Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Dr. Satan is the cream filling of a delicious dessert.

If you had a full course of him, you'd be disappointment and disgusted.

Many horror characters are only able work in very, very small doses- like homeopathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I do think some people who hated House of 100 Corpses either zoned out and didn't realize what was going on at the end or just straight-up turned the movie off and missed that part with Dr. Satan. It's such a great reveal.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I think a Dr. Satan movie where he plays the antagonist would work. A movie where he's the protagonist would be cool as hell but I think it would take a lot of the mystique out of the character. Part of what makes his reveal so great in Ho1kC is how batshit insane he looks and how crazy his underground maze-lair is. Rob could just do "teens get trapped in the maze" and turn it into a full movie and it'd be cool. A Dr. Satan origin story would be even cooler. NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN and I will ask him next time the three of us hang out.

Also I forget if I mentioned it but I discovered Adam Green's show Scary Sleepover on youtube and it's a total blast. He's got a lot of cool horror stars (Sid Haig, Kane Hodder) as well as some non-movie people like Slash and Dee Snider. It's a BLAST and everyone also looks like they're having a lot of fun. The Tony Todd episode is one of my favorites but I warn you IT WILL make you cry. Which reminds me I still need to see the Candyman sequel before the new one comes out.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah it would have been sweet to have a movie about the cool thing that was in it. Shame about how it turned out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheKingslayer posted:

Yeah it would have been sweet to have a movie about the cool thing that was in it. Shame about how it turned out.

Yeah, the movie starts with foreshadowing about Dr. Satan, then waits until the last 5 minutes to bring it up again.

I guess the thing I didn't like the most was Ho1kC is nothing but false starts

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Not to get in a fanboy slapfight but I'd rather have 5 minutes of Dr. Satan than two hours of Midsommar.

Style over substance > Substance over style imo

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Which reminds me I still need to see the Candyman sequel before the new one comes out.

Farewell to the Flesh is ok, it's not nearly on the level of the first film but it's a serviceable gothic horror story that has its moments. Except for the terrible loving decision to make the whitest ladies ever be Robitaille's descendents

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i'll watch anything with Tony Todd in it tbh, he's one of those dudes that makes a movie good just by being in it. Much like Barbara Crampton and RIP John Saxon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Farewell to the Flesh definitely has some good stuff in it. Well worth checking out if you love the original. The total package isn't nearly as good of course, and how could it be, but I think it's a worthy sequel.

It has a pretty cool opening where the arrogant Candyman expert from the first film gets Candymaned.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like the last part of House of 1000 Corpses something about tunnels underneath a graveyard full of ghouls and the good Doctor Satan himself works for me..

This part felt the most like the kind of wild monster movie I was hoping for going in. From his music and videos, that part was more in-line with expectations than Manson-esque murder Munsters.

Not that the Firefly family weren't good villains, but they felt almost too grounded in reality compared to the type of EC Comics horror associated with White Zombie / Rob Zombie (up to that point.) There were no atomic robots, zombies, devils, witches, ghosts, mutants, or monsters until that sequence.

It's really a shame that Dr Satan didn't get his own film. RZ got that creepy, tales from the crypt tone so right but then completely disowned it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I’m fine with Dr Satan just getting those beautiful few moments- we don’t need to drive him into the ground with a prequel that shows us how he got his awesome spider arms or whatever.

That’s not a knock on the revisiting of the Fireflys in Devils Rejects and 3 From Hell- those characters have way more to dig into.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I wouldn't say Ho1kC is all surface. It's all id.

Speaking of which, Zombie would probably be my first choice for a Crossed adaptation.

Either him or Carpenter.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Guillermo del Toro has signed a multi-year deal with Netflix

Not crazy about this news. Del Toro is one of my favorite living directors, a proven dyed-in-the-wool horror fan and about the only person I feel who could do The Mountains of Madness on-screen justice.

I'm not trashing Netflix's entire catalog, there are real gems speckled throughout the mountain of mediocre made-by-committee schlock. But every time a respected director uses them to pump out a movie, it feels like they had to sacrifice some of their voice to do so.

Never in a million years would Netflix churn out a Devil's Backbone or The Shape of Water. I want to live in that world but we simply don't.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its not like Netflix mandates people do mediocre work. They didn't make Max Landis suck, they just paid him to. I mean, GdT did the Strain so its possible he'll just produce something that sucks or have a miss but I have faith that if he's making something he'll try and make it good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's good news actually.

Del Toro now has to make things instead of talking about things he'd like to make.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Netflix gave Charlie Kaufman his latest movie, which is a horror or thriller or something, so I believe they are still capable of Good poo poo. Just, like, once or twice a year.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Ritual is a Netflix movie, and it owns :colbert:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

people have the audacity to say Ho1kC sucks then say the ritual is a good movie smh

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Annihilation was Netflix too and I enjoyed that very much

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Its not like Netflix mandates people do mediocre work. They didn't make Max Landis suck, they just paid him to. I mean, GdT did the Strain so its possible he'll just produce something that sucks or have a miss but I have faith that if he's making something he'll try and make it good.

Whoa hey now I thought The Strain was pretty drat good. Especially how realistically stupid the pandemic response is when you compare it to what we’ve been going through the past year.

I even love the dad’s lovely wig in the first season.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

Skydance / Paramount and DNA films, actually. Netflix handled international distribution.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Del Toro's project for Netflix is a stop motion Pinochio . He's hit the point where he can just make passion projects.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tarnop posted:

it wasn't a Netflix production though, it just got distributed by them in some markets. They call everything "originals" whether they are actually produced by them or if they just have exclusive streaming rights to it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Del Toro's project for Netflix is a stop motion Pinochio . He's hit the point where he can just make passion projects.

If it was a choose between this and AtMoM, I'd choose this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ruddiger posted:

Whoa hey now I thought The Strain was pretty drat good. Especially how realistically stupid the pandemic response is when you compare it to what we’ve been going through the past year.

I generally liked it. Monsters were cool as poo poo and I liked the general story and escalation of events. But people seemed to by and large dislike it and it certainly had its low points and got dragged out compared to a film. I've actually watched through the series twice, so I was just kind of saying it sucked to play to the audience. But I'd categorize it mostly as fun pulp.

But yeah, good point. 2020 really did a lot to redeem the Strain as less stupid than people called it at the time.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Iron Crowned posted:

I think this is a good way to sum up how I feel about Rob Zombie movies.

Yeah this works for me. Lords of Salem is probably the least Rob Zombie movie of his and it’s almost certainly why it’s the only one I ever revisit.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Kvlt! posted:

If it was a choose between this and AtMoM, I'd choose this.

I dunno, feels like Lovecraft is primed for mainstream and GdT would prefer to make that but the budget is what is holding it down. Very much hope it doesn't become his lost movie.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Franchescanado posted:

Skydance / Paramount and DNA films, actually. Netflix handled international distribution.

drat, my "is there an N on the thumbnail" analysis might have some flaws

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

According to Wikipedia, The Ritual and the new Kaufman film are both produced by other companies (The Imaginarium / eOne and Likely Story respectively) with Netflix distributing.

Flipping through the Netflix original films that I've seen I can't find any that have Netflix listed as the production company

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Netflix is just a distributor its just that there's some stuff that are exclusively made for and to be distributed through Netflix and there's some stuff that gets regional theater releases and then Netflix gets the rights to distribute them internationally. But like Perfection or Babysitter or Apostle or Ritual I think was made FOR Netflix. Annihilation or Roma weren't.

Like I think Fox doesn't make any shows themselves either anymore. But they still have shows that air exclusively on Fox and are made FOR the network. Lots of network shows aren't actually made/owned by the network.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 20, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yeah its why you see cartoons like the Simpsons take digs at Fox even tho Fox owns em

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Makes sense!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

I think a Dr. Satan movie where he plays the antagonist would work. A movie where he's the protagonist would be cool as hell but I think it would take a lot of the mystique out of the character. Part of what makes his reveal so great in Ho1kC is how batshit insane he looks and how crazy his underground maze-lair is. Rob could just do "teens get trapped in the maze" and turn it into a full movie and it'd be cool. A Dr. Satan origin story would be even cooler. NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN and I will ask him next time the three of us hang out.

Also I forget if I mentioned it but I discovered Adam Green's show Scary Sleepover on youtube and it's a total blast. He's got a lot of cool horror stars (Sid Haig, Kane Hodder) as well as some non-movie people like Slash and Dee Snider. It's a BLAST and everyone also looks like they're having a lot of fun. The Tony Todd episode is one of my favorites but I warn you IT WILL make you cry. Which reminds me I still need to see the Candyman sequel before the new one comes out.

It costs money now bht listen too his podcast. It’s amazing. Sometimes lovely because Adam green may be nice but he’s also dumb and white sometimes, same with joe lynch, but those two have inspired me to keep going to make movies even when it feels so utterly hopeless to do so.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You ever watch a movie and you're like "I want more of this. I want this movie to create an entire subgenre. I need 10 or 20 more movies like this." Alas, there are no other movies like Nightbreed.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Halloween Jack posted:

You ever watch a movie and you're like "I want more of this. I want this movie to create an entire subgenre. I need 10 or 20 more movies like this." Alas, there are no other movies like Nightbreed.

For me that movie was Darkman, which turns 30 in a few days actually.

Jodorowsky once said that Nightbreed was "the first truly gay horror fantasy epic". I'll have to look for that specific angle during my October re-watch, I don't remember it being there though I was pretty sideways at the time.

If nothing else Nightbreed shows us how Cronenberg truly feels about psychiatrists.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

STAC Goat posted:

Like I think Fox doesn't make any shows themselves either anymore. But they still have shows that air exclusively on Fox and are made FOR the network. Lots of network shows aren't actually made/owned by the network.

TV is weird in that the shows from one network will air on different networks. So Fox would make a show that aired on ABC, and CBS would make a show that aired on Fox.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I never really gotten spooked by haunts since I was older than like 10, but if I went to that haunt I'd be too busy grinning from ear to ear to actually be the least bit scared. I'd just want to hang out inside and talk with the cast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s how I feel at every HHN house. They’re just fun and bring to life these things you love.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:spooky: Heavenly Creatures in 15 minutes, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

Come help the Bracketology thread work out if it's horror or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ruddiger posted:

the moment when they came over the hill to see the vampire concentration camps and said "we're not the farmers, they're farming US" is when i finally understood what true art was