Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

lol this is my least favorite part about summer in frankfurt. my body's sleep code clearly says "go to bed three hours after sunset, wake up with sunrise" and in furt that's like 3-4 hours in the middle of summer

I just wrap a blanket around my head and bury it under six pillows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just get proper curtains. everything else about the constant light is pretty nice. the constant dark in winter, now there's a problem not as easily solved.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
we have a sun lamp, it legitimately helps w/ winter doldrums

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

President Beep posted:

i would be furious if it was daylight for 24 hrs

if i had the money i'd spend winters in the northern and southern hemispheres, respectively.

lol I thought I would look up what's on the opposite parallel latitude to me and the only location I could go for opposite seasons is Isla Grande de Tierra del Fuego in Argentina; it doesn't look like a super exciting place I have to be honest.

Apr 7, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just get proper curtains. everything else about the constant light is pretty nice. the constant dark in winter, now there's a problem not as easily solved.

I use a AC window unit in my bedroom

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i use a bed

Apr 7, 2003

Your mom also uses a bed, if you know what I mean.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cold on a Cob posted:

coming up next on tlc,
House swap is a logical extension of spouse swap

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Your mom also uses a bed, if you know what I mean.

yea, probably

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

that’s not a problem tho

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

just get proper curtains

i have big bay windows 18 feet in the air

kind of impossible

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

that’s not a problem tho

yeah. the solution is to get under your nice covers and sleep well because its comfortable as gently caress

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My dad knew a few people who worked at the Keflavik nato base in the 70s and their technique of choice was to tape tinfoil to the windows in the summer.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

graph posted:

kind of impossible

at least the circumstances cured me of feeling sympathy for your problems.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

graph posted:

yeah. the solution is to get under your nice covers and sleep well because its comfortable as gently caress

i even like dark days. like to be out and about in the evening/on stormy days.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

kind of impossible

just text threefive and have him come over and hang them?

Apr 7, 2003

i've been misreading that as "big boy windows" all day lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cold on a Cob posted:

coming up next on tlc,

i prefer the fox program night swap: meet your new daytime

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

President Beep posted:

visit Sweden in November :shepicide:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

yes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
everything is better when the sun is shining

don’t love hot days so much but that late late evening in summer is a feast to enjoy and waking up with the sunshine before you have to get up is gold. waking up when it’s dark outside and leaving for work and arriving to work when it’s dark, spending the entire sun-day at work and then leaving when it’s dark? I hatey

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

everything is better when the sun is shining

don’t love hot days so much but that late late evening in summer is a feast to enjoy and waking up with the sunshine before you have to get up is gold. waking up when it’s dark outside and leaving for work and arriving to work when it’s dark, spending the entire sun-day at work and then leaving when it’s dark? I hatey

i know you’re in the backward hemisphere, but what gets me through the winter is the holidays, winter holidays have the best themes, renewal, fresh starts, all that.

there’s something great about all the traditions about death and rebirth during the winter, specifically that they let me remain in denial about all the stupid poo poo i did last year so I don’t notice im fuckin up this year too until may or june if I am lucky.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i’ve always done really well in the cold, even before and since being a well-insulated fatass

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
also in austin there’s really no such thing as a cold winter.

it might freeze once, and you have 3 months where temps might regularly be below 50°F. the sun still sets before I leave work in dec/jan/feb, but it’s not like inside and outside have a huge temperature difference.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i know you’re in the backward hemisphere, but what gets me through the winter is the holidays, winter holidays have the best themes, renewal, fresh starts, all that.

there’s something great about all the traditions about death and rebirth during the winter, specifically that they let me remain in denial about all the stupid poo poo i did last year so I don’t notice im fuckin up this year too until may or june if I am lucky.

um you haven’t experienced christmas unless it’s a baking hot day and everyone is outside having a bbq

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the sun still sets before I leave work in dec/jan/feb,

grim af mate

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

echinopsis posted:

grim af mate
It's probably also dark on the way in

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

It's probably also dark on the way in

yeah and then people wonder why the national motto on the one-litre milknote under the picture of Cow (by famous engraver Czesław Słania) is "when you're born a baby and die drunk, you won't even know you've ever visited the bad world"

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
tweaked something in my wrist and now computer touching hurts.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

ultravoices posted:

tweaked something in my wrist and now computer touching hurts.

same but my brain instead of my wrist

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

rotor posted:

same but my brain instead of my wrist

same but both

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My wrist is sore from playing Fallout 4 for like five hours last night.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
well its official, i have stared at screens so much i have ruined my eyes and now I need eye surgery to fix them

its 100% occupational, my eye muscles are healthy my retinas are great and I didn't even need glasses as a child but now I have double vision past like 6 ft. The opthamologist said it's really common now and it wasn't even thing when he went to school. Also there is 50% I'll need another surgery later.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Perplx posted:

well its official, i have stared at screens so much i have ruined my eyes and now I need eye surgery to fix them

its 100% occupational, my eye muscles are healthy my retinas are great and I didn't even need glasses as a child but now I have double vision past like 6 ft. The opthamologist said it's really common now and it wasn't even thing when he went to school. Also there is 50% I'll need another surgery later.

Obviously the treatment is not looking at things farther than 6 ft away.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Obviously the treatment is not looking at things farther than 6 ft away.

95% of the time im looking at screen so its not a problem, my wake up call was when i was driving (i never drive) and saw 2 of everything and couldn't tell which one was real

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

After years of resistance I got a CPAP to treat my snoring and sleep apnea. it owns. Previously I was waking up like 3 or 4 times a night because I thought I needed to piss, turns out I just couldn’t breathe. i was tired all the time

Now I sleep right through and I don’t snore so my wife hates me 1% less. I feel super well rested when I wake up.

I do gotta wear a lovely darth vader mask when I sleep but it’s worth it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jfc. headache and body aches all day. also noticed a bunch more gray hairs. gently caress.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

jfc. headache and body aches all day. also noticed a bunch more gray hairs. gently caress.
rekt

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I've had migraines 4 times so far this week. one bad one, two tiny ones, and one that it seems came on in my sleep but messed me up all day

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

If I’d been came in in my sleep I’d be having a rough day too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I turn 40 next week and I feel pretty good. Enjoy your decaying bodies, fuckers! Gonna go for a bike ride Saturday!