Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That sweet, sweet feeling when someone reaches out to you about a projected vacancy for which you're the hiring manager, clearly not remembering that he spent several months annoying you for a date at FSI more than a decade ago despite repeated rejections...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

the_chavi posted:

That sweet, sweet feeling when someone reaches out to you about a projected vacancy for which you're the hiring manager, clearly not remembering that he spent several months annoying you for a date at FSI more than a decade ago despite repeated rejections...

"She liked me back at FSI. I'm totally getting this job."

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

This is probably a 'no', but is there a foreign service job for someone who works in mental health? I've got a masters in social work and I've been doing mental health therapy for years both in hospitals and in private practice. I'm thinking about a career change and thought why the hell not ask the FSOT thread.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Maybe Peace Corps, USAID, or a group like Doctors without borders?

The only State job I'm personally aware of is RMOP (Regional medical officer psychiatrist) which I think requires a MD or DO. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's some niche specialty I don't know.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pershing posted:

This is probably a 'no', but is there a foreign service job for someone who works in mental health? I've got a masters in social work and I've been doing mental health therapy for years both in hospitals and in private practice. I'm thinking about a career change and thought why the hell not ask the FSOT thread.

Check in with your nearest DIR - I also thought RMO/Ps required doctorates, but I may be wrong.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Pershing posted:

I don't think this is exactly what you are asking, but your degrees would still make you competitive to join the foreign service as a generalist if you are looking for a total change of work.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bruxism posted:

I don't think this is exactly what you are asking, but your degrees would still make you competitive to join the foreign service as a generalist if you are looking for a total change of work.

Seriously, I have to imagine you could make a ton of money as an off-the-books shrink for most of State these days. Slightly to exceptionally unethical, but hey!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

the_chavi posted:

Seriously, I have to imagine you could make a ton of money as an off-the-books shrink for most of State these days. Slightly to exceptionally unethical, but hey!

'Off the books' like don't bill their insurance? I have a few people in my current practice like that, always worried that HR is going to dime them out.

Anyway, I looked around and found this posting...

https://careers.state.gov/work/opportunities/vacancy-announcements/social-worker/

...sounds challenging

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Okay nerds, question for you. There's a debate raging in my section, and our IRM team is not interested in answering it.

Non-standard Latin characters in SMART - okay or not okay? Our received wisdom is that you can't use something like this - Yüksek Askeri Şura - in a cable, because the ü and Ş would cause some computers (perhaps or exclusively in other agencies?) to melt down in incomprehension. However, I see tons of cables coming out of like Slovenia or Poland that use non-standard Latin characters.

While it's not essential, I do prefer using the correct spelling of names in Turkish, including extra diacriticals, in official reporting. All of us have keyboards at home and in the office set up to handle this. What is the official take on whether this breaks the system or not?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

the_chavi posted:

Okay nerds, question for you. There's a debate raging in my section, and our IRM team is not interested in answering it.

Non-standard Latin characters in SMART - okay or not okay? Our received wisdom is that you can't use something like this - Yüksek Askeri Şura - in a cable, because the ü and Ş would cause some computers (perhaps or exclusively in other agencies?) to melt down in incomprehension. However, I see tons of cables coming out of like Slovenia or Poland that use non-standard Latin characters.

While it's not essential, I do prefer using the correct spelling of names in Turkish, including extra diacriticals, in official reporting. All of us have keyboards at home and in the office set up to handle this. What is the official take on whether this breaks the system or not?

Nah, they come out as punctuation or just weird stuff. You can put them in attachments though.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

the_chavi posted:

I personally wouldn't recommend or risk it. I've seen a € totally screw up the formatting in a cable.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I've gotten scheduled for oral (and written?) examinations in Virginia in November for a Security officer position. What should I expect?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I've gotten scheduled for oral (and written?) examinations in Virginia in November for a Security officer position. What should I expect?

Just to double check, this is for Security Engineering Officer (SEO) like you said in the other thread, right? If you just say Security Officer people might assume you mean a DS Agent position.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tyro posted:

Just to double check, this is for Security Engineering Officer (SEO) like you said in the other thread, right? If you just say Security Officer people might assume you mean a DS Agent position.

Right it's from the post I made in the US Gov jobs thread

Xelkelvos posted:

I've gotten to move forward with my Department of State Foreign service application as a Security Engineer and now scheduling my oral examination. I have no idea what's gonna happen there or why they want me in person despite Covid.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 20, 2020

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
What do you do when you want to stay in cone and are looking at the bid list and don't like most of what you see there? What is the minimum number of bids we need (bidding CA) in order to be compliant?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

zzonkmiles posted:

What do you do when you want to stay in cone and are looking at the bid list and don't like most of what you see there? What is the minimum number of bids we need (bidding CA) in order to be compliant?

I think it's 5 at grade bids. The summer 2021 bidding instructions cable came out a few days ago, it has all the details. I'm really not looking forward to bidding this time around.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tyro posted:

I think it's 5 at grade bids. The summer 2021 bidding instructions cable came out a few days ago, it has all the details. I'm really not looking forward to bidding this time around.

The list is terrible for me this year - for the bureaus where I stand the best chance of getting a job, all the jobs that I want are either unaccompanied or the most heavily bid jobs in the bureau this year. There's very little in the middle. And if by some miracle I get promoted, it's actually even worse - lots more jobs, but I'll be competitive for precisely none of them as a new promotee.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

The list is terrible for me this year - for the bureaus where I stand the best chance of getting a job, all the jobs that I want are either unaccompanied or the most heavily bid jobs in the bureau this year. There's very little in the middle. And if by some miracle I get promoted, it's actually even worse - lots more jobs, but I'll be competitive for precisely none of them as a new promotee.

Yeah kind of the same here (except I unexpectedly got promoted last year). I'm going to have to finish out my current tour unaccompanied due to the pandemic, so I'm not going to follow it up with a SIP, which was the original plan. We decided that was too much time away from the family.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Tyro posted:

Yeah kind of the same here (except I unexpectedly got promoted last year). I'm going to have to finish out my current tour unaccompanied due to the pandemic, so I'm not going to follow it up with a SIP, which was the original plan. We decided that was too much time away from the family.

drat, sorry to hear about the separation, brother. I was facing the same thing and seriously considering curtailing. Directly i managed to sneak my family back and we plan to hunker down for our final year here. Smart move calling the SIP. I'll be in DC next year most likely. Be around? Been a while.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Bruxism posted:

drat, sorry to hear about the separation, brother. I was facing the same thing and seriously considering curtailing. Directly i managed to sneak my family back and we plan to hunker down for our final year here. Smart move calling the SIP. I'll be in DC next year most likely. Be around? Been a while.

Ha yeah it's been a bit. Next year depends how bidding goes I guess. I'll shoot you an email!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo happy to not be bidding right now.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Ditto.

Condolences to all.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What happened?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Bidding sucks and I feel bad for those having to do so right now.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Business of Ferrets posted:

Bidding sucks and I feel bad for those having to do so right now.

Truth.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Congrats goon(s?)

Saw at least one of our names floating around.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TCD posted:

Congrats goon(s?)

Saw at least one of our names floating around.

Same! Only recognized one goon this time but well deserved.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Miss you my friend

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TCD posted:

Miss you my friend

This was the first year I didn't lose it sobbing for a few hours. Not sure what the cause is, other than general numbness to the horror this year, though the Department statement not mentioning Libya for like the third year pissed me off. Hope y'all are all well.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
May the bidding odds be ever in your favor!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

May the bidding odds be ever in your favor!

My list looks a bit better than I was expecting.

Curious what it will look like after all the SIP handshakes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My exam/interview has been scheduled for November after the Election. If the post-election fallout hasn't burned everything down, I hope I do well.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tyro posted:

My list looks a bit better than I was expecting.

Curious what it will look like after all the SIP handshakes.

Mine looks like a dumpster fire... I can leave the Hubs and small child behind, I can bid on a job where the Hubs would have to take LWOP, or I can bid on the same jobs that 50+ others are bidding on. Or I can return to DC... I'll take my chances with Western Europe, thanks.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

My bid list is not looking so hot either. There were so few positions I was interested in that I had no choice but to add positions that I have no chance of getting. One of those positions already has more than 25 bidders and bidding just opened.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

I mean, I’m only half joking when I say that if you’re bidding on a job with 25 other bidders and you don’t already know you’re getting the job, you’re not getting the job.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That sucks Chavi, I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm bidding on a non-DC domestic job that's near where the family is on AD. The rest of the list is going to be fairly competitive overseas gigs. So I'll probably get the domestic one. Wasn't the plan before the pandemic, and it probably won't help me get promoted, but it'll all work out if that's what happens.

Good luck Xelkelvos!

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Business of Ferrets posted:

I mean, I’m only half joking when I say that if you’re bidding on a job with 25 other bidders and you don’t already know you’re getting the job, you’re not getting the job.
Yeah, looks like I'm going to be assigned to one of those typically underbid posts. That's fine. It was nice to dream for a little while though. Heh--those bid counts are funny. Who would have thought that some of those places would have exactly zero bids as of now? Oh wait. Everybody would have expected that.

Natural Ice
Mar 22, 2007
SPF 15
Bidding is always stressful, but this year is a whole different level. I am only bidding overseas consular jobs, and with all the budget problems CA is dealing with I get the extra fun of wondering if language will still be funded or if the job will still even exist by the time I'm supposed to get there. Fully expecting to not get anything and bid again on whatever is left after November.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
Somehow, I think I progressed through the far end of the bidding stress barrier this year and achieved a sort of state of zen about the whole thing.

My wife has had a plan for this next posting ever since we joined 9 years ago despite me always telling her how slim the odds were of the stars aligning like that. Then they did and not only was there a position at that post, but it's one I was actually interested in and then I would have a good shot at getting. But, then Covid took her dad a month ago and now that's basically become her #1 criteria so she no longer wants to go to that post. Nor most other posts that solved what was our #1 problem (a good high school and the ability to do 4 years.) But, it's not like I can tell her it is irrational to base a decision on where we will move next year based on the Covid situation today.

Oh well. Just finished my first interview which is a place acceptable to my family and I think it went fine. We know a lot of common people that apparently all reached out on my behalf without me asking so hopefully it works out well for me.

The only other posts I've reached out to are places she no longer wants to go so...

1of7 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

1of7 posted:

Somehow, I think I progressed through the far end of the bidding stress barrier this year and achieved a sort of state of zen about the whole thing.

My wife has had a plan for this next posting ever since we joined 9 years ago despite me always telling her how slim the odds were of the stars aligning like that. Then they did and not only was there a position at that post, but it's one I was actually interested in and then I would have a good shot at getting. But, then Covid took her dad a month ago and now that's basically become her #1 criteria so she no longer wants to go to that post. Nor most other posts that solved what was our #1 problem (a good high school and the ability to do 4 years.) But, it's not like I can tell her it is irrational to base a decision on where we will move next year based on the Covid situation today.

Oh well. Just finished my first interview which is a place acceptable to my family and I think it went fine. We know a lot of common people that apparently all reached out on my behalf without me asking so hopefully it works out well for me.

The only other posts I've reached out to are places she no longer wants to go so...

Sorry about your FIL. Lost my dad a few months ago due to masked symptoms of COVID. He recovered from COVID but something else got out of hand while they were "treating COVID symptoms".

I'm here for another year and that's okay.