiled image background, a looping sound clip, and some kind of word art over everything."
They look at each other, shrug, and continue with the questions until we get to "Have you ever seen your roommate do anything inappropriate near a child", which is probably the closest i've gotten to an actual record-scratch moment in real life. I explain that i've never seen my roommate outside of our dorm room, let alone off the college campus, and there just aren't that many kids around. After that, they conclude the questioning and let me know that they believe there's evidence of federal crimes on my roommate's laptop.
So we go back to the room, the other agents have finished confiscating his laptop, it's around 745am, and my roommate rolls over and goes back to sleep. So I'm like, "dude, do you want to explain to me why the fbi felt the need to come to our room at 7 in the morning and take away your laptop?"
He says, "Oh, I was posting links to child pornography on YTMND and so now they think there's child porn on my laptop."
I say, "Did it ever occur to you that that was a really loving stupid idea?"
He goes, "yeah well I know that NOW", in the most incredulous tone of voice, like he couldn't believe the FBI agents didn't understand that he was doing this as a joke and not out of an earnest love for CP.
Later that day he called his parents and left without packing up his stuff, and I never heard from him again; he did not continue to matriculate and I have no idea how his whole saga wrapped up.
But now it's impossible for me to think of YTMND without a) wondering what the gently caress my roommate was thinking and b) remembering the time I had to explain the idea of stupid internet memes to federal agents.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Kind Friend posted:

back when YTMND shut down someone posted this story in the hn comments and i havent been able to stop thinking about it so here it is i guess:

i think i just discovered my new favorite hackernews post ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Kind Friend posted:

back when YTMND shut down

Well, https://reconnectytmnd.ytmnd.com

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 12, 2020