Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i posted on it in the bubble thread but i beat the outer wilds 2 weeks ago

i extremely appreciate and respect the creators of that game and can talk about it at length

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Share Bear posted:

i posted on it in the bubble thread but i beat the outer wilds 2 weeks ago

i extremely appreciate and respect the creators of that game and can talk about it at length
:same: it’s an amazing game

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

lmfao at the last bit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jre posted:

lmfao at the last bit.

reminds me of when i realized you could literally win any race in need for speed poo poo if you had enough money to buy a lamborghini or whatever that was shaped like a wedge, and drove under all the other cars.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

The battlebots maneuver

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
must... not... post... about... cops.... in... james.... thread...

Anyone know a good, but cheap, gaming monitor? I'm eating input lag in the 20-60ms range due to old, low refresh rate monitors and it bothers me. The only things that matter to me are low input lag and high refresh rate. Colors and 4k can take a walk.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

TimWinter posted:

must... not... post... about... cops.... in... james.... thread...

Anyone know a good, but cheap, gaming monitor? I'm eating input lag in the 20-60ms range due to old, low refresh rate monitors and it bothers me. The only things that matter to me are low input lag and high refresh rate. Colors and 4k can take a walk.

I've had an LG IPS LED monitor and it gets 60hz but has zero lag from gaming in the past two years and I think it was like $150 at the time.
It's my side monitor now.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
satisfactory :
worked out can build poo poo from up in a lookout tower. excellent for running a conveyor past some aliens that i didn’t want to deal with just yet

also someone please tell me that something like a filter exists in that game at some stage??

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I gave dark souls remastered or whatever another shot. it's engaging, and can be rewarding, but is mostly a gigantic pain in the rear end.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

satisfactory :
worked out can build poo poo from up in a lookout tower. excellent for running a conveyor past some aliens that i didn’t want to deal with just yet

also someone please tell me that something like a filter exists in that game at some stage??

research caterium

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I gave dark souls remastered or whatever another shot. it's engaging, and can be rewarding, but is mostly a gigantic pain in the rear end.

is there anything in particular that’s giving you trouble

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Weedle posted:

is there anything in particular that’s giving you trouble

just another time when I'm stuck on a boss that kills me in a few seconds (capra demon). I know it's supposed to be a hard encounter - the room is very small and there are two dogs as well - but stuff like that makes a lot of warts in the game stand out. You have to run along the same unnecessarily long corridors fighting the same mooks in the same way each time you want to fight the boss only to be killed in seconds without touching it because a roll went funny or you mis-timed an attack. Even leveling once or twice or getting a somewhat better gear wouldn't really help because of the magnitude of damage. It's the sort of thing where I sunk an hour into trying today and most of that was spend killing the same few mobs and walking down this one corridor. I managed to bring it down to half health one time, but then it was back to <20s, ~10s, <1 min, 5s, etc

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that sounds so terrible. I don't understand how that is fun at all. but I am glad of people like it don't get me wrong

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

capra demon is a real bastard on your first run. if you can avoid the first attack and get up the stairs you can kill the dogs and then it's way easier. what level are you?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1296670308359864321

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah if you can kill the dogs the easiest/most tedious way to kill him is to let him follow you up the stairs, then jump off the ledge, then hit him once or twice when he jumps off after you and does a recover animation. repeat until dead

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

haveblue posted:

yeah if you can kill the dogs the easiest/most tedious way to kill him is to let him follow you up the stairs, then jump off the ledge, then hit him once or twice when he jumps off after you and does a recover animation. repeat until dead

i have no more patience for learning boss patterns. just give me the masamune sword, i'll do one juke and chop his head off, ok?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Roosevelt posted:

i have no more patience for learning boss patterns. just give me the masamune sword, i'll do one juke and chop his head off, ok?

same but the crissaegrim

Weedle
May 31, 2006

just another time when I'm stuck on a boss that kills me in a few seconds (capra demon). I know it's supposed to be a hard encounter - the room is very small and there are two dogs as well - but stuff like that makes a lot of warts in the game stand out. You have to run along the same unnecessarily long corridors fighting the same mooks in the same way each time you want to fight the boss only to be killed in seconds without touching it because a roll went funny or you mis-timed an attack. Even leveling once or twice or getting a somewhat better gear wouldn't really help because of the magnitude of damage. It's the sort of thing where I sunk an hour into trying today and most of that was spend killing the same few mobs and walking down this one corridor. I managed to bring it down to half health one time, but then it was back to <20s, ~10s, <1 min, 5s, etc

hmm. yeah capra is the first big difficulty spike and he hosed me up a bunch of times on my first playthrough. i always kill the dogs asap so they can’t trap/pin me, then do the stair loop trick. sometimes he gets caught next to the stairs while you’re on them—if this happens, take the opportunity for a plunging attack to do insane damage

i also like to bring a shield with 100% physical damage reduction and good stability so i can block a hit from capra without getting flattened. the wolf ring from darkroot garden can help with this too. being able to survive even one big hit from him makes a huge difference

what kind of character and gear are you using, and have you upgraded your weapon and shield (if applicable) to +5?

if you’re really just fed up with the game then never mind any of this but i really love playing and talking about dark souls and i want to help other people find the same joy in it that i do. i think it is a very special game

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
just throw doodoo over the archway if its gonna get you all riled up

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I started Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen expecting a simple open-world ARPG to run around and chop monsters; while you can play it like that it seems more balanced to a player who wants to tinker with the shitload of subsurface mechanics for the main character vocations, your follower / pawn setups and all the gear and alchemy tinkering. I made the mistake of reading some of the wiki stuff and honestly it's put me off a bit that I'm not interested in sinking so much effort in to play the way it's meant to be played.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I think I'm level 27 and playing a knight.

you guys are absolutely right about the general strat - I need to just dodge the initial murder swipes, go up the stairs, kill the dogs when they follow me, and then just not suck and kill the demon. that's what I did when I got him to half health. I just keep loving up one of those things

Bored Online posted:

just throw doodoo over the archway if its gonna get you all riled up

i actually tried this! I apparently wasn't hitting him, though - I went through a stack of 20 poops with no result

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I started Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen expecting a simple open-world ARPG to run around and chop monsters; while you can play it like that it seems more balanced to a player who wants to tinker with the shitload of subsurface mechanics for the main character vocations, your follower / pawn setups and all the gear and alchemy tinkering. I made the mistake of reading some of the wiki stuff and honestly it's put me off a bit that I'm not interested in sinking so much effort in to play the way it's meant to be played.

you might want to use a wiki for sidequests because it's really easy to go slightly too far in the story and have them lock and become unfinishable. you get no warning when that's about to happen.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

replaying new vegas again. maybe this time ill do something other than mr house or yes man but i highly doubt it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Action Jacktion posted:

you might want to use a wiki for sidequests because it's really easy to go slightly too far in the story and have them lock and become unfinishable. you get no warning when that's about to happen.

yeah I already saw I locked out the Lost Property / Witch quests :mad: I think I might do a soft-reset by flipping to hard mode and back and then just re-power through the missions I've already done before; I have like 20 hours playtime but over half that has just been running round the world map killing goblins and bandits and exploring.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

jesus WEP posted:

replaying new vegas again. maybe this time ill do something other than mr house or yes man but i highly doubt it
NCR is for cops and demmicrats

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

satisfactory :

you can always build a little house to hide in to take a break from fighting. also they don't respawn if there's enough built stuff around.

you do get filter splitters but i have never ever come across a reason to use one. wth are you doing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

that sounds so terrible. I don't understand how that is fun at all. but I am glad of people like it don't get me wrong

yeah, this has been my experience with dark souls. i want to murder everything i see, not get killed in one hit by basic enemies because i mis-timed a roll or whatever

relatedly, i've been playing control, and once you get a couple upgrades, it gets super fun flinging desks at dudes, shooting off a clip, and then hypotizing them to help you out

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I think I'm level 27 and playing a knight.

you guys are absolutely right about the general strat - I need to just dodge the initial murder swipes, go up the stairs, kill the dogs when they follow me, and then just not suck and kill the demon. that's what I did when I got him to half health. I just keep loving up one of those things

i actually tried this! I apparently wasn't hitting him, though - I went through a stack of 20 poops with no result

iirc the knight's beginning loadout is heavy enough to make you slow roll--are you still using that armor? if so, try swapping it for something lighter if you have it, or just taking some off. mobility is more important than armor protection in this fight and being able to roll away from an attack and recover quickly is huge. also, about how much of his life bar are you taking off per hit? does it look like it's going to take a bunch of hits to kill him?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
one thing to keep in mind with dark souls, you'll see this if you watch speedrun videos, is that you don't have to kill or even engage with all the enemies on the way to the boss. like if you are just running back to fight capra for the umpteenth time, now that you know the route, there is usually a way that you can run through all the enemies and get to the fog door before they catch up. also capra is technically optional

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh yeah did u open the aqueduct gate

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

you can ignore all that poo poo if you're not like trying to go through bitterblack isle at level 1. pick a fun class, make your pawn a support, hire near-level pawns in the rift with classes you want to support you and just go adventuring. upgrade equipment and skills when you take a break back in town. it's not a game you're going to see all of the first playthrough

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Weedle posted:

iirc the knight's beginning loadout is heavy enough to make you slow roll--are you still using that armor? if so, try swapping it for something lighter if you have it, or just taking some off. mobility is more important than armor protection in this fight and being able to roll away from an attack and recover quickly is huge. also, about how much of his life bar are you taking off per hit? does it look like it's going to take a bunch of hits to kill him?

yeah i was legit going insane until i figured out that i needed to unequip a lot of the starting gear to make my dude not move like molasses. i have the drake sword so i am doing decent damage, but i could be doing more. apparently dude is weak v. fire so i can buy a fire amber thing to help

i did open the aqueduct gate, thankfully

DELETE CASCADE posted:

one thing to keep in mind with dark souls, you'll see this if you watch speedrun videos, is that you don't have to kill or even engage with all the enemies on the way to the boss. like if you are just running back to fight capra for the umpteenth time, now that you know the route, there is usually a way that you can run through all the enemies and get to the fog door before they catch up. also capra is technically optional

interesting. maybe i'll look into that

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The fights on the way to Capra are there to teach you some lessons and Capra himself is the examiner who checks to see if you've learned them.

Take control of your positioning and the terms of the engagement basically. Don't allow yourself to be engaged right at the door on his terms, rush past up the stairs and engage him on yours.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

there's a Samurai Jack game that came out today. idk if it's any good, and it's kind of expensive, but it's cool that they made a samurai jack game

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Roosevelt posted:

there's a Samurai Jack game that came out today. idk if it's any good, and it's kind of expensive, but it's cool that they made a samurai jack game

it looks like a mobile game imo, and i see it is on apple arcade...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
watched a bit of a video and it looks pretty bad, an average licensed game

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
im worried baldurs gate 3 is gonna be bad

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

haveblue posted:

watched a bit of a video and it looks pretty bad, an average licensed game
anything short of a mgs revengeance style sword action game was going to fail to capture the the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

im worried baldurs gate 3 is gonna be bad

it'll never make you 14 again which is what everyone wants

I bet it'll be decent