Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Buy an unlined work glove.

https://www.amazon.com/Illinois-Glo...7586063&sr=8-13

Like this to me is an ideal spring glove.
That looks not breathable enough for a spring glove to me. I used to have some Scott spring gloves that were mostly a kind of coarse weave on the back, fantastic breathability but they fell apart after a solid 8ish years.

Edit: those Truck bike gloves look pretty good for spring skiing

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HookShot posted:

I’m a big fan of my level gloves but that’s also in part because their plastic protection is better than most other glove manufacturers, but that’s not something most people have to consider.
The kids insisted on Reusch gloves this year but I think it's probably just groupthink among the ski race kids since Reusch sponsors Mikaela and Lindsey.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

The kids insisted on Reusch gloves this year but I think it's probably just groupthink among the ski race kids since Reusch sponsors Mikaela and Lindsey.

Oh yeah, totally, they're only going to ask you for the "cool" equipment brands. Five years ago every single girl had a POC helmet and now Sweet Protection are all the rage, too.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

I grabbed some of those Truck ZR gloves for biking because I'm a sucker for anything florescent green. My pair of dakine winter gloves have seen better days so I may try out the M1pro glove they have listed on their site. 40 bucks for leather ski gloves seems pretty nice.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
lol these people seeking housing are great:

“I need a 3-bedroom pet friendly place to live for a bit. Maybe three months. Just waiting on the borders to Costa Rica to open up and then I’m moving there.”

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

“I need a 3-bedroom pet friendly place to live for a bit. Maybe three months. Just waiting on the borders to Costa Rica to open up and then I’m moving there.”

I am really loving these updates.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

:shrug:
I don’t post on social media and don’t really have another mountain-town-related repository for this nonsense before I push it out of my head forever. Hoping to have some more skiing-related stuff soon.

Oh yeah, re: glove chat, I love my give’rs but they are way too insulated for spring skiing. I highly recommend them for cold weather all-around use as well as skiing. Kincos are the staple though.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I swear if I had an apartment for rent I would do nothing but month to month lease to these types of idiots at three times market rate

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

For what many of these people are spending on their “extended vacations” you could buy a house in Costa Rica and have an investor visa. And then gently caress off into the jungle, forever.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Costa Rica is pretty amazing. Though the skiing isn’t the best.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

bawfuls posted:

That looks not breathable enough for a spring glove to me. I used to have some Scott spring gloves that were mostly a kind of coarse weave on the back, fantastic breathability but they fell apart after a solid 8ish years.

Edit: those Truck bike gloves look pretty good for spring skiing

My experience is all gloves that aren't all leather break too easily, but I am extremely hard on my gear.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Just renewed my Alpine Official membership in USSA and in addition to the mandatory SafeSport training they now have a mandatory avalanche awareness elearning module because of the 2015 deaths of Astle and Berlack during training in Austria. It really doesn't teach you anything about avalanches per se but is an intro to get you to take a real avy course.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The type of education that emphasises that folk wisdom and bro science isn't enough is probably the most important overall contribution to avalanche awareness education so it's probably for the best.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

I swear if I had an apartment for rent I would do nothing but month to month lease to these types of idiots at three times market rate

three times the market rate... is pretty much the market rate right now

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah but I mean like three times what I'm currently paying. In "affordable" housing :cry:

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

yeah well the good news is that another wildfire broke out today. with our covid cases flat lining over the past two weeks and all the tourists starting to leave i was worried we might have a good month in september

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

October: plague of flesh eating locusts
November: river turns to blood
December: giant meteor

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

We got our first taste of the wildfire smoke yesterday and although it has mostly cleared off, I do not envy you guys

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

We got our first taste of the wildfire smoke yesterday and although it has mostly cleared off, I do not envy you guys

It sucks but isn't actually that bad for a lot of places. It kind of ebbs and flows. We rode around lake Dillon on Tuesday and pontoon ride on Wednesday. It was surprisingly clear. I would love rain though.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Yeah it is definitely off/on. Tuesday of this week was terrible, yesterday and today much better and it's usually pretty clear in the morning. I've still been on the mtb almost every day because it's the only thing keeping me sane.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

spwrozek, you know I don’t speak Spanish

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

spwrozek, you know I don’t speak Spanish

Lo siento, Me encanteria algo de lluvia. Comprendes? :spain:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I know that not many people ride Never Summer or any CRC hybrid camber boards here but NS has just reintroduced traditional camber back into the official lineup with their new board the Hammer along with it's new Shockwave Rocker Camber profile in their Protoultra and Protosynthesis which have even less rocker and more camber than even the Ripsaw RC profile. My current quiver is NS East, NS Chairman, Gemtemstick XY, Amplid UNW8, and a Burton Custom Twin with the older traditional camber profile. I may have to get a NS Hammer and Protoultra to test this season assuming we have a season.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I always liked riding a camber board on the groomers. Maybe I will pick one up for the season after this one.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

The camber board that Never Summer pressed for World Boards and Gallatin the Mountain Slayer had too soft a tail. In NS's defense, Jay Moore owner of World Boards spec'd the board for his preferences. I owned one for a while but really didn't like overflexing it. I hope the Hammer is stiffer both torsionally and at the tail.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 21, 2020

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Eejit posted:

October: plague of flesh eating locusts
November: river turns to blood
December: giant meteor

January: Vail announces it's purchasing your resort

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Too bad my resort is already owned by Alterra

Actual Jan 2021 disaster? Vail and Alterra merger

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Disinterested posted:

January: Vail announces it's purchasing your resort
LOL this nightmare already happened like five years ago.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Probably the weekend of the season right now In aus. Nonstop dry snow falling for several days down to 700m

Needless to say I am pooped. Half day tomorrow so I'm gonna go all out as it's the last time I'll be on the hill before it starts to melt. 10 days on snow is a record for me and my riding improvements my reward :)

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

Too bad my resort is already owned by Alterra

The Crown family (owners of Aspen Skico) owns part of Alterra, Alterra has zero ownership in Skico

ironlung fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 22, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Laserface posted:

Probably the weekend of the season right now In aus. Nonstop dry snow falling for several days down to 700m

Needless to say I am pooped. Half day tomorrow so I'm gonna go all out as it's the last time I'll be on the hill before it starts to melt. 10 days on snow is a record for me and my riding improvements my reward :)

That is awesome man. Nice that you were able to get after it! Can't wait to shred some powder, assuming it ever cools off this year.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ironlung posted:

The Crown family (owners of Aspen Skico) owns part of Alterra, Alterra has zero ownership in Skico

Ahhh that makes a lot of sense

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spwrozek posted:

That is awesome man. Nice that you were able to get after it! Can't wait to shred some powder, assuming it ever cools off this year.

It was a sketchy start to our season and it was getting real grim cover wise last week. Maybe one more storm before the temps crank up and it becomes slushville.

But if I can squeeze in some sticky wet turns then it's all gravy from here. 6 days paid for my season pass at day pass rates so anything beyond that is a blessing.

15 days total if I count my Canada trip in jan. maybe headed to Finland in March, aussies can enter but we can't leave home just yet. Hopefully we get the bug under control.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Hey Yall,
I know you have had a lot of time to do some thinking instead of skiing because of COVID. And I know the question on top of everyone's mind is, "Couldn't Amazon come up with some re-god-drat-ridiculous ski device? Preferably one that is completely unnecessary and reinvents an existing concept, just with a lot more problems?"

Well you are in luck! Or perhaps Bezos told his engineers that he never wants to ride a lift with a yabbering jerry again and this is the best they came up with. I present, the ski lift drone!

Picture taken from article, quoted in entirety below because of access issues with direct link here : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/08/23/end-ski-lift-amazon-patents-drone-can-drag-skiers-mountains/

mazon has patented a drone which could replace the ski lift by dragging skiers up a mountain using a tow handle.

The system works by attaching a retractable rope to a drone, along with a tow handle on the end of the rope.

When someone wants to travel up a slope, they summon a drone using their smartphone which sends their location to the drone.

The drone flies to their location and lowers the rope, so that the skier can hold on to the handle while the drone flies slowly up to the top of the slope.

Once the skier arrives at the top of the ski slope, the rope retracts and the drone flies away to be used another time.

Drone Ski Lift
"An extreme skier may use the towing system to reach a remote ski area or to customise their skiing experience (e.g., off a designated run and for reaching fresh powder)," Amazon wrote in the patent filing.

Elsewhere in the document, Amazon suggests that the drone tow handle could also be used for water-skiing or skateboarding.

The tow handle could be fitted with buttons that could be pressed to speed up the drone or to signal that the skier has reached where they want to travel to on the slope.

The patent application was written by Amazon executive Gur Kimchi, the vice president of the company’s drone delivery project.

Amazon isn’t the first business to investigate the potential of drones for skiing and snowboarding.

In 2016, Samsung sponsored a video in which YouTube star Casey Neistat uses a drone to snowboard up a mountain.

However, Amazon’s decision to patent a drone tow handle system doesn’t guarantee that the business will produce it. Many technology companies including Amazon patent technologies that they have no intention of producing.

Ski lift history
Amazon has a long history of patenting futuristic drone technologies. In 2016, it won a patent for an airship which could float above cities and provide a floating warehouse for drone deliveries.

Kimchi has also patented a miles-long whip which could be used to fling satellites into space, guided by drones before they leave orbit.

The Telegraph reported earlier this month that Amazon has almost doubled the number of people it employees in Cambridge who work on its “Prime Air” drone delivery system.

Amazon now employs more than 60 staff in the UK, including several “flight operators” who will fly the drones when they deliver parcels to customers.

In April, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the Government was conducting a trial to use drones to deliver supplies in the Isle of Wight.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

i wonder how large and loud a drone would have to be to accomplish that

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hey Yall,
I know you have had a lot of time to do some thinking instead of skiing because of COVID. And I know the question on top of everyone's mind is, "Couldn't Amazon come up with some re-god-drat-ridiculous ski device? Preferably one that is completely unnecessary and reinvents an existing concept, just with a lot more problems?"

Well you are in luck! Or perhaps Bezos told his engineers that he never wants to ride a lift with a yabbering jerry again and this is the best they came up with. I present, the ski lift drone!

Lol, yeah, no.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Friends, I’ve got four words for you: high speed magic carpet.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Alexa, get me in over my head

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bawfuls posted:

i wonder how large and loud a drone would have to be to accomplish that

Mini chopper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Squaw Valley is dropping Squaw from the name. New name coming in 2021, and will be implemented after winter season 2021.

Good on them, although not going to pretend that SV/Alterra is all of a sudden a scion of Goodness or anything. Also seems a little silly that it will take more than a year to implement a drat name change...

https://squawalpine.com/squaw-valley-name-change