Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

Practical effects are often more expensive just in terms of the man hours you have to pay for. Paying the full crew to be on-set is really what drives production costs up, so if you can just shoot the scene quickly and insert the effects later, often that's cheaper. It's the same reason why they use CG blood in action movies these days, all that time setting up and reappying squibs is expensive because you have to pay all those people.

The big thing is that basically everyone on a movie set is unionized, but CGI houses aren't unionized and are in a highly competitive market, so you get underpaid animators crunching long hours to make effects work, which is partially why a lot of CGI looks lovely and weightless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I mean, even as-is, it was fine, honestly? Like, I didn't really have any beef with that movie.

It was an okay prequel to one of the greatest movies of all time and it’s kind of difficult to look at it objectively as it’s own thing (no pun intended) when so much of it is built on nostalgia value.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1296152615277993984

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cut to an emotional scene then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It was an okay prequel to one of the greatest movies of all time and it’s kind of difficult to look at it objectively as it’s own thing (no pun intended) when so much of it is built on nostalgia value.

I would say divorced from anything else it's middling but it's absolute dogshit compared to the original but none of that is nostalgia.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

this came up in the animation thread and people (possibly correctly) mocked it, but...

honestly, I get the feeling it's just going to look like Alita or the Astro Boy manga in practice, rather than the full-on goofy cartoon the games are, and I'm totally fine with that.

there's legitimate angles for pathos and complexity in the story, like the falling out between Light and Wily, and the juxtaposition of Light treating Rock and Roll like his surrogate children while also using Rock as an attack dog against Wily's robots. it's not even really unexplored territory; The Protomen took this and ran with it, and most people like their vibe pretty well.

as long as they don't stray too far, and they just mean "it'll have actual stakes and pathos and not just be goofy as hell" rather than some massive departure, it stands a solid chance of being really good.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The X and Zero series are fairly dark, but classic Mega Man? That just seems like a bad idea. Unless he only means that the movie will play the premise and the natural emotional beats associated with it straight (i.e., Mega Man feels bad about having to fight his "siblings," even if he doesn't destroy them permanently; Dr. Light feels genuinely hurt by Dr. Wily's betrayal), not that they'll add a layer of grimdark on top of it.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Are they gonna use The Protomen for the soundtrack?

Because it's not gonna work unless they use The Protomen for the soundtrack.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I never understood the desire for a Snyder cut, when you could just watch Shazam and Birds of Prey a second time. Aquaman too if you're drunk and you mute the Pitbull segue.

LMAO, I've seen Shazam, Birds of Prey, Aquaman and they're lame as gently caress.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You guys must be forgetting the time Mega Man mercy killed a dude in the Archie comic

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Carpenter’s Thing is really good, but the prequel is creepier.

The 1982 film is one of those movies that people just reflexively laud, but you don’t see much concrete analysis of it - and some interpretations are downright bad. People generally just list the cool poo poo, like “Wilford Brimley! A guy’s head bites another guy’s head!”, etc.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol gently caress me.

Len posted:

You guys must be forgetting the time Mega Man mercy killed a dude in the Archie comic

drat they had the Blue Bomber I only knew they had the Blue Streak

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol gently caress me.

drat they had the Blue Bomber I only knew they had the Blue Streak

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Len posted:

Or that one time he had Wily at busterpoint at the end of Mega Man 7.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

:stare: I need to read this I guess

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

It's very much a comic for kids and it just kind of goes on indefinite hiatus, but I found it enjoyable

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

It's very much a comic for kids and it just kind of goes on indefinite hiatus, but I found it enjoyable

at a glance, it seems like the perfect tone for a PG-13-targeted MM movie; it has actual, for-real emotional weight without having to stray far from the source to achieve that. instead, it just takes stuff that the games vaguely touched on or implied, and fleshes it out to the point where you get stuff like those pages coexisting with the cartoony aspects.

I really like that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

As long as it leads to a crossover movie with Sonic.

The Robotnik/Wily teamup was fun and whimsical and great

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Just make this into the full length adult Mega man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w6i70ztZKY

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I'll be in a theater day one if they bring back Dr. Light's voice actor from Megaman 8. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Serious Mega Man is basically just Casshern.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

muscles like this! posted:

Another possibility: Pluto. It definitely has some of the same DNA.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Didn't Mega Man eventually led to all humanity going extinct, with only robots left?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

Didn't Mega Man eventually led to all humanity going extinct, with only robots left?

The franchise doesn't exactly have stable continuity, but of the two series farthest in the future one has humans dying out and the other has humans and reploids becoming a single species (if that even is the word).

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Schwarzwald posted:

The franchise doesn't exactly have stable continuity, but of the two series farthest in the future one has humans dying out and the other has humans and reploids becoming a single species (if that even is the word).

Hell will freeze over before we ever see a Mega Man Legends 3. :smith:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So I'm hearing this will be like the Brazilian Mega Man comics and have Roll naked all the time?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

It's literally Casshern's design and general idea + Astro Boy's setting and origin, with a supporting cast that's sorta split between the two sources (Rush is obviously Friender, but Light and Wily are riffs on Ochanomizu and Tenma, whereas Roll is sort of a composite of Uran from Astro Boy and Luna from Casshern, for instance).

The thing is, though, I keep bringing up Alita as a touchpoint because it draws from the exact same influences at its core, and worked totally fine as a PG-13 not-just-for-kids actioner. I would be very happy with a Mega Man movie that resembled it, and I don't think it would be some betrayal of the IP to go in that direction.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i didn't recognise this cover and in the timg i thought the original name is GAMERMAN

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

It's literally Casshern's design and general idea + Astro Boy's setting and origin, with a supporting cast that's sorta split between the two sources (Rush is obviously Friender, but Light and Wily are riffs on Ochanomizu and Tenma, whereas Roll is sort of a composite of Uran from Astro Boy and Luna from Casshern, for instance).

There's a fair amount of Kikaider, too. Heck, the GBA Zero game is just the '95 Hakaider film with the serial number filed off.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Are they gonna use The Protomen for the soundtrack?

Because it's not gonna work unless they use The Protomen for the soundtrack.

I'm friends with a few of those guys. I'll ask if they've been in contact with the production team and see what's up.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dont do that
Definitely dont do that

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Codependent Poster posted:

So I'm hearing this will be like the Brazilian Mega Man comics and have Roll naked all the time?

By pure coincidence I just started reading the stickied thread in GBS for the first time and man, uh, that's loving something all right. :stare:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1296552356956573697

Go on...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
we are either getting the next The Fan or thhe next The Fanatic

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
At least the latter gave us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXWgokx6fK8

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I love the fact that they obviously did it one shot, had absolutely no interesting shots that focus on the characters, and had to arbitrarily cut back and forth between the two cameras to make it seem like anything is happening.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

fred durst actually plugged his own music in his film? lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

fred durst actually plugged his own music in his film? lmao

Well who else is gonna do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Psssh. If you want REAL drama and complex themes, you need to go with Transformers: